Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Storyzorz ❯ The first part (yes i know i'm creative with naming things, it's almost as good as the writing itsel ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*******
 
After much nagging from my friends and family, I took up a summer job at Central Headquarters as a secretary for a Colonel. Being only fifteen years old, I was fairly new at the whole “job” thing.
 
“The phone's ringing.” My superior officer and employer, Colonel Roy Mustang told me, bringing me out of my daydreams with a start. I reached for the phone, but before I could lift the receiver, the door burst open, startling everyone in Mustang's office.
Half a dozen men entered, guns blazing wildly. Mustang flipped his desk over to use as a shield, and yanked me behind it. My older sister, Riza, had moved immediately behind it as well, and she shot back, killing a couple of them. More men entered and Mustang pulled out a couple guns, shoving one at me.
“You know how to use one of these?” He asked, poking his head over the desk to kill a few more.
“No.” I replied, staring at the gun he dropped into my hands with wide eyes.
“Pull this back.” He said, demonstrating. “And shoot.”
“Fine.” I said, pointing my gun over the top of the desk and shot blindly. I heard a shout of pain and grinned broadly at the Colonel and my older sister. “I think I hit one.” I said, looking up to see a burly man clutching his side and when he spotted me, raised his gun with his other hand. Mustang grabbed me around the waist and yanked me back down, quickly firing and killing the man.
“Be careful!” Riza said, shooting me worried look. “You'll get yourself killed, Sophie!”
I opened my mouth to argue but Mustang pulled me roughly to my feet, as all the men lay on the ground, dead. We left the room, guns at the ready, when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Without thinking, I turned and shot the person directly between the eyes. They slumped down to the floor and I stared down at the weapon I held tightly in my hand with horror mixed with awe.
“Nice shot.” Riza complimented and I followed her and the Colonel down the hallway towards the Fuhrer's office. They paused at the doorway and I spotted a tall, brawny man who turned and pointed a gun at Riza and Mustang. I slipped further into the shadows and watched as they carefully placed their guns on the floor. They walked over to join the Fuhrer, The Fuhrer's secretary, and Kura, who also stood at gunpoint.
“What are your demands?” The Fuhrer asked darkly and I realized I couldn't reload silently. I moved so that I would have an open shot at the leader and quickly cocked the gun. Without even turning his head, the man pointed his gun and shot me. As I fell backwards, time seemed to slow down and I felt my shoulder go numb. I landed on the floor amongst the fallen men, and I heard Kura and Riza let out horrified gasps.
“Sophie!” Riza screamed, taking a step forward. The man turned the gun to her and she paused, her gaze still on me.
I slowly switched the gun to my left hand and in one fluid movement, raised my arm and shot the man in the temple. He fell to the floor and I turned to shoot the others, who followed him. My eyes drifted shut and I heard hurried footsteps as people ran to aid me.
 
*******
 
Once I had recovered from the shot that skimmed my right shoulder, both Kura and I went North to train so that we could officially enlist in the military. I took the required exam and became a state alchemist, while Kura chose not to. After we finished our preparation, we returned to Central by the Fuhrer's command.
 
I rapped my knuckles on the office door and had a wide smile on my face when it was opened. “Hey.” I said, forced to crane my neck back to look up at the tall man who stood before me.
“Hi, I'm Jean Havoc.” He said, shifting the toothpick he had in his mouth to the corner to speak. “Who are you?”
“Sophia.” I replied and he nodded.
“Come in, Major.” Havoc said, moving over so I could pass him. “Hey Hawkeye, it's your sister.”
“Sophie?” Riza asked, looking up from her paperwork. She burst into a huge grin and ran over, giving me a hug. “I haven't seen you in four years, look how you've grown!”
“If you hug me any tighter, you'll break my ribs.” I managed to choke out and she immediately released me.
“Sorry Sis, it's just been so long.” Riza said and I smiled back at her.
“Is it always so hot here?” I asked, panting and shifting in my blue uniform. While the skirt kept my legs cool, the coat overheated my back, shoulders, and arms.
“It's not hot.” Riza said giving her head a shake. I laughed when her rebellious blonde hair fell out of the prim bun she always had it in. She instantly retied it before speaking. “You've just been up North, so you're used to the cold.”
“True, but my god, I'm dying.” I said, unclipping my own blonde hair from the simple clasp that held it at the nape of my neck. “Does anyone care if I take off this heavy jacket?”
“No.” A red-haired man I hadn't noticed before said. When Havoc and Riza also shook their heads, I took the coat off and tossed it over a chair that stood behind a sturdy desk.
Images flashed through my mind of a certain tall, handsome, black-haired man flipped the desk over to protect me and my sister. I shook my hair out, letting the long curly mass fall wherever it pleased.
Hopping up on the desk, I crossed my legs and smiled at the others. “So what's up in your Central lives?” I asked and Riza opened her mouth to reply when the door opened and Colonel Mustang, a tall, grey-haired man and, a dark-haired, spectacled man entered.
“I'm telling you Fuery, there are no such thing as ghosts!” Mustang snarled at the smaller one.
“But sir I-” Fuery protested before he spotted me. I smiled and slightly waved in response to his sudden loss of words. Mustang narrowed his eyes at Fuery's reaction, following his gaze to me.
“Colonel, you remember my baby sister, Sophie.” Riza said, nodded to me.
“Yes.” He said slowly, his dark eyes roaming over me, his gaze making me blush slightly.
“Well.” I said, clearing my throat slightly. “If you'd excuse me, I'd like to go speak with the Fuhrer.”
“Yes.” Mustang said, nodding to me as I passed him on my way out. I climbed the stairs to the Fuhrer's office, knocking lightly on the door before entering.
“Can I help you?” The Fuhrer's Secretary asked, her eyes narrowing as she tried to place my face.
“Hey, I'm Sophia Hawkeye and I'd like to speak with the Fuhrer.” I said, and watched her eyes widened when she recognized me. She looked hesitant, glancing over to the Fuhrer, who sat at his desk with a phone placed to his ear. The Fuhrer motioned me over and I inclined my head politely to the secretary before walking over to stand in front of his desk. I waited until he hung up the phone before opening my mouth to speak.
“You wanted to ask me something?” The Fuhrer asked, and I nodded, my throat suddenly frozen. I shifted the weight nervously, unused to being in a high up's presence. “Go on Sophia, it's alright.” He said soothingly, sensing my fear.
“Uh, I wanted to ask you if I could organize a volunteer thing.” I said softly and he was forced to lean forward to hear me. “I think we should go help rebuild the Ishval people's communities, because they are being unfairly targeted by motorcycling hooligans who harass them. One camp was actually burned to the ground because of these men.” I said, rushing through it in one breath.
“And you want to rebuild their camps?” He asked.
“Yes, with the help of soldiers and some funding, of course.” I said, my eyes on my shoes.
“I think,” The Fuhrer said slowly, his voice dark. “That these people don't need our help, they are horrible creatures who need to be exterminated.”
My head shot up, my eyes wide with shock. “Sir?” I asked in horror.
“I'm just teasing you, Major.” He said and I gave him a weak smile.
“Very clever, sir.” I said sincerely. “You got me.”
He laughed and thought for a moment. “I think your idea is absolutely brilliant, you have your funding and troops.”
“Thank you sir.” I said with a wide grin. “But I was thinking that we could make it a volunteer thing, so that no one would be forced into it.”
“Well, but up some sign-up sheets around HQ, and see if you get a reasonable number of signatures, if not, we can always make it mandatory.” The Fuhrer said and I immediately nodded in agreement.
“Thank you for your time, sir.” I said, saluting him and leaving the office, nodding to the secretary before I left. I very nearly skipped downstairs, pausing in front of a clock. “Noon already?” I asked myself, blinking with surprise. I continued my way to the office, which was empty. Working for almost half an hour, I created ten copies of a sign-up sheet and smiled down at the result. They were each brightly coloured and had a good reason for volunteering.
I held my papers in my arms and rose, turning to go post them when I crashed right into a brick wall, dropping all the sheets onto the floor. “What are you up to, Major?” A voice asked from above me.
I turned my gaze upwards to the face of none other but Colonel Roy Mustang. “I- uh,” I started but he had already bent down and was examining the papers.
“A volunteer sign-up to help rebuild a Ishvallin camp?” He asked and I nodded, accepting the papers he handed to me.
“I thought up the idea and just asked the Fuhrer, who thought it was a good one.” I said, regaining my cool demeanour. “Would you like to be my first?” I asked and I watched one of his eyebrows raise and a smirk appear on his face. “My first volunteer.” I said quickly, realizing how his misunderstood me. “For helping to rebuild the Ishvallin camp…” I trailed off with a small blush.
“Yes, I'll be your first.” He said with a wink, picking up a pen and signing his name on one of the sheets.
“Oh god.” I muttered under my breath, embarrassed. “Thank you Colonel Mustang, I'm sure the Ishvallins will appreciate it.”
“Roy.” He said, handing the paper back to me.
“What?” I asked, looking up into his dark eyes, my confusion obvious.
“Call me.” He said, his voice dropping drastically in volume as he leaned towards me. “Roy.”
“Oh.” I said, my voice barely audible. “Alright… Roy.” I watched his smoky eyes, as he closed the space between us and placed his lips gently on mine. A surge of emotion shot through my body and my eyelids fluttered shut as I kissed him back.
“So I as I was saying I-” I heard a voice say, and I tore my lips from Roy's, turning to face the speaker. “Uh, Hi.” Havoc said, looking uncomfortable. “We were just leaving.” He said nodding to Fuery who was with him.
I spotted Roy's self-satisfied smirk, and turned even redder. I took a deep breath to compose myself before I spoke. “Wait, Havoc, Fuery.” I said, moving away from Roy.
“Yeah?” They asked, pausing in the doorway.
“Do you guys want to sign up to help the Ishvallins?” I asked hopefully and Fuery immediately nodded, rushing over to sign his name, while Havoc frowned, hesitating for some reason. “Havoc?” I asked, offering him the paper.
“I don't know.” I he said with a wry grin and a shrug of his wide shoulders. “This is for an entire week, which means I miss out on two days of relaxation and dates.” He said and I felt my mouth fall open and I shot him an incredulous look. Roy leaned over and gently pushed my jaw up and I swayed, glancing up at him before turning back to Havoc.
“I can't believe you'd be so selfish!” I exclaimed furiously, taking an angry step forward. He retreated a bit and raised his hands in surrender.
“I was joking, little miss.” He said and I let out a sigh of annoyance.
“Aw, look, you got her all worked up.” Roy teased lightly and I whirled around and glared at him.
“Don't “aw” me, mister.” I spat, my small hands curled into fists.
“Why not?” He asked. “You look so cute when your mad.”
“Like a little kitty-cat.” Havoc put in.
“Well this cat has claws.” I shot back, snatching up my papers and storming from the room. I pasted up the sheets around HQ and wandered back to my room to sleep.
 
*******
 
“Hello? Sophie?” I awoke to my sister's voice calling to me through the door. “It's dinner time.” Riza said and I sat bolt upright, checking the clock to be sure.
“Wow, over five hours.” I mumbled as I pulled on a fresh uniform. I opened the door to my sister standing there with a conflicted look on her face.
“What is it, sis?” I asked, and she stepped inside the room, closing the door behind her. “Is there something wrong?”
“Well, Havoc told me about you-, about you and Roy.” She said quietly and I felt my eyes widen in sudden realization.
“Oh crap, you like him, don't you?” I asked, my gut twisting.
“Well, that's the thing, I thought I did.” She said slowly. “But I don't think I do, I think, I kind of like…” She said before thinking better of it and shaking her head.
“No, tell me.” I said, relieved that I hadn't gone against my sister.
“Well, his name is Miles.” She said and I blinked at her, willing her to continue. “He works down at the bakery on main street.”
“What does he look like?” I asked curiously.
“Oh, he's dreamy. He's tall, with light brown hair and beautiful green eyes.” She said and got a faraway look on her face.
“So, you aren't mad about me and Roy?” I asked and she instantly shook her head.
“Nope, you two would make a cute couple.” She said and it was my turn to shake my head.
“It's not going to happen again.” I insisted. “I need to concentrate on my career.”
“You're a Major, you don't need to get any higher.” Riza said and I frowned. “You're higher up on the ranks than I am.” She laughed before leading me to the mess hall. “Look, the Colonel is sitting over there, let's go join him.” She said, pulling me towards him.
“I don't see him.” I lied, digging my heels into the ground.
Riza paused to point. “Over there, beside the boy with the red coat, and the tall armoured guy.”
I let her drag me over to them after we had gotten our food and we sat down, with Riza on one side of me, and Roy on the other. I stared across the table at the small boy and slowly blinked in confusion. His state alchemist watch lay on the table while he shovelled down his food. `He can't be old enough to take the exam, could he?' I mentally asked myself. `Nah, he's only a kid, no more than twelve at the most.' I pondered over it for several more minutes as Riza tried to make small talk with the others.
I received a sharp elbow in the stomach from Riza, who shot me a look that clearly told me to make conversation. I glared at her before speaking.
“Hey, Edward?” I inquired, after we had been introduced.
“Yeah?” He asked, not looking up from his food.
“How old are you?” I gave him an innocent look when his head came up with a jerk.
“Why?” He asked suspiciously, his gold eyes narrowed.
“Curiosity.” I replied. “It appears that you have a state alchemist's pocket watch, and you seem too young to have taken the exam. Why, you're only a child.” I said and he frowned before going back to his food.
“I'm sixteen.” He said, his mouth once again full of food.
“Sixteen?” I asked, in surprise. He was only three years my junior, yet he seemed so much younger.
`Maybe it's because he's so small.' I thought. `I suppose so.'
“Are you going to ask them to sign up for your Ishvallin thing?” Roy asked in my ear and I shivered from his nearness.
“Oh, yes.” I said, moving a little closer to my sister. “I forgot to ask Riza.”
“Ask Riza what?” My older sister asked and I turned a shot her a friendly smile.
“If you might want to sign up to go rebuild an Ishvallin camp for a week.” I said before turning to look at the tall one called Alphonse, and Edward. “Anyone can sign up.”
“That's sounds fun, brother.” Alphonse said, staring down at Edward. “I think we should sign up.”