Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ dark heart ❯ haunted dreams ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
 
Haunted Dreams
 
Tasuki, Koji and Chichiri stood on a ledge overlooking the enemy. Behind them, the rest of the army, Reikaku bandits included, were gathered, awaiting orders to charge into the swarm of demons that seemed to be spilling almost continuously out of a pitch black hole currently eating its way towards them. Tasuki looked towards each friend in turn and smiled at the identical looks of determination on both of their faces. Chichiri was stood on his right side, his mask tucked into his belt revealing a hideous scar on the left side of his face. He held his staff in an attack position, his one eye staring straight into the center of the oncoming darkness with a fierce intensity that would have made even Tasuki shrivel up out of fear.
 
 
 
Koji on the other hand seemed excited. He had an air of childish delight around him as though he was happy for a chance to kick some butt. But besides that he also had a sense of danger, a kind that told you he was not to be messed with. In both hands, he held a long slim sword with a black bone handle and silver decorations, a gift that he had received from Tasuki at the end of his travels with the miko. He glanced towards the bandit in question and gave him a grin, before returning to stare impatiently ahead.
 
 
 
“What're we waitin' fer damn it!” growled Tasuki, swapping his tessen from one hand to the other, “we gonna fight em `r we gonna stand `ere an' let em slaughter us?” Chichiri glared at him side ways, “patience Tasuki,” he retorted, his one eye glistening with anger that was not directed at the bandit, “we have to evaluate them first. There's no point racing in there and getting killed for our foolishness. We have to plan ahead.” Tasuki huffed impatiently, hearing Koji do the same at his other side.
 
 
 
Suddenly all sound stopped and everyone was stood still, gazing forward into the depths of the enemy force that seemed to be made of stone. For ages, Tasuki stood waiting for the right moment to attack, his tessen held at ready and his eyes fixed on a huge white wolf that was watching him intently, a slight but obvious smirk on its features. The wolf steadily crouched low and with a single roar, came charging forward towards him, followed closely by its army of frightening demons.
 
 
 
“NOW!” bellowed all three men in unison, charging towards their enemy with their men in hot pursuit. Within moments the two sides clashed together, bringing forth the most savage battle either seishi had ever seen. Demons of every shape and form imaginable were fighting without mercy, dispatching men as easily as cutting through butter. Every where they turned some unimaginable creature would appear blocking every possible way of retreat.
 
 
 
The wolf dodged past Tasuki, easily evading the blow he sent with his tessen, looking over its shoulder with a gaze of pure, gleeful malice in its startlingly blue eyes. With easy, graceful steps, it pounded in the direction of currently, who currently had his back turned away, fighting a hideous winged creature with chi blasts. The wolf stopped just behind him, still smirking at the knowledge that he was still completely unaware of its approach.
 
 
 
Tasuki's eyes widened in horror as he watched it crouch down once more, its eyes focused on the back of the monk's neck. “Chichiri!” he screamed, heading towards him only to be thwarted by a huge bear like demon barring his way. As he fought, Tasuki looked over to where the monk had been in danger only moments ago and saw to his relief that Chichiri had heard his yell and had spun around to face the wolf only moments before it attacked.
 
 
 
The wolf shot a disgusted look towards Tasuki before turning her attention back to Chichiri. It slowly began to circle round him, its eyes glinting at the prospect of attacking. Chichiri merely watched it, turning slowly so that his back was never exposed and collecting together his energy for a chi blast. “Foolish human,” it snapped in a husky, feminine voice, coming to a halt. And launching towards him, her jaws open just as he launched his own attack. He gasped in shock as the chi was instantly absorbed, not fazing the wolf at all as her attack continued, forcing him to leap out of the way.
 
 
 
“I cannot be beaten that easily!” she laughed, her face alight with evil joy, “that was merely a tickle compared to what is needed to cause my demise, Chichiri, celestial warrior of Suzaku, or should I say Houjun Re?” Chichiri's single eye widened in surprise as the wolf pounced once more, pinning him to where he lay on the floor, “how do you know my name?” he whispered, “not even my fellow warriors know it.”
 
 
 
The wolf let out a laugh, “it is none of your concern how I know,” she whispered, placing her jaws on his neck, “all that I can tell you is that you are in for some terrible dreams, have fun in the realm of nightmares.” And with that she uttered a word in a language he had never heard before, summoning a huge cloud of black mist to encircle them both. When it finally cleared, all that was left was the wolf with two others, sat on its haunches with that usual smirk on her face
 
 
 
 
Tasuki ducked under the arm of the bear like creature and raced towards where Chichiri had once stood, dodging this way and that to avoid random attacks nearby demons threw at him. Koji was soon at his side, a determined frown on his face as he lazily swung both his blades with practiced but graceful ease, “some battle eh?” he whispered. Tasuki didn't answer, he merely shouted the word “DUCK,” before shooting a huge amount of fire in the direction where koji had once stood.
 
 
 
Koji's eyes widened in horror as he looked up at his friend, “wha... what did ya do that for?” Tasuki pointed over his shoulder, towards the place where a white wolf was stood snarling. “Bandits,” she snapped, “they always get in the way.” Koji stood up, staring at the wolf, unnerved by its ability to speak. “What are you?” he whispered, still gazing at her. The wolf smirked once more as black mist began to swirl around her, getting higher until it was about six foot in total.
 
 
 
Both Tasuki and koji stepped back in alarm as it dissipated, leaving behind an exceedingly tall women with pointed ears, almost hidden in white hair so long that it fell to the ground in heap. Her figure was athletic and well built, clad in a shimmering silver tunic to match her hair. But despite her beauty, what was truly frightening was her eyes, they were just not normal. Her whole eye was black except for her iris, which happened to be electric blue, giving her more of a demonic look than any other feature she possessed.
 
 
 
“I'm fae, a warrior wolf demon,” she said, her head held in a haughty manner, “I am one of the last of my kind along with my younger sister, Polaris. And you, I believe, are the bandit mage koji, a lowly, insignificant and therefore disgusting, human.” She turned to Tasuki, ignoring koji's disgruntled squawk at the comment, “you on the other hand are....” She suddenly stopped, looking him up and down, her face bare inches from his own, “you're not human are you?” Tasuki backed away, holding his tessen defensively before him, “what d'ya mean I'm not human? `Course I am.” He growled, brandishing it in her direction.
 
 
 
Fae shook her head, her eyes still fixed on Tasuki, “no you're not,” she said simply, circling him slowly like she did with Chichiri, “for one you don't smell like a human and for another, your features alone boast of your true heritage.” Tasuki followed her every move, his eyes narrowed dangerously, “I told ya b'fore woman, I'm human.” Fae let out a derisive laugh, “you sure are stubborn aren't you? Well let me put it more simply so that your puny little `human' brain can register it. You. Are. Not. Human. You happen to be a member of the lupine race.”
 
 
 
Both koji and Tasuki blinked at this, “a member o' the what?” they asked in unison. Fae rolled her eyes, “you're a wolf demon.” Tasuki burst out laughing, “yeah an' Suzaku wears a tutu.” Fae gave him the iciest glare she could muster, “oh please,” she groaned, a disgusted expression on her face as koji joined Tasuki in the laughing hysterics. “I... I'm sorry,” panted Tasuki, finally controlling his laughter, “It's just so ridiculously impossible. As I, a Suzaku warrior would be a demon.” Koji got up off the floor, his face thoughtful, “actually Gen', she may be right, after all, yer name does mean phantom wolf.”
 
 
 
Tasuki gave him a stunned look, “yeah but tha's jus a nickname the boss gave me, ain't it? Don' tell me ya agree with this nutty old hag?” Fae bared her fangs, drawing herself up to her full height, “enough,” she growled, staring down at them both, “I was not sent here to be insulted by a pair of idiotic trolls. You,” she pointed towards koji. “What `bout me?” he asked, pointing a confused finger at himself. Fae nodded grimly “yes you, I'm to annihilate all mages in Konan. I have already taken care of one, you happen to be next.”
 
 
 
Tasuki looked at koji, “wha' does she mean by mages? And why did she say ya were one of em? Is there something ya ain't bin telling me koji?” koji shrugged, sweat drops poring down his head, “I... I don't know! this is the girl who says you're a wolf; she's probably not all there if you know what I mean.” Tasuki narrowed his eyes for a second at his friend's uncharacteristically nervous attitude, before turning back to Fae, only to see that she had now summoned two black wolves.
 
 
 
“Beautiful aren't they?” she crooned, stroking the chest of the one on her right side, “such elegance, not like the bumbling clumsiness of humans.” She stood up straight and gazed unblinkingly at koji, her arm held before the wolves in an unspoken order, “I admit it is a pity for my beautiful creatures to be the cause of your demise, but my master's orders are law, it is foolish to disobey them.” Her hand shot down, allowing the wolves to attack the terrified bandit, mist encircling him like it did with Chichiri, “Farewell mage”
 
 
 
Tasuki heard a horrible scream from the edge of the mist, along with the snarls of the ravenous wolves and the tearing of material. “KOJI!” he cried, pushing his way in, “KOJI!” He stopped as soon as he got inside, his eyes wide with horror at the sight of his friend being torn to shreds. He turned towards fae, a look of pure murder and pain on his wild face. “Ya bitch!” he cried, tears flowing down his face, “it ain't enough that ya kidnap one of my only friends, ya have ta go an' murder the one who's like a brother ta me. I'll never fergive ya, never.” And with that he charged, his tessen held high.
 
 
 
Fae gave a look of boredom and lashed out before he came close, leaving a long deep gash on his right arm. Ignoring the pain, the only Tasuki saw was red and that alone kept him attacking again and again, no matter how many times he was struck down. Eventually, he fell to the ground, his energy seeping away as demons crowded around with saliva dripping fangs. “Tasuki!” a voice was calling him, “Tasuki you must wake up it's a dream, nothing more. Come back to this world,” Tasuki felt confused to be hearing his gods voice, but did as he was asked, closing his eyes and concentrating on the voice, feeling the world around him shift into something totally different.
 
 
 
The first thing that met his eyes was a room with a dim red glow. Groaning, Tasuki climbed off his bed, wincing as his feet landed with a crunch on one of the many empty sake bottles that littered his room from when he had tried to drown hi sorrows, drinking himself into submission. His head ached with a huge hangover, temporarily numbing the pain of his friend's loss. With another groan he shuffled over to his mirror, kicking yet more empty bottles as he went, mumbling the odd incoherent curse.
 
 
 
“Ya look like shit!” he growled, staring at his disheveled figure in the mirror. He ran a shaky hand through his messier than usual, fire like hair and heaved a huge sigh, plopping down on the floor as fresh tears began to roll down his cheeks. He covered his face in his hands, sobbing inconsolably. Why those two? He thought, why do all my closet friends get hurt? Why? Is it my fate to end up alone? When will there be enough wars?
“I'M SICK OF IT!!” he yelled, suddenly standing up and smashing a fist into the mirror, “I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THESE POINTLESS BATTLES, I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF WATCHIN' ALL MY FRIENDS EITHER DIE OR LIVE A LIFE OF PAIN!”
 
 
 
he leaned against the wall and slid slowly down it, shaking as tears still trailed down his face, “if this is all I'm gonna get in life then why do I bother? What the hell is the point of fightin' if peace will always be that tiny speck of light in the distance? JUST WHAT IS THE FUCKIN' POINT?” he looked beside him and spotted a shard from when he had smashed the mirror. He picked it up, looking at it intently. What if I do it? He though, turning the shard around in his fingers, what if I end it all now? Will I get peace? Will all my friends be there to welcome me with wide open arms?
 
 
 
Tasuki threw it onto the floor, unable to go through with it, no matter how much he wanted to. He buried his head in his arms, totally unaware that had been Suzaku watching from a corner with a disappointed look on his face. “Have you really given up on life Tasuki? I always thought that you were stronger than that!” Tasuki kept his face down, recognizing the voice but not wanting to listen. Suzaku walked towards him, his wings drooping slightly as his power continued to slowly weaken and placed an arm around his shoulder. “I know that life has dealt you extremely unfair blows in the past, I also know that of all the seishi, you were the one who felt the death of a comrade the most. You have lived through dangers before; your friends would want you to continue living, to continue fighting.
 
 
 
The bandit waved a dismissing hand in the direction of the god, “I don't give a fuck!” he muttered, lifting his face towards the god “every time there's a battle ya expect me and my friends to run straight into the front lines like obedient pets only ta be cut down like worthless pieces of junk. I ain't doing it no more, I've had it! Ta hell with wars! Ta hell with being a seishi and most of all ta hell with you.” Suzaku's aura grew intense at those words, “HOW DARE YOU!” he roared, making the bandit cower against the wall.
 
 
 
YOU'RE A CELESTIAL WARRIOR BY BIRTH; IT IS YOUR DUTY TO FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY, YOUR WORLD AND YOUR GOD! YOU OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THAT. AS FOR YOUR FRIENDS, THEY DIED FULLFILLING THEIR DUTY AND I FOR ONE KNOW THAT IF YOU TOOK THE EASY WAY OUT NOW, THEY WOULD NEVER FORGIVE YOU. YOU ARE ONE OF MY STRONGEST WARRIORS, RENOUND FOR YOUR KINDNESS AND COURAGE. ARE YOU GOING TO PROVE THEM ALL WRONG AND FLEE WITH YOUR TAIL BETWEEN YOUR LEGS LIKE A COWARD? OR ARE YOU GOING TO WALK OT THERE AND FIGHT LIKE A MAN? I REFUSE TO PITY A SPINLESS FOOL.
 
 
 
Tasuki stood up, anger blazing in his eyes, “I AIN'T NO COWARD!” he cried. “Then prove it!” reasoned Suzaku, his anger fading away slowly, “do what's right and listen to what I have to say.” Tasuki glowered at his god for a second and then lowered his eyes, shame over taking his anger, “I'm sorry!” he muttered, “It's just that... every time we fight, I seem to lose a freeing, first it was Nuriko, then it was Chiriko, Mitsukake an' Hotohori... even Tama's gone now. I just don't want to be alone.”
 
 
 
Suzaku smiled at Tasuki as a father would his son, “ you're never alone,” he said, placing a hand on his head, “even in death your friends watch over you, making sure that life treats you fairly. They would never abandon you.” Tasuki wiped his face, consoled by the notion of this thought, at least temporarily, “so...” he said, his voice slightly husky from tears, “what was this duty ya were goin on `bout?”
 
 
 
Tasuki, have you ever heard of the legend of the holy mages?” asked Suzaku. Tasuki shook his head, “nope.” Suzaku heaved a large sigh before he began the tale, “long ago, there was a legend about a certain group of people who had unusual powers, the kind that no other human possessed. These people were so powerful; they even surpassed the gods when in battle. The legend says that there will be three in our universe, ready to aid when things are dire and two awaiting a call in another universe. I have already located four of the five mages, the two from the other world, Chichiri and you.”
 
 
 
Me? A mage? Ya've gotta be jokin',” cried Tasuki, “I may have dabbled in it a bit, ya know, throwin' fire with a magic fan an' runnin' faster than people normally do, but their jus' my abilities from you, aint they?” Suzaku looked thoughtful for a moment before answering, “Yes and no,” he replied finally, “I did bestow the skill to run three times faster than normal, but I didn't give you control over fire.”
 
 
 
Tasuki lifted his hands in exasperation, “I don't have any control over fire, I need my tessen fer that. It's not like I can hold my hand out like this and suddenly a ball of flames appear in my palm, Come on get r...r... holy shit!” he stared at the hand he had just extended to Suzaku to prove his point, his eyes widened as he watch a small flame curl around his fingers not burning him at all. He stared at his hand for a moment and then at Suzaku, then back at his hand before bellowing at the top of his voice for the whole of Konan hear, “WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?”