Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Whisper in the Wind 2 ❯ Unexpected Return ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
When Edward finally managed to get a fast ride home, he ran out of the cab and straight to Winry's front door. Not even bothering to knock, he swung the door open and ran inside the house. "Where is she, Winry?"

"Over in your room. There wasn't another bed, so I took her to yours. She's asleep right now."

Edward walked upstairs and opened his door quietly, trying not to wake Kate. He walked inside the room and gasped when he saw the blood stains all over the floor and on some sheets. He cupped his hand over his mouth and let the tears roll easily down his cheeks. He turned his head away, until he heard a small cough and a weeze coming from Kate's mouth. Edward gently set his lips on hers to calm her coughing.

Kate squinted and opened her eyes to find Edward's warm lips carrising hers. She reached her arms out and wrapped them tightly aroung his neck. "I... missed you."

Edward sobbed aloud and took Kate in his arms and squeezed her firmly. "What happened to you, Kate?"

"I'm an alchemist now, Ed. I learned alchemy yesterday. Anne died, and I didn't know that human transmutations were forbiddin."

"Oh, Kate. So you lost your leg..."

Kate hugged Edward and cried on his shoulder. "What have I done?"

"It's alright... You didn't know. I made the same mistake, and I have auto-mail for punishment." Edward wrapped his arms around a crying Kate, turning his attention to her leg, which was no longer there. He could feel the warm droplets of water from Kate's salty tears fall on his shoulder. He himself was crying as he took her and kissed her on the lips.

"I came as soon as I could!" Winry ran inside the room with a shiny metal auto-mail leg, when she saw Edward and Kate's lips touching. "Ick!"

"Winry!" Edward scowled.

"Is that... my auto-mail?"

"Yep." Winry walked over to Kate and removed Edward's arms from her body. She carefully looked at Kate's leg and measured it, then compared it with the metal limb.

"You're acting like Granny." Edward laughed a little, but stopped when Winry's wrench pounded a knot on his head. "GEEZ!"

"I think this one will do." Winry put her tape measure away. "Are you ready?"

"I think... will this hurt?"

Edward coughed and Winry swallowed. "Oh... just a little..." Winry smiled nervously knowing she was lying.

When Kate rolled up her pant leg, Winry set the auto-mail leg on Kate's thigh. "AAAHHHH! OW, IT HURTS!!!" Kate screamed as the nerves in her leg connected to the metal limb. "YOU SAID IT WOULDN'T HURT!!!"

"Well, I didn't want you to change your mind..." Winry let go of Kate's metal leg. "There... try to wiggle your toes."

Kate wiggled her toes and smiled. "It works!"

"Here..." Edward smiled and pulled out a white rag. He used the rag to wipe some of the access blood off of Kate's leg. "You'll get used to it in a few weeks."

"Thanks, Ed. Thank you, Winry."

"No problem." Winry wiped the sweat off her head and left the room for the shower. Kate rolled her pant leg back down and put her shoes on. She reached in her pocket and pulled out Edward's silver pocket watch.

"You might want this back..." Kate smiled and handed Edward the watch.

Edward grinned and accepted the watch. "Thank you, Kate..." Edward took Kate in his arms and kissed her warmly. "Thank you so much..." He softly stroked Kate's skin, never relizing how soft it was. He could smell the sweet scent of her hair in each breath he took. He know relized that they were both getting older, and with each passing assignment, it would be even harder for him to leave her. He knew one day Kate was going to be Kate Elric, and they were going to have children to watch over. He couldn't just leave Kate behind every time the military gives him a mission. He knew for a fact that she might not be here if he comes back. She lost her leg the first time, but the next time she could loose her life, all because he wasn't there to do anything about it. But Kate was an alchemist now, and that gave Edward the best idea. "Hey Kate... uh... there's room for one more State Alchemist... they probably won't care who it is... umm... would you be interested?"

"Edward Elric! You know good and well they won't accept me as a dog! I'm not a skilled alchemist. Even if the Ranks did put me on a leash, I'd still have to go by the state's orders and I probably wouldn't be able to go with you."

"Kate, you don't have to be as skilled as me. They're pretty desprate... they REALLY need an alchemist. C'mon, please?" Edward made a small wide-eyed puppy face in need of a loving home. "You'll let the military down..."

Kate made a face looking like she wanted to cry as she stared at the cute little face Edward was making. "Alright alright! I'll join! Just please don't make that face anymore! It's too cute!"

Edward smiled with his eyes still wide and sparkling. "Yes! I'll see what I can do about you traveling with me! I'll do whatever it takes! We can schedule a train to the Headquarterd tomorrow."

"Wait, tomorrow?"

"Yeah! Why not?"

"It's just... it seems so sudden. I haven't even been there before."

"Don't worry about that! It only takes a couple of days."

"Oh, it only takes a couple of days, brother?"

"Al! Whadda you mean?"

"Well, before, you were complaining about it taking a couple of days."

"Oh, shut up."

"Well, I guess... I can pack my bags." Kate stood up and tested her auto-mail leg, but tripped a little bit.

"Okay, you're spending the night here, then." Edward caught Kate just in time before she hit the floor.

"Huh?"

"You have to, since you live a couple miles away. They don't have a car. Pinako's way to short to drive."

"Can I borrow some of your clothes? Winry's too tall, and you and me are about the same size."

"I don't care."

When nightfall came, Kate had already had some clothes packed, since the ones she had on were covered with blood. Edward let her use a long white t-shirt for pajamas. Kate laid on Edward's bed and he laid next to her. Kate looked around a little and wondered. "Hey, Ed. I don't mean to be rude, but... where can I sleep tonight?"

"Umm... well... there's... not really anymore beds. Umm... Wanna share with me?"

"Umm," Kate blushed a little. "Sure."

Kate and Edward talked for a little while until Edward asked Kate a question, and she didn't answer. She had already fallen asleep. He looked at a sleeping Kate, who was slowly breathing. He gently put his arm around her and kissed her cheek and put the covers over both of them. He snuggled his nose into hers and drifted off to sleep.