Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Suzaku no Princess ❯ Toeuble a Burnin' ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
CHAPTER TWO: TROUBLE A BURNIN'

They had only been traveling a few hours since they left Mount Reikaku, but Usagi started again, "GEN-CHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!" It wouldn't have been bad if Usagi was miles away from him, but the girl was sitting right in front of him, in his arms. Usagi's horse was trotting beside with its reins tied to the one the pair were on, and all their belongings were piled onto her horse to make it more convenient.

When Usagi climbed onto the saddle of her own horse with his help (that nearly squashed him on the ground due to her weight), she would've slipped off again if she hadn't cling to the creature's mane for dear life. After that, he knew he couldn't leave her alone on the horse, but she kept muttering to herself about how easy it looked in the movies.

"What is it now?!" he sneered, wondering how in the world he got into the mess. It was going to be one LONG journey if this continued, but part of him was actually content with the trip. He couldn't say being with Usagi was completely terrible and frustrating because he enjoyed her talks about her world, which just confused him even more but amazed him at the same time. There were moments he would interject with a few sly remarks and curious questions, and she would either answer him sweetly or pout with her cheeks puffed up like a blowfish.

In exchange of her mysterious world (time, according to Usagi), he pointed out a few beautiful landscapes and showed some knowledge on events that had taken place there or something related to the Reikaku Bandits. Usagi would at times glance at him, wondering why he didn't take about his family when he had asked about hers and she happily told him about them, but she didn't pursue the matter, knowing he probably didn't want to talk about--at least not now, when they were just becoming friends. But being with Genrou was like having Shingo around with all the teasings and playful insults, though the bandit was two or three years older than her.

"I'm hungry, Gen-chan!" she announced, nearly causing him to facefault off the horse.

"You already ate an hour ago!!" he informed her. "If you keep eatin' like a pig, we won't have any food left before we even see people!"

"Oh fine!" she pouted, not liking that insult one bit, and kept quiet with her arms across her chest. Shingo never snapped at every single thing she said... Okay maybe he did, but still, she only knew Genrou for a few days, and they act as if they had known each other ever since their childhood, arguing like good, old friends do.

Genrou shook his head, not knowing why he was letting a girl get to him so much, but he knew Usagi was no ordinary girl. How ordinary could a person be when one just appeared out of the blue like it was an every day event?! Not only that, but her unique appearance was unearthly--the long, blonde hair that was rarely seen in Konan, at least she was the first one he had seen. She was rather flashy with the outfit she wore, revealing her slender legs which she usually bopped his perverted head for glancing at them. But it wasn't his fault when she insisted on wearing something that was inappropriate for females, and she had refused to put on the layers of proper dress, complaining that it would be uncomfortable and sweaty traveling in them.

His nose began to twitch again, and he sneezed, unintentionally sending his germs to the girl in front of him. She yelped childishly, "EEEEEEEEEWWE, Gen-chan!!!"

He rubbed his nose and then snorted, "It's yer freakin' hair!" He gave one of her ponytails a playful tug as a reminder that it kept getting in his face when her head whirled about at the scenery. At least she was talking to him again because he didn't like the silence between as if it emphasized their current situation of two strangers of different worlds thrown together on a journey (not realizing that it was actually Fate--and the writer's doing).

"And while I'm at it," he began, "Stop callin' me 'Gen-chan'."

"But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Gen-chan?!!" Usagi whined, using the irritated nickname just because it bothered him and it was cute.

He groaned while she looked over her shoulder at his helplessness, giggling. "That's just a nickname the guys use. Just call me 'Tasuki' from now on."

"Okay," she smiled, turning back to the front, but Tasuki didn't miss the glint of mischief in her blue eyes and wondered what she was thinking, "Tas-chan!" Her outburst of a new nickname almost caused him to fall off the horse once again. They had to admit, the trip wasn't going to be so lonely and boring.

Having forgotten about his insult, Usagi suggested, "Can we take a break somewhere?! We've been gone for hours, and I think my butt's asleep!" She tucked her fists below her chin and shook her upper body, sending her ponytails to smack Tasuki in the face again just to stress that she needed to run around on solid ground again or else her body would become mush, melting her bottom into the saddle.

"OKAY, OKAY!" he yelled, trying to avoid her dangerous hair. When she calmed down with a satisfied cheer, he said exasperated, "There should be an inn and an eatery up ahead. It's been a while goin' down this road."

"Perfect!" she chirped, "Then we can eat!"

"Hey Odango," he called, lightly tapping her head, "if you haven't fergotten I'm a bandit here. I ain't loaded, ya know."

"Yeah, I know. But we can deal with it when we get there!!" She grabbed the reins from his unsuspecting hands and gently kicked the horse's sides, picking up its pace. The second horse followed suit, not wanting to be dragged like a extra luggage.

Tasuki almost fell back from her sudden action in taking over his job of directing their ride, but he quickly wrapped his arms around Usagi's waist to keep himself in place, causing a quiet 'eep' to escape her lips. Usagi blushed, peering down to her waist where his hands were clasped over her abdomen, but kept silent about it. When he was used to the galloping speed of the horse, he immediately dropped his arms to his side, and he realized what he did and began to blush. He mentally thanked 'the god of Konan' that Usagi didn't turn around and slap him or tease him about his scarlet face.

They rode on and on and on and... on in silence with the late afternoon sun boring down on them, and it was a weary Usagi who broke the silence in an annoyed tone, "Tas-chan, you said it was just 'up ahead'... And I didn't expect YOUR 'up ahead' to be over an hour!"

"I told ja it's been a while," he reminded her in his own irritated tone, but before either could say another word, a banner was flapping in the breeze. "Hey! There it is!" he announced, holding onto Usagi as she rushed on happily with his unnecessary declaration.

When they arrived to the front of the eatery that consisted of a small building--with enough living space for three or four in the back while half a kitchen could be seen from the outside--and a canopy for the customers to rest from the sun. A few travelers--from a young couple to three men sharing a table to another man with his two children--were already seated, enjoying their break while the pair of obvious owners and their daughter were tending to their customers' needs.

In all her excitement, Usagi would have jumped off the horse, but she had to wait for Tasuki to climb off first and help her down. After her feet hit the ground, she made a dash for an empty table, waving her hand fiercely in the air for waitress to come over. That certainly caught everyone's attention despite the fact that she appeared to them as a foreigner in 'never before seen' clothing.

Tasuki was watching the whole scene from the corner of his eyes as he secured the horses against a designated post near the canopy. He then joined Usagi and had whatever she ordered for them, knowing that it was all right because a small resting stop like this didn't have much to offer except for a dumplings and quick dishes and tea for travelers. But how wrong he was when he watched Usagi slurped the bowl of ramen like it was water.

"Daddy, daddy!" a girl laughed, "That lady's funny!" Her father hushed her, telling her it was impolite to laugh and point at others.

Usagi put the bowl down after finishing it and wiped her mouth clean. She smiled at the little girl. "It's okay," she told them, "I'm like this when I'm REALLY hungry! You know the feeling, ne?" She winked, and the girl nodded, giggling.

"And that's ALL the time," Tasuki added, smirking. Usagi glared at him and then stuck her tongue out, blowing a raspberry. He rolled his eyes, ignoring her strange response that he assumed was just a habit from her world, and drank his tea. He would've rather have wine, but it couldn't be helped.

"Aaaw, they're so cute," the woman smiled, sitting a table away from them with her husband. Tasuki and Usagi blushed, realizing that she was commenting about them. The woman leaned against her husband who shared the same thought, "It reminds me of us when we were dating."

At the unexpected remark, Tasuki spit out the tea since he was in the middle of drinking it, nearly choking on the liquid. A worried Usagi couldn't get a word out to inquire about his condition when he just blurted out, "THIS AIN'T A DATE! AND I WOULDN'T BE DATIN' SOMEONE LIKE HER!"

The adults just looked surprised and smiled to themselves while the kids laughed even though they didn't understand the situation. Usagi rolled her eyes and turned to her tea, letting him stand there blushing like a deer caught in headlights. "Typical 'boy yet to reach puberty' reaction," she smiled thoughtfully, earning her lots of stares.

After a while, Tasuki settled down, turning his back against Usagi and everyone. The couple and the man with his children had to depart, and that left the scene rather quiet with just the owner's family and the other three customers besides the blonde and the red-head. "Hey Tas-chan," Usagi called, wanting to break the silence between.

"What?" he responded, leaning Tessen-strapped back against the table edge with his elbows resting on the surface.

"I've been meaning to ask where we were headed. I mean, I have no clue to where I'm supposed to search." Not only was it a change of topic from the previous incident between them, but there was an air of seriousness and importance that began to stir.

He turned around in his seat to face her, having left his embarrassment behind. "Eiyou, the capital and largest city of Konan. The place is filled with scholars, so there's gotta be SOMEONE who can solve your problem."

She nodded, "I hope so. I can't imagine what my family's going through." She looked down at the empty cup in her hand, losing herself in sadness.

Tasuki frowned, not liking that expression on her face. It didn't suit her at all, not the bubbly personality he had grown used to. "Hey Odango" he said and pinched her nose lightly, hoping to get her mind off her home for the moment, "I promise to get ya home safely, so stop lookin' so glum."

There was a pause between them with Usagi looking into his serious eyes, and then she smiled and brushed her hand through his fiery hair, ruffling it up. "Haha, and don't look so serious, Tas-chan!" she laughed. "It's SO not you!"



Evening was already upon the town, and he feared the worse could happen if he didn't leave the place before nightfall. With the town's current situation, he wondered if he could escape alive at all. His little sister was in need of medication when she suddenly collapsed that afternoon, and with the temporary duty of being in charge of his family, he rushed off madly towards the nearest town for a doctor. And with all the money he had, he was able to purchase a bottle of fever medicine but only to be later hindered by bandits invading the town.

He was still at the doctor's place, watching the horde of bandits completely securing the streets of their presence. The citizens were forced to stay indoors, but most were frightened of their captors to set foot outside. But it was rather odd how the bandits were posted throughout and around the town after taking all valuables from the helpless people--as if they were planning to take the whole place to mark their territory.

Whatever they were planning, he didn't care. He had to get back to his ill sister before her fever could get worse, but how? How would he escape without getting caught again or possibly killed?!

The thirteen-year-old brunette suddenly jerked when a hand touched his shoulder. He turned around and was greeted by the old doctor. His fists tighted as his gazed returned to the outside. "I have to get back," he said quietly, "She needs me--THEY need me."

"You might not make it back," the old man informed him, knowing that if the boy was killed in the process of escape, then two deaths would be at hand because the medicine would never make it to his sister in time.

The boy closed his eyes, fearing the possible outcome, but he had to be strong--like his older brother. When he opened his eyes, his decision was set, and he wouldn't turn back now. "I'll have to take that chance," he answered.

"Hmm... it's risky, but we can try a distraction." The boy looked at him with sudden interest. "If you can make it to the northern section of town, the stables are there."

"It would be well guarded."

He nodded, "That's where the distraction comes in. We have a dog in the back for the job. He's well trained." The doctor lead the way to the back of the store, where the dog was laying on the floor by the backdoor, waiting for his master. The family pet perked up at the sight of his master, wagging his tail. "Good boy, Choken," the man chuckled, petting the animal. "Now be a good help and listen to..." He left his sentence unfinished because he didn't know the boy's name and looked at him.

The boy smiled, kneeling down to the dog. "Hi Choken," he said, "I'm Sou Chuei. Nice to meet you." He held out his hand to the animal, somewhat surprised when the friendly dog didn't hesitate to lick his hand. The meeting was rather short, but perhaps there would be more time for the two to become better friends after things were settled and resolved.

After Chuei and Choken left the doctor's place, the pair kept themselves in the shadows of the narrow alleys and buildings until they reached the destination. Still hidden in the darkness, Chuei counted about six guards around the stable, where four of them were patroling farther away. The boy petted the dog quietly and pointed towards the back of the stable where tall plants and shrubs grew wildly. "Go, Choken," he ordered, and the dog dashed across the fields into the overgrown greenery, causing soft noises as if someone was scurrying away.

The plan worked when the men noticed the hurrying sounds leaving the area. They decided to split up and trapped the escapee, which left the place with one guard but he only waited nearby as backup. Chuei tiptoed quietly towards the entrance, staying against the wall, and eventually slipped inside the stable. He quickly found a horse, but he didn't bother with a proper preparation in the ride, just climbing onto the animal, and gently kicking its sides.

Just as the horse dashed out from the stable, it immediately caused commotion among the bandits, but Chuei didn't let it stop him. Leaning forward, he ushered the horse to go faster, running through the front gates of men, who were throwing themselves out of the way, not wanting to be trampled over by the large animal. Chuei didn't look back as they passed the village limit, heading straight for his own, and he silently prayed that his sister could hold out until then.

It wasn't too long when he heard the galloping of horses behind him. He pushed his horse on, glancing back to find three men after him. "YAAH!" Chuei cried, hurry the creature, "Please, you have to go faster!" He looked back once more and saw one of the men with an arrow aimed at him. He pulled the horse to the side, very lucky to have avoid the first one, but when the second one snapped, it pierced Chuei's right shoulder, knocking him from the horse. Clutching his wound, he rolled off to the side and laid there in pain. His bag with the medicine flew a bit farther from him, and he tried to reach out to it, but it was out of his reach.

The men leapt off their horses to finish the unfinished business with the kid. Chuei looked up in horror, thinking it was the end for him. He closed his eyes, just waiting for the darkness to consume, but all he heard was, "REKKA SHIN'EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!" His eyes snapped open, and he watched a blaze of fire flashed between him and the three men. He took this chance and climbed to his feet, retreating back into the side forests.

"Hey!" a voice called to him. He looked over and saw an older girl running to him. When she reached his side, her blue eyes widened at the arrow protruding from his shoulder, "OMIGOSH!! WE HAVE TO GET THAT ARROW OUT!!" She hesitated, not sure of how to go about and do that without hurting the boy.

Chuei gritted his teeth, shutting his eyes tightly, and slowly wrapped his fingers around the shaft of the arrow. Right before Usagi's eyes, the brave boy yanked it out, yelping from the horrendous pain he had to endure. He then fainted, but Usagi caught him in her arms. She tored some cloth from her blue skirt and bound it around his wounded shoulder to stop the bleeding. She stayed with the boy while Tasuki was dealing with the killers.

"Pickin' on a kid like that," Tasuki began, punching one of the men in his jaw, "you deserve some beatin'!!" He ducked down from the others' attacks and swept his leg out across the ground, knocking them down, and then jumped onto the one that he had been beating on and grabbed the man's shirt collar with the Tessen in his hands. "I'd stop if I were ya," he warned, waving the Tessen at the other two, who had gotten on their feet, "Ya saw that fire? Wanna be a burnin' corpse?"

They eyed the Tessen nervously, trembling in their spots at the threat. They had orders to kill the boy and not to return until they had the dead body with them, but now things were not going well for them. If they returned empty handed, their lives would end. And at that moment, they had the choice to escape and forever stay in seclusion for fear of their superiors finding out, and that was what they did, high-tailing it from the scene.

Tasuki smirked at the cowards, who weren't much of a challenge in the first place, and then got up from his beaten victim, being ever so kind (which wasn't like him) to let him go. He had planned to just kick them around until they were barely alive for chasing a helpless kid, but then Usagi told him that he would be at fault to if a life was loss, so he made a stupid promise not to hurt them TOO badly.

The man scrambled after the other two, who were long gone, while Tasuki walked over to Usagi. He knelt down next to her, looking at the boy, "How's he doin'?"

"He just fainted, but we have to get him to a village soon," she said worriedly, holding the boy close to her. She usually showed a lot of emotions, but this time she felt it hit her the most, probably because the boy was around Shingo's age. But suddenly Chuei stirred in her arms, slowly opening his eyes to his saviors. "Oh hey, how are you feelin' now?" she asked in a motherly tone.

Tasuki raised an eyebrow at her sudden, demure behavior as if she was no longer the annoying Usagi he had been riding with. Chuei gave a little nod, and then his mind turned to his purpose that caused him the injury. He pointed towards the bag, and Tasuki got it for him. The boy clutched the bag as if his life depended on it as he stood up with Usagi's help. "Thank you," he said gratefully, "but I have to get back to my village... for my sister."

"Hey, not to worry!" Usagi chirped. "We'll take you back just in case those mean men come back!!" Tasuki rolled his eyes as he and the girl helped Chuei to their horses not to far away. "My name's Usagi. And the one who saved you is Tasuki."

He nodded, "I'm Chuei." With only two horses, it was decided that Usagi and Chuei would ride together since the boy knew how to ride, but he was injured and Usagi insisted that she would look out for him. Tasuki snorted at her comment, and she blew a raspberry at him as he climbed onto the other horse. Being in the middle, Chuei blinked at the childish scene as the horses began their trek towards his village in the north.


Usagi and Tasuki stayed in Hakkou Village for that evening till the next day, tending to Chuei and his little sister until they were in stable conditions. Well, it was mostly Usagi doing all the caring while she ordered Tasuki to do this and that, and why did he let her boss him around, he would never know. He then knew why when Usagi looked at him with her big, adorable, blue eyes that just drew him in and asked, "Tas-chan, could get us some fresh water from the well? Pretty please!"

He just nodded numbly in reply, having lost his ability to speak. When he left the small house and was a distance away with a pail in hand, he threw a series of curses in the air at her irresistable charms! But as he drew the requested water, he was silently plotting his revenge.


Usagi giggled at how Tasuki wasn't so rough and tough as he made himself to be. Everyone had to have a soft spot, and he wasn't an exception. "Big sister," the little girl in bed called, "I want to go play."

The blonde smiled, shaking her head, "Not yet, Yuiren-chan. Your fever isn't completely gone, so be a good girl till it goes away. I promise that we'll play ALL day when you're better, okay?"

She wrinkled her cute face into a pout but then nodded, "Okay, but you promised!"

"Of course!" She tucked Yuiren into bed and walked over to a middle-aged man lying in another bed. She wished she could helped the poor man, but none of the medicine the family could afford was able to make him better, according to Chuei. She wondered if it was because of stress and the limited food. All they could help with was provide some money for the family, but the man and Chuei had stubbornly refused after all the pair had done for them.

Usagi poured a cup of water from a teapot and sat down on the man's bedside. He coughed roughly, noticing the blonde about to help him sit up. He nodded and accepted the cup of water, gulping it down eagerly. He laid back down about to thank the kind girl, but she shook her head, "There's no need, Sou-san. You just rest." He gave her a little smile before closing his eyes once more.

She looked up just as Tasuki and Chuei and his other siblings returned with water and fishes, respectively. All were soaked wet, but the children's condition was understandable since they had to jump into the lake to catch fishes. Tasuki scowled at the girl laughing at him and walked over to the table and set the pail there. He sat there, trying to wring his hair from excess water, with a pestering Usagi who wanted to know how he got himself wet. Of course he'd rather die than tell her of his clumsiness causing the pail to fly straight into the air and...

"Hey Odango," he started, "we should get goin'."

"Oh but Yuiren-chan still has her fever," she protested, "And Chuei-chan is still recovering--"

The children's father interrupted her, having listened in from the beginning, "You've done a lot for us by staying, Miss Usagi, and we're doin' fine now. You shouldn't let us keep you here from your journey."

"Big sister," Yuiren sniffled, pushing her covers aside, "you're leaving?! But you promised!" Her other brother and sister wanted to object too, but Chuei silenced them and scolded them for being selfish. "I'm sorry, big sister," she cried, and the blonde rushed to her side and embraced the saddened girl. "But you will return, right?" she asked eagerly.

Usagi smiled faintly, wondering if that was possible if she was able to find a way home. But just maybe before she left, she could come back once more. She just regretted in making a promise to the girl when she wasn't thinking the first time, but all she could say now was, "I'll do my best, so don't cry, Yuiren-chan. Just get better, and I'll return!!" Usagi stood up, smiling brightly, "Remember, you have to be strong, everyone!"


After a quick meal and an emotional departure, Chuei and his two healthy siblings waved Usagi and Tasuki from their village entrance. This time, Usagi rode on a separate horse, feeling confident to be by herself, which the red-head had doubted, but surprisingly, she was managing pretty well. Their journey resumed like normal with some chatting here and there, but being on the road once again, Usagi's thoughts wandered back to the previous night of the incident with Chuei.

"Ne Tas-chan," she said, "do you think Chuei-chan's village will be okay? I mean after what happened at the other one and all."

"I don't know," he shrugged. Usagi pouted, folding her arms across her chest. He looked at her strangely at the change in mood. "What?" he asked annoyed.

"Tas-chan! You're suppose to say 'Yeah, they'll be fine!' or 'Don't worry, 'sagi, they'll manage'!"

"Hey, I'm bein' realistic here."

"Oooh, don't you know how to cheer up people when they're down!!" she said frantically, "I'm already worrying about them, and it's only been... what, not even a thirty minutes! This is nuts! Aren't there like policemen or something? You know, people who take care of theives and stuff!"

"Uhh, they don't worry 'bout petty things like bandits in these parts of the country." He snickered, "Why ja think I haven't been caught? Heh heh."

She rolled her eyes. "But you and the guys don't hurt innocent people, ne?"

"'course not! 'sides, we don't go attack villages." He was silent, contemplating on the village's situation that Chuei had told from yesterday. It was rather rare for bandits to suddenly dominate a village after pillaging it unless they were VERY desparate, but most would usually get themselves away from the scene of the crime immediately afterwards. And from some of the things the boy described to them like their operations in securing the area, it seemed too controlled and organized as if they weren't any ordinary thieves, but more like...

"Tas-chan!!" Usagi called, after being fed up with his silence. "What ARE you thinking?!"

"Heh, that you're not cut out to be a Reikaku Bandit!" he teased, ushering his horse ahead. Usagi puffed up her cheeks in anger and absentmindedly kicked the horse to pick speed, but after realizing her error, she flung her arms around the horse, hoping to keep herself on it at the fast pace.


The markets of Eiyou were crowded with sellers and buyers that afternoon, and then soon the emperor's procession around the inner city limits would draw larger crowds, making survival in the streets of the capital a challenge. The dark-haired, young man was sitting on the rooftops of a two-story restaurant, waiting patiently for the parade since he had nothing better to do. He did have something to do, but all morning he had gone around the markets asking about any job offers and ended up with none.

He would have to worry about it a bit later, but now he should take a break from walking around for most of the day. Before he could lean back, he noticed something out of place in the crowds. It was strange to see someone with blonde hair like the girl he was watching. In all his life, he hadn't seen anyone with such beautiful hair, and he wondered if she was some foreigner. He noticed that people around her had turned their attention to the stranger, and he smiled like a little boy with his favorite toy, wondering if she would mind helping him out with making money.


"Excuse me, sir," Usagi said, tugging on an old man's sleeve, "Have you seen a young man with wild, red-orange hair?" The man blinked at her and then shook his head. "Thank you." She turned away, wondering where in the world Tasuki was. Ever since they entered the markets, one glance away and he was gone! Maybe it wasn't one glance, but she was so caught up in the lively place and the many interesting item that she unknowingly strayed away from his side. If she ever met up with him again, he would give her an ear full about it.

She sighed, wondering when that would be. As much as Tasuki was annoying, he was a really great friend, and being cute helped too. She blushed at the thought, but soon the crowd was pushing against her harder, squishing her within the masses of bodies that she had no clue why they were standing around for. She saw an open path ahead of her and would be very relieved to get out there, so she politely pushed her way through the crowd until she squeezed through the last wall of bodies.

She wiped her brow from the challenge, not realizing the awkward predicament she was in when the voices fell into silence, gawking at the blonde girl. "Uhh," she uttered, noticing their stares now. She looked around, wondering why all eyes were on here. She heard an army of footsteps marching behind her and spun around to meet the oncoming parade of soldiers. "Uh oh..."

The procession stopped, and Usagi found herself the center of attention, being quickly surrounded as if she was a wanted criminal. The armed commander walked up to her cautiously, "Girl, you're rather brave for crossing paths against His Excellency. State your purpose." She was quite speechless at the information--who knew she was in the presence of the emperor! The man took her silence as opposition, also noting her unique features belonging not of a citizen of the capital. Perhaps she was a spy with the intent on assassinating the emperor.

He narrowed his eyes at her, and she gulped at the fierce look. He waved a hand to his men, who closed in on her, "You're intentions are unclear, therefore you will be detained for further questioning!"

"HEY!! WAIT A MINUTE!" someone shouted, pushing out into the open from the crowd. The soldiers stood in defense as the dark-haired man hurried towards to Usagi. After getting his breathing back to normal, he flashed Usagi a handsome smile. He turned to the commander and said, "We're really sorry 'bout that, but my sister here is new to the city, so she just got lost." He grabbed a confused Usagi's arm and started to pull her away, "No harm done, so we'll just be leaving now... Haha..."

The commander pointed his sword at him, preventing their escape, "You two don't appear like siblings. Her hair..."

"Uuh, well she takes after our mother!" he chuckled nervously, "Isn't that right, sis?"

"Haha, yeah!" Usagi laughed with equal nervousness. "That's right... from mom! And he takes after father!! Haha..." The pair laughed louder like the lunatics they were, causing everyone to glance at one another in reassurance of the two's serious predicament. It was this moment of weak guard that they young man swooped Usagi into his arms and leapt into the crowd.

"AFTER THEM!" the commandered ordered, sending about thirty soldiers into the parting crowd.

"What is happening?" a deep, noble voice inquired.

The commander walked back to the largest sedan and knelt on one knee, bowing his head low, "Your Excellency, two people are suspects of being assassins and haven escaped. I've ordered the troops to capture them for further investigation."

The young emperor remained quiet, thinking about the situation that he saw and heard, but his mind was mostly on the beautiful stranger. Her physical features and the outfit she wore were very unique. He had seen a few people with golden hair, but the clothing were another matter--nothing like he had ever seen before. He wondered if she was the one...

"Very well," he said. "Inform me immediately when they have been captured."

"Yes, Your Excellency!" The commander called another thirty soldiers to follow him as the procession continued.


"Waaaaah, please put me down!" Usagi cried, clinging to her rescuer, as they bound through the air. He later complied when they were far away from the parade. He put her on the ground and looked over his shoulder, making sure they weren't followed. She leaned against the wall, holding a hand against her chest, and took some moments to gather her breath and wits again.

Unfortunately she didn't have time when he grabbed her wrist and dragged her through the streets. She only got a brief glance at the horde of soldiers right on their tail and immediately picked up her pace, wishing Tasuki would show up and help her.


Tasuki grumbled to himself about a certain, annoying blonde who was lost in the huge capital and he had no idea where to search for her after going through a few of the restaurants. Next time, he would have to put a leash on her or tie her to the horse, so she wouldn't wander off aimlessly. It was a bit harsh, knowing that she wouldn't be able to stay in one place for long, but then again it was a great revenge for the things he did for that girl.

Just as he stepped out from a narrow street onto the main one, he heard someone shout, "OUT OF THE WAY!!!" The people in the streets were happily obliged, not wanting to be run over by the insane pair. Tasuki would've ignored the young man if it wasn't for the fact that he was dragging Usagi along. He angrily shot after them, oblivious of the soldiers later appearing on the scene.

Tasuki would've thrown a storm of flame at the assumed kidnapper if Usagi wasn't with him and they weren't running through a place with people, so he had to resort to keeping up with him, which wasn't too hard, considering that the man had Usagi slowing him down. He finally neared them, and when the chance appeared, he jumped forward, tackling the unsuspecting man to the ground. Usagi was flung to the dirt in the process, and by the time she was on her feet again, Tasuki and the stranger were in a furious brawl with the red-head not liking the idea of someone kidnapping Usagi and the dark-haired not liking some random idiot butting into his business.

Tasuki threw his opponent a punch that sent the latter flying into the selling booths, but he wasn't down yet. The man got back up, wiping the blood from his mouth, and unintentionally smirked, only earning him a harder glare from Tasuki. For some unexplanable reason, his smile widened as the red-head charged at him. He dodged to the side, allowing Tasuki to slip, and kneed him in the stomach. Tasuki took the blow and countered with his fist into his opponent's side.

The two were knocked away from each other, landing on the ground in a temporary draw. Their eyes were locked on each other, reevaluting one another's skills, before the fighting continued, but Usagi's scream brought them back to their current situation. "'SAGI!!" Tasuki called out, pushing himself from the ground, after he saw the empire's soldiers grabbing her.

The two men had a strong hold on her, and it was hopeless to break free. Usagi's worries were turned to the fighting idiots, who just tuned her out when she tried to tell them both to stop, and now she could only hope they could just get away. "DON'T WORRY 'BOUT ME!!" she shouted to them, "BOTH OF YOU JUST ESCAPE!!"

"Take her back to the palace. The rest will pursue those two!" the commandered said, pointing towards Tasuki and the stranger.

The dark-haired man grabbed Tasuki by his arm, yelling at him, "You heard her!"

Tasuki jerked away, "IDIOT! I CAN'T LEAVE HER BEHIND!!"

"You can't do anything if you're captured too!!!" he reasoned, "If you wanna save her, then you have to escape right now!!" Tasuki wanted to retort, but having no other alternative, he willingly fled with the young man.


TO BE CONTINUED... Chapter 3: The Secret's Out!

Oh wow, talk about turning the palace upside-down! Usagi-chan, you're amazin'! But how're you gonna escape the palace guards? Uh oh, Usagi-chan's smiling... I think she has an idea... but I have a baaaaaaaaaaaaad feeling about it... [gets bopped on the head] Ita~i~! Gomen ne, Usagi-chan...

But while she's tryin' to get OUT... Tas-chan is tryin' to get IN to rescue her!!! Will they cross paths again... and hopefully under safer conditions... but with things goin' on as it is, REALLY doubtful... [notices Usagi and Tasuki glaring at her] Aah... haha...

Okie, movin' out of the book... Naru and Shingo make their appearances once again ('cause they threated me--since I left them out of this chapter), only to find themselves in desparate need to bring Usagi-chan home because... [gets her head clobbered by a thrown toaster] MAJOR ITAI~!! [glares at Shingo, who's glaring at her with crossed arms, and Naru's not too far behind in giving her the evil eye]

Hmmf! [pouting] OKAY, I got the hint!!! [rolls her eyes] They think I'm gonna spill too much info like when Nufuumrufiieefrum... [getting bounded and gagged by Usagi-tachi, who then drags her off]

SD-Tasuki: And they say 'sagi's got a big mouth... Haha...

[SD-Usagi glares at him.]