Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Suprise! ❯ "Since when did you smoke?" ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

_________________________________________________

Edward woke up early that morning, unable to sleep in the first place. It was 6 in the morning now, with Edward sitting in bed trying to get back to sleep. Nothing worked, for now she was wide awake. She sighed and carefully got out of bed, trying not to wake Roy. It was a damn good thing he was a heavy sleeper. She crept towards the bathroom, the floor squeaking beneath her with almost every step she took.

She cleaned her face and hands before heading back to the bedroom to dress herself. She pulled out some jeans and a red tank top, then proceeded to pull them on while making her way out of the bedroom again. It was so wierd. She hadnt usually been up this early unless she needed to be, and even then someone was awake with her, let it Al or Winry. It was so quiet, when usually the house was filled with shouts and ranting, let it be from Winry or herself. She felt so lonely at the moment.

Now there was nothing to to do. No one to talk to, nothing too incredibly amusing caught her attention. Hell not even Den was awake. She made it to the living room and looked around. Silence filled the air. There was only a slightly dim light coming from the window, where the sun had just slightly come over the horizon. That's what she'd do. She'd go outside and relax, and enjoy the nice morning smell, the breeze. The site of the sun just reaching the sky, the sounds of the animals and birds awakening. Everything sounded heavenly at the moment. This might've been the only chance she could also sit and finally enjoy something that had caught on while she was away.

Smoking.

In no way was she proud of herself, but it calmed her down in the most irritating or confusing of situations. Edward traveled back upstairs and rummaged around in her suit case until her eyes landed on the pack of cigarettes she had hidden in a pair of her jeans. Roy had no idea she smoked, but sooner or later she would be caught.

She plopped on the front step of the porch and smiled to herself. She hadnt smoked in days, and it was getting to her. She opened the pack and devistation caught her.

Only two left.

Edward sighed sadly and lit it with her crimson red lighter. She was really hoping that this session could last longer, but unfortunately that wasnt a choice anymore. She leaned back slightly and let the cool breeze hit her neck. She rubbed it. Roy had left a pretty damn fine hickey. Maybe that's why Al had been staring at her so wierdly the night before. She laughed quietly to herself. How old was Al now? 17? Surely he couldnt be embarrassed by such situations anymore?

"Edward!"

She looked up to the voice that was happily calling her name only to find a friend of hers that she hadnt seen in years.

"Alex.." She smiled. Alex approached. He was wearing compfortable looking jeans and a black t-shirt with a strange design on it. His brown hair was slightly messy as usual.

"That's wierd..."He said, giving her a smirk."I always thought you were male..."

She looked away."Dont ask about that. And NO, it wasnt a sex change."

He only nodded."Whatever you want. And since when did you smoke?"

Edward shrugged."Some bad habit that caught on while traveling.You dont know what kind of hell it was.."She laughed."Trust me, I NEED this."

"Got anymore?" He sat next to her.

She sighed. She didnt want to lie, but then again she was hoping to save the last one for later. "Have at it."

He smiled and happily took it.

"And since when did YOU smoke?" Ed asked smirking.

"Oh please, I've been smoking since I was 15."He said, resting his chin in his hand, his elbow propped on his knee.

"How old are you now?" Edward asked, raising an eyebrow.

Alex laughed."Wow, I feel SO special. C'mon, i know YOUR age, so how old am I?"

Edward huffed."I dont know, I've been gone for 6 years."

Alex loked at her."21."

"Really?" Edward raised an eyebrow again."You've always been that much older than me?"

He was silent, then nodded.

Edward stared at him, then looked away."How old am I?"

Alex was silent again, staring straight ahead with a dull look on his face."16."

"Wrong."

"So then how old are you, princess?" Alex grinned at her, causing a blush to creep into her face. It was the way he was looking at her.

"18, you dumbass." Edward said quickly looking away.

"Ooh, so you're legal?"

"I'm taken."

Alex made a whining noise."Daaamn. Of course you are, honestly, who doesnt want you?"

Edward blushed furiously."Stop flirting you idiot."

"You're mean."He smiled at her."C'mon you know you want me."

"Maybe if I wasnt TAKEN." Edward said, finishing off her cigarette. Damnit it was gone. She flicked it into the grass.

"By who?"

Edward layed back onto the porch and looked at the door."Someone I work with in the military..."

Alex nodded."Is he a state alchemist like you?"

Edward nodded back in response."Have you heard of the Flame Alchemist?"

Alex got a shocked look on his face."Really?You're dating Roy Mustang?"

"He's inside right now sleeping."

Alex kept the look for a moment before smiling to himself."Alright then, I gotta go."

Edward sat up and watched him walk off the porch."What were you doing out here this early anyway?"

He looked back her, hands in pockets and grinned."Stalking you."

Edward shook her head before standing up and making her way inside. Now she was bored once again. Something clicker in her head.She raced back outside.

"Give that back!!" She yelled to him. She now realized that Alex had never lit the cigarette she had given him. He looked back and grinned.

"But you have nothing to light it with."

"You idiot, I have a lighter in my-"She flet around in her pocket. Her lighter was gone. When she looked back up to Alex, he was waving it around in his hand."When did you take that?!"

He pulled the cigarette out and lit it."You're so oblivious..."

She growled in the back of her throat before catching the lighter , which alex had thrown back to her. As he walked away, she sighed and re-entered the house. She should probably go and brush her teeth to get the smokey breath and taste to go away.

~^~

Al strecthed and yawned. Sitting up, he rubbed the back of his head then looked to his clock. 8:30. As much as he didnt want to, Al slinked out of bed and towards the bathroom. Last night had just been to wierd, he could've sworn it was a dream. He wished it was a dream. But no, it was reality. The kind of reality you could only find by living with him, or even knowing his family. It was a hellish reality he hoped would go away, wished it would go away, but it never did. Everyday it got worse, or as for yesterday, more awkward. It only added more wierd things to the list off oddities his family possessed.

He pushed the thoughts aside as he heard noises coming from the living room. Slowly he approached and peaked around the corner, finding his sister playing quietly with Den. He sighed in relief and entered the room.

"How are you feeling today?" Al asked sitting with her.

"Worse than yesterday..."She whined."Everything just hurts..."

"Then you should stay longer" Al grinned.

"Alphonse..."Edward said in a warning tone, smiling.

"I'm sorry..."Al laughed."I just dont get to see you enough as it is...even before the accident we rarely talked..."

Edward looked back to Den. Al was right. After retrieving Al's body, Alphonse had moved back to Rezimbool while Edward bought her own house, which Al had been watching over while she was away. It was rare that either of them called eacho other anymore. There was just nothing interesting to talk about. Every now and then Ed would call Al up and tell him to stay at his house for a few days and Alphonse would happily oblige.

"Well then why dont you come and stay with me?" Edward said smiling at her brother, who's face lit up with a bright smile."You kept the house in order, right?"

Al nodded quickly."Of course! Everything is as it was before you left. Well, except I cleaned... you're a very unorganized person..."

Edward growled quietly."Thanks..."

"Can Winry come?"

Edward's breath hitched. It's not that she didnt want Winry there....it would just be an awkward few days.".......sure, why not?"

Alphonse beamed with excitement."It'll be great! :D"

Edward nodded, trying to hide the nervousness behind her smile."Of course..."

~^~
Once Roy and Winry woke up, they told Pinako they would be going out for breakfast and asked if she wanted to join, but she declined. They shrugged it off and left.


"So we'll be staying there for how long?" Winry asked, a little taken back by the sudden information. Couldnt they have decided this the night before?

"2 weeks at the most..."

Edward choked."W-wait--How long?!"

"Well..."Al fidgeted."I havnt seen you in a while...I dont want you to just go, because then we wont talk to each other for months to come. I dont want that..."

Edward looked at her brother then nodded."All right...and after you guys leave, we'll make a promise to call each other everyday."

Al and Winry nodded."Definately."

~^~

Upon returning home, Edward and Roy put their things together as did Alphonse and Winry. Roy finished and sat on the bed watching his blonde lover gather her things.

"How are you feeling..?" He asked. Edward jumped. She had been spacing out so much she forgot she wasnt alone.

"....Honestly? Not any better than before....it really hurts now, but Winry gave me some pain killers they use on patients, so it's the good stuff."She grinned."The pain will go away soon."

Roy only nodded in response.The room grew silent once again. Roy found it rather uncompfortable, but Edward didnt seem to mind much. Either that or she was seriously spacing out big time.Finally she closed her suitcase and picked it up.

"All set. How about you?"

Roy nodded as he stood."Yeah..."

Edward looked at him, worried."Are...are you mad at me?"

Roy gave her a confused look."What makes you think that?"

"Well..."Edward kept walking."It's just the tone of your voice..."

Roy shook his head."I'm not mad...just curious..."

Edward didnt look at him. She wanted to ask what he was curious about, but maybe it had to do with her smoking? She didnt want it to slip by accident so she kept her mouth shut. Roy would probably smack her silly if he knew she smoked, he never really liked it.

Once they left and boarded the train, Edward immediately curled up with her head in Roy's lap, determined to get sleep. Not to mention she had lied about the pain killers. Everything hurt like hell, and she just wanted the pain to go away. She had no idea what it was, and to a point it scared her. It felt like her stomach was knotting, sometimes it felt as if someone was stabbing her in her lower abdomen. The first thing she would do when she entered her home was go back to sleep, but most likely that wouldnt happen. Al would definately want to go out and do something. She sighed, then finally sleep caught her.

For once, instead of wishing to arrive at her destination as soon as possible, she hoped the train ride would be a long one, this way she could sleep and forget about the torturing pains in her stomach.