Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ I Skip the Little Ones ❯ Theme 4: Grave ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SPOLIER WARNING FOR CHAPTERS 100-101 OF THE MANGA. Does not exist for the BROTHERHOOD ANIME as of yet, but when it does I will update. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
 
Theme 4: Grave
 
Heroes Often Fail
 
Riza had told him it was a nice day. Blues skies with a few white clouds; green grass; not a hint of rain. She was at the car, down the hill; he could hear her talking quietly to Fullmetal's mechanic, Winry Rockbell.
 
There was a soft rustling sound to his right. He thought it was Fullmetal shifting his weight. “Come on, Ling. You can't stay here all day.” The boy's voice was subdued. Roy knew he had liked the bodyguard, but Fullmetal hadn't the slightest notion of what Ling was going through. Roy himself had tried to go down that path in his thoughts before, and had shuddered away from the dark abyss that had awaited him.
 
Ling grunted; the sound came from below, so he must still be kneeling before the grave. It had a nice gravestone: they had let him touch it; Riza had read it to him. His hand tightened around the cane. “You go ahead,” Ling said dully. “You don't need to stay here with me.”
 
“Ling-.”
 
“Edward.”
 
The boy stopped for a moment. Roy figured it was the tone of his voice, or maybe Ling had the haunted look of a despairing man whose grief could hold even a homunculus at bay. Despite wearing that face several times himself, he could only imagine what it looked like. He was certain his imaginings fell short.
 
Fullmetal, stupid boy that he was - No, that was wrong never stupid, but horrendously naïve, that was it, horrendously naïve, he rather liked that - Fullmetal, horrendously naïve as he was, began again.
 
“L-!”
 
What if it had been Winry, Ed? You would be sitting here like me.” The Xing's voice was harsh.
 
“What-? I don't -! It's not like- she's just a…” Elric sputtered. Roy could practically hear the blood rushing to his cheeks.
 
“I see the way you look at her, Ed, don't try and hide it. Mustang! Wipe that smirk off your face. If it wasn't for Ran Fan, that General of yours would be dead, and you'd be the one in the dirt. Don't try to pretend differently; even though you're blind, you always talk directly to her face.” The prince stopped abruptly, probably staring at the grave again.
 
Ed, however, wasn't done. “You and General Hawkeye? Huh. I wonder if she knows. Should I tell her?” Roy could almost see his insolent grin.
 
“Breathe a word, and your mechanic will hear all about your crush, Fullmetal.”
 
“Okay, okay. I was just joking.” A pause. “The Führer and his assistant, huh? How cliché.”
 
Roy didn't hear him, his mind being elsewhere. Finally, “It's so hard to remember her face. Every day it gets harder, but I keep trying.” His hands shook around the cane. “What happens when I forget it entirely?” There was a rough pain in his voice. He stopped talking; he hadn't meant to reveal that much, especially not to Fullmetal, Ling, and Greed.
 
Silence stretched for an unbearably long time to Roy. “What are you doing? Damn it!” Without waiting for a reply, he swung about in the direction of the car, his cane held out in front of him like a lifeline.
 
He heard footsteps in the grass. “I'm here,” a warm voice murmured in his ear. A firm hand gently grasped his arm, leading him on a path slightly to the left of the one he'd been walking, presumably toward the car. “What were you talking about?” General Riza Hawkeye asked.
 
“Not much,” Roy replied. He could feel her anxiety in her grip. He placed his free hand on hers. “”There's nothing to worry about.” Even though he could not be sure, he was certain his blank eyes were staring directly into her mahogany ones.
 
Apparently she found something there, for she noticeably relaxed. “Very good, sir,” she said. As she spoke, a spark of light flitted into his enforced darkness.
 
It was only for a moment.
 
It was enough for a new purpose to enter his life, possibly the most important one to date.
 
One day, he would see her face again.
 
It was enough.