Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Stars of Home ❯ Stars of Home ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Stars of Home
 
FallenOtaku
 
Authors Note: Hey! I realize that this is a rally short fanfiction, and for that I am truly sorry. Normally they would be much longer, but I am making this up on a computer at school… in other words, I don't have a lot of time to do this… Gomen nasai…
 
Disclaimer: As much as I hate to admit it… I don't own FullMetal Alchemist… Hiromu Arakawa does…
 
* * *
 
A train whistle blew at it pulled into the station. Three companions sat in their train car, waiting for the train to finally reach their stop.
 
“Yeah! We're home!” the girl, Winry, cheered stretching her arms above her head, popping her cramped shoulders.
 
“It's nice to be back,” commented Alphonse Elric, his physical body gone, but his soul attached to a suit of armor. Their companion sat silently, looking out the window.
 
“Come on, Ed. Don't look so glum,” Winry said, trying to cheer him up.
 
“I'm not glum, I'm just thinking,” Edward Elric, elder brother of Alphonse, replied.
 
“Oh. Well, come on then, let's go,” she said as the train completely stopped. She grabbed her bag of mechanical equipment and nearly skipped off the train, Al and Ed following after her.
 
“Welcome back,” called out a voice. Winry spun around with a huge smile on her face.
 
“Granny!” she cried, wrapping her arms around the short old woman in a bear hug.
 
“Hello Winry. Hm? The Elric brothers? What brings you back to Resembool?” she asked kindly.
 
“Winry brought us back for a visit,” Al explained.
 
“I figured they needed some time to relax before continuing on their search again,” Winry told Granny Rockbell. She turned to Ed, “right Ed?”
 
“I guess it is nice to come back,” he agreed.
 
“Good to see you haven't gotten shorter since the last time I saw you,” Granny commented.
“Calling me short again are you, you short shriveled old prune,” Ed shouted. Granny hit him over the head with her arm.
 
“Don't call me short and shriveled and I won't call you short,” she snapped.
 
“So you think, I'm puny, eh?” he replied, “don't ever call me `short-stuff', `puny', or short ever again, got it?” he said back, still pissed off.
 
“Fine then,” she turned around, “let's all go home and eat. You're probably hungry after your trip down from Rush Valley.” Winry walked off with her grandmother, telling her about the amazing experiences she had at Rush Valley, leaving Al and Ed to tag along behind.
 
“It's good to be back,” Al commented, “I'm already starting to feel better.”
 
“Yeah,” Ed agreed, “me too.”
 
* * *
After a filling supper and cleaning up the dishes, Edward had gone outside and was sitting on the front step, looking at the starts in the cloudless sky.
 
“Hey, Ed?” came a timid voice from the doorway, “do you want to go on a walk?”
 
“Sure Winry,” he said, surprised at the tone of her voice. They walked down the road under the half full moon for awhile, neither saying a word.
 
“Are you happy to be home?” Ed asked finally. Winry nodded her head.
 
“Mn-hmm. `Course I am, although I was just as happy traveling with you and Al,” she answered.
 
“Winry, I think you should stay here when Al and I leave again,” he said quietly. Winry looked at him in shock.
 
“What? Why?” she asked, stopping in the middle of the deserted road. Ed sighed and ran his hand through his hair.
 
“Because it's only going to get much more dangerous for Al and I, and we don't want you to get hurt,” he explained.
 
“There is absolutely no way I an going to let you two go off again and possible get yourselves killed. I'm going with you,” she insisted stubbornly. Ed sighed again and sat down on the grassy hillside beside the road. Winry sat down beside him.
 
“Don't you just wish that you could go back to being a little kid again, before anything bad had happened, and you were so carefree?” he asked her quietly, looking at the sky sadly.
 
“Ed you didn't answer me,” she said irritated.
 
“I do,” he said, barely above a whisper, “all the time. I wish I could erase all the horrible things that I have seen, maybe be happy again.”
 
“Ed…” she whispered, saddened by his outburst.
 
“I've seen too many important things in my life disappear. I don't want to add you to that list,” he told her, “that's why I want you to say here and be safe.”
 
“So…?” she began, unconsciously leaning closer to him.
 
“You're important to me Winry. Can't you see that? You mean a lot and I would had myself forever if I ever let you come with us and get killed,” he confessed.
 
“And how do you think I feel?” she cried, grabbing on to his arm, “evertime you and Al leave, never sure if you're going to come back in one piece. You're important to me too. So you see, that's why I'm coming with you guys! There is no way, Edward Eldric, that I am going to let you stop --”
 
Ed silenced her ranting with a kiss. Her eyes widened in surprise before she realized what this meant. Winry broke off the kiss and fell into his arms crying.
 
“Please Ed. Be careful. If not for yourself, then for Al and me. Please,” she begged him.
 
“Alright,” he relented, “I'll be careful, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop searching for the Philosopher's Stone, or a way to get Al's and my bodies back.” Winry sighed into his shirt, her eyes closed.
 
“Thank you, Ed,” she whispered, “I love you.”
 
“I… love you too, Winry,” he whispered back, falling back onto the grass, is arms around Winry, staring at the bright, brilliant stars above.
 
`Home. The stars of home,' he thought.
 
END