Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Lunar Alchemist ❯ The State Alchemy Exam ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey, I realized that I messed up big time in the very first chapter or the prologue. Elle wasn't supposed to say she was an eleven-year-old kid because this whole story is like a flashback of her journeys as a state alchemist. So for purposes sake she's going to be 21 years old because I am going to include certain parts of the Fullmetal alchemist games, books, and the movie including the third Fullmetal alchemist name that isn't released in America yet. DAMN YOU SQUARE ENIX GET THE FREAKIN LICENCE ALREADY!!!!! Okay I'm done ranting and fixing the mistake I stupidly made and I'll let you know when I'm entering a book, or the third Fullmetal alchemist game, which is called the girl who turned from god or something like that. I am not thinking of Bluebird Illusion and I want to know the damn story line too! Damn homunculi version of Edward named pride. How the hell he become a homunculi anyways? If anyone knows because you're like ultimate masters of the Internet please let me know because I have an idea or please help me look it up. :D yeah I know I said I was done ranting I'm officially done now.
 
Chapter 2
Happy B-day!
 
I woke up two and a half hours later on a bed with Ed next to me and holding an ice pack to my already swollen cheek. Ed was looking at me with eyes full of guilt.
 
“Are you alright Elle?” He asked. He was the only one in the room with me.
 
“Yeah but why did your fist feel like metal?” I asked.
 
“I guess you'd know eventually.” He sighed removing his t-shirt and gloves and reviled and automail arm. “Half of my left leg is automail. Al isn't normal either.”
 
“Is that why Al wears armor? He's self-confident?”
 
“No, Al is the armor.”
 
“Is the armor? What are you talking about?”
 
“When Mom died Al and I missed her so much that we got a real alchemy teacher in Dublith. We spent a year with her before using Dad's old human Alchemy books. We were going to attempt it.” He said starting to lose his voice.
 
“No, you were going to do a human transmutation!?” I whispered with as much anger and shock I could.
 
“We did attempt human transmutation.” Ed said starting to quietly sob. “Al lost his whole body and I felt so bad because he really didn't want to do human alchemy but did because I wanted to. He was following me into things. I found a suit of armor in the corner and my leg was already gone. I dragged myself over to the armor and knocked it over and drew a transmutation circle on the inside of the neck part in the back and the same circle on the rest of my limbs, forehead, and heart. When I sealed Alphonse into the armor I lost my right arm. Then I got automail and wanted to join the military as a state alchemist so I could get research on things that are forbidden to be sold in bookstores so we could get our bodies back to normal using the philosopher's stone.” Ed explained. “I'm sorry too Elle, I didn't mean to punch you. I'm used to Al doing that to me so I usually punch him with my automail so I don't hurt my other arm!” He added full out crying. (Yes I'm aware that Edward is OOC this chapter but that's cause he's talking to Elle and she isn't originally in the anime. After all, Ed just remet her after almost 13 years without her.)
 
I was shocked to say the least. Who knew besides those who know the legend of my older brother that a kid faced this much drama already in his life? I mean my father abandoned me after he took me away from my mom Ed and Al when he dumped me in Xenotime but still.
 
“It's alright Ed, calm down.” I said sitting up and I hugged him as I tried to imagine the pain Ed and Al had to go through since mom died.
 
After about ten minutes Ed calmed down enough and he smiled at m.
 
“Thanks El, I needed that.”
 
“No problem. Just wondering bro, when was the last time you cried?”
 
“When and I found out that Winry's parents were killed in the Ishbal Rebellion and we imagined how it would be for us to imagine mom. Apparently we jinxed her death.”
 
“Not really Ed. I mean everyone dies eventually somehow or another.” I said. “It was just mom's turn unfortunately.”
 
“But she's so young!”
 
“My new family adopted a toddler while I was there and we woke up one morning and for some unexplained reason passed away during the night.”
 
“I…I'm sorry Elle.”
 
“It's alright. I got over it.” I said simply yawning. “I'm going to go to sleep for real instead of an unconscious state.”
 
“No you can't! You might have a concussion!”
 
“I'm not dizzy nor am I feeling ill.” I said. “I've had concussions before Ed.”
 
“Alright.” Ed said taking a piece of chalk and drew a straight line. “Walk on this line.”
 
“What the hell? I'm not drunk Edward. That's just going way to far.”
 
“How am I going to far? I just want to make sure you're alright!”
 
“True. Sorry. Hey, where's my bag?”
 
“Downstairs still why?”
 
“Um…I…kinda need a stuff animal to sleep at night.” I whispered. “I don't like being alone.”
 
“You can come bunk with Al and me.” He said supportingly.
 
“O-okay I guess.” I added nervously following Edward down to his room after getting my bag and changing into my pajamas and we saw Al and Nina drawing with crayons. Which happened to be my favorite thing in the world.
 
I walked over to them and saw Al drawing with a lot of artistic care. I looked over his shoulder to see a beautiful field and a huge house.
 
“You're pretty good Al.” I said sitting on the floor with my bag next to Al and Nina while Ed sat at the desk with a couple of pieces of paper and a pen.
 
“Thanks sis. That's the field you can see our house from and that's our house.” Al said. “I used to draw all the time but I rarely do anymore.”
 
“Why not? Studying to much lately?” I asked and I pulled out an art book from my bag and took out an art kit I assembled that had crayons, markers, colored pencils, and in a separate baggie I had oil pastels.
 
“You draw too?” Nina asked.
 
“Yeah but I'm not as good as Alphonse is. I'm mostly a novelist but nothing is published.” I added.
 
“Can I read one of your stories some time?” Al asked.
 
“Sure why not?” I said look up to my older brother.
 
Edward was facing the desk tapping the desk with one of the pens that were in a cup and Nina walked over to him to see what he was doing and he was practicing writing.
 
“Are you drawing too little big brother?” Nina asked.
 
“No Nina, I'm practicing my writing skills.” Ed said.
 
“Huh? With your automail?” I asked.
 
“No, using my left hand.” Edward said simply still focusing on the paper.
 
“Why not use your automail Ed? Wouldn't it be easier?”
 
“Because this happens.” Ed answered clutching a pencil and it shattered the moment he closed his hand.
 
“Okay, I guess that'll work I suppose.”
 
“See what I mean. The pens just explode but I don't want ink on the automail to make it all messed up.”
 
“Well taken.” I said “But then again, Al can draw and write when he took the exam even with his armored body. What's the difference?”
 
“The armor's different than the automail.”
 
“Oh I get it because its hollow the armor doesn't have that much pressure against the pencil or pen unless you purposely grip it really tightly.” I understood.
 
“I'm also really careful.” Al added.
 
“Ah.” I added and I was rather tired already and I couldn't hold back a yawn.
 
“Are you tired sis?” Al asked me
 
“Yeah kinda.”
 
“You can use my bed to sleep on El.” Ed said looking at me with a face full of concern.
 
“Nah, I'll be alright.” I said getting my bag and I headed back to my room.
 
I didn't want Alphonse to see me with a stupid security blanket I suppose you could call it. To be completely honest I didn't really want Edward to know because I will never know what he'll say about me behind my back. Heck some other kids that live in Xenotime have called me various names. Just because I am an eleven, almost twelve year old kid and have to have a stuffed animal that I have to use in order to sleep.
 
I pulled out my dog, which is a husky, and laid down in the bed I woke up in when Tucker came into the room to check on me.
 
“Ah, you're awake. Are you alright?” He asked.
 
“Yes sir, I'm fine. Ed's punches won't keep me down for long.” I assured him.
 
“That's good. Have you seen Nina?”
 
“Yeah, she's in Edward and Alphonse's room coloring with them.”
 
“Thank you. Now I bid you goodnight.”
 
“Goodnight?” I said unsurely. “Hmm. `I bid you goodnight?' That sounded like something some snotty rich man would say.” I thought as I changed into my pajamas and climbed under the covers and went to sleep.
 
The next day I decided to roam and explore central since the second day of the exam was three days away and the hardest part of the exam was over so I thought.
 
Once I got dressed I walked over to the window and looked out it to see a white powder covering the ground. I didn't even know what it was either, after all Xenotime is near a desert. It's not as bad as cities in the smack middle of a desert like Ishbal or Liore but it was relatively close sometimes.
 
I saw Al, Nina, and Alexander, who is Nina's dog, in the courtyard playing in the mysterious white powder. Then Al noticed me in the window and waved. I smiled and waved back to Al shyly.
 
I'll have to admit but now that I know the truth about Alphonse and the story behind his suit of armor. It was honestly hard for me to look at Al the same as Edward, Nina, and myself. After all, if Edward couldn't find a way to bind Al's soul to the armor or the armor itself, Al would've died that night and Ed might've died too from massive blood loss. It had to have been Al who carried Ed to safety that night. If Ed lived and Al didn't he would be a very lucky kid. Now don't get me wrong, I love Alphonse with all my heart even if he is a suit of armor. But it's rather hard for me to think of him as a human and not a ghost or a spirit even though that's mostly what he is and he's still my little brother.
 
Anyways, I opened up the window and was greeted with a gust of cold air. I closed my eyes quickly and pulled my head back inside until the wind calmed down some and then I stuck my head back out again.
 
“Alphonse, what is that stuff?” I asked.
 
“You don't remember snow?” Al asked shocked.
 
“No, after all I was five when I was left in Xenotime and you should know that Xenotime is a desert.” I said.
 
“Hmm. Good point.” Alphonse added. “Come on out and play, it's fun!” Al called.
 
“Alright then. I guess I'll come out.” I added getting my coat from the chair and headed to the courtyard. I picked up a handful of snow and dropped it automatically. “Why is it so cold? How can anything like this be any fun?” I asked confused as Al and Nina laughed. “Hey Al, where's Ed?”
 
“Probably in the library somewhere.”
 
“Does Ed do anything besides study for anything and everything?”
 
“No, not really.” Al said as Edward opened the door.
 
“Al?” He called shielding his face from the sun reflecting off the snow.
 
“Hey Brother!” Al and I said.
 
“We made angels broder come look!” Nina said cheerfully.
 
Ed's face went from a confused look to a look of extreme happiness as he smiled hugely and he couldn't resist the temptation to jump in so he jumped of the porch and into the snow.
 
“Wow Ed your crazy!” I laughed.
 
“Why don't you join in Elle?” Ed asked.
 
“She's from Xenotime Ed. They don't get snow there and she didn't like the snow when she picked it up.
 
“Seriously? Come on Elle it's fine!” Ed called as he picked up some snow and threw it at Al.
 
“Ah that was not fair!” Al called angrily.
 
“All's fair in war Al.” Ed said tapping Al's metal shoulder.
 
“Hey kids.” We heard a voice say and a man wearing a military uniform came over.
 
“Do they know about the human transmutation?” I thought scared and rushed over to Ed.
 
“What the heck Elle?” Ed asked. “Oh you two never met before. Sis, this is Major Maes Hughes. Hughes this is my younger twin sister Elle Elizabeth Elric.”
 
“Hey kiddo. Are you taking the Alchemy exam also?”
 
“Yeah I am.” I added.
 
“What's up today Hughes?” Al asked.
 
“Oh right. I'm here to invite you to my house for a party. Gotta keep Ed and now that I know Elle her from studying through their birthdays.”
 
“Oh yeah that's today!” Al replied.
 
“How did you find that out? I didn't tell anyone about my birthday. Did you Elle?” Ed asked.
 
“I don't know anyone in the military besides Tucker and now Mr. Hughes.”
 
“Oh, I'm in the investigations department. I wouldn't make much of a major if I couldn't figure out when two kids' birthdays were.” Hughes replied.
 
We all looked at each other sadly because we were having fun and Hughes only mentioned Ed and me, Not Al or Nina. And we didn't want the fun to stop.
 
“Oh don't be sad, you're all invited.” Hughes said suddenly and our faces lit up.
 
“Alright! Party at Hughes house!” Ed, Al and I called and Hughes laughed.
 
After Nina got permission from Tucker to join us at the party Hughes led us to his house and when we got there his wife Gracia was there to welcome us with open arms.
 
“Welcome kids.” Gracia said.
 
“Your stomach's a melon!” Edward shouted.
 
“Edward!” I shouted punching his flesh arm since I was on that side.
 
“It's alright sweetie.” Gracia replied.
 
“Are you having a baby soon?” Al asked curiously.
 
“Any day now.” She smiled. “The baby's been making quite a fuss. She's ready to come out and see the world.”
 
“Can I feel Miss Hughes?” Nina asked knowing that babies moved inside of their mother's stomach.
 
“Sure thing anyone else?” Gracia asked.
 
“Um…sure.” I said and Nina and I put a hand on her stomach gently and we felt the baby kick our hands. “I see what you mean.” I added.
 
“It moved! It moved!” Nina cried happily and laughed. “It feels funny.” She said as I took my hand away.
 
“Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Hughes.” I said. “Do you have any names picked yet?”
 
“Hughes picked the name if the child of the boy and I chose the name if it was a girl. If the child is a girl her name will be Elysia Marie Hughes. If it's a boy it's Michael Anthony Hughes.” Gracia explained.
 
“They're both pretty names Mrs. Hughes.” Nina and I said with a smile.
 
We sat around in the Hughes' living room telling stories and jokes and Hughes told us of someone named Roy Mustang's mess-ups during the war in Ishbal he could never forget that made Ed laugh.
 
I later found out from Al that the day the transmutation occurred Mustang was in Resembool and saw the multitude of lights surrounding the house and that Roy was the one who gave them the idea to join the military.
 
Then Hughes asked me to tell the reason I had to joining the military. In the beginning or the prologue I didn't say why I decided to join the military. Xenotime used to be a prosperous town. It was always full of money because of a gold mine in the mountain on the outside of town. However the Gold mine we found wasn't a good one. The mine only lasted about four years before it ran dry. After that our economy steadily declined and we became one of the poorest towns in all of Amtress, and many of the towns people are falling ill with a mysterious illness that is slowly turning into a huge epidemic in Xenotime with a new case developing each day. I decided to become a state alchemist and with the money I earn I can hire a scientist to help find the solution to the illness and cure it completely.
 
Of course, Edward thought my story was a harsh one but I didn't lie at all when I told it. Now Ed's story about Mom and the human transmutation and how Al got trapped in the armor is a harsh story. Plus the story on how Ed now as to deal with automail for the rest of his life unless of course the philosopher's stone is real and the boys can fix their bodies.
 
Not that much later Hughes announced that dinner was read so we all filed into the dinning room and sat at the table while Gracia put the food out and everyone (except Al of course) got what they wanted and we had a nice feast. I helped Nina out too by taking her vegetables. Okay I love corn so I wanted Nina's since she didn't want them. I tried to take Ed's too since his was on a cob but since I was sitting next to him he slapped my hand and gave everyone a good laugh.
 
Then Gracia brought out a birthday cake that had a whole bunch of strawberries on it and in blue and red icing were the words `Happy Birthday Ed and Elle' on it.
 
“I sure hope you kids like strawberries.” Gracia replied.
 
“Oh heck yeah!” I said, “They're my favorite!” I replied with a huge smile.
 
“Hmm. Do we light up the candles twice and let Ed go first then Elle?” Hughes asked.
 
“We can share.” Ed and I said.
 
“Alright that was weird.” Al replied in an awkward voice.
 
“Not really Alphonse, they're twins. Twins are known to be in a similar brain frequency so they know what the other is thinking.” Hughes said.
 
“To bad Mustang isn't around. With his alchemy Hughes wouldn't need to use a lighter.” Ed laughed.
 
“Edward behave.” Al and I added.
 
“Alright now that I'll call awkward.” I said laughing.
 
“Okay kids let me know when you have your wish.” Hughes said and after a minute we had our wishes and we nodded. “Alright when I get to three blow out the candles okay? 1…2…3!”
 
Edward and I took a huge breath and we blew out the candles. I know that my wish came true so I'll tell you what it is. I wished that I could become a state alchemist to save my town. (Yeah you saw that coming right?)
 
While we were all eating cake Gracia went to get some tea and when she came back well…hell broke loose to say the least.
 
“Who wants birthday tea?” Gracia asked.
 
“That would be great.” Hughes said as Gracia collapsed. Ed, Al, Nina and I rose from our seats while Hughes ran to his wife's side.
 
“Honey what's wrong?” Hughes asked.
 
“It's here.”
 
“The tea?”
 
“Come on Hughes use your head.” I thought.
 
“The baby!!!”
 
“What?!” Ed, Al, Nina and I asked shocked.
 
“The doctor said next week.”
 
“Well the baby just said NOW and I'm pretty sure SHE gets to choose.” Gracia said.
 
“I'll get your bags.” Hughes said.
 
“Wait there's a blizzard outside.” Al said pointing to the window.
 
“Right you can't go out. I'll bring the doctor here. You kids help her!” Hughes said running to the door.
 
“How do we do that?!” Ed called as Hughes slammed the door.
 
“Aw man.” Al sighed.
 
“Well I guess this counts as party games.” Gracia said in pain.
 
“Not the good kind.” I thought as Ed and I got her onto the couch and laid her down gently.
 
“So Elle, what do we do?”
 
“How the hell should I know!? I'm not old enough to worry how to deliver babies or anything like that. I just know HOW they're created for God sake.” I said. “Mrs. Hughes please tell us you know what to do.” I begged.
 
“Well I suppose we'll need a lot of fresh towels and hot water.” She said. “There's a huge basin and towels in the bathroom closet.”
 
“Ed help me out with the basin and Nina can you carry the towels?”
 
“What about me?” Al asked.
 
“Al I know it's a lot to ask of you but I saw the bathroom earlier and I know your armor won't fit. Can you help Mrs. Hughes if she needs anything and call us if something happens like she gets really close to birth? She'll tell you trust me.” Elle said.
 
“I thought you said you didn't see a birth before.” Edward said.
 
“I didn't. I needed surgery one day and while I was in the recovery room someone went into labor and was just about ready when they moved me out. Trust me I was close to witnessing one.” I replied. “Come on.” I said and we ran to the bathroom and raided the closet and found the basin and towels.
 
I handed the towels to Nina who rushed to Mrs. Hughes as fast as her little feet could carry her while Ed and I tried to figure out how to get hot water into the huge basin without taking up to much time.
 
“Should we heat water on the stove Ed?” I asked.
 
“That'll take to much time!” Ed shouted at me and I took a step backwards and regained myself.
 
“Calm down Ed.” I said gently. “What about Alchemy? We can fill the basin and draw a transmutation circle to heat the water with.”
 
“That's not a bad idea sis!” Edward said as he put the basin into the huge bathtub and turned on the hot water all the way up and it filled the tub. “Hmm…don't need alchemy I guess.” Ed said because we could see steam from the basin.
 
We filled the huge basin and we carefully carried the water to the living room.
 
“We got the hot water bowl!” We called.
 
“Thanks kids. Put it on the floor next to me.” Gracia said. “Al, can you get a spare washcloth from the kitchen?”
 
“Sure. I'm just glad your pain has passed.” Al said getting ready to leave as another contraction occurred and Gracia moaned and once the pain died down she closed her eyes to rest for a minute but we being kids though she had died, even me and I was close to seeing a birth.
 
“What do we do now!?” Al called running back and forth and Nina was crying. I was trying to calm Nina down while Ed tried to assure everyone, including me, she wasn't dead.
 
“Look, she's not dead just sleeping!” Ed said running back and forth from Al to Nina and me while trying to keep an eye on Gracia as well and she moaned softly. “See!”
 
“Please stop yelling.” Gracia shouted in pain and I knew full well she wanted to curse so badly due to the pain but refrained herself.
 
“Damn it!” Edward said clapping his hands together. “Alchemy can help almost anything. Why can't it help in child birth?”
 
“Little big brother?” Nina said sadly. “The water's very cold.” Nina added.
 
Edward walked over to the basin and the moment he touched it sparks flew from his hands to the basin and heated the water.
 
“Whoa.” I said amused.
 
“Brother, what did you do?” Al asked.
 
“I have no idea.” Edward gasped.
 
“Alchemy! How'd you do alchemy without a circle?”
 
“I don't know I just used my head.”
 
“For once.” I muttered then of course Hell round three.
 
“Ow I can feel its head now!” Gracia said.
 
We all screamed again (yeah I bet your out there laughing your ass off) and we backed into a corner.
 
“She can feel it's head what's that mean?” Ed asked.
 
“She's actually giving birth now I think!” I said.
 
“Deliver it Ed!” Al called.
 
“I'm not touching Baby stuff!”
 
“Oh shove it Ed you're the only one with gloves. The rest of us can hurt Gracia and the baby rather than help it!” I said.
 
Ed slowly agreed and Ed and I helped Gracia give birth. Ed did the actual birth and I coached Gracia through it like a nurse or Hughes would've. Once the baby was out Al had a towel and we carefully wrapped the baby in a towel and handed Gracia's beautiful little girl to her. And as soon as we did the doctor and Hughes came through the door.
 
“Of course AFTER we run around like chickens with their heads cut off the doctor and husband/father show up.” Edward said.
 
“Well thanks to you kids we have a new edition to the party.” Gracia said. “Little Elysia.” Gracia asked.
 
“Happy birthday Elysia!” Nina said.
 
“Come on guys, let's let the Hughes' and the doctor check on their daughter.” I smirked and we all headed out and went into the guest room since we couldn't walk home and we all gathered on the floor and Ed pulled off his gloves.
 
“I so don't want those anymore.” Ed said and I laughed.
 
“Just wash them.” I said and we all laid back.
 
“Oh man. Mothers are amazing.” Edward said. “Gracia did something Alchemists can't do no matter how much we try with alchemy alone.”
 
“Our mom did it too…three…times.” Al said sounding as if he was crying. Ed and I sat up from our spots and looked at Al.
 
“Al…you okay?” Ed asked.
 
“I miss mom.” Al said fully crying.
 
“You're lucky Al.” I said. “You and Ed knew Mom. I just have a picture of her and my step mother.”
 
“Bet she still loves you though.” Edward replied. “Hey Nina, what about your mother?”
 
“Edward!” I whispered trying to calm Al down who was still crying.
 
“Mom said daddy was a good for nothing alchemist so she went to live with her parents.” Nina said as Hughes came in.
 
“Hughes! How's Gracia and Elysia?” Ed asked.
 
“She's asleep. I called Tucker to let him know you four will be staying here tonight. It's to dangerous to bring you home. I have a few air mattresses you can blow up and decide who will sleep well. I also wanted to thank you for helping Gracia deliver my daughter. You kids did a good job the doctor said. You four could work in a hospital no problem.” Hughes said and he left the room to get the air mattresses.
 
“Well Al and Ed need the beds because of their automail or armor so Nina, you and me have the air mattresses.” I said.
 
Five minutes later Hughes came in carrying a vacuum and two air mattresses that Ed I blew up. Well Ed cheated and used alchemy with his new found powers.
 
After wards, we all climbed into our beds and Ed came over and whispered into my ear.
 
“Will you be alright with out your animal Elle?” He asked.
 
“I'm not alone so I should be.” I replied.
 
“If you need anything let me know okay.”
 
“Okay.” I added and he headed back to his bed and we all fell asleep.