Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ I Skip the Little Ones ❯ Theme 6: Death ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme 6: Death
Sleeping Pills
 
He died today.
 
We celebrated his 73rd birthday just last month. Edward and Winry and their girls came to visit, as did Alphonse and Mei and their son Henry; Lizzie and Xing-ke were with Emperor Ling Yao in Xing still, so they couldn't come. Elysia stopped by. She's grown so much. Martin came in from Lior. His sister Lauren and her husband Patrick brought baby Louis - he's adorable, he has his mother's eyes, and she has her father's eyes, which brings me back to the fact that he died today.
 
I held his hand. He wouldn't get out of bed this morning. He said that there was no point. He looked at me with those blank eyes of his and smiled straight at me. He always knew exactly where I was, even though he couldn't see me. I'm not sure even he knew how he did it. His hair was mostly grey, now, not the same raven black, but I hadn't even noticed it change.
 
He died today.
I held his hand.
I am now a widow. He looked at me and smiled. He said, “I'll be waiting for you, Riza. Make me wait. Make me wait a long time. Promise?” And I did. He never told me how long a long time was, though, which was rather forgetful of him; he was always forgetting things like that. Then his eyes, his cloudy eyes, cleared and were sharp and black and piercing again. I knew he could see, and I nearly cried. Then he said, “You have such beautiful eyes, Riza. Such beautiful eyes.” And I did cry. Then he said, “How ironic, to see you just now; at least I can die happily, now” in that infuriating way of his. Then the breath went out of him and he died.
 
He died today.
I held his hand.
I am now a widow.
It's been three hours. I can't wait anymore. I can't live alone anymore, not without knowing I'll be seeing him eventually. That's why I joined the military in the first place. He's not coming back through the door this time, though.
 
He died today.
I held his hand.
I'm now a widow.
It's been three hours.
I thought about using a gun. Then I realized it would be Lauren or Martin or Patrick or Elysia or another of our friends or family who found us, and there was no reason to scar them with a bloody mess. So I took pills instead. I'll just get back in bed with him and go to sleep. That's how they'll find us: Curled up and asleep, peaceful, happy.
 
He died today.
 
I held his hand.
 
I'm now a widow.
 
It's been three hours.
 
I thought about using a gun.
 
 
 
I'm going to sleep.