Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Free to Go Home ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
Chapter 20: Free to Go Home
 
The day I got out of the hospital was sunny and somewhat warm. Spring was coming back into the air. Birds flew from tree to tree singing cheerfully as they went. The air was clear and seemed to give me energy as I inhaled it deeply. Edward had come to pick me up in the truck. I stood on wobbly legs watching him as he opened the cab door.
 
He turned to me with a smile and helped me walk from the hospital doors to the loading and unloading zone. Gently he lifted me into the truck, careful not to bang my feet. I buckled up and gazed out the window. Leaving this hospital felt like getting out after a long jail sentence. Not only was I finally free from those doctors, but free from my past. I could go home and my brother would be waiting for me.
 
As we drove down the road I listened to the hum of the wheels again. This time they seemed to sound like horses galloping into the sunset after having saved the day. Everything seemed wonderful and I thought that perhaps it was a little taste of what Al had felt when he'd first gotten his body back.
 
I turned to Ed who seemed to be glowing. “Thank you.” I told him, feeling like light was emanating from me as well. “For what you did about getting Emery out. It really means a lot.”
 
An odd smirk crossed his face. “Well then just look at it as me repaying you for helping Al. You've done more for him than I ever thought possible.” His automail hand took hold of mine. “Ona, you have no idea just how much of a difference you've made.”
 
I shook my head thoughtfully. My full hair felt good against my neck. I'd finally been able to take a shower and give it a proper scrubbing. Now it bounced against me every time I moved.
 
Then I noticed that we were still in town. By then we should have been on a dirt road. “Hey, I think you missed a turn somewhere. This isn't the way home.” I looked in the side mirror to see our exit way in the distance. “The road's back there.”
 
Ed shook his head. “Don't worry Ona, I'll get you home.” He looked at me momentarily. “It'll be fine. Just trust me.” There was that stupid smirk again. It was beginning to drive me crazy.
 
We drove across town past the schools, churches, and stores. Then he turned on to a side street. He saw my confusion and decided to explain a little further. “I'm working directly under the Fuhrer now. He's got me posted here in town to keep an eye on things. That's how I managed to get your brother out of the orphanage.”
 
“Fuhrer Mustang? But how is that possible?” My mind was reeling as to why such a higher up would want to have anything to do with me. Unless it was in exchange for information about Clemont. “What kind of a deal did you make with him?”
 
Edward shook his head and laughed. “No deal, I worked under him before. When he was just a colonel.” He glanced at me again. “He learned about what your friend was doing. He's decided to fund research for him. After finding out about Al's body, he was more than happy to support Clemont.”
 
I shook my head. “Then you told him?” Anger entered my words. “You just decided to tell your old buddy? What if he had of gone against Clemont's work? What then? Would you have just let him kill my friend?”
 
My peer looked at me with a frown, as though I had no right to accuse him. “I didn't tell him. He the one who mentioned it. He started looking into things when he heard you were looking for me. He sent you that letter telling you where I was. His toads had found me but hadn't confronted me.” Ed squeezed my hand. “He knew you could bring me out of it, knew that you would be able to help me. That's why he didn't just barge in there himself.”
 
I shook my head and gazed back out the window. To think, that our country's leader had been looking in on me. Then a thought struck me. “Did he know about what I was doing? About the anorexia?”
 
Ed glanced over to me. “No, he was keeping check on me. Then when he did realize something was wrong with you he informed me. Said that I needed to get back here as quickly as possible.”
 
“So then he wanted you to come.” I murmured sadly with a slight bit of betrayal. “I thought you'd decided to check on me yourself. I guess I was wrong.” My eyes cast downward toward the floorboard. I loved this man, but apparently I'd been wrong about his feelings for me.
 
“We're here Ona.” I heard unlatch his seatbelt and shut off the car. “Welcome home.”
 
As I glanced out the window my eyes grew large. There sitting before me, looking just as it had when I was little, was my old home. Two stories tall and painted a dark blue with burgundy trim. The yard was mowed and flowers were already starting to grow in the garden I had planted with my mother so long ago.
 
Edward moved around to my side of the truck as I unlatched my seatbelt. He opened the door and held up his arms to catch me. I slid down, still looking at the house. It was like a dream come true. All that was missing was my family.
 
Then the door opened and there stood Emery. Taller than when we had left but still filling in the blank spot. As he walked out Alphonse rushed to stand beside him. A smile glowing on the child's face. Ed took a few steps back letting me take in the whole picture. There stood my old home, my brother, and two boys who had become like family to me. A tear rolled down my cheek.
 
“Welcome home sis.” Emery walked up to me and gave me a warm hug. I embraced him like the day I'd seen him in the hospital. It felt so wonderful to simply be able to see him again. And now I would be able to hug him whenever I wanted.
 
Alphonse stood, anxiously watching us. A hope seemed to glow in his eyes. I tilted my head a little to the side and smiled. He hadn't seen me in the hospital. Ed felt it would be too much for him. Now however Al seemed to be waiting for admittance.
 
I held out an arm while still hugging Emery with the other. Seeing the opening the child rushed forward into the embrace. “Sis! I missed you so much!” He was crying tears of joy.
 
Emery moved an arm to hug him as well. He whispered into my ear. “Now I have a little brother too.” I smiled because I knew that meant things would work out. The two of them had already been hanging out together, while I was in the hospital.
 
I pulled away from the two boys and looked to Edward who was smiling. He walked over and hugged me tightly. “We'll make this work. The four of us here together, we're bound to make it work.” His lips brushed against my forehead.
 
“But what about Winry?” I didn't want to be happy at anyone else's expense. No matter how happy I could have been. “Won't she be lonely back in Resembool?”
 
Ed shook his head. “No, because she isn't staying there.” He kissed my head again. “I've already made arrangements for her to stay at the house in the country. She wouldn't be happy in town. Out there she can work on her stuff but still be close enough to come and see us.”
 
I smiled as he led me into the house. It was fully furnished to the best of my brother's memory. He had worked tirelessly looking through catalogs with Al to try and find the right furniture. My old house was my new home, and I had a finally family to go with it.
 
Author's note:
This was originally the last chapter. But I couldn't let the ED go that easily. Besides… love's just starting to bloom!
 
(ED dose not stand for Edward. It stands for Eating Disorder)