Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Home ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA.
 
 
Every time she saw a flash of alchemical light, she thought of her childhood friends; the Elric brothers. How could she not? They were the biggest alchemy freaks she'd ever seen, let alone met.
 
Winry looked up at the sky. They were alive somewhere, she knew it. They may not be in this world, or time, or even dimension, but they were somewhere and she knew eventually, they'd find a way back from wherever it was they'd disappeared to.
 
Something cold and smooth tapped her bare leg. Looking down, she realized Den was sitting beside her. She must have bumped his automail. The young mechanic kneeled to pet her dog, feeling the polished metal of his left foreleg underneath the silky smooth fur. Years ago she and Granny Pinako sat for hours designing this leg for him. They'd done the same thing for Edward. Phantoms of the past flooded her mind, threatening to bring with them inevitable tears.
 
It'd been too long since she'd seen the moronic little boys she'd grown up with. Her recollection brought her to the last time she'd seen Ed, right before he disappeared into that other world. She'd fitted him with new automail. It was difficult, seeing him run into more danger immediately after their reunion. Of course, that was the Ed she remembered. Always running off. Always having something important to do.
 
What was he doing now? What was Alphonse doing now? Had he ever recovered his memory? Had Ed grown any more? Even an inch? She laughed at the thought. Poor Ed. If she'd said that in front of him, his idiosyncrasy, no doubt, would have ensued. He was always making lame comments after being called short. Even words like 'small' ticked him off.
 
Shaking her head, Winry studied the sky. Did Ed and Al see the same sky when they looked up, or was it different? Were they on a different earth or in a different dimension on the same earth? None of this made any sense.
 
Why did so many people go into alchemy anyway? From what she'd seen, nothing good would come of it. Sure, it was interesting, but in the end, it was just theory and science. Nothing else. Just a bunch of changing physical appearances. Equivalent Exchange. Moreover, it could do nothing for you. If you got good enough you could join the state, but State Alchemists were just weapons, dogs, scum… And if you didn't join the state, what then? Just research, equations and messy work. Nothing.
 
"Equivalent Exchange, huh?" She scoffed. "There's nothing equivalent about it." So why did they like it so much? Couldn't they see how much it'd already messed up their lives? How was that Equivalent?
 
Taking a deep breath, she gave a half smile at nothing. At least they were determined, she'd give 'em that much. Thanks to that she knew they'd never give up. Now laying on the warm grass, she knew one day her friends would be home at last.