Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Your Star ❯ Part One - Germany ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi All!
 
 
Alright, alright, I know I should be updating right now, not posting a new story.... But I can't help it. It's a two-shot, so be on the lookout for the second part.Anyway, enough rambling…enjoy!
 
 
Trekker (Fanfiction)
 
 
YoukaiLuvr (Mediaminer/GaiaOnline)
 
 
Disclaimer: I own no part of the series Full Metal Alchemist, nor do own the song Your Star by Evanescence or the series Pokemon.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
Your Star
 
 
Part 1 - Germany
 
 
I can't see your star
 
 
The stars….
 
 
Yet another thing that had fallen under the strange influence of this world. They were still here, but they had been changed. Both brothers could agree on that much, at least. They had been fighting more so in the last month than even during their roughest trials back home.
 
 
Home was something he hadn't thought about in a while. The boy got up from his prone position on the hill and walked over to the nearest tree. Putting his back to it, he slid down it's bark until he was sitting on the ground. Leaning his head back against the tree, his blonde hair fell back to reveal a pair of beautiful golden eyes.
 
 
I can't see your star
Though I patiently waited, bedside,
For the death of today
 
 
I can't see your star
The mechanical lights of Lisbon
Frightened it away
 
 
 
Yes, the stars were all there, but their formations were different than the ones in Armestis. Thus it had taken him this long - nearly three years after he and his brother returned to this world - to realize that something was wrong. Not all of the stars were there; one was missing.
 
 
This missing star was more special to him than the others, it's light more precious than the combined light of thousands of other stars. This was her star. He still remembered the night they first saw it….
 
 
And I'm alone now
Me and all I stood for
We're wandering now
All in parts in pieces, swim lonely
Find your own way out
 
 
***Flashback***
 
 
It was so long ago - seemed like a lifetime. He was about ten years old, his brother nine, and she right in between them. They were lying on their backs in a clearing, much like he was doing a moment ago, after a small party for her birthday. They were engaged in one of their favorite activities - finding and tracing the constellations in the night sky.
 
 
They each had their favorite. Hers was the lion. She told him once, years later, at his request, the reason she liked the lion so much.
 
 
She said it was because lions reminded her of him. From the hair (or fur, depending) to the attitude, they were `pure Edward Elric,' she had said.
 
 
But that night in particular was amazing for another reason. A shooting star appeared and seemed to land right beside the lion to become a new star in the sky. That one star stayed right where it was, no matter what season it was or in what country he was in. The constellations and stars around it could change, but it never moved. It was always beside the lion.
 
 
And so was she. Even when she wasn't physically at his side, she was always there supporting him - and his brother. She kept a good supply of food on hand in case they came by, kept the automail models in perfect condition for him, and always, always kept a light on for them.
 
 
***End Flashback***
 
 
I can't see your star
I can't see your star
How can the darkness feel so wrong?
 
 
But no matter how hard he looked, he couldn't find that one star. The lion was here, but the light was not.
 
 
His brother was pissed at him, too, which didn't help matters any. About two years after they returned to this world - well, he returned and his brother came for the first time - his brother started going off on his own a lot. Al was gone all day nearly every day now, coming home only to sleep. It had started to worry him, until he found out why.
 
 
And I'm alone now
Me and all I stood for
We're wandering now
All in parts in pieces, swim lonely
Find your own way out
 
 
In the next town over, Al had found a bookshop where the store had been `adopted' by a couple of friendly stray cats roam around freely inside; the owner provided food and water if they wanted it, letting them come and go as they pleased. So of course he was in love with the shop right away. But it turned out that wasn't the only thing he had fallen in love with. The young girl that ran the store, Mahri, had caught Al's attention more so than the cats, if that was even possible….
 
 
Al had been spending more and more time there lately, to the point that he was getting up before Ed to leave and coming home just before the elder brother went to sleep. Though now that was actually working in Ed's favor….
 
 
The government had been looking for someone to blame the airship disaster on and, since Dietlinde Eckhart wasn't around, the Elrics had become the most convenient scapegoats. The brothers had managed to hide for a while, but lately, Ed had been seeing their agents following him quite a bit.
 
 
The more Al stayed away, the happier Ed was, because that meant that he was safe. As far as the older boy could tell, he was the one being watched, not his brother. Maybe, if and when they did show up and take him, then Al would be safe….
 
 
So far away
It's growing colder without your love
Why can't you feel me calling your name
Can't break the silence
It's breaking me
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
“Mahri! You here?” called Al, opening the door to the bookshop and stepping inside. He was now seventeen, though he sometimes felt much, much older. “Yeah, Al, I'm in the back!” answered a young woman's voice. Al smiled and followed the sound of the voice into the back of the store.
 
 
Mahri looked up when he rounded the corner nearest her. “Hey there,” she said, walking away from the books she was shelving to wrap her arms around his waist and plant a small kiss on his cheek. “How are you this evening?”
 
 
Al shrugged. “I'm okay, I guess. How's the shop? I know I haven't been here for a bit, but Ed's been…well, he hasn't been acting like himself.”
 
 
Mahri let go of her beloved and led him back to the front of the store. “What do mean?” she asked.
 
 
Sighing, he said, “It's hard to explain. I mean, for one, he hasn't been bothering me lately about my long hours here.”
 
 
When they stopped by the front counter, Mahri continued on around. “Was that ever a problem before?” she asked.
 
 
“Well, no, not really,” said Al, leaning on the front of the counter. “It was just…he sounded different. It was almost as if he wanted me out of the house. He even told me to be careful.”
 
 
He frowned and sighed.
 
 
“He only says that when we're in serious trouble....”
 
 
Mahri placed her hand on his and caught his gaze. Al had told her long ago of how he and his brother came to stay in this world of science.
 
 
“Al…” She trailed off as the shop door opened.
 
 
With blonde hair, blue eyes, and dressed in identical olive green uniforms, the three men were obviously part of the new Aryan Military that had sprung up in the aftermath of Eckhart's destruction.
 
 
“May I help you, officers?” Mahri asked, slipping easily into her shopkeeper persona. The oldest officer spoke.
 
 
“Yes, fräulein. We are looking for a book to give as a gift to a young child - a girl, about eight years old.”
 
 
Mahri walked out from behind the counter and headed towards one of the rows of books.
 
 
“Right this way, sir. I can show you where they are.”
 
 
Only the officer who had spoken followed her; the other two stayed behind, breaking their attentive positions and leaning on the counter as soon as their superior was out of sight, ignoring Al.
 
 
“Ah, I can't believe we gotta come with the Oberst to get the Kaiser's kid a birthday present. I mean, it's not like either of us know anything about kids….” said the tall, lanky one on the left.
 
 
The Kaiser? That's unusual to hear about him so far away from the capital, thought Al.
 
 
The slightly shorter man on the first one's right replied to his comrade's comments.
 
“Well, it's not like we had a choice, Frederick. We have to follow the Oberst. Where he goes, we go.”
 
 
`Frederick' wasn't too happy about what his friend had just said.
 
 
“Dammit, Malachi, how many times have I told you to call me `Rick'?! I friggin' hate `Frederick'!”
 
 
Malachi just smiled while Rick continued.
 
 
“And I know about having sworn to follow the Oberst. I guess I'm just antsy…there hasn't been any good fighting since after that Eckhart disaster - three freakin' years of junk work.”
 
 
Malachi nodded; still, neither one had noticed that Al was there and could hear everything they said. He spoke again.
 
 
“Speaking of Eckhart, you know those two kids the higher-ups are blaming for that whole deal? What was their name, Elrond, or something?”
 
 
Al's head snapped up again. Eckhart? Kids?
 
 
“Not Elrond, you dolt - their name's Elric; I heard the Oberst talking about them the other day. Why - what about `em?”
 
 
“Apparently, someone found where they've been hiding since that mess,” said Malachi, giving a nasty little chuckle.
 
 
“They'll be out of the State's way by tonight.”
 
 
Rick joined Malachi in laughing over that enjoyable thought while Al tried to restrain the urge to draw attention to himself by running out of the store to warn his brother.
 
 
Thankfully, the two soldiers snapped to attention as Mahri and the Oberst returned to the front of the store, Mahri carrying a small book.
 
 
“So, this book is all you need, sir?” Mahri asked, slipping behind the counter to ring up the officer's bill.
 
 
“Yes, thank you,” replied the Oberst, coming to stand in front of the register and paying for the book.
 
 
“Thank you for your time, fräulein. Flagge, Leutnant, let's go.”
 
 
The three men left the store and, as the door shut behind them, Mahri breathed a sigh of relief. “Whew. I'm glad they're gone,” she said, turning around to sit on the counter. “The military never used to bother me, but lately, some of the stuff they've done…rounding up people, just for being born a certain way....”
 
 
She trailed off, a slight shiver running down her back. She looked over at Al, who had a pensive, worried look on his face.
 
 
“Al, what's wrong?” she asked.
 
 
He looked her in the eye, the dread obvious.
 
 
“I know now why brother wanted me out of the house so badly. He must have known....”
 
 
“Known what?” asked Mahri.
 
 
“Those two soldiers - the ones that stayed back here at the counter - they were talking...a-about they were talking about me and brother…they said that the Elrics - that me and Ed - would be finished by tonight. They must be planning a raid or something on the house…that's why brother wanted me to leave - he didn't want me to be in any danger!”
 
 
Al paused, then his eyes widened.
 
 
“I've got to go help my brother.”
 
 
He started to turn toward the door when a hand on his shoulder stopped him. He turned back.
 
 
“Mahri? Wha?”
 
 
She slid off the counter to stand beside him and slipped her hand in his.
 
 
“I'm coming with you.”
 
 
“What?! No way! I have no idea what's going to happen. I can't get you mixed up in this!”
 
 
Shaking free of her grip, he dashed out the door and down the front steps. The motorcar he shared with Ed was parked nearby; he was in and had it started when the passenger door opened.
 
 
Mahri sat down and closed the door again.
 
 
Al sighed. “Mahri, I told you - I can't let you get mixed up in this.”
 
 
Mahri just smiled. “I know. But I'm still going to come with you. Where you go, I go.”
 
 
Trying to make Mahri stay home and relatively safe, Al tried one last effort.
 
 
“But what about the store? The cats?”
 
 
“The store will be fine - it's locked tight and I have everything I need out of it with me. The cats will be fine, too - they were strays to begin with and they'll find their way once again.”
 
 
Mahri looked at him again.
 
 
“I told you - I'm coming.”
 
 
Al smiled.
 
 
“Thanks. Hold on.”
 
 
Al floored the accelerator, threw the car into gear, and sped out of town.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-

The sound of multiple footsteps brought Ed out of his slumber. He looked up from his place under the tree.
 
 
Over a dozen Aryan soldiers stood over him. He stood up to face them.
 
 
“Can I help you fellas?
 
 
One soldier stepped away from the pack and to the front.
 
 
“Edward Elric, you are charged with crimes against the State. You must come with us.”
 
 
Ed raised an eyebrow. These guys had to be joking…he knew they were coming, but still - that line was pathetic.
 
 
Can't the bad guys ever come up with something original?
 
 
“Oh really? Too bad there's only…” He trailed off, counting the men. “Eighteen of you. Man, I was hoping to go out with a bit more of a fight....”
 
 
The eyes of the soldiers widened as Ed leapt at them, taking out several as they hit the ground. There was no way - no way in hell - that he was going to go quietly.
 
 
All my fears turn to rage
 
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
And I'm alone now
Me and all I stood for
We're wandering now
All in parts in pieces, swim lonely
Find your own way out
 
 
Al stopped the car and hopped out immediately, not even waiting for Mahri. He ran up the hill, coming up on the backside of the tree where Ed had been asleep.
 
 
“Ed! Brother, where are you?!”
 
 
Mahri followed close behind him. The scene that unfolded as they crested the hill wasn't pretty. Almost twenty Aryan troops lay on the ground, some unconscious, most bleeding. Standing above them all was Al's brother, Ed.
 
 
Seeing his brother spurred Al on and in a few moments, both Al and Mari were in front of Ed.
 
 
“Ed!” cried Al. “What happened?”
 
 
Ed chuckled grimly, weakly.
 
 
“What'd ya think? Those bastards thought they could take me down.”
 
 
Ed's legs wobbled and he fell to his knees. Al caught him by the shoulders, steadying him. Ed coughed into his hand and grimaced when he pulled back.
 
 
“I guess they thought right.”
 
 
Al's eyes widened as he saw the blood on Ed's normally white glove.
 
 
“Brother?”
 
 
Ed looked up at Al.
 
 
“I'm sorry, Al. Take care of her, `kay?”
 
 
Those words proved to be enough, for as he spoke them, the elder Elric collapsed to the ground.
 
 
Nothing worth fighting for
We're wandering now
All in parts in pieces, swim lonely
Find your own way out
 
 
Al stared at Ed, lying on the ground. He jumped when Mahri laid her hand on his shoulder.
 
 
“Al, we should go. Those soldiers' bosses are going to be wondering what's taking them.”
 
 
Al nodded, keeping Mahri's hand on his shoulder as he reached over to Ed's still form to turn him over, intent on carrying him back. As he did so, his hands brushed a large gash across Ed's chest, one that tore his shirt open and went deep into his flesh.
 
 
Al gasped. The moment his bare hands came in contact with his brother's blood, a brilliant blue light - the light of transmutation - burst forth from that point and spread to encompass the three kneeling there.
 
 
When it faded, there was no evidence as to who was responsible for the wounded Aryan soldiers lying on the ground, who were now waking and would have to explain this new fiasco to their superiors.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
So, like I said, this is part I of II...review and let me know what you think. Part II is pretty good…I think.
 
 
Anyone catch my little reference to LOTR? lol I just couldn't resist.
 
 
I looked up a little bit of German for this…I think it's ok....
 
 
Fraulein - Miss
Oberst - Colonel (referring to the senior officer)
Flagge - Ensign (referring to `Malachi')
Leutnant - Lieutant (referring to `Rick')
Kaiser - Emperor (I know Germany was never an Imperial State, but this fit better than anything else I could find.)
 
 
Mind you, this is just a rough translation through MS Word; I only know about 2 words in actual German....
 
 
As to the Pokémon (in disclaimer) - `Mahri' is the name of the little sister of the Trovita Island Gym Leader, Rudy;English dub, of course. I have always loved that name and it seemed like the name of a girl Al would fall in love with.
 
 
And if you can't tell, part of the reason the military was hunting Ed was because of his Automail. The timing's a couple years off, but this is supposed to be placed during WWII. Mahri's comment about the military `rounding up people' was supposed to be a clue. I hope it worked. :}
 
 
Be on the lookout for Part II. It'll be out whenever I can get the chance to type it up.
 
 
Trekker (FanFiction)
 
 
Youkai (Mediaminer/GaiaOnline)