Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Times Never Forgotten ❯ A Special Night ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

After everyone was done eating, it was late evening and Kate and Edward were ready to go home. It was raining and Ed held an umbrella over their heads. “Thanks again, Pinako!” shouted Edward above the pounding rain and the roaring thunder. He opened the car door for Kate and went around and got inside. He started the car and pulled out of the driveway, heading home for the night.
 
When they both got home, Ed opened the door to the house after turning the key. It was an old house, probably around eighty to ninety years of age, if not, older. Ed turned the light switch up, but no light shone out of the bulb. “Power's out,” he mumbled. He was wearing his hair in a braid just like old times. He walked over to Kate, taking her dripping wet jacket and sliding it off her arms, accidentally sliding her sleeve off with it. Kate gasped quietly with an angry glare. Ed smirked nervously. “Oh, heh, sorry bout that,” he said sliding her sleeve back on her shoulder. He grabbed a blanket off the chair and draped it over her shoulders, guiding her to the couch and sitting next to her.
 
Edward took off his shirt and his pants, walking up the stairs in just his light blue boxers to get his black shirt and a candle. Kate stretched out across the tan plush couch, wrapping herself in the green wool blanket. Edward walked back downstairs with his black tube top on and a single lit candle. He walked back into the living room where Kate laid upon the couch. Slowly, he put the candle on the coffee table in front of her. Ed sat on his knees in front of the couch, crossing his arms over the cushion and laying his head on them, staring at Kate with a dreamy smile.
 
Edward yawned. “You about ready for bed?” he asked still smiling.
 
“I'm staying here tonight,” said Kate.
 
“Staying here?” Edward frowned.
 
“I'm not sleeping with you tonight, Ed.”
 
Edward sighed and leaned up to kiss Kate tenderly on the lips. “Okay, whatever you want.”
 
About a half an hour passed and Kate had fallen asleep. She woke up in the middle of the night to find Edward was still there, sleeping soundly in the same position he was in before. Kate smiled and watched as he slept. She put her hand around the back of his head and rubbed it, making him flinch then sigh and smile in his sleep. Kate leaned and gently kissed him on the head. She smiled as she had a flashback.
 
~flashback~
 
Edward: 8; Kate: 71/2
 
“And trace amount of fifteen other elements,” Edward closed his book in frustration, “I thought it would be easier to start with human compositions!”
 
“Oh please, Ed. Alchemy again?” asked Kate rolling her eyes, “You know, there's other things in the world besides science.”
 
“I know that,” Edward said. “Hey uh, Kate?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Wanna stop at the park at the docs,” he asked smiling a little, “you know, just to hang out?”
 
“Yeah, sure.”
 
The two kids entered the gateway to the boat docs, where the fishermen cast their lines. Ed and Kate sat down next to each other, dangling their feet over the water and talking. Edward pulled out his book again and scanned his eyes over the page.
 
“Why do you keep looking at that thing?” asked Kate leaning over and looking at the page also.
 
Edward shut the book and smiled big, “Cause I wanna be the best alchemist that ever lived! I wanna grow up and have a gigantic laboratory with loads of books about Alchemy!”
 
Kate sighed. “You're forgetting someone here…”
 
“Oh,” Edward blushed and smiled shyly, “Kate?” he asked when she looked over to him. “Ummm… I wanna make you my wife and be the father of all your babies,” Kate gasped and blushed. “And uhhh… I think I love you,”
 
Kate smiled and blushed a bright pink, “I think I love you too.”
 
“I wanna get married and start a life with you,” he slowly put his hand over hers and held it. Very quickly, he leaned up to Kate and kissed her cheek, making Kate blush harder. He giggled, blushing also. They looked at each other and smiled, kissing each other quickly on the lips and giggling. They stood up and started walking hand in hand on the way back home for supper.
 
~end of flashback~
 
Kate grinned as the flashback ended. Suddenly, she grabbed her stomach, wincing in pain. It was a contraction. She tried her best not to shout out and wake up Edward, but a long cry of pain slipped out of her mouth.
 
Edward opened his eyes slightly with a blurry vision at first, but it cleared out to see Kate crying and holding her stomach. He quickly rose up off his knees and put one hand on her head and one on her stomach. “Kate! Are you okay?!”
 
“E-Edward?” Kate said with tears rolling down her face in pain.
 
“It's okay, I'm here,” said Edward.
 
“Ed?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“I'm going into labor! Call the hospital!” Kate screamed in pain.
 
Edward quickly picked up the phone, but there was no dial tone. “Crap, the line's dead!” He looked back over to Kate, “Come on, we're going to Winry's!”
 
Edward lifted Kate up off the couch and carried her to the car. He raced at full speed to Winry's house in the pouring rain, while Kate was screaming. It wasn't long at all when he arrived at their doorstep. He banged on the door while he was holding Kate. After a few more attempts, Winry opened the door, tired and half asleep. “Ed?” Winry asked in a quiet voice, but then she gasped.
 
“Winry, she needs to have the baby here, there's no where else to go!” shouted Edward hastily.
 
“Come on, bring her in and lay her on the bed in the guest's room!”
 
Edward set Kate upon the bed and spread her legs for the baby to come out. Her water broke shortly after. Pinako came running into the room along with Alphonse and shouted, “What in the world is going on?!” but stopped when she saw that Kate was in labor. “Alright, everyone out of the room! Ed, you can stay. It's gonna be a long night…”
 
Edward could only watch as Kate shouted and cried in pain. He gently put his hand on her head and repeated the same words, “I'm right here… I'm right here…”
 
Alphonse cracked the door and peeked in, but quickly shut it when Pinako shouted, “Stay out of the room, Al!” Alphonse walked downstairs, still hearing Kate's loud cries. He sat down next to Winry and began to cry softly.
 
“What's wrong, Al?”
 
Alphonse looked up at Winry, who looked concerned. “She's crying so hard, Winry…”
 
Winry smiled down at him. “That's because she's having a baby Alphonse. You're going to have your own little niece or nephew. That's something to be happy about.
 
The tears stopped as he looked up at her and smiled broadly. He heard the door crack open and he looked up to find Pinako with a smile on her face. “Alright, you can come up now.”
 
Winry and Alphonse both ran up the stairs in a haste attempt to see the new baby. Edward stood with his arm around Kate, who was holding the baby carefully in her arms. She cried tears of joy when Winry and Alphonse entered the room.
 
“Winry… Alphonse… This is baby Edward, our new little boy,” said Kate in a quiet voice from lack of sleep. It was now 4:00 in the morning.
 
“You wanna come over and see your new nephew, Al?” asked Edward, who had a calm smile on his face.
 
Alphonse smiled widely. Winry nudged him as he walked slowly to his brother. Kate handed him the baby with care, smiling as he took the baby out of her arms easily. Al looked down at baby Edward, who was sleeping soundly in the warm blue blanket. He had long golden bangs, golden eyes, and a little sprig sticking up out of his hair, just like his father before him. Alphonse smiled and gasped, looking up to his brother. “Brother! He has the same name as you!”
 
Edward smiled, finding that very touching. He leaned over to Kate, wrapping both arms around her and kissing her neck while he was whispering, “Good job… You did so great
 
Kate, for the first time in a good while, hugged him and kissed him back. “I love you Edward…” she said squeezing Edward harder than ever. Ed grinned as he held his love close to him. “I love you too…” he said.
 
“Edward? Kate? May I?” asked Winry, smiling and looking at the baby.
 
“Sure.”
 
Alphonse handed baby Edward carefully to Winry. She smiled as she looked down at him. “Wow Ed,” she said in astonishment, “he looks exactly like you,” she looked over to Kate, “Congratulations Kate, you did a fine job.”
 
Kate nodded her head, “Thank you, Winry,” but didn't smile very much. Edward looked at her in concern.
 
“Kate?” he asked putting his fingertips on her cheek, “Is there something wrong?”
 
Kate sighed. “No, I'm fine. I've just… got such a headache,” she said leaning into Ed.
 
“Maybe you should rest awhile,” he said putting his arm around her. “Guys? Do you mind?”
 
“Oh, certainly not,” said Pinako smiling, “Come on guys, let's leave them be.” They all walked out of the room and Alphonse handed baby Edward to his brother. On his way out, he turned around and winked at Kate and then left the room, shutting the door behind him.
 
“Hey little guy,” said Edward looking at his son. He softly kissed his forehead and laid him gently in Winry's old crib, covering him up. He walked over to the bed, where Kate laid under the covers, looking very uncomfortable and sick. Edward laid in the bed and got under the covers with her. He put his arms around her and cuddled with her and this time she cuddled back. Ed felt strange having to drive over there in his underwear and muscle shirt, but didn't seem to care less. Kate moved closer to him, wrapping the sheets around them both. “Are you cold?” Ed asked.
 
“Yes, I'm freezing for some reason,” she said shivering.
 
Edward put his hand on her forehead. “Whoa, you're burning up, Kate. I think you're running a fever,” Edward sighed, “I guess having our baby put you through a lot, huh?”
 
“I'm okay. It's just… a little bug going around. That's all,” she said smiling weakly.
 
Edward reached over and grabbed a glass of water and put it to Kate's mouth, tipping it up so she can drink out of it. Ed could barely keep his eyes open. He was very tired from Kate having the baby. He put both his arms around her, falling asleep shortly after along with Kate. Baby Edward still laid up in the crib, sleeping soundly with love from everyone around him.