Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Set in Stone ❯ House Visits ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thanks again Flame Phoenix, I always like getting that email that says `someone has commented on your story.' I suppose nothing much happens in this chapter either, but excitement is coming! I swear. Hehe I'm supposed to be doing my art assignment *shifty eyes* O well, I also forgot to put the disclaimer in the last chapter, so lets just say that for the whole story I DON'T OWN FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST there that way it had to catch someone's attention. Anyway here ya go chapter 5.
 
`Til The Sun Shines
 
Chapter Four
House Visits
 
`There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.'
 
“Okay, thanks for the call ahead Colonel, no chance you'd tell me why…no…I see…well we just did the surgery yesterday I don't know if he'd…well, yes I suppose so…oh Mustang don't force it out of him…yes, yes you know you're welcome anytime, I'll have Rose set up the spare room…what d'you mean, how many are coming?.. The Whole unit! What's happened this time…okay, okay it'll be a squeeze but you're all welcome…okay, see you then bye…bye.” Winry hung up the phone and sighed.
 
“What was that about?” Chris asked, yawning. It was late at night and he was just about to go to bed after the hectic last couple of days when the phone had rung.
 
“Mustang and his entire tribunal are coming for a visit.” She said, sounding somewhat resigned.
 
“And you don't want them to why...?” he coaxed.
 
“It's not that I don't want them to, but I know they're coming here for Ed, and he's just had the surgery, it'll be a while before he's able to get up, let alone go through one of Mustang's interrogations, you know how he can be.”
 
“But why's this Ed character so important?” Chris asked, sounding much like they were going to too much trouble for the man. “And why is the Major General coming of all people?”
 
“Well, I suppose technically Ed's still one of the Colonel's subordinates. Yes, he used to be in the Military, one of their top…well I wouldn't say ranking, but definitely one of their most active State Alchemists.” She said at the look on Chris's face from the word `subordinate'.
 
“But you guys all hate the Military!” he exclaimed, “Apart from Mustang's group and that Armstrong fellow, you're all totally against them. I don't even think Mom trusts them that well.”
 
“Hated, key word there, past tense. When I was growing up the military was full of corrupt bastards, and well you're mother has a damn good reason to hate them, but Ed, and Mustang are the good guys. They called Ed `a hero of the people'” she said, somewhat proudly. “'a State Alchemist who isn't a mindless dog.' He was quite famous back when we were children.” She said.
 
“You mean he's the hero of the people you keep telling me about?” Chris asked his eyes wide in disbelief. “I always thought they were old stories that you'd made up to entertain me as a kid.”
 
“Ah, but to every myth there's some truth.” She said. “Those stories are no Myths, Alphonse and Edward used to travel around the place all the time, getting into all sorts of trouble, did you know I made him one of the most beautiful pieces of automail, and he smashed it into tiny little pieces.” She said angrily, shaking her fist.
 
“Whoa, how'd he manage that?” Chris asked, fascinated. Winry smiled, he always got like that when they spoke of Ed and Al's adventures, even when he was a kid, and it amused her.
 
“Got into a damn fight again, they always use to fight; sometimes I think they just got people pissed so they'd have someone to spar with.” She said, annoyed.
 
“Now Winry,” Rose said from the doorway, having woken up from the two of them talking. “I happen to have been there first hand for some of their fights and they didn't intentionally pick out a few of them.”
 
“Ah but they did with some.” Winry argued.
 
“That one with Cornello was definitely their fault, but hey, I'd have to say I'm glad he did.”
 
“Even though things turned out the way they did?” Winry asked quietly.
 
“I'd rather have my hopes shattered and wake up to reality, then to have gone fight a war because of a false belief. And it wasn't all bad.” She said, ruffling Chris's hair, much to his annoyance `Mom!' “I wouldn't have my son here, had thing's not turned out the way they had.” She smiled, “And I'd prefer him to a talking bird.”
 
 
“I've already told you plenty of times what happened, Riza, I really don't think that there is anymore that you can know, isn't that right Havoc?” Mustang asked as they all sat on the train, Hawkeye once again questioning him about what happened.
 
“Well actually, about what that girl said, why did you turn?” he asked, only just realizing that.
 
Mustang smirked. “Fullmetal was mumbling it at my house the other night, I'll bet a lot of money that he was muttering swearwords, but the dialect was similar if not the same. Not to mention that these people were asking for Edward Elric."
 
The train rolled past the countryside, its occupants not noticing the slight bumps as the wheels turned on the track. They'd been on the train for a while now, and Hawkeye began to recognise certain landmarks signaling their near arrival.
 
“What's wrong?” Mustang asked, once they were alone. The rest of them moving off to get lunch.
 
“Nothing, sir.” She replied, turning her attention away from the window. “We should be arriving in Risembool soon sir, perhaps we should have waited until we had arrived for lunch.”
 
“Eh, I sent them away so we could talk. Something's on your mind, you've been quiet since you heard we were stopped.” Riza sighed slightly.
 
“I don't think you're taking this seriously enough, Roy. You weren't stopped, you were attacked. The documents you sign are protected by military procedures and protocols. I don't understand how these people were able to gain access to them if they're not from the Military.”
 
“Actually I recognised the girl.” Havoc said from behind her, “I was sent to ask what you want for lunch.” He explained, holding his hands in mock surrender from the glare he received.
 
“You failed to mention this before, Havoc.” Mustang pointed out.
 
“Well to tell you the truth I've been having a difficult time placing a name to the face. I know it was dark and everything, but I'm sure that the girl who spoke, well, she had an uncanny resemblance to Rose Thomas.” He said, getting their orders and heading off again to give them some privacy.
 
“That still doesn't explain how they were able to get the documents; Rose has no power in Military affairs.” Hawkeye said. A look of concern passed across Mustang's face.
 
“What's really wrong?” he asked, brushing his hand across her cheek. She leaned into his touch slightly.
 
“I've a really bad feeling about this, Roy.” She said quietly. “Ever since Ed came back, there's something there nagging at the back of my mind. Telling me something's not right. Where's he been? And why was he hurt?” she asked, her eyes now closed.
 
“Hurt?” Mustang questioned, he hadn't noticed that.
 
“Well…I'm not sure.” She replied, straightening up. “But Edward's never had a reason to keep secrets from us before. He hasn't seen Alphonse in over 15 years and he's ready to give up on sorting out this argument so quickly? That's not the Ed I remember.” She stated.
 
“I don't think, that if any of us expected Ed to return, that we were ready for change. `There is no way to make people like change; you can only make them feel less threatened by it.'” Mustang quoted. Riza sighed.
 
“I understand what you're saying, but I can't help feeling like something's off.” She said.
 
“Me too,” Mustang admitted. “Why do you think I'm so eager to get answers out of Fullmetal? He's one of those people who think that they're protecting someone by not burdening them with their problems.”
 
“Like you?” she asked dryly. Mustang chuckled.
 
“Exactly, sometimes when you believe what you're doing is right, you can't see the chain reaction it's going to set off. I'd say we should let him tell us in his own time, but if he's anything like me, than he won't tell until it's absolutely necessary or he can't avoid it anymore.” Mustang said. Hawkeye nodded in agreement and understanding.
 
“Just know your limits, Roy.” She said quietly. “Don't push him too far.”
 
 
“Chris!?” Winry called.
 
“What?” He yelled back.
 
“Could you make sure Edward doesn't try anything stupid, like getting up? Rose and I are going shopping in the town over to make sure we've got enough food for all our visitors, they should be here soon too, I think they caught a train late last night.” She answered, basket in hand ready for some grocery shopping.
 
“Sure thing!” He called back, coming back up the path towards the house.
 
“Thanks Chris, if he won't listen to you, just jab him in his arm.”
 
“Won't that hurt like hell?”
 
“It'll be his own fault for not listening to you.” Winry huffed. “He's always been stubborn, so just be careful, don't let him trick you.”
 
“Don't worry, Aunty Winry, I can look after the midget.”
 
“Yeah, don't let him hear you say that either.” She added, smiling evilly at the thought. “We'll be back in a couple of hours okay?” she called back over her shoulder once her and Rose had started down the path.
 
“I'll be fine.” He waved his arm lazily at them and headed back into the house. However when he got there he saw a shadow in the doorway and jumped. “My god!” he called rather quieter than normal. “What the hell are you doing out of bed, you almost gave me a heart attack.”
 
“I heard Winry,” Ed said, his voice rather funny, “She worries too much, it's just my arm. What's this I hear about Mustang coming up?” he asked, plopping into the seat at the kitchen table. Chris looked at him warily before sitting down too and studying him.
 
“I dunno, he called late last night and said that all of them were coming down for a visit. You know, I don't think I've ever known someone to get up so quickly after having the surgery.” He said, clearly impressed.
 
Ed chuckled. “What can I say, I like to push myself, and I'm not one to lie in a bed all day and be happy with it. Winry always scolded me for it when we were kids, if I kept trying to get up after she'd reattached my limbs, or if I was in the hospital and wanted to leave before the doctors said I could.” He said.
 
“Limbs?” Chris questioned. “What do you mean by that?”
 
“Well I use to have an Automail leg to, from here” he indicated on his left leg, “down was all automail. I didn't break that nearly as often as my arm though.” He said with a laugh.
 
“Well why don't you need another leg now, surely you'd have grown?” he asked.
 
“Very inquisitive aren't we young Mr. Thomas?” Ed asked, and Chris looked away as though scolded. “I never said it was a bad thing,” he said, “My brother got my leg and arm back, and I returned his body. From the snippets of conversations I've overheard I gather that Winry and Rose tell you of our adventures like a bedtime story?” he asked.
 
“Yeah,” Chris said, excited again, “That must have been so much fun, helping all those people and doing all those amazing things! I wish I could have an adventure like that.”
 
“I don't know about that, I suppose they never really told you about why we went traveling in the first place, or what we'd done. I never actually told Winry or Rose about a lot of the stuff Al and I did.” He said.
 
“You mean you've done even more?” Chris said.
 
“Well yeah, but those stories aren't really ones you'd be telling a kid before he fell asleep. They're not really they ones anybody would want to hear. I'm sure Winry and Rose edited the stories they told you to make them less adulterated, shall we say.” Chris frowned slightly, and then noticed Ed's flushed cheeks.
 
“You shouldn't be out of bed; you'll make yourself even more sick.” He pressed a hand to his forehead and removed it quickly. “You've got a scorcher of a fever; get back into bed before Aunty Winry fires me for not doing what she said.”
 
“Yeah, yeah alright.” Ed grumbled after a couple more minutes' debate, “I suppose I am a bit tired. He stood up, and then swayed on the spot. Chris rushed forward and supported him, taking him into the room.
 
“Don't get up again, or I'll tell Aunty, it's extremely bad for your health if you get up so soon, you can be as tough as you want but your body can only do so much.” But he was preaching to deaf ears. Ed had already passed out when he had been put on the bed. Chris scoffed. “Idiot,” he mumbled, “Auntie's right he is stubborn.”
 
He treated Ed's fever as best he could, but Rose and Winry were always the ones who took care of the patients after they got post-surgery sickness.
 
He turned when he heard a knock on the door. Thinking it was Mustang and his troops, he opened the door with a big welcoming grin. “You sure did get here quickly…” he stopped when he saw the unfamiliar people at the door. “Oh, sorry, I thought you were someone else. Can I help? Are you looking for some Automail?” he asked.
 
Nein, Nein, I am looking for Edward Elric.” The woman said her voice rather husky, and her English rusty. Chris hesitated before answering.
 
“I'm afraid he's not here at the moment, he's over at the next village over, staying at the Hawshaw's meat store.” He lied, if they really were honest people, then they'd understand the honest mistake he's made, and the detour to another town wouldn't be a problem. “Thank-you.” The woman said, and turned to go, signaling to the people following her to turn back to the train station. She yelled something in another language, and they headed out.
 
Hardly any spared him a second glance, but the one other cloaked person who had their hood down, stared at him. Chris had to stop himself from calling out. She could have been his Mom's twin. He smiled and waved and turned back into the house, feeling a little out of breath and nervous. “Paranoid,” he mumbled to himself, “You're just hungry; stomach's being funny `cause of that.” He said, trying to convince himself.
 
He almost jumped when half an hour later there was another knock at the door. They can't have gone there and come back already, he thought, could they… He opened the door and almost sighed in relief when he saw the guests that he had been expecting earlier, instead of the strange foreigners. “You almost gave me a damn heart attack,” he admitted, opening the door wider to allow them entry.
 
“I doubt your mother would put up with you using that language.” Hawkeye said, stepping into the house after Mustang. “Where is she anyway?”
 
“Her and Aunt Winry went shopping so we could feed you lot.” He answered, closing the door and fetching some seats from outside for the table. The group all said their `hi's and sat down, Fuery, Falman and Breda looking like they'd been pulled out of a nice sleep to come down here. “Must say, I got a bit of a fright this morning, this strange group came to the door looking for Ed.” Immediately the atmosphere in the room changed. Chris looked at them in confusion, “What?” he asked.
 
“What did you do?” Mustang asked. Chris blushed.
 
“Well I don't know why but they kind of scared me so I sent them on a wild goose chase to some made up family in a made up business at the village Aunty and Mom and shopping at.” He admitted sheepishly. Mustang smirked.
 
“Well, that was a stroke of luck. Where is Fullmetal anyway?” he asked.
 
“In the room over there,” he indicated with his head. “I doubt he'll be up for a while, he tried to get up this morning and made it to the table before he'd already overworked his body. He's a bit of an idiot.” The group laughed at Chris's statement.
 
“He's one of the most intelligent people I've ever met.” Breda said. “Unless you're talking about his health, in which case he's completely ignorant and doesn't believe that trained and qualified doctors know anything.” The group laughed again. Even Hawkeye smiled slightly.
 
“I heard that!” Ed yelled from the room over. “And I'm not ignorant about my health; I just don't think it should stop me!”
 
“And that's why you're lying in the bed with a horrible fever right Boss?” Havoc replied.
 
“Shuddup!” Ed yelled back. “What are you lot doing here anyway?” he asked. “And would you move in here so I can stop yelling?”
 
“Why don't you come join us in here Fullmetal?” Mustang replied, “It's much more convenient for us.”
 
“Do you want a dent in your head from a wrench Mustang?” Ed replied, “If so then continue to tell me to get up, I'm sure Winry would have a conflicting viewpoint.”
 
Mustang twitched in annoyance and headed into the room where Ed was staying, ordering the rest of them to stay outside, and closing the door behind him. “So how long did you think you could avoid interrogation by leaving, Elric?” he questioned the rather sick looking man on one of the hospital beds in the room.
 
“Well, I must say I was expecting you to wait until the post-surgery sickness had passed, but no, no chance of that.” Ed said, trying to sit up. “I didn't know you had missed me so much Mustang.” He teased, giving up and instead, propping his head up further on the pillow.
 
“Very clever, Fullmetal, but I probably wouldn't have bothered, had certain, events, not played out the way they had.” Ed frowned.
 
“Why are you here?” He asked, looking at Mustang for some kind of clue. “What's happened now?”
 
Mustang searched Ed's face for a moment. The dark circles under his eyes, suggesting he hadn't been sleeping much lately, he had noticed that in central, the way his hair didn't have quite the life it used to, and the way his face had aged over the years. True, he wasn't looking quite as handsome as he might have back when he was Colonel, and he might be feeling his years from time to time, but Ed looked just plain tired.
 
`My safety's not the only one in jeopardy if I were to tell you what I've been doing for the past 15 years!' Ed's voice from the argument they had had at his house drifted into his mind.
 
He sighed, “Never mind, maybe when you're better.” He decided not to worry Ed with his problems at that point and time. Hawkeye was right; if he started pushing him now, after his 15 year absence, they'd never get answers. For the time being, he had to be patient.
 
Surprisingly, Ed didn't push either. He was quite content to stay in the dark. Mustang shook his head, and left the room, letting the others catch up with Ed. They realised that Mustang hadn't said anything, and didn't open their mouths either.
 
Winry and Rose joined them later that evening and Rose went straight away to the kitchen to cook a roast for the lot of them, Hawkeye helping her. While the boys sat outside, sharing jokes, making bets, and, more than the others in Havoc's case, smoking. Winry silently slipped into Ed's room, and saw him lying awake staring at the ceiling.
 
“Thanks for not getting up, I'm surprised at you.” She said, once he turned to look at her. He smiled lopsidedly.
 
“Don't be, I got up earlier today, just after you and Rose left.” Winry scowled. “Don't worry; it was only for about 5 minutes before Chris ordered me back to bed.” He said. She went up and felt his forehead.
 
“Your fever's down, you should be able to get out of bed tomorrow, just don't overwork your body or anything. It's still trying to get rid of those drugs and recuperate from the blood loss.” She said. He nodded.
 
“Yeah, yeah I know.” He said. They sat in silence for a while, hearing the occasional cry of annoyance from the gang outside, followed normally by a group of loud cheers. “You know why they're here?” Ed asked Winry.
 
“No,” she replied, “I asked when he called last night, but I suppose I didn't really expect an answer.”
 
Ed nodded in agreement. “I was quite surprised by the fact that Mustang left me alone. I was expecting some huge interrogation like back at his house.” He wondered aloud.
 
“Maybe he's just happy you're back. I know I am,” she said, “And…I know Alphonse is.”
 
Ed laughed a little. “I know what you're trying to do Winry, and trust me; I don't want to fight with him, especially after not seeing him for so long. But, if that's what it takes to keep him uninvolved, then I'll do it.” He turned to look at her, “I never was good at keeping secrets from him.”
 
She sighed. “Is this what this is about? You don't want to get him involved? I'm not sure that he realises that those are your intentions, Ed. He'll probably come here to apologize and your huge plan fails.”
 
“Well, I suppose it's not a very well thought out plan.” He turned to her curiously. “You're not going to ask what I'm not getting him involved in?” he questioned.
 
She smiled and rolled her eyes. “Are you going to tell me if I do?” she smiled evilly at the look that passed his face. “I know you too well Edward,” she boasted, “and I don't care anyway. I said it before, I'm just glad you're back.”
 
“Me too,” he said, looking back at the roof once more. “You know, you ought to paint something interesting on this roof, I'm sure a lot of people would get sick of staring at the white, time after time.” He suggested. Winry laughed.
 
“I'll think about it.” Ed looked over at her as she laughed, until she got quite self-conscious.
 
“What?” she questioned. He sat up.
 
“You know…for a long time…when we were kids too…I…well…” he started, not looking at her, and blushing slightly.
 
“What?” she questioned, though in a different tone to before. She moved closer.
 
“Well…I always…kinda sorta…really liked you.” He said at last.
 
She sighed. “Well I knew that much Ed.” She said annoyed.
 
“No…I mean…like liked you.” He said. Now blushing furiously.
 
“Oh,” she said quietly, blushing too. “Well, I kinda sorta like liked you too. As well as Al.”
 
“Winry!” Ed exclaimed, “Don't tell me that!”
 
“I'm sorry,” she said indignantly. “We're all adults' right? And it's not like Al is here right now, I'm talking to you.” She said.
 
“Still! I don't think I want to know how you thought of my little brother after I'm embarrassing myself by admitting how I feel -” he was cut off, by Winry lips meeting his own. Damn, he thought, I was supposed to do that. But he kissed her back all the same. There was a knock on the door, which the both of them ignored, and Fuery stepped into the room.
 
“Hey, uh Ed, I was wondering -” he let out a small `oh' of surprise and hastily exited the room, once he had noticed what was going on. He stepped back out onto the veranda, his face horribly red.
 
“So what's he betting?” Havoc asked. “And why are you all red?”
 
“Uh…he's kind of…preoccupied at the moment.” Fuery replied quickly sitting down on the stairs as he had been.
 
“Preoccupied, how?” Havoc asked making Fuery blush even more.
 
“Well…Winry's in there you see…” he didn't need to finish, there was a huge outbreak of laughter from all of them. Hawkeye poked her head out the window.
 
“Would you keep it down?” She said annoyed, “Rose and I are trying to talk.”
 
“Hey -hey,” Breda said, wiping his eye, “Tell me Winry's in there so I know Fuery's not pulling my leg.” He said. Hawkeye looked at him curiously.
 
“No. She went to talk to Ed.” They laughed even harder at this. “What?” she questioned.
 
“I don't think they're talking.” Falman replied. “Okay, okay, let's calm down.” He said sensibly. “Now, how long do you think they'll stay in there making out?” Hawkeye sighed irritably and went back into the kitchen as the boys began making their bets.
 
“10 Minutes!”
 
“No way! 15!” She slammed the window shut, effectively muffling their voices.
 
“Boys,” she muttered, turning back to Rose. “They'll be in there for at least half-an-hour. Those two have liked each other since they were kids.” Rose laughed; sometimes Hawkeye was as bad as the boys.
 
“I think you need some more females in your unit, Riza.” She suggested.
 
“You don't need to say that twice.” She replied with a small grin.
`When I have a kid, I'm gonna put him in one of those twin strollers, and run around the mall looking frantic.'