Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Time that is Wasted ❯ Prologue or the Girl in the Brown Dress ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist, hagaren, ect. I wish I did, but I don't…well I do own a pretty box set of the episodes, but that doesn't really count now does it?
 
A/N Hello and welcome, I hope that you like my continuation fanfic of hagaren, or for those who prefer Fullmetal Alchemist. This is a continuation beginning from the end of the series so there will most obviously be spoilers, and this will probably have to be remarked as AU when the movie comes out (I can't wait!) So yeah enjoy and please R & R. The rating is for possible later violence, and swearing. Not really any more then was seen on the show (but I'm not sure what they left in after butchering it for Cartoon Network, but no more then the original.)
 
8888888888888888888888
 
Chapter 1- Army boots and a sensible brown dress…
 
8888888888888888888888
 
 
The sound of heavy doors booming shut echoes…
 
8888888888888888888888
 
 
Sitting at the window staring forlornly at the dirty overcast sky, the 17 year old boy sighed. Looking down at his gloved hand and flexing it thoughtfully with an expression of sadness and loneliness but strangely devoid of regret; he was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice a tall man of what appeared middle age enter and sit quietly on the bed.
 
“So this is where you've been for the last 6 months,” the man asked, the boy's expression remained unchanged as if he had not heard. “Have you given up this easily? You didn't strike me as one to give up on anything, especially something as important as this Ed.” This accusation merely caused the boy to slowly shift and face the man, his face still held the look of loneliness, now tinged with cynicism that could also be heard in his voice, it was not the voice of a teenager, but seemingly of someone who had seen too much and knew more then they wanted to.
 
“What would you know, and why should you care, you think that you know me…but…no one does, at least no one here.” With this the boy returned to his study of the clouds, ever darkening, with flashes of lightening on the horizon. The atmosphere was tense, from the storm, but also from the emotions within the room.
 
“I'm sorry…I'll leave now.” Stated the man before leaving the room, with only a backward glance at his son whose tears could only be seen by the clouds and easily be mistaken for rain that now fell from them.
 
888888888888888888888888888
 
Walking down the cobbled streets of London the next day Ed looked around at his surroundings, marvelling that these very buildings around him were the same buildings that he had seen bombed to the ground only two years before, but in this time, would not be bombed for decades. Seeing the posters upon the walls of the arcades and shop fronts encouraging young men to `join the war effort' Ed simply shook his head.
 
Ever since appearing in this world for the second time and being unable to return he had been searching for a way back, a way home. He knew that this was his punishment, his sacrifice, and one that he didn't regret. Yet even knowing all this, he still searched; but he had hit a wall without alchemy, although he hated to admit it, but he didn't know what to else he could do. He had tried rockets, as his father had said that this world used them to compensate for Alchemy yet to no avail. These people could do wondrous things, and from his short glimpse into what his father told him was the 1940s he saw that there was much more that they could achieve, but how could he use this to get home? Almost all of the research was going into creating bigger and better weapons, a failing that he knew only too well.
 
Lost in his thoughts as he continued down the street he didn't see the girl he stumbled into until she was almost on top of him. “Oi watch it automail!” she shouted at him angrily as she stomped quickly away, “Hey! You were the one who…” Ed trailed off, did she just call me an automail?
 
 
 
8888888888888888888888888
 
 
Continuing her rampage unnoticed as she quickened her pace down the street the young women who had shouted so loudly before, was now berating herself. `What's wrong with you! Why did you call that man an automail? There's no way he is an automail, this is P472 there are no automails here, not to mention that he didn't do anything wrong, just looked like an automail…bumped into you… shouted back…and heard me?' She trailed off, “oh shit!” she shouted to the world in general as she abruptly about faced and stomped back the way she came.
 
A bit shell shocked from his encounter, Ed continued on his way trying to remember why he was walking, and where he was supposed to be going. `She called me an automail…how could she even know what one was?' Ever since he began searching for a way home through this world's mechanics and scientists he had found himself amazed that they could build flying machines and make movies, but not automail, something that although expensive was used extensively in his world.
 
`No I must have misheard her, she can't have said that…I must have imagined it, God I really am going crazy for home, to even want to be insulted in such a familiar way.' Just thinking about his automail brought back painful memories, Winnry yelling at him after breaking his automail, Al taunting him playfully during their sparring matches, even his old title of hagane no renkinjutsushi, no one here called him that. Upon seeing that his leg and arm were made of metal that he could control as if they were his real limbs, people either became frightened or overly excited both reactions made him uncomfortable and so he had decided that it was best if people simply didn't know.
 
The young women, brown dress flapping in her wake hurriedly tried to recall the face of the man that she had so quickly insulted. `Ok, long blonde hair, short, scowling expression…shit! That's not much to go on,' then she was struck by an idea. Grinning she quickened her pace.
 
Finally arriving at the market Ed began to browse, looking at the each store's wares without really seeing anything. Although he had convinced himself that he had misheard the woman's insults he found that he thought he had seen her somewhere before, when he was young, but that was impossible. `Where have I seen her before?' She was nothing out of the ordinary, the only thing strange about her was he choice of footwear, a strange looking but sturdy boot, which didn't really go with the plain sensible brown dress, and long brown hair tied in a neat bun. Her face was pretty, but unremarkable, she was the sort of person who blends into the crowd, unnoticed and ordinary; yet he had the distinct feeling that she was anything but ordinary.
 
Paying for an apple, he began to take a bite when he saw a brown dust cloud rapidly approaching him, seemingly unnoticed by the passers by. Realising that this unnatural phenomenon seemed to be targeting him he panicked, looking for a way to escape, because even though he didn't know how; he got the distinct impression that the cloud was extremely irritated and a force to be reckoned with, but the worst thing was it seemed to be angry at him.
 
8888888888888888888888
 
 
A/N There you have it my first chapter, and also my first attempt to write hagaren. Ok now I know that Ed is acting a bit OOC, and even a bit cowardly but remember that he is kinda depressed (being stuck here and all), he is alone, and he can't use alchemy. Also it has been two years and he has matured somewhat. So yeah I am not sure when the next chapter will be up and it really depends on my muse as well as my slave driver teachers, but hopefully soon. Please R & R thanks for reading. :)