Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Home Again? ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
Chapter 15: Home Again?
 
The weeks pasted by, with each day the brothers became closer. Their difference in age was hard to detect. Edward would tease the young boy, and play all the games he could. I'd pulled out old board games and cards. They'd spend hours laughing.
 
Yet when Al wasn't around, I found another side to Ed. He was a man, strong and determined. Each day seemed to bring us closer together as well. I hadn't allowed anyone near me in so long. Now my heart begged for even the smallest sign of affection. Other than Clemont and Lori I had no friends. I'd sheltered myself from the world, hiding in much the same way Edward had done.
 
 
We sat on the bank while Alphonse played close to the stream It was too cold for wading now. But his laughter filled the air and making the sunny day even brighter. A small tree stood giving us some shade.
 
I sat to the left of Edward, my eyes watching the child closely. A hand brushed mine. I turned to see Ed leaning against the tree trunk. His eyes watching his brother, a small grin on his face.
 
Thinking he hadn't meant to I shifted, moving my hand slightly out of his way. Then I felt it move, reaching for mine again. I glanced down as he grasped it tighter. Looking back to him, his gaze hadn't shifted. A smile crossed my lips. I leaned slightly against the tree, my eyes closing.
 
You're letting yourself get too attached. My mind warned my heart. But I'm loving it so much. My eyes opened looking at the man next to me. He was strong now, full of life and love. I could get used to this.
 
Then I felt water splashed in our direction. My head popped up in a moment. I looked to Al, who was standing beside the stream laughing. Edward's laugh was deep but full. His eyes sparkled as he watched his sibling, who was still giggling. I could defiantly get used to this.
 
 
We made it back to the house as the sun was setting. “Alright, bath time!” I flipped on the light and pointed to Al. He let go of the wheelchair handles and moaned but went into the bathroom. He hadn't taken one that morning which meant he needed one.
 
“I'm thinking about going to Resembool soon.” Ed moved, reaching for his crutch and standing. “To see about getting another set of automail made. That way I'll be able to walk again.”
 
I turned from where I stood in the kitchen putting up the supplies we'd taken. My heart faltered slightly. “Can you pay for it? I mean, don't those things cost a lot of money?” Worry lined my voice though cash wasn't the cause. I feared loosing him when he regained his arm and leg. After all, he was only here for support, right?
 
Edward moved to stand next to me. “Yes, before I went into… mourning, I gave all my money to Winry for safekeeping. She can make the automail for me.” His voice sounded a little apprehensive. He couldn't bring himself to admit to the level of despair he'd actually sunk to. “I'm worried about going back though.”
 
I could tell he feared the girl's response. “You'll have Al with you.” I offered, turning on the water to begin washing the dishes. I tried hard to keep my voice from faltering. “He should be some support for you.” My gaze shifted back to the man beside me.
 
His head hung solemnly. “I was hoping you would come too.” His voice was soft and when he looked up his eyes were pleading. “If you would, it would really mean a lot to me.” He leaned on the crutch and touched my back. The touch sparked something in my heart. I had to go, if only to say goodbye.
 
My hands were still in the dish water, scrubbing the dishes we'd used to carry our lunch in. “I can, if that's what you want.” I turned to look at him with a fake smile, trying to keep from crying. “The three of us, we'll make a trip out of it.”
 
Winry had been a friend of the brothers since they were little. The family's had been close. She had repaired Ed's automail when he'd broken it during battles for the philosopher's stone. I feared they would stay with her after Edward could take care of his brother. After all, she was their rightful family.
 
 
Finishing the dishes I let out the water then dried my hands. Edward could tell there was something on my mind, but we didn't speak about it. I got out my notebook and handed him the number I'd gotten from central. He sat on the couch, holding the receiver as I dialed for him.
 
“Hello, Winry.” His voice was nervous. “Yeah, this is Ed… I know… Yes I've missed you too… I know… please listen… I'm sorry… look I need a new arm and leg… Yes I've found Al… He's fine… please don't cry… we'll be coming by train tomorrow, if that's ok with you… yes… alright I'll see you then.” He hung up the phone and breathed a sigh of relief.
 
“Well?” I leaned forward, my elbows on my knees. I had become apprehensive. He hadn't bothered to mention that I would be coming too, and I wondered why. “How did it go?”
 
He looked at me with a slight grin. “Well, she's confused. And can't wait to see us again. But…” His gaze followed his hand as it reached for mine. “I'm worried about it. I haven't seen her for seven years Ona. Everything's changed, so much has happened.”
 
I nodded, forcing my voice to be soft and kind. “I know. But you have to try.”
 
 
When Alphonse had come out and gotten dressed we told him our plans. He sat on the floor in the living room “But.” His face was both confused and worried. “Who is Winry? Should I know her brother?”
 
Ed frowned from the couch. Not because he was upset with the child but because he worried. How much did the boy remember? “Yeah Al, we've known her all our lives. She's the one that we made the doll for. Remember? She cried when we tried to use alchemy in front of her.”
 
Al thought for a moment, his brow furrowed from frustration. “I remember making a doll but… I don't remember any girl.” His eyes turned up to his brother's, but they were sad. “Is it bad that I can't remember her?”
 
“No.” Edward shook his head. “It's fine Al. Winry will understand.” He smiled a little. “She's got an attitude sometimes, but I think she'll be fine. After she understands what happened.”
 
I shifted where I sat next to Edward. I wasn't sure I wanted to meet this girl. Apparently she was like family to the brothers. It could mean that she would want them to stay in Riesembool, and I would loose them. I'd be alone again and that pained me to no end.
 
 
The next morning we walked to town to catch the train. We had some trouble getting onboard with Ed and the wheelchair. After we had helped him on I folded the chair and lifted it aboard. It would be a few hours before we'd make it to the boys' hometown.
 
I took a seat, rolling my eyes at those who dared to stare. This trip is going to take forever. I looked over to Ed who was sitting looking out the window. He was deep in thought while Al was excited. The boy couldn't remember ever having been on a train before. By now he'd ridden in the truck enough not to have to worry about motion sickness. I'm glad for that. But…I'll be saying goodbye soon. My eyes cast downward.
 
“Sis look!” Al pointed as we started to pull away from the station. “We're pulling out!” He glowed with wonderment at the experience. His eyes shined forcing me to cheer up, even though it was only just a little. He didn't seem to realize he wouldn't be returning.
 
Ed's hand moved to grasp mine again. I smiled a little as he glanced at me. His eyes were hopeful and apprehensive at the same time. He wanted to get his limbs back, but the thought of facing his past was a scary one. I couldn't help but agree with him. I became nervous every time I ran into someone who would ask about Emery.
 
 
“How is he?” A girl asked me as I checked out at a small grocery store in town. “Your brother, is he doing well?” Her voice was kind, but the question seemed to run through me without mercy.
 
I lowered my head, allowing my hair to cover my face while looking for the needed change. “Well… I still haven't seen him.” Taking out the money I made the mistake of making eye contact.
 
The cashier frowned and took the cash. “You need to see him.” No one seemed to realize I couldn't. “It's bad enough that you don't have him at your place. The least you could do is check up on him every once in a while.”
 
I turned and left, without saying another word. Anger and frustration blazed in me. Tears threatened to come but I refused to oblige them. I wouldn't cry, couldn't let these people get to me. It's not like they truly cared. Not one of them had offered to help me at any time.
 
 
I felt soft breath against my ear. “Ona.” Edwards's soft voice brought me back from my thoughts. “We're here.”
 
Opening my eyes I looked around. I blinked a few times before realizing where I was. I'd fallen asleep. The train was stopped and outside the window was a small station. Alphonse was already standing and moving the wheelchair toward the end of our car.
 
I helped Edward up and we made it slowly to the door of the train. Again it took some difficulty. Getting down those steps was no simple matter. Luckily we did so without having him fall. Though some people did stare, this earned them a glare from me, sending them on their way.
 
“Here brother.” Al patted the seat of the wheelchair. He'd already unfolded it and locked the wheels. His eyes were bright and carefree. “Let me help you.” The child moved to aid his sibling. He took great care to make sure his brother didn't stumble or get hurt in any way. “Where to?”
 
“That way.” Edward pointed toward an old dusty path. Thankfully it was a nice day, although it was cold. We had on our thick coats so none of us seemed to mind it too much. At least the trip out to Winry's house wouldn't be a hassle. With each step my heart sank a little lower into a dark abyss. I felt like it was the final march toward the graveyard.