Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Technicalities ❯ A Fond Farewell ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN:

Sugarpony: Welcome back, dear readers! The first chapter was pretty depressing. And sappy. But hopefully, the fic should have some humor soon. Bear with me, please!

Standard Disclaimer: Sugarpony does not claim to own Fullmetal Alchemist.

---

Technicalities

Chapter Two

A Fond Farewell

---

Alphonse Elric, startled and shocked, watched as his older brother fled from the room. Before he could run after him, however, Colonel Mustang stopped him.

“Let him go, Al,” he said. “Edward has things he needs to do.”

The suit of armor turned to face the woman standing in the corner. “Midori-san, how did you know about...?” He faded at the end of the question.

The worker sipped at her coffee. “It’s my job. When I’m given an assignment, I do a very thorough background check before confronting him.”

“But Colonel, does nii-san really have to go?”

Mustang sighed. “As much as I hate to admit it, Edward is a minor, and the higher ups are finally doing something about it.” He swiveled his chair around to face the raging storm. “There’s nothing I can do.”

Alphonse looked to the floor, dismayed. Midori, however, put her own spin on the subject.

“It’s for the boy’s own safety, Mustang, and you know it. With Scar around, he is constantly in terrible danger. And face it,” she strode over and settled herself on the couch once more, “he’s had way too many close calls as it is.”

“What about his automail, Midori-san?”

Mustang smirked. “The boy does bring up a good point, you know. He has a very nasty habit of losing his temper, and that usually takes its toll on his automail.”

The woman let out a frustrated sigh. “We will do the same thing that he does now; whenever his automail needs a checkup, we will take him to his mechanic- or rather, we will have his mechanic come to him.” Impatiently, she checked her watch. “Mustang, I really don’t have any time for the antics of a teenager. Either get the boy so that we can go,” she narrowed her eyes at the officer, “or I will get him myself.”

The colonel turned around and stood. “Come on, Alphonse,” he said, “let’s go Fullmetal hunting.”

---

Havoc took a long drag of his cigarette. “I must say, Breida, I never imagined the government would crack down on the Elrics. I mean, aren’t they supposed to be this huge asset to the military?”

Breida, half asleep, looked impartial. “Maybe they finally realized what he spent in damages wasn’t worth it.”

First Lieutenant Liza Hawkeye, however, had a different opinion. “They’re just children, you two. I for one am glad that the higher ups are finally doing something about them. They don’t need all this military business at their age.” She snatched away the tobacco from Havoc. “And you don’t need to be full of smoke while on duty.”

As the two stopped to bicker, the tired Breida continued on- and walked straight into a solid wall. After gathering himself, the now awake man stared at the offending object. “Since when is there a wall here?” he questioned.

The fighting pair paused and looked to where Breida was glaring. Hawkeye confusedly walked to the wall and rapped on it. “This wall is hollow,” she said. “It’s not supposed to be here.”

“Do you think we should get the Colonel?” Havoc asked, referring to Mustang.

“Havoc, none of us can use alchemy to get rid of this wall. So my answer would be a resounding YES. Now move!” Hawkeye chased him out, waving her gun at him in a threatening manner. Breida just sat on the floor and started snoring.

Before long, however, his nap was interrupted by his Havoc kicking him out of the way.

“Hey! What was that for?”

“You were in the way, you baka.”

Ignoring the fighting pair, Mustang began to draw a transmutation circle on the ground. After quickly evaluating his handiwork, he activated the circle, and the wall slid back into the floor.

All present turned to the now reveled dead end as the Colonel gently lifted the sleeping Elric. “Alphonse, will you please take Fullmetal back the dorms? Be careful not to wake him.” He then turned to Midori. “Midori-san, I believe this can wait until morning?”

The woman sighed. “I suppose so. Contact me as soon as he is awake tomorrow.” And with those words, she bowed out and took her leave.

Before the younger Elric left, he spoke with Mustang. “Sir, isn’t there anything you can do?”

“Sadly, no,” he replied. “The furor’s begun to think that Edward is too young to be chased down by Scar. He authorized it himself. Just be thankful that he didn’t take away his State Alchemist title.”

Al looked to the floor, downcast. He nodded and slowly walked away.

What am I going to do without you, brother?

---

Early the following morning, Edward awoke to his brother sitting beside to him. Ed slowly sat up, rubbed his eyes, and stretched himself out.

“Huh.... Did I fall asleep in the library again, Al?”

The younger brother started at this question. “Uh, no, brother,” he began. “Don’t you remember what happened last night?”

“What happened last night?”

Edward sat in silence for a moment, thinking this over. Let’s see. Um.... Al made me leave the library to eat dinner.... Hughes ambushed us.... Um.... Then what happened? I don’t remember eating.... Oh, that’s right! Mustang called me into his office.... Damn him! That bastard didn’t even let... me... eat.... Oh, shit!

He snapped his head up quickly, giving himself whiplash. “Al, please tell me that was just a dream. We didn’t really meet anyone named Midori, right?”

Alphonse’s silence spoke volumes.

“Well, I guess I’d better pack, then.”

What more can I do?

Before he even stood, however, his stomach rumbled noisily. Alphonse laughed.

“I think you’d better eat something, first, brother.”

Edward blushed. “Yeah, well, it’s not my fault that damned Mustang dragged me off before I even got to eat my dinner last night!”

“If you didn’t forget to eat so often, so wouldn’t have this problem. You might not be so small, either.”

“Hey! Don’t talk to your big brother that way!”

“If you’re my big brother, then why I am taller than you?”

“Hey!”

---

The mess hall became silent when the Fullmetal walked in that day. Everyone, it seemed, had heard the the boy was to be taken away. Ed and Al sat down at the end of an empty table, Ed immediately digging into his food.

Once again, however, he was interrupted by Hughes. This time, though, the man was not cheery and hyper; in fact, he was in a very somber state.

“So,” he began, “any idea where you’re going?”

Edward sighed. “No,” he replied. “I don’t know a damn thing, and I don’t want to.”

“Midori-san didn’t tell us where she would be taking brother. We don’t have any idea how far away it is.”

The three sat in silence for a few minutes, Ed scarfing down his breakfast. Before long, Breida came to retrieve the young state alchemist. As he stood to leave, Hughes beckoned him back.

“Edward, if you ever need any help, you have my support on this end.”

Ed nodded. “I know. Thanks.”

Breida led Edward into the main entrance hall, where Midori stood impatiently next to Colonel Mustang. “Come on, Edward,” she haughtily said. “We haven’t got all day. We’re already running late thanks to yesterday’s antics.”

As the boy silently walked towards his fate, Mustang did something most unexpected- he saluted the Fullmetal. All other military personal in the immediate area took this as their cue, and they saluted Edward Elric, giving him an honorable farewell.

And together, Midori and Ed walked out of Central Headquarters and towards a waiting black car.

Whatever comes, Ed thought as he was ushered into the backseat, I need to be ready for it. From now on, I’ll face anything head on.

---

AN:

This chapter is even shorter than the first, which is extremely unusual for me. Oh, well, this seemed like the perfect place to stop. It’s mostly just a filler, anyway. SO. Let me know what you think. Even if you thought it was the biggest piece of crap ever written, just drop a review and let me know.

Thanks for reading!

-Sugarpony