Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Lunar Alchemist ❯ The Second day ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter three
The Second Day of the Exam
 
Day two of E-day as my brothers decided to call the exam dates was finally here. Today would be the second day of the State Alchemy exam but today wasn't really an official testing day like the stupid and tedious written exam that seemed impossible to get a hundred percent on. The exam was really only an interview and a physical to see if you're fit mentally and physically to be in the military. Which was a danger zone.
 
I started to get worried and wanted to talk to Edward and Alphonse about the details of the exam or at least the physical part of it.
 
“Edward, Alphonse can I come in?” I asked entering the room half way from behind the closed the door.
 
“Sure Sis, come on in.” Alphonse said and I came I all the way and sat on the rug tucker just put in their room. “Is everything okay?” Alphonse asked.
 
“Well not really. I'm worried.” I said.
 
“About the exam?” Edward asked coming to sit next to my as he was working on his writing skills again. “Don't worry Elle. You'll do fine.” Edward said putting his flesh arm on my shoulder.
 
“No!” I said removing Ed's hand. “I'm not worried about me. I'm worried about you and more particularly Alphonse!”
 
“Me?” Al asked pointing to himself. “Why me Elle?”
 
“Hello! Do you now what happens today at the exam Al?” I asked.
 
“An interview since there's so many people that's all their doing.” Ed replied.
 
“No, an interview and a physical. How can Al get a physical, there's nothing to check?!” I shouted. “No offense Al.” I said
 
“None taken.” Al replied.
 
“Al…if you don't want to be caught and undergo hard core experimentation…drop out.” I said remember the nightmare I had the night before and it was not fun. I also started to flip out once the pictures and sounds started to rush into my head.
 
“Elle, what's wrong?” Ed asked remembering my `condition'. “Elle, did something happen last night?”
 
“I…I had a huge nightmare last night. Al was in the middle of lab five undergoing experimentation and begging for his life to be let go and all of a sudden I'm over in central headquarters where the exam is being taken while…I can't…I can't.” I said fully crying and feeling stupid for fully breaking down in front of my brothers.
 
“It's alright Elle. Go ahead Al and I are here.” Ed said embracing me and rubbing my back while Al put on of his metal hands on my shoulder and gently clutched it. I took a deep breath before allowing myself to continue.
 
“I was the headquarters, watching you getting killed by a huge firing squad.” I said “All because Al went in, got examined and the doctor found out Al was a spirit and the state arrested you and charged you with committing human transmutation.”
 
“Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Ed said gently. “Elle, that won't happen I promise.”
 
“Bull! I suppose that man Hughes knows the truth about Al or someone knows but the exam is handled by higher ups. Higher ups like generals and the Fuhrer himself. If they find out you're screwed.” I added as a knock came through the door.
“Who is it?” Al called.
 
“Me.” Tucker said. “Is everything alright?” He asked.
 
“Yes Mr. Tucker.” Alphonse said. “Just family meeting.” Alphonse added.
 
“Thank you.” Tucker replied. “By the way, breakfast is ready and then you should head to your exam.” Tucker added.
 
“We'll be done in a few minutes.” Alphonse called and tucker left and headed downstairs.
 
“Are you okay?” Edward asked gently.
 
“I suppose.” I added yawning. “Dang, I barely got any sleep last night. I guess it's a good thing that today is just an interview and a physical.”
 
“Come on, some breakfast and some coffee might do you some good.” Alphonse added.
 
Alphonse led me downstairs and to the dinning room where Tucker had made pancakes and had fresh strawberries, blueberries, a tub of whip cream, syrup, and a few other toppings to put on the pancakes.
 
We all sat at the table where Nina just finished her breakfast and left to play with Alexander who for some reason hates me. Every time I'd go to pet him he'd would growl and attempt to bite me. I don't know why he doesn't that because he likes Edward and Alphonse.
 
After we ate breakfast we were on our way to Headquarters and while we were waiting to be called a man hiding in the shadows called out to Edward and Alphonse and they went over and I followed just incase.
 
The man had a military uniform just like Hughes did and had a build similar to Ed's but his was more defined with age and he was much taller than Edward was. He also had onyx colored eyes that held the pain of a soldier and knew right then that he was probably in the Ishbal Rebellion
Xenotime has a lot of veterans from the war in Ishbal. That war was said to be the worst war in history. It was an accidental war though; one day a military man had accidentally shot an Ishbalian child when they were trying to end a riot. Once that child was shot that riot turned into a full-scale war that killed many on both sides. I don't know what ended the war exactly because the veterans don't want me to know.
 
Anyways, the man who called Edward and Alphonse over looked at me curiously and seemed like he would refuse to start speaking until I left. But then Edward stepped in just as I started to step away.
 
“Chill out Mustang. This is my twin sister Elle.” Edward said. “Whatever you have to say you can say it in front of her, she knows our secret.”
 
“That's what I wanted to talk to you about.” Mustang said. “If you boys want to continue to go on without revealing your past then Al needs to drop out.”
 
“Thank goodness I'm not the only one.” I thought with a smirk.
 
“No way.” Alphonse said and my smirk disappeared.
 
“But Alphonse.” I attempted but Alphonse cut me off.
 
“I refuse to be separated from my brother. I'll take the risks.” Alphonse said.
 
“Al, you want to be experimented on!?” I asked shocked.
 
“No, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.” Alphonse said.
 
“S…Screw you Alphonse!” I said quickly running away from the alley and just ran before Edward, Alphonse, or this Mustang guy could catch me and thankfully I was called for my physical so Edward and Alphonse couldn't get me for a while yet.
 
The physical lasted about half hour to forty-five minutes and since I didn't need to be back until two thirty to wait for the interview I decided to leave the grounds and I found the local library.
 
I wanted to go there to read some books but I decided to write own some ideas I had for my novel I was writing called The Kingdom of Paleon and stuck my twin brother, Alphonse, and my best friend back home named Elisa and let them join the team I already created with an elven princess named Kayland, her fiancé' Bryian (that's the elven spelling of the name Bryan) Kayland's pet dragon Sparkle, and would now include Edward, Alphonse and Elisa but I don't know how to include them yet so I decided to let it be for a while.
 
I sat and worked on the story until twelve thirty when my stomach started to growl and I headed to a café down the street and get a little bit to eat before heading back to the headquarters for the interview.
 
When I got there I just sat around for a while and I surprisingly avoided my brothers and after about an hour in the cold in my thin jacket I was finally called into the room and I walked in glad for the heat the room provided.
 
“Are you Elle Elizabeth Elric?” A man asked.
 
“Yes sir.” I said.
 
There was a total of about four men in the room and I saw the man who talked to Edward and Alphonse earlier was there and another man had a pissed off look and I thought he would bite my head off the moment I said something. He was bald and had a moustache that went sideways (like the French style of moustaches) and wore the military uniform.
 
Another had black hair but kept his visible eye closed and his left eye had a patch that wrapped around his head. He always wore a smile which creped me out and he too had a moustache but his was a normal looking one so it wasn't that bad.
 
The fourth and final man wasn't part of the panel that was going to question and judge me but he was only there to write down the conversations that we were going to have so that the three men questioning me can use it to decided whether or not I was a likely candidate to be in the military once the final grades were tallied.
 
“My name is Fuhrer King Bradley and this is General Basque Gran, the Iron Blood Alchemist, and Colonel Roy Mustang, the Flame Alchemist.”
 
“Pleased to meet you sirs.” I said saluting properly and then a light came on in the middle of the room and showed a three-legged chair in the middle of a transmutation circle. “That circle keeps the chair balanced doesn't it?”
 
“Sort of.” Bradley said. “Now please take a seat if you are a true alchemist it will not tip over.”
 
I walked over to the chair and was surprised that it didn't tip over
 
“Very good.” Bradley said. “Now this is a little personal but you are related to Edward Simon Elric right?”
 
“Yes sir. He's my older twin brother. We were separated at a young age and met again on the first day of the exam.” I replied. “My father left my mother and brothers and later abandoned me in Xenotime.” I added shivering.
 
“Are you alright?” Mustang asked.
 
“Yeah, I'm just cold.” I said raping my coat closer to me.
 
“Right, uh…anyways to the matter on hand Miss Elric. So is your reason for joining the military the same as your older brothers?” Gran asked.
 
“No sir, mine is completely different.”
 
“Go on, tell us your reason.” Gran said.
 
“Well, I'm from Xenotime, and a lot of the towns people are ill. The illness is slowly turning into an epidemic and is unknown but I've decided that I would join the military and use most of the money I earn to pay a scientist to try and come up with a cure since it doesn't seem to be alchemical to me.” I said.
 
“Can you fight hand to hand?” Bradley asked.
 
“Barely. I'm better at using weapons like swords or something like that.”
 
“Do you have a weakness in your transmutations?” Roy asked.
 
“Um…yeah. On nights on the new moon I can't use alchemy at all. When I first dabbled into alchemy my best friend and discovered that the strength of my alchemy depends on the cycle of the moon. Luckily for me and for you the day you set the final testing day is a full moon or close to the full moon so my powers will be at their best.”
 
“Elle, did you have an alchemy teacher?” Roy asked me as he passed Bradley a document.
 
“No, why Colonel?”
 
“Where did you get your knowledge? Books?” Gran asked.
 
“No sir.” I said. “I haven't had any type of training. Alchemy just comes naturally to me for some reason.” I said.
 
“Do you know about other various types of alchemy?” Gran asked.
 
“I've heard about the Grand Arcanum before.” I replied. “I know that it's an ancient type of alchemy that was used in an ancient city about 5,000 years ago.”
 
“Impressive. Do you know the name of that city?” Gran asked.
 
“No sir.” I said. “Why are you asking me questions like this?”
 
“Your exam was nearly perfect.” Mustang said.
 
“Wait what? I…I just guessed on a lot of it. It was mostly common sense.” I said and Gran slammed his hands on to the desk.
 
“Alchemy is not common sense!” Gran shouted.
 
“General Gran!” Bradley said and Gran sat down.
 
“Can you tell me the three steps when conducting alchemy?”
 
“Sure, analyze, deconstruction, and reconstruction.” I said.
 
“She's obviously lying!” Gran shouted and rose to his feet again. “It's obvious she's had a teacher or read alchemy books. Unless she's done something forbidden.”
 
“Maybe that's why Dad took me away. Maybe something happened to me when I was little. It'll actually make a little sense.” I mumbled.
 
“Excuse me?” Mustang asked.
 
“Shortly after my younger brother was born my father took me and left my family he later dumped me in Xenotime never to return. Something could've happened back when I was living with them.
 
“Your father would be Hohenhime of Light right?”
 
“Yes sir. At least that's what Mom told me. She's the only one who ever met my father. That's why he decided to leave me with her.”
 
“Your Mother is your adopted mother right?”
 
“Yes sir. He left and never came back so she adopted me.”
 
“Hohenhime is well known in the military you know. He is known as the greatest alchemist of all time.”
 
“That'll explain Ed's ability to put Al's soul in the armor.” I thought. “Even though we're twins we're not identical so it's possible he got Dad's alchemical strength.” I added to my thoughts.
 
“That's right.” Mustang continued and snapped me out of my thoughts. “He is said to be a valuable asset to the military if another war broke out.”
 
“I don't know the whereabouts of my father so I can't help you out. But did my father fight in the war in Ishbal?”
“Not according to our records.” Gran said.
 
“Well I can't help you. As I've said earlier I haven't seen my father since he left Xenotime.” I added. “If he happens to show up while I'm gone Mom's going to keep him in Xenotime until I can get back there to kick his butt for making me leave mom and my brothers.”
 
“We understand Miss Elric.” Bradley replied.
 
“Have you had your physical yet?” Mustang asked.
 
“Yes sir.”
 
“You may return home for the day. The final testing day will be tomorrow starting at 11:30 am.” Bradley added.
 
“Thank you sir.” I added bowing and I got off the chair carefully.
 
“Oh, and Miss Elric?” Mustang asked and I turned around.
 
“Yes Colonel Mustang?”
 
“Unless you want to catch a cold, pneumonia, or worst I suggest you find yourself a better jacket. Maybe your brother has one you can borrow.”
 
“Maybe.” I said heading out.
 
It wasn't all that late so I decided to head to a coffee shop I saw earlier and I got a huge cup of hot chocolate and decided to head back to the library to work on my novel for a little while and I was so lost in my story that I didn't keep track of the time. When I got the idea of how late it was it was when someone was shaking my shoulder.
 
“Miss, I'm afraid it's closing time.” The woman who shook my shoulder said.
 
“Closing time.” I asked. “What time is it?”
 
“Almost ten thirty.”
 
“Crap I'm dead!” I shouted gathering my stuff rather quickly and I had to run home in the rain with my notebook tucked tight underneath my arm inside of my coat
 
When I arrived at Tucker's mansion every single light was on in the house and I knew I was in trouble with both Tucker and Edward.
 
I knew I'd have to face the music sooner or later so I just walked in the front door of the mansion and took of my shoes and Alexander was there growling at me.
 
“Big sister you're home!” Nina said happily coming from around the corner. “Big brothers and I were worried about you.”
 
“I'm sorry Nina. I went to the library after I was done with my exam and I lost track of time.” I said.
 
“You're soaked.” Nina pointed out and I was tempted to give a `no crap Sherlock' remark but held it back seeing as she's only four year old or so. “I'll ask Daddy to make you some tea.”
 
“Thanks Nina.” I said heading to my room to get out of my wet clothes and I changed into my pajamas. “I wonder where my brother's are. Oh I bet they're in their room.” I thought and I decided to head towards their room. To find it empty so I headed to the kitchen where Tucker was making me tea like Nina asked.
 
“Where have you been?” Tucker asked.
 
“The library. I'm a novelist and after the exam I headed to the library for a little while but it turned to be hours. I'm very sorry Mr. Tucker.” I said. “Do you know where my Brothers are?”
 
“They know they couldn't go in the rain to look for you so they're in the library trying to take their minds off you being missing. If you wanted to go to a library you could've stayed in the one here.”
 
“I had a fight with Alphonse and just wanted to be away from him. I always head to the local library if I'm in a fight even in Xenotime.” I explained.
 
“Take your tea and go talk to him. Then I want you kids to head to bed. It's getting late.” Tucker said.
 
“Yes sir.” I said taking the tea he handed me and I headed towards the library and I knocked on the door.
 
“What is it Nina?” Edward asked.
 
“It's me.” I said
 
“Elle!” Alphonse called opening the door and picked me up causing me to spill the tea I had in my hands all over the front of my shirt.
 
“OW! Alphonse!” I shouted.
 
“I'm sorry!” Al cried. “Let me take care of that.”
 
“No! I'll do it.” I said growling
 
I had a necklace that I kept hidden underneath my shirt that has a transmutation circle on it so all I had to do was clap and my alchemy would work just like Edward's ability to use alchemy without a circle. But obviously with a transmutation circle.
 
All I have to do is clap my hands like Edward and the circle on my necklace would activate according to my will. I know Edward and Alphonse have never seen me use alchemy yet so I'm sure they'd be shocked.
 
So I clapped my hands and when I did the circle activated and I touched my shirt and dried my clothes as well as get rid of any stains the tea might've or had left.
 
“You can use alchemy without a circle!?” Edward and Alphonse asked shocked.
 
“No.”
 
“Then how?” Al asked and I took out the necklace.
 
“Here's my transmutation circle.” I said coldly.
 
“Big sister, can we talk?” Alphonse asked.
 
“If you mean about what happened at the test then no, we can not. It's said and done with now.” I said. “I just came to let Ed know I'm not dead in an alley somewhere.” I added leaving the room headed to mine and locked the door and decided enough was enough. I decided to use the little money I earned in Xenotime to get a hotel or go with my original plan to camp out somewhere despite the cold.
 
I wrote a note to Tucker thanking him for putting me up for a few days and telling Edward that it was great meeting him again and that if he need me to call on me by writing a letter to me in Xenotime and I left the house address on it.
 
It was snowing as hard as it was the day Elysia was born so I realized that I couldn't leave that night without losing my life so I settled for staying at Tucker's for one more night and I would leave early in the morning to hear the results of the exam.
 
I sat my stuff down and walked over to the desk and pulled out a notebook that I used as a journal similar to this one and started to vent about what happened between Alphonse and me. I also wrote about what I learned at the exam about my real father, and my apparent knowledge about alchemy. The only light I had was a candle that I lit using alchemy since I didn't have a lighter or matches so that way I could pretend to be asleep if someone tried to talk to me and I also locked the door.
 
When I finished writing in the journal it was twelve thirty so I blew out the candle and headed to bed.
 
The next morning I made sure I woke up early to go and book a hotel room and then got breakfast in the kitchen and waited around in the hotel room until it came close for the exam to start. I headed over and was put in the first group since I was part of the early arrivers and also I assumed that they wanted to make it easier on the alchemists, and to give us more room to transmute so they kept the groups small.
 
When I got to the field I saw a couple of trees, a huge mountain, a lake, and a few other various items you would find in the wilderness we could use to make something that would ultimately impress Gran, Bradley, and Mustang.
 
“Good morning everyone.” Bradley said with the same creepy smile. “Today we will put your alchemy skills to the test. By using the items around the testing grounds you will attempt to make something that would blow us off our feet.”
 
I looked around for a minute at the items we were given to try and think of something extraordinary and then I remembered a transmutation I did a long time ago. The transmutation was probably the best the transmutation I've ever done in my entire life.
 
One day, when it was a full moon, I managed to turn some destroyed house roofs that got ripped off the houses due to a huge tornado like sandstorm and created various cranes by mixing some metal pipes and shockingly to me the cranes were fully operational and cut the clean up process as well as the reconstruction process of our time down dramatically.
 
The storm however was years ago, I was probably either seven or eight years old at the time and if that was the case I was using alchemy for only a year or two prior to the storm my friend Elisa wasn't even born yet or was just born since I'm four years older than her.
 
Anyways, I wondered if I could pull off the transmuation again, and after about three minutes of debating I decided that that would be the transmuation that would ultimitly break me or make me. It would be modified a little bit since I didn't have any metal to work with and I didn't know how to create metal out of wood, water, and earth so I thought I could at least make the body of it and make it a wooden crane instead of a metal crane like the one I made in Xenotime.
 
All the other alchemists decided to go before me and one managed to create a metal pillar which would help me out a lot. The Fuhrer said we could use whatever the other alchemists created since the supplies were limited.
 
My turn finally arrived. I dragged some trees over to the metal pillar and took a deep breath. I clapped my hands and one hand touched the pillar and the other touched the trees and after a minute the trees, metal pillar and I were engulfed in a bright light stood proudly was a crane after the light died down.
 
“Impressive.” Bradley said.
 
“She's definitely Hohenhime of Light's child.” Mustang said. “I'm excited to see what her brother comes up with.” Mustang added.
 
“Thank you everyone. We will you call for you in a couple of days to hear the results of the exam.” Gran said.
 
“Oh crap.” I said.
 
The previous night while I was waiting for sleep to come to me I was thinking if I should really stay in central in the hotel because if I did wait in the hotel I wouldn't be able to return to Xenotime for a while because my money would be out and I wanted to go to Xenotime to make sure Mom and Dad were okay before I became a state alchemist if I did. (even though I would.) I rushed over to General Gran before they turned around to leave.
 
“General Gran sir.” I said going up to the men. “I'm taking an unexpected trip to my hometown for a few days to see my mother and father in Xenotime. I don't know if I'll return before you make the final announcement so if you don't I would like you guys to know where I am so you don't go out of your way.” I added handing them our family business card and Mustang took it.
 
From there I headed to the hotel where I stayed for the rest of the day and night until tommrow when I'd head to Xenotime.