Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ forever is not enough ❯ Chapter one ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Forever's not enough By Amiboshi-chan

Forever's not enough By Amiboshi-chan

Miaka is your everyday high school student in Louisville, Kentucky, until she finds a strange book researching ancient China for her history report . . .and becomes the girl of legend. A rewrite of the original series, but quite different.

Author's note- Miaka and Keisuke both have different names in this story, since they are American. Miaka is named Scarlet, or Letty, Sinclair. Keisuke is Keith Sinclair. All other characters are called by their usual name. Rhonda is not Yui.



Prologue: The book is opened.

The rising sun peeked through the feathery mist. Two thoroughbreds rounded the far turn on the three-quarter mile track at Bluemist Farms. Side by side, both riders stood high in the stirrups to hold the surging animals under control.

"Now, Scarlet!" Keith Sinclair, the rider on the gray, shouted above the thunder of pounding hooves.

His sister, Scarlet Sinclair, nodded. Loosening the reins she crouched back in the saddle, her face almost buried in the black mane. "Okay, boy, let's see what you can do." The colt leapt forward. He snorted, then settled into ever lengthening strides. The white fence blurred as he gained speed. Beside him, the old gray valiantly attempted to keep pace. Another furlong and the colt was stretched out, running free. The gray dropped back, blowing hard.

As they passed the entrance gate, Scarlet remembered her brother's instructions. She eased back on the reins. "That's enough for now, fella." She chuckled as the colt, named Spitfire, shook his head. Scarlet turned to her brother. Keith was still mounted on old gray Pepper Kat, the horse Scarlet had learned to ride on. He was talking to their mother, by the gate.

Diane, Keith and Scarlet's mother, looked at her daughter. "How fast was he?" She asked, peering at her son's stopwatch. "I can tell from the grin on Letty's face that he was good."

"Well, it looks like he did four furlongs in 48 and 2. A bit more training and-"

"He'll be ready for the track." Diane finished, dispair evident in her voice.

"Yup, looks like it."

"Oh, Keith, I don't want her out there at the track. It's too dangerous. A race track is no place for a young girl."

"Come on, Mom. You worry too much. You know. . ." Keith was cut off as Scarlet called out to them.

"Keith!" She called out, waving an arm in the air. "Well? What do you think? Wasn't he fantastic? Oh, Keith, I've never ridden so fast in my life!"

"Wait a minute, Letty." Keith laughed and held up a glove as he trotted over to her. "Give me a chance to answer."

Scarlet laughed. "He was sooo good!"

"Better than good. He might be the racer we've been waiting for. He has the speed to win." He grinned and held up his stopwatch. "He was fantastic."

"What's the time?" Scarlet leaned forward as he waved the shiny gold watch in the air.

At the sight of the unfamiliar glinting object, Spitfire half-reared and whirled to get away. Caught off balance, Scarlet grabbed instinctively around the animal's neck and dug in with her knees. As if in slow motion, she catapulted from the horse's back and thumped on to the loose dirt of the track. Even as she hit the ground, Scarlet clutched the reins with one hand to keep Spitfire from backing away.

"Oof! She grunted at the force of the impact. "Oh, no you don't!" She rolled to her feet to control the plunging horse. "Come on, Spitfire. It's only me. You're okay."

Keith swung Pepper Kat around to block the colt from taking off. In that split second, Keith and Diane made eye contact. 'I told you so' rang silently through the air as Diane spun around and went back up to the house.

"Scarlet. . ." Keith began.

"I'm fine." Scarlet kept her eyes on her horse. "I've been dumped before. Besides, my pride's hurt worse than my rear."

"Well, if your pride's as dirty as your rear, you're in real trouble."

"Thank you, big brother." Scarlet glared, then looked around. "Where'd Mom go?" Keith shrugged. "Not a good time for a flying lesson, huh?"

Keith shrugged again, then stared at the house. "Come on, Letty, these guys are hungry and so am I." He started towards the barn. Scarlet reluctantly followed.

"How an I ever going to prove to Mom that I'm a careful rider?"

"You just proved it."

"K-E-I-T-H! That fall was no big deal."

"To our mother it was. You know what a worrier she is. Besides, in her mind, girls shouldn't be racing horses. Especially not her girl."

"Yeah, I should take dance lessons and wear frilly dresses. Maybe I should smear make-up on an inch thick and chase every guy in sight."

"Knock it off, little sister." Keith draped an arm around her shoulders. "No one said growing up was easy." He glanced at his watch. "You'd better move it, or you'll be late for school, and. . ."

"Okay, Okay, I know." Scarlet grumbled as she slopped some feed into Spitfire's bucket. "I'd still rather stay here with the horses."

"Dream on. Come on, let's head up."

Scarlet slipped into a clean pair of jeans and a red tee before grabbing her bag and heading downstairs. Throwing her powder blue 'Bluemist Farms Racing' sweatshirt over her head, she called to her mom.

"Hey, I'm leaving!"

Keith walked out of the kitchen, throwing his coat on. "Come on, I'll give you a ride."



"Letty? Earth to Letty Sinclair! Scarlet! Rhonda Evanston waved her hand in front of Scarlet's face. Scarlet turned to her best friend.

"What?"

"Come on, Letty it's time for lunch. Let's go before the food is gone." Letty pulled her bag lunch out of her locker.

"You call that stuff food?" She tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear. She always pulled her hair up, but little strands would come loose to frame her face.

"So, How was Japanese?"

Scarlet grimaced. "Boring. I swear we're going over the same things in third year Japanese as we learned in first year Japanese." Biting into her sandwich, she allowed her thoughts to drift elsewhere. 'Only one month before the racing season opens. Twenty-eight days until my birthday. Then I'll be sixteen and old enough to ride at the track. . ."

"Letty, are you listening to me?"

"Huh? Oh, sorry, Rhonda. I was just thinking.

"Man, you're out of it today. So anyways, as I was saying, I . . ." The class bell rang at that moment. "Damn." She said, tugging on a dark curl." I'll just have to tell you later. See ya!" Scarlet just smiled, wondering if she really wanted to know what Rhonda was talking about. Probably not, knowing Rhonda. Scarlet shrugged and picked up her books to head to class.

Scarlet sighed, bored, as Mrs. Seaboldt droned on and on. World History was fun as long as the teacher didn't talk too much. She looked at the clock. Five minutes until freedom. Just as she was putting her books away, Mrs. Seaboldt said, "I want everyone to write an essay on the culture and beliefs of ancient China and the Orients. You can focus on one thing or a broad range of topics, however you want to do it." The bell rang. "One thousand words on Ancient China by Monday. We will be presenting them in class." Students filed out of the classroom, happy it was Friday and school was over.

Scarlet fought her way through the melee of students to her locker. Rhonda was already there, stuffing books into her bag. The two girls made there way out of the school and into the bright afternoon sun.

"So, are you doing anything today?"

"Well, I have to go to the library to do some research for my World History class, but I'll call you later."

"Alright, see ya, Letty."

"See ya."

Scarlet found the row of books on Oriental History. She scanned over them, then picked out a few. While pulling out 'Myths and Legends of Japan', The book beside it caught and fell to the floor. Sighing, she stooped to pick it up. She read the kanji on the front of it. 'Shinjintenchisho'. . . The four gods' earth and sky. She opened the book and began to read.

"This is the story of a girl who made her dreams come true after she came to possess the seven stars of Suzaku, and many powers were bestowed upon her."

Shrugging, Scarlet snapped the book shut and stuck it back on the shelf. Then she gathered her armload of books and headed to the check out desk.



Scarlet groaned as Keith and his buddies started hollering again. The Sinclair household was never was never quiet when Notre Dame was playing football. Scarlet gathered her books and headed for the door. Keith spotted her as she passed the living room.

"Where are you going?"

"Somewhere to study." Scarlet responded as she strode past. Then she poked her head in said, "And to make sure your racket isn't terrorizing the horses." She dove for the door, effectively dodging the throw pillow aimed at her head.

Spitfire nickered a greeting as Scarlet settled into the straw in the empty stall beside his. Scarlet went back to reading about Ama-Terasu and Susa-no- o in 'Myths and Legends of Japan'. She finished the legend, and picked up a book about Samurai. Beneath it was. . .ShinJinTenChiSho.

"Hmm, I must have checked it out on accident." Scarlet picked up the book and opened it once again.

"This is the story of a girl who made her dreams come true after she came to possess the seven stars of Suzaku, and many powers were bestowed upon her.

The story itself is a spell. The one who reads it through will be given the powers and granted a wish like the girl in the story.

Because. . .the story begins and becomes real. . . the moment the first page is turned."

Intrigued, Scarlet turned the page. Spitfire whinnied fearfully and shook his head as a red light emitted from the book and filled the stable. A matter of moments later, the light disappeared, leaving a stable full of spooked horses. Letty Sinclair was gone.