Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Weight Of The World ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Weight of the World
 
Chapter Three
 
Bye: Me
 
Owned by: Not me
 
 
 
“Aha!” Shouted Mildred as she discovered the paper she was looking for.
 
It was late and she was certain she was the only one left inside of the central headquarters. Mildred would never be confused for someone that had a life and many friends. She had always been the one who stayed at home and did her homework, read her books, practiced with her gun and her alchemy. She had only ever had one or two serious boyfriends but it never bothered her, everything always fell into place for her.
 
“Is someone in here?”
 
Kimblee opened the door to Mildred's office and smiled at the woman sitting in a pile of papers that would look like a mess to anyone else but to her they were organized in a way that she could find anything at a moments notice.
 
“Yes.” She said as she looked up, pushing her glasses back up the bridge of her nose. “The question is what are you doing here? I thought it was impossible to get you to do work.”
 
“Now, now.” He walked in stepping around her piles of paper and pulling her into the air. “I work very hard.”
 
He grabbed her glasses off of her face and set them down. Kimblee had never liked the way they looked on her but she did so much clerical work she needed it for the reading.
 
Out on the field she was a deadly woman, the first time he had seen her was in Ishbal when her leader was killed before her and her other subordinates. She was the only one not losing her head and lead them across the battle field to complete the mission.
 
She fought in a much more civilized manner then Kimblee would have, but hey not everyone is perfect. After all, he lied to her daily and told her he was monogamous and because Mildred was one of those trusting people she never questioned him when he said he was doing something and was lying.
 
Mildred was a beautiful woman that was for certain, and she was a little tiger behind the doors that wasn't the problem. No he just wasn't a one woman man and the only reason he made a public relationship with Mildred was because he needed to be grounded with a woman who was well viewed in the public eye. She would appear to keep him on a short leash and his fellow comrades wouldn't distrust him quite as much.
 
“I can see that.” She said as she smoothed down the back of his hair where it was rumpled from falling asleep in his chair. “You want to see something I found out!”
 
Mildred reached back and put her glasses back on excitedly while leaning towards the paper she had found tucked away in some non descript pile. “You won't believe what Roy has hidden away in this rat hole.”
 
Looked like Kimblee would be getting something better than nookie that night, “What is it?” he asked as he followed her across the room. She had taken lost the jacket to her uniform and was wearing an undershirt and her tight skirt. Her red hair that had been pinned up tight earlier that day was now hanging over her shoulders.
 
“It's a huge expense account that one of the generals has been using for vacation instead of actual work things.” Mildred sounded cheery and Kimblee thought he was going to groan. He didn't care about this stuff, he liked the good stuff.
 
“You know what that means don't you?”
 
“No idea.”
 
“I get to write them up.” She sang happily.
 
“You like that don't you?”
 
“More than you will ever know.” Mildred set the paper work down and pulled off her glasses, “Ok come here, I won't bother you with any of this any more.”
 
Kimblee growls playfully, “You come here.”
 
(())
 
Banner sat up as quietly as possible, her arm was aching something horrible where her joint and automail met.
 
“It's going to rain.” She whispered to herself. Rain was never good her limbs ached and her metal foot would sink in the mud.
 
“I feel it too.” Edward said as he rubbed his joint.
“I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were awake.” Banner pulled her knees to her chest. The fire had burnt out hours ago and the cold of the night was starting to creep in, with her fleshy hand she tucked some stray black hairs behind her ear.
 
Edward didn't feel the need to hide his angry feelings toward her. “To be honest I had no idea if I could trust you here.”
 
Banner's expression didn't change; she still had that same vague smile and dark green eyes. “What can I do to quell your fears?”
 
“For starters you can answer a few questions. What were you doing the night the priest was murdered?”
 
“And we are back to that.” She leaned back on her duffle bag and straightened her long muscular limbs. “The night he was murdered I ate dinner with the ladies of the church, this was followed by scripture reading, then I did my hour of service to the lord by watching the sacrament while others slept then I finished up the evening by reading a book.”
 
“And that is everything. Not too eventful and there was quite a bit of alone time.”
 
Banner sighed, “When the ladies are intending to save your soul after you've done less that appropriate things you have to spend a lot of time alone with god.”
 
“And what did you do that was so terrible.”
 
“I have a thing for men.” She said a mischievous look in her eye. “I most enjoy the things you should only do when sanctified by marriage.”
 
Edward felt as his cheeks go bright red, and from the sudden stiffness expressed by Alphonse's metal body he could imagine his younger brother's fleshy cheeks going bright red as well.
 
“Would you like to know more? Let us see.” She put a silver finger to her lips. “I am happy to get out of there with not feelings of guilt. In fact I'm happy the bastard is dead, there were many of us who knew what he was doing but no one would do anything because we couldn't. I don't know if you noticed but that is a small town and the churches in small towns hold most of the power.”

Edward noticed but he still wasn't quite buying everything this girl was saying. “The murder seems to be done by someone he knew.”
 
“He knew everyone in the town.” She countered. “If I were you I would find some evidence that wasn't purely circumstantial before accusing people of crimes.”
 
With nothing further to say Banner rolled over on to her other side and laid her head back on to her bulky duffle bag and started into the woods on the other side.
 
A large stick went flying through the air and pegged Edward in the head leaving a large welt behind.
 
“WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR!” Edward looked over to his brother and the only response he got was Al rubbing his finger in a shaming motion.
 
(())
 
Roy had just put Elicia to bed and was sitting down in his most comfy chair with a glass full of scotch in his ready hand. The news he had gotten out of that small envelope that day was enough to sober him so thoroughly that he wasn't certain the bottle of liquor he had purchased on the way home would do nothing to give him a warm buzzed feeling.
 
Hughes hadn't been in a car accident; well it wasn't an accident at least. No Hughes and his wife had been run into on purpose.
 
With this new information the wheels in Roy's head started churning; he needed to get back on to the path of advancement that he had been planning on for years.
 
Roy then pulled his chess set in front of him to help give a visual of what he was up against. Now in the past two years he hadn't done much of anything to get him attention in a good or bad way. His closest subordinates were still by his side so that was good.
 
He put his king on his side and surrounded it with pawns. “But I have no clout with the other generals any longer. The biggest name on his side was an old Looney in the east.”
 
Another sigh burst through his lips as he took out the queen and set it aside. With Elicia here he was much less mobile when it came to ways he could attack. He couldn't afford to worry about her well being.
 
From the opposite team he put their queen directly in front of him. This Brigadier General could be a big problem. She was sent her to do evaluations was she planning to break apart his pawns leaving him open to attack.
 
“Ok Roy old boy, goal for tomorrow, stalk Mildred.”
 
They needed to know just how involved she was to the whole plan.

(())

Me: Not much happening at the moment, but the next chapter will be better. I'm trying to get everything all set up.