Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Fushigi Souden - the Seigyuu Saga ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kenja yawned behind a hand and continued staring out into space. The tutor the court had assigned him was more dull then all the rocks in the garden where he sat. A feeling of sadness and loneliness passed over him as he remembered how his mother had been his teacher until a month ago, when her monthly bleeding had continued longer then it was supposed to and she eventually died from the lack of blood in her body.
He still couldn't quite get over the loss of his mother. She had been his best friend, always full of smiles and kisses just for him. She had taught him so much, and she had made it fun. She would take him out into the hills and they would catch bugs, root up flowers and trees, and bring them back to the palace to study them closer.

Now, without her, his days were filled with 'pomp and protocol' as his mother called it. When he wasn't being bored to death by his tutor, he was being bored to death listening to the court advisors telling him what they were doing in his stead until he was of age. A few things he opposed very strongly, because his mother had opposed them. And he always took secret delight in their stunned expressions and stuttered excuses when he spoke up. They always seemed surprised with how much knowledge he truly had, just as they had always underestimated his mother's knowledge of the world and it's goings on.

Kenja squawked angrily as he received a sharp crack on the crown of his head, and he glared up at his tutor in agitation, "What was that for?!"
"That was for not paying attention. Again! Honestly, your highness, how do you expect to rule a country if you don't listen about our past so as to learn from it!"
"Because," Kenja snapped, "I already know about what you've been droning on about. The wars between the four countries that surround ours were brutal and lasted for over 5 generations, until the great mediator, Taiitsukun, intervened. The gods of those countries met with Taiitsukun and they worked out their differences, and even accepted their youngest brother - who is our sovereign God, Seigyuu - into their midst. Seigyuu, who had stayed out of his elder brothers' rivalry, only laughed and embraced his brothers and said that if he were given a country - he would have 4 warriors, one for each of his brothers - and would have a priest with whom to commune with, instead of a maiden like his brothers.
"For the other gods - Suzaku, Seiryuu, Genbu, and Byakko - had divided the heavens and chose 7 people from their sovereign country to represent the 7 constellations that resided in their portion of the heavens. They also chose a maiden from their countries with whom they resonated most strongly with.
"The four agreed that their brother should have a country of his own, and decreed to the rulers of their sovereign nations to segregate a portion of their lands for this new country. This brought unhappiness with the people of the four countries, because Suzaku, Seiryuu, Byakko, and Genbu each asked the rulers of their countries to segregate a portion of their lands to combine a 5th country that would belong to Seigyuu - their youngest brother. Seigyuu himself descended from the heavens and chose my father to lead the fight for the right to claim land for our country. My father lost his life, and his blood won us our country."

Kenja folded his arms over his chest and glared at his tutor, who looked speechless, "Did I miss anything?"
"No," muttered his tutor who looked away, "There seems to be nothing more for me to teach you. You are free to go, and I shall advise the court that you need no other tutoring."
Kenja nodded and stood, bowing slightly before leaving the garden. Sighing, he smiled up at the bright blue sky, "Thank you for everything, mom. You passed your knowledge to me, and I'll never forget a word you spoke to me."




High in the ridges of Mt. Taiikyouku, Seigyuu rubbed his chin and chuckled to himself. The son of his chosen leader was indeed living up to his name as a 'wise man'.
"Perhaps I should appear to him and converse with him," he murmured to himself. From his side, Kyou - his horned ox, snorted and continued to graze. Seigyuu laughed and patted Kyou's flanks, "I'm so glad you agree, my friend."
"Perhaps it is wiser to stop this foolishness, Seigyuu. You cannot keep me prisoner forever. With time, my presence will grow strong in this world as well as the other," murmured a voice from the shadows.
Seigyuu rolled his eyes, "I knew you'd seek me out again. Still the same request? I see you've gained enough strength to speak to me outright."
'I could converse whichever way is convenient for you, Lord,' the same voice murmured into Seigyuu's mind, 'And I only plead for your understanding. You and your brethren continue to brush me aside. If you would release me, and cease this foolish tradition of choosing a miko to assist your people-'
"I choose a Houshi, not a miko."
'Whichever pleases you, Lord. However, you choose a representative and bestow powers upon them at my expense. You use me to keep ties between this world and the other open. I have already proven my effectiveness by bringing you a queen for your nation from the other world. Have I not earned myself respect? Have I not done what you have commanded? Have I not earned my right to be free from this world of in-between?'
Seigyuu narrowed his eyes, "We are of this world and of the other. We commissioned the creation of this world by the followers of the other, and we did not foresee your creation. My brothers gave you a task so you would feel you had purpose... and so they would not have to monitor the border between the worlds every waking moment. You bemoan your existence instead of accepting it. You have immense power, yet all you do is complain about it."
'I wish to be free as you and the other gods are. This existence is unfair and belittling to a being such as I,' the darkness said darkly, 'I do not wish to betray you or the other Lords, but, if you will not release me, I will find someone who do so for me...'
And with the threat hanging in the air, the presence vanished back into its realm.