Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Impossible! ❯ Spark ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Impossible
 
Chapter Three
 
Spark
 
 
 
 
Rizenbool, July 2nd 1910
 
 
Protein 3.3%, lactose 4.8%, fat 3.8%, minerals 0.71%, and many other additional emulsions - the basic composition of cow milk. The ideal blend of liquid food to help human recover from sickness and injuries.
 
 
 
Winry sighed.
 
 
 
Milk is healthy, everybody knows that.
 
 
 
It was just a shame one particular blonde boy sitting at the diner in front of Winry didn't seem to think so.
 
 
 
Edward glared at a glass of milk in front of him with hatred.
 
 
 
 
Winry bounced a wooden spatula from one hand to another in a threatening manner. “Drink it!” she ordered sternly.
 
 
 
“No,” he replied evenly, but eyed the spatula in alarm.
 
 
 
“Drink it. It's good for your health.”
 
 
 
“No!”
 
 
 
“Ed! You're still weak! Milk will help you to recover better!”
 
 
 
“I'll recover just fine without milk!”
 
 
 
Winry felt her blood heat. She really wanted to throw the spatula at the boy's blonde head, but she decided to give him one more chance. “If you want to have that automail surgery the day after tomorrow, you have to build your immune system!”
 
 
 
His eyes snapped to hers and he frowned, “What's the matter with you?! You never complained if I didn't drink my milk before!”
 
 
 
Winry froze, but she managed to recover quickly. “Y-you were healthy back then! Right now you're injured, and automail surgery is painful! You have to get your immune system back as soon as possible if you want the surgery to go well!”
 
 
 
“The surgery will still be painful, milk or no milk!” he replied stubbornly.
 
 
 
Winry stomped her foot in frustration, “Why don't you just drink it?! It's not like you'll die from it!”
 
 
 
He drummed his only hand to the table impatiently, glaring at her, “I don't drink milk, Winry I can't believe that you would forget it.”
 
 
 
Winry glared back. “I did not forget! I just want…,” she trailed off, eyes downcast.
 
 
 
What did she want?
 
 
 
Her voice wavered. “I just want you to be well again….”
 
 
 
Edward's eyes widened in shock, but she didn't know that.
 
 
 
They went into an awkward silence. It was weird and new. They used to talk and laugh about their previous adventures or pranks. Despite some little heated arguments every now and then; they had never had a tense and pregnant silence before.
 
 
 
 
 
Winry could hear the clanging sound of Alphonse's footsteps as he moved along the hallway. He was helping clean the house since Grandma Pinako had left for Rush Valley the day before.
 
 
 
“Just… drink it. Please,” she finally said.
 
 
 
Edward looked away as if he didn't want to face her. “No.”
 
 
 
She was angry again. “Drink it, Edward!” she shouted his full name. She only used his full name when she was really angry, and he knew that.
 
 
 
“No!” he snapped and slammed his hands to the wooden table. His eyes returned to hers, “You're acting weird, Winry! I'm not listening to a friend that I don't know anymore!”
 
 
 
Winry slammed both of her hands down the table. She couldn't say anything for a while. Her eyes were burning, and her breath shortened; she felt suffocated. She glared back at him. “You…” she growled through her gritted teeth, “You have no right to say that!”
 
 
 
She pointed at Edward in an accusing manner, “Who was the one who kept secrets from me? Who was the one who could not accept reality and move on?!”
 
 
 
Edward's eyes widened again, like he was afraid of her.
 
 
 
She continued shouting, “Who was the one the one that could not get over his guilt when his transmutation failed? Who was the one who lost his mind and makes me so scared and worried?!”
 
 
 
Ed opened his mouth as if to say something but in the end he only gaped like a fish.
 
 
 
Winry was so angry that she didn't care what she was saying anymore, “It's you, Edward! You did this! You! You! You!”
 
 
 
Her hands fell to her sides; she clenched them tightly. “You have no faith in me, Ed. I'm not trying to kill you, I only want to help…”
 
 
 
“Winry…”
 
 
 
“Shut up,” she retorted. She spun on her heel ran away from the kitchen. She knocked into Alphonse who stood by the door on her way out. It seemed that he had heard the slamming and came to see what had been going on.
 
 
 
But once again, she didn't care.
 
 
 
Winry went down the hall, through some sets of doors, and came face to face with a dark wooden door. She turned the knob and opened it.
 
 
 
A bedroom - her parent's bedroom.
 
 
 
Some people might have cleaned the room of their deceased loved ones a little while after the funeral, and then they would move on. Grandma Pinako tried to, but Winry begged and cried that her grandma would not do it. In the end, Grandma Pinako had given up on the condition that Winry had to clean the room herself when she was ready.
 
 
 
Winry had tried several times, but every time she would end up lying on the bed, smelling its old scent of sandalwood and faint dust, trying to catch the scent of her parents. Sometimes she could smell them, but most times she could not. It may have only been her imagination, but she'd accepted what she could get.
 
 
 
This time, she had not come to clean the room. She went straight to the bed and threw herself on it. She sighed loudly.
 
 
 
She regretted snapping at Edward already. Now everything between them would be more awkward. How could she be supportive if they barely talked to each other?
 
 
 
Winry flipped her body so she faced the ceiling.
 
 
 
She had said that he had no right to say that he no longer knew her, that he had no faith in her. But on the other hand, she didn't have the right to tell him to move on.
 
 
 
Moving on is hard. She was experiencing it first hand.
 
 
 
Growing up hurt really bad, and now she went through it everyday.
 
 
 
But…
 
 
 
The world would not wait for her. The world would not stop and see if she could keep up with its pace or not, or if she had fallen and hurt her knees.
 
 
 
What would you do if you know that someone would not wait for you?
 
 
 
Winry knew what to do.
 
 
 
Slowly, she sat up and slid away from the bed. She walked to a wooden cupboard and opened it. Her parent's clothes.
 
 
 
She eyed the wooden box that stood near the cupboard.
 
 
 
With shaking hands, she reached for one of pieces of clothing that were hanging inside the cupboard. It was her father's trousers. She discarded the hanger, folded the clothes, and then put it at the very bottom of the wooden box.
 
 
 
That was how Alphonse found her, almost done cleaning her parent's wardrobe.
 
 
 
“Winry…” he said her name rather hesitantly.
 
 
 
She turned to him and smiled, “I'm going to apologize to Ed.”
 
 
 
Even if she could not see expression in his metal face, she knew that she had surprised him. “Ah…” was his response.
 
 
 
“He is still in the kitchen, right?” she asked.
 
 
 
“Uh, Yea…”
 
 
 
Winry nodded then left the room, but suddenly she stopped and looked at Al over her shoulder. He was still looking inside the room.
 
 
 
She smiled, “Al? After I apologize to Ed, would you help me clean my parent's bedroom?”
 
 
 
His gaze snapped back to meet hers, “Oh… yeah. Sure, Winry.”
 
 
 
“Thanks.”
 
 
 
Winry went back in the kitchen. Ed was still sitting by the dining table, his back to hers. She could not see his left hand; it looked like it was set on the table in front of him.
 
 
 
“Ed?”
 
 
 
He half turned to her, looking surprised that she was talking to him sooner than he expected.
 
 
 
She gave him an apologetic smile, “I'm sorry. I shouldn't have blamed you for what I felt. It's not your fault.”
 
 
 
He turned away again. “No, Winry…. You're right,” he said, “Everything is my fault. I shouldn't have kept anything from you in the first place. You're a good friend and you have the right to know. Maybe then you would have stopped me from making that sin.”
 
 
 
Winry shook her head even if he could not see her. She laughed tiredly, “Ed, you're afraid that I would make you change your mind, and you know well that you didn't want to be stopped.”
 
 
 
“I'm sorry,” was his reply.
 
 
 
She walked to him. “I'm sorry, too.” She stood on his left side and offered her left little finger, “Promise we'll start trusting each other?”
 
 
 
He looked back and forth between her hand and her face in caution; like he was afraid she would burst. She put on an encouraging smile.
 
 
 
“I trust you,” Ed said.
 
 
 
“I mean, more than this,”
 
 
 
He sighed, “Okay, I promise.”
 
 
 
He did not hook his little finger to hers, but he took her wrist and gave her hand a reassuring grasp.
 
 
 
Winry felt something right then, when his hand gripped hers firmly, and his golden eyes stared deep into hers. Something fluttered in her stomach and her heartbeat quickened. She quickly pulled her hand away. She never realized that Edward had pulled his hand away as eagerly as she. A faint tint of red appeared on both of their cheeks.
 
 
 
Her eyes wandered, searching for anything other than his magnetic gaze. She found an empty glass of milk on the table in front of him.
 
 
 
Her eyebrows lifted, “Ed, where did the milk go?”
 
 
 
“What?”
 
 
 
“The milk, where did it go?” she turned to face him.
 
 
 
“Uh…” was his only response.
 
 
 
She then saw something that made her smile and her heart warm. She shook her head with a sigh and took the glass to the sink. “It's okay. You don't have to answer,” a smile grew on her face.
 
 
 
He said nothing, but she kept smiling.
 
 
 
Edward could be so sweet and cute sometimes; too bad he only did it when nobody was around to see. But that did not mean that someone could not find out what he had done. If you looked hard enough, he usually left small pieces of evidences unintentionally.
 
 
 
Like at that moment, for example.
 
 
 
Edward had a faint ring of white liquid around his lips.
 
 
 
Guess what he had done.
 
 
 
Ooo TBC ooO
 
 
REPLIES
 
Kiki14: Sorry! I've just read your review in CHANGES. No,no,no…^_^ Actually I wrote “Changes” first before writing this story. When writing “Changes” I realized that there were a lot of things I want to write but it will confuse the readers if I jammed them together in a one-shot. So… yes, you can think this story as a PREQUEL to “Changes”. Confusing huh? Thanksfor reviewing, hope you enjoyed this chapter, too!