Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Set in Stone ❯ Of Happier Times and Brighter Days ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

`Til the Sun Shines
 
Chapter Twelve
Of Happier Days and Brighter Times
 
`Demolish the bridges behind you…then there is no choice but to move forward.'
-Anonymous
 
Muffled noises from the outside street could be heard throughout the small apartment. The two occupants sat in silence; light flooded the small room through the window as the sun set for the day. “Your research has progressed.” Hoenheim stated, and Ed nodded in acknowledgement. “But you still have a long way to go.” Ed nodded once again and accepted the written on sheets of paper. “It's good to see you again.” Hoenheim said, trying to start a conversation and break the silence.
 
“I've been meaning to ask you,” Ed said, ignoring what Hoenheim had just said. “For a while now, the question has been on my mind.” He looked sharply at his father, the light was reflecting off his glasses, hiding his eyes. “Did you ever love Mom?” He asked. The question didn't receive quite the reaction he'd expected, as Hoenheim merely sighed.
 
“I'd been expecting this to happen sooner or later.” He said quietly.
 
“Why didn't you tell me about Dante? Or envy? When I mentioned Lyra in Risembool, it was the perfect opportunity. Was out family just a replacement, until you found someone else who sparked your interest? Was it all a game to-”
 
“Edward.” His father interrupted, in a berating voice. Ed shut his mouth and stopped talking. “I loved your mother, more than I'd ever loved Dante, you were not a replacement. You and Alphonse are my sons, and nothing will change that.” Ed didn't seem convinced, despite the heart in the comment.
 
“Then why did you leave?” He asked, eyes narrowed slightly. Hoenheim sighed, and looked out the window distantly.
 
“Have you had anymore trouble with the Thule Society?” He asked instead. Ed chuckled.
 
“Figures…” he muttered under his breath, then louder. “No, they were hardly a threat to begin with.”
 
“You shouldn't underestimate your enemies.” Hoenheim advised. “It'd be better to overestimate and be prepared.” Ed stood up laughing.
 
“Careful now,” he said, mockingly. “That sounds like fatherly advice. You don't know when you might decide to disappear suddenly, you shouldn't get too attached.” He said harshly, heading towards the stairs.
 
“Edward.” His father scolded.
 
Ed held up his hands in mock defense. “Hey, don't let me hold you back. You've got a reputation to keep.”
 
“It's not like that.” Hoenheim said in his ever calm voice. “You're being childish.” Ed's face flushed with anger.
 
I'm being childish?” He asked incredulously. “If you don't want to be a part of my family then I don't think I could care less. But if you're going to insist on calling me your son, then at least have the decency to answer my questions.” He turned and stormed up the stairs. “I'll see you in the morning. Or not.” He added as an afterthought.
 
 
“C'mon, hurry up. I don't want to miss the carnival.”
 
“Yeah, what she said!” Ed clambered down the stairs to the three figures waiting at the foot of them. Alphons was tapping his foot impatiently, an irritated expression on his face. “Just because you don't like fun Ed,” he said, “doesn't mean you can make the rest of us as miserable as you.”
 
“Yeah, because Noa looks like she wants to go.” He replied sarcastically, picking up the bag from next to the door, holstering it on his shoulder, and making sure to lock the door behind him as the four of them started off down towards the music drifting up from the carnival. Alphons looked at the tanned young woman beside him, who smiled softly at him. He grinned back at her.
 
“”Course she does!” He replied, still grinning widely. “She's just happy to be with me.” He put an arm around her shoulders and moved her closer as they continued to walk down the path. Ed rolled his eyes.
 
“We can hardly afford to feed ourselves.” Ed continued to argue, “Let alone go to a carnival; they're all bloody robbers.”
 
“Well maybe if you weren't always locked away in your study doing your research, we wouldn't need an excuse to drag you outside.” The blonde girl stated smugly, taking his hand and dragging him to the carnival entry booth. Noa giggled at the blush that spread across Ed's face when she took his hand.
 
“Marian and Edward, up a tree,” she sang, “K-I-S-S-I-N-G, first comes love-”
 
“Shut up-” Ed warned.
 
“Then comes marriage-” Alphons joined in.
 
“-Shutup-” Marian said, but she still didn't let go of Ed's hand.
 
“Then comes the baby in the kissing carriage.” They finished. Ed glared but his expression turned to one of worry as Alphons coughed, but he turned away from the couple, glancing briefly at his hand clasped with hers, and up to her eyes. Green met gold and the both of them blushed. (1)
 
“C'mon, let's go in already.” Ed mumbled, ignoring, with great difficulty, the whispers and giggled coming from Alphons and Noa's direction, instead pulling out his wallet and paying for their admission, sighing at how much lighter it was.
 
“Don't worry Ed,” Marian said quietly into his ear. “It's a bit of fun, we'll live. It's a depression, but no one says we can't enjoy it.” Ed scoffed as she smiled encouragingly at him, and returned the gesture, waving them all in.
 
“C'mon, what am I? 20? And I'm taking you lot to a children's carnival, what's wrong with this picture?” Alphons laughed, slapping his hand onto Ed's shoulder.
 
“For once in your life Ed, stop worrying about what's wrong and enjoy yourself.” He emphasised, going into the carnival and looking around at the groups singing and dancing.
 
“Ooh, come, let's get a photo.” Marian said, pointing towards a man with a camera selling `instant' photos. “There are hardly any of us all together.” Ed sighed and let himself be dragged off to the photo booth. “You two are so cute together.” Marian said to Alphons and Noa, causing them both to blush, and sending Edward a wicked grin.
 
She led the way with Alphons, milling through the hundreds of people, who had decided to come along for the day. They passed various stalls, with different knick-knacks and other junk, Ed having to often fend off sellers. Noa hung back with him, while the other two looked at all the items with childish glee.
 
“Something the matter?” She asked quietly. Ed shook his head. “Alphons is right, you should enjoy the time that you're here.”
 
“That's just it,” Ed admitted, frowning. “How much longer am I going to be here?” he asked, for which Noa had no answer, and they walked in silence, the sound of music, laughter and singing filled the air. “When I see those two having so much fun, I can't help but be reminded of Winry and Al. And of how far away they are. How I might never know…if he's even alive…” She laid a comforting hand on his shoulder.
 
“You've changed since I first met you.” She commented. “You're a lot quieter, and more level-headed. Maybe you can spend your entire life on these rockets, trying to find a way back, and never make it home.” Ed glared at her as she picked at the bottom button of her shirt with both of her hands, but she continued oblivious. “Or maybe you'll return and it will be so much different.” She looked at him with her soft brown eyes. “Or maybe you'll go home, and everything will be perfect. But there's no point in speculating. You're here now, and I understand your research is important; but, you're important to us, and for the time that you're here, could you try to be less depressing, and stop thinking about everything so much.”
 
Ed glanced at the two ahead of them, who were trying, and failing, to hide the looks they shot over their shoulders every few seconds. Alphons coughing every once in a while. “I'll try.” He answered at last. Noa's smile widened.
 
“Thank-you.” She said softly.
 
“Come on Ed!” Alphons called. “You're falling a little behind aren't you?” He asked cheekily. Ed's face turned red. Marian giggled.
 
“That was stupid, I'd start running.” She suggested.
 
“Already on it!” He called back as Ed set after him.
 
“Who did you say was so small; his puny legs wouldn't allow him to catch a turtle walking through peanut butter!!”
 
 
“It's interesting.” Ed commented, looking at the strange piece of furniture in front of him. “What did you say it was called again?” Alphons looked at him incredulously.
 
“You're kidding me!” He said exasperated. “It's a piano! Pi-an-ooooo.” He pointed at the thing like a madman, sounding out the word.
 
“I can see it Alphons.” Ed replied rolling his eyes, and moving forward to inspect the strange object. “I've just never seen one before. You sure she'll like it? What does it do?” He lifted the wooden lid, after discovering the small silver hinges, and ran his fingers experimentally over the black and white keys. He pressed on one, and jumped back, letting the lid drop when it let out a sound.
 
“H-hey! Don't break it!” Alphons exclaimed, trying to hide his laughter at his obvious lack of comprehension, letting out a raspy cough. He pulled Ed away, who was still staring at it curiously. “Don't worry, she's wanted one for ages, she'll love it, and she can show you how it works.” He led him into the kitchen and they both sat down, returning to their work. “Sometimes, when you do stuff like that, I can really believe you come from another world.” He said.
 
“Still a skeptic?” Ed asked, raising an eyebrow. “Noa believes me, and if she does, why shouldn't you?” He asked. Anything else they might have said was cut off by the sound of the door shutting. And a loud squeal of delight drifted through the open doorway to the pair.
 
“Told you so.” Alphons grinned, standing up and greeting Marian as she ran in and hugged him.
 
“Oh my god, you didn't!” She said, looking into his face with the same gleam in her eyes that Winry got whenever you started talking mechanics or automail. “You did!” She said again. Ed chuckled. “Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.” She said in a rush, kissing Alphons on the cheek and running over to do the same to Ed. He blushed a deep crimson, but she seemed too preoccupied to notice. “How did you know?” she asked.
 
“Well you've only been raving about it since forever.” Alphons answered, with a satisfied grin. “How `bout a demonstration?” He asked. “Mr. Other-worlder here's never even heard of one, let alone heard one being played.” She turned to look at Ed, the same incredulous expression on her face as Alphons had worn moments ago.
 
“What? Were you neglected as a child?” she asked, “How can you not have heard of a piano?” she asked.
 
Ed shrugged. “Sorta.” He answered.
 
“Really?” she asked, rather insensitively.
 
“My dad left when my brother and I were young, and my mother died shortly after.” Ed explained. “I suppose Granny Pinako was there, but after Al and I left…” he trailed off, squirming on the spot. “So are you gonna do something with it or not.”
 
Marian's eyes widened slightly with remembrance, and the wide grin returned. “Oh right, of course.” She said. “This is the best birthday ever.”
 
Ed could do nothing but stand shocked after she had played.
 
“What? Was it really bad?” she asked, concerned. Ed shook his head.
 
“I've never heard anything like it.” He murmured, amazed. “Can you teach me?” he asked, turning to Marian, who grinned again. She never stops grinning like a maniac. Ed thought, as she opened her mouth and answered.
 
“Just call me tutor.”
 
 
“You sure have changed Edward, since the last time I saw you.” Hoenheim said stepping over the threshold of the rather large house Ed had recently purchased. “You're hardly a child anymore.” He mused quietly. Ed grinned lopsidedly.
 
“I'll take that as a compliment.” He said, closing the door quietly behind his father.
 
“I was quite surprised when I received your letter.” Hoenheim said, looking around at the grand house. “Seeing as we hadn't parted on the best of terms last time.”
 
“…I wanted some family at this thing.” Ed offered, shrugging.
 
“Ah, yes.” Hoenheim said, with a proud smile. “Definitely not a child.” He repeated. “I heard that Marian was giving you lessons on how to play the Piano?” he asked, in a conversational tone. Ed nodded.
 
“She started teaching me about 3 years ago, or so. Alphons and I got her one for her birthday, and, well, we don't have stuff like that in Amestris, I even learnt how to make one, just in case…you know.” He didn't elaborate on what the two of them knew, offering him some coffee or tea, and setting the hot drinks down on the coffee table between the couches.
 
“It's a rather big step Edward, surely you realise, that you accepting this means that you might've accepted that you'll never find a way home.” Hoenheim ventured, and Ed nodded.
 
“I know…but…it's been 8 years. How do I know…” he smiled grimly, “anything really, I don't know anything. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.”
 
“Forever the planner, aren't you Edward?” He asked. But his tone turned more serious. “Have you heard the rumors?” He asked. And Ed nodded.
 
“About the Thule Society, yeah. I'm not too concerned, I don't think they'll come after me again.” He replied, swirling the liquid in his mug around disinterestedly. “I heard they're after something else now.”
 
“Did you hear about Fritz Langue?” His father asked, eyes focused on Ed's as his head turned curiously.
 
“No.” he ventured slowly, “What happened?”
 
“He was found murdered. I don't know if any of it's connected, but you can never be too careful.” Ed frowned.
 
“He wasn't too bad, Fritz Langue; despite the fact that he looked like Fürher Bradley. It's a shame.” He mused. Hoenheim drank the rest of his coffee, and turned with a smile to Ed.
 
“But these topics are much darker than the reason I came.” He said, and Ed offered a weak smile.
 
“I don't know about that…” he said nervously.
 
 
The TV was the first thing that delivered the news to the group, as they stared at it, shocked. Hitler had risen to power, just that day. Promising things, promising honour for the Germans, what they had `lost' after the war; promising to get rid of the filth that didn't belong in their country. Noa gripped Alphons's hand tightly. “No…” she whispered. “They'll make me leave.” She said, burying her head in Alphons's shoulder, as he rubbed her back comfortingly, staring at the crowds shouting Hitler's name on the small TV. Ed stood up and shut it off. (2)
 
“Why would those idiot's vote for him?” He wondered aloud. He picked up the plates on the table and taking them to the kitchen sink, rinsing them quickly before joining the group in the lounge. Marian sat on the couch and he sat next to her, opposite Alphons and Noa, while Hoenheim sat on the chair in the middle.
 
“This is more than him just exiling the Jews and foreigners.” Hoenheim said. “The Thule Society's supported him from the start, even after the trouble they had the first time, if they get enough money to start searching again…”
 
Ed let out a frustrated growl. “I know, I know. If they find that stupid `dragon' they've been looking for.” He ran a hand through his fringe, messing it up accordingly. Alphons scoffed loudly.
 
“A dragon, the entire idea's completely ridiculous.” He said angrily. “That's the whole reason they never succeeded before, right? Our rocket might not have been perfected, but they wouldn't have done it without their stupid `leviathan.'”
 
“It's not completely insane.” Ed reasoned. “I've seen it.” Alphons looked at him, with a strange expression on his face. “It's not actually a dragon; it's a homunculus that crossed over the gate with me.” Hoenheim sat up straighter, staring at Ed intently.
 
“A homunculus?” he asked. “Which one?”
 
“…he came after me, for you.” Ed said. Hoenheim realised what he meant by that comment.
 
“Give it up already!” Alphons said angrily. Ed looked at him surprised, Alphons hardly ever yelled, he was as peace-keeping as his brother, if not more mischievous. “You keep talking about that stupid other world. You're insane, it couldn't possibly exist, why you can't see that, I don't know!” Ed face changed from surprised to angry. “We've got a real problem here, not some stupid fairytale about a land that isn't real! If Hitler starts doing what he promised, what do you think will happen to Noa?!”
 
He suddenly began coughing violently however, and said no more, and by the time he looked up from where'd he'd fallen on his knees, all he saw was a flurry of brown as Ed put on his coat and stormed out of the house. The door slamming behind him instigated a cry from upstairs, and soon a baby could be heard, crying out. “I'll get her.” Marian said quietly, quickly heading upstairs to tend to the toddler.
 
Alphons coughed once more, and sat back down on the couch. “You're forgetting, Alphons,” Hoenheim said, once the crying had stopped, “that Edward and I aren't German citizens either.” He held up a hand, stopping Alphons from saying whatever he'd opened his mouth to say. “Whether you believe our story or not, we originally moved to Munich from London.” Alphons blanched. He obviously had forgotten.
 
“He's not taking this seriously enough.” He said at last, his tone bitter. “He continues to carry on with his insane dream of returning to his brother.”
 
Hoenheim sighed softly, “Edward doesn't take any promise he makes lightly, Alphons.” He tried to explain, “He promised his mother, while she was on her deathbed, that he'd look after the both of them. Then…” he sighed again. “How would you feel, if you could do nothing but exist?” he asked. “You couldn't breath, you couldn't eat or drink, you couldn't sleep, you couldn't feel pain, you couldn't cry, you couldn't love? The only memories you had, were slowly starting to slip away? You couldn't even die?”
 
“What?” Alphons asked, sliding his hand into Noa's, comforting her; the diamond ring on her finger sparkling in the dim light; letting her know he was there. Hoenheim glanced at their clasped hands.
 
“How would you feel, if you thought yourself to be responsible for that happening to the person you cared most about?” He asked, looking up into Alphons's eyes, expectant of an answer.
 
“I-I'd…” Alphons struggled for words. “I'd feel horrible…I'd…I don't know; why is it relevant?” he asked finally.
 
Hoenheim waited a while before answering, and spoke just as Alphons was about to ask again. “When Edward and his brother were younger, they tried to resurrect their mother…a forbidden art in alchemy. Alphonse lost his body, and Edward lost his leg, he gave his arm for his brother's soul, and tied it to a suit of armor. Alphonse became the armor, unable to do anything, but exist. So they dedicated their lives to regaining what they'd lost…then when Edward was so close, he ended up here.”
 
Marian had descended the staircase and joined them in the lounge again, listening as Hoenheim spoke. “He's still unsure, of whether his alchemy made a difference, as to whether his brother's slowly fading away in the armor, or whether he's been returned to his body, and is living in Amestris. When he sees you,” he gestured to Alphons, “he sees what Alphonse might've become, had they not tried to resurrect their mother. You must forgive him for that.” Alphons looked down, ashamed of his outburst.
 
“He told me about the girl-the woman, that I remind him of.” Marian said quietly. “I understand…why he can't love me…like he loves her. Because I'm a constant reminder of what he lost; of what he left behind.” Al stood up suddenly, strolling determinedly towards the door.
 
“Al?” Noa asked uncertainly.
 
“I'm going after him, before he does something stupid. I've got to apologise.” He said and with a crooked grin, he stepped out into the cool night air.
 
“I'm going too.” Noa said. Exiting as well, leaving Hoenheim and Marian, in the suddenly empty house.
 
 
Ed walked down the dark cool street, a furious pace in his step. “Bastard.” He muttered quietly, his pace increasing in speed. He buried his face further in his cloak to attempt to stop the bitter wind biting at his cheeks. Of course I realise this is a big problem. He thought furiously.
 
He let out an angry growl, frightening the woman who he passed, but he paid no heed to the people moving on the street, many of them celebrating the new leader. He stepped into a dark alley and leaned against the wall. I'm not insane am I? Surely Amestris exists…I can picture it so clearly in my mind. He thought uncertainly.
 
The green fields of Risembool, the smell of Aunty Pinako's stew, the sound of Winry hacking away at her automail. Den yapping in the background, probably playing with Alphonse, and he was…where was he? Locked away in his father's study, trying to find a way to bring his mother back. He shook his head, as though that would throw off the memory.
 
I never appreciated it. He thought, his eyes burning. I've always wanted more, I can't just be happy with what I've got. Alphons's voice from their argument drifted back to him.
 
`You keep talking about that stupid other world…it couldn't possibly exist,'
 
He shivered from the cold, wishing that he'd brought a thicker coat, and brought it closer around him. Every law of science that he knew from this world went against the entire notion that another world could exist, parallel to this. Even the scientific laws from Amestris contradicted what he so strongly believed. Who was right, and who was wrong? Surely it can't be both… maybe I am insane… Ed thought dismally.
 
“Out wandering so late at night?” Ed's head snapped up, he wasn't alone in the alley anymore. He recognised the person, as the lieutenant always at Eckhart's side. “Perhaps, you should come with me; it's not safe to be walking around all alone, so late at night.”
 
“I don't think I will.” Ed said shortly standing up and brushing past the man, only to discover that there were plenty more outside of the alley. He spun around when the man spoke again.
 
“I'm sorry, Edward Elric,” he said, “But you don't have much of a choice.” He tried to spin quickly, to fend them off, but one grabbed his arm while another sprayed him in the face with something. His vision turned fuzzy.
 
“You…bastards…” he said, before closing his eyes. The last thing he heard was a familiar voice call out his name.
`If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.'
 
I'm not sure if that's how the song goes, childhood was so very long ago (I'm kidding I'm still a kid, just can't remember much lol)
I realise that in 1933 Hitler only became Chancellor, and not actually Fürher until a year later, but it's my story so go suck eggs. I'm kidding, chill out.
 
So another chapter, this time delving into the past. OMG THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!!! I don't have school until Monday, I swear to god whoever invented the school system is A BLEEPIN MORON!!! Maybe that's just because I hate it. So I've been trying to find this video called everyone else has had more sex than me, because its sooooo funny and I love it, and it's impossible to find because I want to put it on my mp3 player. And you should all watch it its hilarious. Go to www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php< /b>, am I allowed to put WebPages on this thing? But if your parents are all like AHH it's a rabbit singing about sex then maybe you shouldn't watch it lol.
 
Phe: BASTARD!!!! YOU GOT THE MOVIE!!!! OR YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET IT!!! I found out it's not released over here until SUMMER 2007!!! ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT JANUARY/FEBRUARY OR DECEMBER!!!! Seriously though don't get offended if I call you a bastard, my friend once said it's more of an insult if I don't, I have a problem. Yeah you're right about the Hoenheim not being dead cuz not exactly following movie thing, I reckon that part was sad cuz Ed's was all like, not doing anything. I suck at explaining stuff, you know what I mean. So yeah, hope you liked this chapter and yeah.
 
Misa92: I agree, though I doubt I'd get a copy anyway. 1.00a.m.?! That's insane, makes me appreciate the 10:30 thing, even though they took it off anyway. Bastards. And I still haven't seen Ep.#4. And I've forgotten all the crap that happened in those episodes I didn't get to watch a second time while the Foxtel was screwed up when we moved. I think it'd be funny if my 5 year old sister went on the net and used dad's credit cards to buy all this crap lol. Foaming at the mouth aye? I think perhaps you may need to see a doctor. I'm pretty sure that's a symptom of rabies. Nah I'm kidding chill out. Thanks, what level are you on with the piano thing? I've never gotten lessons, I had for like a term and then my teacher changed jobs so I never got another, I basically teach myself.
 
Nihinjon_AEC1990: I tend to put in unnecessary comers a lot lol, I'm getting like a c+ for English or something, but that's because I hated the stupid advertising assignment we did and I was so sick of it by the time it was due that I was like you know what I'd be happy with a c- for this, because at least then I'd pass. And I've still gotta do the last part for it on Monday! Hooray (that was sarcasm) can't really show sarcasm in writing though lol. Anyway enjoy, and I'll fix that thingy up for ya.