Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Weight Of The World ❯ This Story Starts With A death ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Weight Of the World
 
This Story Starts With A Death
 
 
“Roy Mustang?”
 
Roy turned around at the sound of his name, gazing across the room of sodden black mourners searching for his caller. It was an elderly man, Roy would guess in his sixties or so, he made his presence known by offering a wrinkly hand aged with liver spots.
 
“My name is William Hara, I know this is a hard time, what the day of the funeral, but there is a matter of urgency I need to speak with you about.” William glanced around the room, his eyes falling on the small blonde girl sitting lifelessly on the plush couch; Riza was holding her hand and stroking Elisia's hair. “Uh, would you mind talking in privet?”
 
Roy nodded, “Yes, that will be fine; the office is just over here.” It was weird being at Maes's house with out him pressuring him about proposals to unsuspecting women Roy dated. His favorite of those women was Riza. She had been the only one he had been dating as late and Hughes was getting excited.
 
`Your going to make a friend for my little girl aren't you? Maybe Gracias second child will be a little boy who can date your daughter' he had joked about that often while rubbing his wife's pregnant belly.
 
The walk down memory lane was cut short when Mr. Hara closed the door, clearing his throat Roy sat in a chair next to a large wood desk, “So what is this about? The Hughes estate I assume? Considering Elisia is the only one remaining in the family and she is too young to be in charge of such a sum.”
Mr. Hara continued to stand; he set a brief case on the polished wood and opened it, “Yes and no. The family estate is left to Elisia yes, but the matter of who Elisia will be staying with is still up in the air. Hughes original hope was to leave her to you.”
Roy sat in stunned silence, watching as the old man continued to shuffle papers around, “Me?” Of course it only made sense, she had no other family and Roy was like an uncle to her. This was too much to handle, the death of the two people who meant more to him than anything in the world, including Riza, the death of the unborn child, and Elisia all alone.
 
“Will you take her?” the shuffling stopped and Roy looked to see his face suddenly grow older with worry. “If you can't I understand, we can arrange a home for her but it will take some time, she'll have to go to a foster home-“
 
“That won't be necessary.” Roy stood instantly, straitening his coat jacket and taking on an intimidating air of command. “She'll come home with me.” No other words were exchanged as he stepped out of the small room. His steps thudded on the hard wood floors of the Hughes House, stopping only as he got to the couch. “Come on Elisia.” He said quietly, he crouched down and retrieved her from the couch, “You can come with me.”
 
In a matter of seconds Riza was at his side, her coat was in her arm, she walked silently behind him knowing that now was not the time to say a word. She was following him out the door when he turned, stopping her in mid step.
 
“Riza, I think it would be best if you didn't come over tonight. This will be new to Elisia, and I think it's all ready enough of a shock as it is.”
 
She nodded in silent understanding; he pulled out the military issued hat and turned to leave, stopping when Riza lightly grabbed his shoulder. “Will you call me when you're ready?”
 
Roy couldn't answer her, so he offered a tight lipped smile, he was going to see Elisia smile once more, and that was what he was meant for on this world and he knew there was nothing else.
 
Stepping out on to the pavement Roy looked the bright clear skies above, he took his hand to wipe away the water rolling down his cheeks and into Elisia's hair “I hate it when it rains.”