Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Keeping up with the Elrics, Searching for Love ❯ Changing Times ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 3: Changing Times
 
Although he was extremely busy lately, Hughes always took time at least three times a day to go to the basement to see his `little kitten', Roary. “Papa, do we have company or something?” Roary was referring to the extra noise coming from the first floor. It was snowing again and Roary had just had her tenth birthday a few weeks earlier.
 
“Yes Kitten, we do, two young boys.” Hughes told her. Roary perked up upon hearing this. She was getting board playing with only herself and Hughes and liked the idea of new playmates. She was also getting to the age where she was getting interested in boys. “So, make sure you stay down here while they're visiting.” Hughes finished his speech making himself very clear to her.
 
“Yes Papa.” Roary went back to her homework; her father had gotten her home schooling materials since she couldn't go to school. “Papa?” She asked as Hughes headed up the stairs. “Did Mama Hughes have her baby yet?”
 
Hughes shook his head. “Don't worry, Kitten, I'll be sure to tell you when she does.” He smiled. “Love you Kitten, don't stay up too late.”
 
“Yes Papa, love you too.” She smiled back at him and watched Hughes leave up the stairs for the night. `He just doesn't get that cat's are nocturnal.' Roary rolled her eyes. She loved Hughes but he was such a goofball sometimes.
 
 
A few nights later Roary couldn't help herself from sneaking upstairs. She had to find out what all the commotion was about earlier, and she had a good guess. She crept upstairs and into Hughes' and Gracia's room. Hughes had kept himself awake, knowing Roary would be up to investigate. He quietly walked to Roary in the doorway of the bedroom. “You want to see your new baby sister, Elysia?” He whispered.
 
Roary nodded excitedly. Hughes took her to the baby's room, picked up Elysia, and handed her carefully to Roary. “She's so cute!” Roary gushed. “I can't believe I'm really a big sister!”
 
Hughes smiled. “Yes Kitten, you are.” He said as the sleeping Elysia began to stir and make noise. “But please keep it down; you don't want to wake Elysia now do you?” Roary shook her head. Hughes then carefully took the baby and put her back in her crib, giving Elysia a kiss on the forehead. Hughes glanced at Roary knowing what the sad look she was giving him was for. “Don't worry, Kitten, I'm not playing any favorites.” Hughes then kissed Roary on the forehead also and went to the basement with Roary to tuck her in.
 
But Roary was a curious cat. She also wanted to see the `two young boys' that had come to visit. She went back upstairs, creeping around until she finally spotted them in one of the guest rooms. As she snuck in the room Roary noticed one of the boys wearing a full suit of armor. `That's odd.' She thought then saw him. He was a gorgeous blonde being, illuminated by the moon. Roary felt herself being drawn to him; not even noticing his metal limbs. `He's beautiful.' She thought as she stared at Ed.
 
Roary sat and stared at him all night until dawn when everyone began to stir. She went back down to her basement bedroom, not knowing that someone was watching her all night as well.
 
During breakfast Al asked Ed if he saw the `little cat-girl' that was watching him last night. Ed just said Al was crazy. “There's no such thing as `little cat-girls.'”
 
 
Hughes sat at his desk. On the side he was doing research on Roary. Not to be cruel but to learn more about her. She herself didn't know what all happened the night her parents died. And when Hughes offered to help her and look into it she agreed. Finally Hughes' work paid off and he at last found something. `Of course! That's why her name sounded so familiar.' Hughes thought as he read.
 
State Alchemist James P. Wesscott and his wife Elizabeth S. Wesscott died November 11. Military personal were ordered to kill James, and anyone who got in the way, for illegal alchemy research. James and his wife were killed, there was no sign of their daughter Lorali R. Wesscott and was thought to have escaped but was not pursued.
 
`This doesn't make any sense.' Hughes thought after reading the excerpt from an old file. `What kind of “illegal research” was he doing? Did he do this to Roary, or did the military? Roary's had more of a hard life then I thought. I'll get to the bottom of this… don't you worry Kitten.' Hughes ended up with more questions then answers.
 
 
`How could this happen? I don't understand! Just when my life was finally beginning to come together. Papa was going to tell Mama Hughes about me and everything! He promised! What happened? No! Papa can't be dead! He can't be!' Roary had just overheard Gracia talking to a policeman at the door. Maes Hughes was found dead in a park. Roary had been with Hughes for almost over six years. He now was her father. Roary wept in her room. `What am I suppose to do now?' Roary thought then she remembered something Hughes had told her. `The Elrics, I have to find Edward and Alphonse Elric.'
 
____________________________Flashback____________________________
 
A burglar had just been about to rob the house when Hughes and Gracia arrived home. No one was hurt and nothing was stolen but it caused quit a stir in the house. It scared poor eleven year old Roary, who was home alone, to death. Hughes was in her room soothing her.
 
“Roary, Kitten, I know no one was hurt tonight but listen to me. Should anything happen to me find the Elrics, do not go to Gracia, understand? Later I will introduce you but right now if anything should happen…You must find Edward and Alphonse Elric.” Roary nodded in understanding her adoptive father's request.
 
___________________________End Flashback_________________________
 
Roary had dozed off again. She was hiding under a bush as it rained. She was dreaming of Hughes again, how she missed her adoptive father. It hurt just to think about it. She now lost two sets of parents. Her eyes became heavy again and then everything went black.
 
“Make sure you cover everything!” Russell Tringham yelled over the storm to his brother who was helping him cover the plants to protect them from the wind and rain.
 
“I will!” Fletcher Tringham called back, and then screamed suddenly for Russell.
 
Russell ran over to his little brother. “What is it? What's wrong?” Fletcher pointed to something under a raspberry bush. “My god!” Russell gasped as he saw the wet creature in a heap. “Fletcher you finish covering the plants while I bring it inside.” He told his brother and carefully hoisted Roary in his arms and carried her inside the small house out of the rain. Fletcher did as he was told and quickly came inside.
 
 
“I think she's coming to, brother.” Roary heard a voice say as she groggily woke up.
 
“That's good to hear.” Roary heard another, different voice, a deeper one. “She's been out for almost a week.” Russell said.
 
Had Roary heard him right? Had she really been out that long? Roary opened her green-gold eyes slowly and thought she was dreaming as her blurry vision came into focus. “Ed… ward…”
 
“Um… well no. I'm Russell Tringham; this is my little brother Fletcher.” Russell introduced, he thought he had better not put on a show for the girl. The poor thing looked like she had been through a lot.
 
“I…” Roary tried to get up but had no strength left in her.
 
“You shouldn't do that! You're still too weak!” Fletcher said concerned and helped her lay back down.
“Fletcher's right. Here, eat this. It's not much but it'll help you get your strength back.” Russell said bringing her a tray with a bowl of soup.
 
“Thank… you.” Roary quietly said as Fletcher helped her sit up a little and started feeding her the soup.
 
Russell smiled. It was good to see the poor girl eat. `I can ask her questions later. The main concern right now is getting her better. Though I'm curious to know how she got to look like a chimera and why she would be looking for Ed.'
 
“So what's your name?” Fletcher asked between spoonfuls.
 
“My… name is… Lorali Wesscott. But you can call me Roary.” Roary said just above a whisper. Her old instincts were kicking in. `Why aren't these boys afraid of me? Why are they being so kind? Is there something wrong with them? And why do they look so much like the Elrics?'
 
“Roary, are you ok?” Fletcher asked when she had stopped eating and was daydreaming. Roary nodded slowly, looking about to cry. Fletcher decided to change the subject and keep her mind off things. “So how old are you Roary?”
 
“I'm… thirteen.” Roary blinked. This boy, Fletcher seemed honestly concerned and interested in her and not frightened at all; he was almost like Papa Hughes in that way. Though she was still unsure of Russell, he seemed… uneasy.
 
“Oh really?! Me too!” Fletcher proclaimed.
 
Roary sweat dropped. `He's seriously thirteen? He looks like he's 10. And he's shorter than I am.'
 
“Brother's fourteen. Do you have any favorite foods?” Fletcher was determined to keep his brother from getting a word in. Knowing him, he'd ask some rude question. Anyway it was a way to get to know this adorable girl.
 
But Russell cut in at the exact moment. “Hold on Fletcher. Let the girl be for now. She needs her rest.” Fletcher blinked. Was Russell actually being mature about this? “Come on Fletcher, it's time to do your chores. We'll check up on you later ok Roary?”
 
Roary nodded as the two left. They had given her a lot to think about without knowing it. Fletcher was a little cutie and seemed so kind. Russell, she didn't believe he was actually disgusted by her; he just had a hard time being sensitive. `He is handsome.' Roary blushed. She did feel that she could trust these boys. `Maybe they could help me find the Elric's.' Roary had made her decision.
 
 
Later that night Roary awoke from her nap to find it night. She looked around only to find Russell reading a book in a chair by candle light. Russell looked up from his book when he heard her stir. “Hey… it's late so Fletcher's in bed.”
 
“How…” Roary was cut off, was Russell psychic?
 
“I just wanted to apologize for earlier.” Russell genially said. “I know I came off rude. Fletcher calls me `socially inept'.” Roary couldn't help but giggle. She had only known Fletcher for half a day but it sounded like something he'd say. “So you're gonna laugh at me now too huh?”
 
“Sorry! I…” Roary reverted back into herself.
 
“It's alright. Truth is Fletcher's probably right.” Russell smiled softly. Roary blushed at his smile. “Can I ask you a question? If it's ok with you, if you're not ready to answer yet I understand. I was just wondering… did something happen to you for you to look like that?”
 
Roary stayed silent, hiding her green-gold eyes with her bangs and tucking in her ears and tail. `So he is disgusted by me! I knew it! I will always be a freak, a monster!'
 
Russell sighed. Maybe it was too soon to be asking that question, he'd try again later. “By any chance when you mentioned Edward earlier, were you talking about Ed Elric?”
 
Roary's eyes lit up. “You know Edward and Alphonse Elric?!” Roary gasped at her own eagerness. `Do I really want to trust them this much? Or am I just… growing up?'
 
Russell chuckled. “Yeah, I've met them before. Do you need to find them or something?”
 
Roary nodded. “Will you… will you help me find them? Please? Papa said to…” Roary trailed off, tears in her eyes.
 
Russell pulled the covers up around as if to tuck her in. “It's alright Roary. You don't have to tell me anything until you're ready.” Russell flashed her another smile.
 
Roary nodded and felt her cheeks go red again and hoped it was too dark for him to see. By tucking Roary in Russell made her feel at home with Hughes again. But that smile of his made her feel something else.
 
“You still need your rest though. I'll leave the candle on for you ok. Night, sleep well.” Russell left the room with a warm smile on his face toward her.
 
Roary sweat dropped. After all she was part cat, nocturnal, and she'd been sleeping all day. `No one will ever get that I hate sleeping at night will they?' Roary closed her eyes anyway and did end up falling asleep.