Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Hearts Pull (Ch. 1) ❯ Hearts Pull ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tasuki followed close behind Chichiri as they traveled together to an unknown destination that only Chichiri seemed to know about. Of course he'd asked where they were going and all he'd told him was they were headed for some mountains. It wasn't like Chichiri to be so secretive with him, especialy since they'd been together over a year now.

He had to admit, this little adventure had him nervous and he couldn't help running a hand through his flame red hair, which was a habit he'd always resorted to when he was feeling anxious and ill at ease.

They traveled until evening in silence, knowing he wouldn't get a thing out of him. He could sense something brewing under the calm exterior of the one he loved and he wanted so badly to help him somehow. But he'd respect his silence and wait until he was ready to speak of it. He knew better then to push too much for information as he recalled the last time Chichiri had made certain he got the point. You don't wanna be on the buisness end of his staff that's for sure.

After they'd set up camp and had food heating on the fire he'd turned to find Chichiri right behind him and nearly jumped out of his skin. "Chiri!" he'd exclaimed in suprise. How did he do that?! "Yer gonna gimme a heart...!" but he never got to finish his sentence as he was pulled into Chichiris protective embrace and soundly kissed into silence.

When he was able to breathe once more he looked up to see his one beautiful eye full of the love he felt for his worthless hide. "Chiri..." he said worriedly, knowing something was about to go down "what's wrong?" Chichiri just held him even closer and he could feel his thoughts flittering away as he inhaled the intoxicating scent that was distinctly Chichiri.

"I'm so sorry love, but I'm going to have to leave you for a short time." Chichiri told him at last. Tasukis heart froze in his chest and all sorts of nightmarish scenarios played out in his vivid imagination. He knew Chichiri could see the naked fear in his golden eyes and was quick to reassure him with a long awaited explanation.


"Be calm koi" he said soothingly while he rubbed his back gently "you have nothing to fear at all. I apologize for my silence today...but it was hard for me to think of a way to explain this to you." Tasuki kept quiet, perfectly content to stay just like he was. But now his curiosity was growing as well. It had to be something hugely important to make Chichiri act so oddly with him, and the fact that he'd dropped his usual 'no da' expression wasn't lost on the bandit at all.

"The time of my trial has come. It is a test of my skills that Taiskun requires of me when she's considering amplifying my powers. If I pass, then I will be rewarded with stronger magic." Tasuki noticed he didn't elaborate on what happened if he failed, and as if he'd read his mind nothing could have prepared him for the answer.

"Tas..." Chichiri turned a suddenly sombre gaze down at him and a flicker of fear touched his mind "if I fail...I wont be able to return to you." His heart felt like it had plummetted to the depths of oblivion. "No! I wont let it happen Chiri! I'm coming with you and you can't stop me!" he'd exclaimed in his normal hot headed way.

Chichiri chuckled at the sudden flash of fire in his young lovers eyes as he struggled to free himself from his embrace only to be held tighter. But he had no time for a proper explanation, the time for his departure was fast approaching and he'd just have to be firm with his little fire bandit. He was still struggling feebly, not really a match for the older mans strength and he knew it.

"Listen to me!" he said more sternly then he meant as he gave him a bit of a shake to get his full attention. Tasuki stilled instantly, his beautiful amber eyes reflected suprise at his tone. He knew he meant buisness. "While I'm away your to stay right here in the camp we've made. You will be safe here. I can not go into this with the worry that something might happen to you so I'll have your word that you'll do as I say."

Chichiri waited patiently as he watched the war raging in his lovers eyes. The strong desire to protect him he knew was overwhelming. He could understand because he felt just as strongly for his safety as well. After a moment Tasuki bowed his head in defeat, already feeling helpless and of no use to his older lover. But he had no real choice in the matter. It was something personal that Chichiri had to undertake on his own.

He understood that, but he still felt frustrated at being told stay behind. "Alright Chiri...you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll be waitin here for ya when ya beat this thing...." he hadn't meant to let that single tear fall, watching as it splashed on Chichiris hand. Humiliation coursed through him like he always felt when he couldn't quite reign in his emotions. He loved Chichiri so much, more then he could ever put into words.

He'd take the stupid test for him if he could. The emotion was not lost on Chichiri, he knew every mood and ripple that went through his beloved and it pained him to be the cause of that tear. But he vowed to himself he'd make it up to him once this was behind him. He could do no less for this man he loved. He pulled Tasuki in for one more long, lingering kiss before stepping away and preparing to leave.

Tasuki watched with blurred vision as Chichiri removed his kesa, kasa, and prayer beads. Folding them neatly by their gear before laying his staff against a tree beside it. "Chiri...?" Tasuki asked, not liking how suddenly defenseless he looked without his monk accessories. Chichiri smiled reassuringly at Tasuki, his single eye radiating love and strength.

"I must enter this as a simple man, not as a monk." he explained before bowing his own head. "I can not say how long this will take...but before I go..." he raised a hand to the sky as he began chanting a spell of protection around their camp. A ring of red light began moving out from where Chichiri stood to encompass the whole campsite in a circle roughly half a mile in diameter.

"Tas...remember you gave your word. I love you..." he'd barely uttered the words before he winked out of sight, off to who knew where. He gazed into the distance, hoping for a last glimpse of his love but was only greeted by a darkly menacing mountain range that hadn't been there before. A sense of dread rushed through him at the thought of Chichiri wandering alone and defenseless in that hostile territory.

Distant thunder echoed in the distance, but he didn't care. His soul mate was about to face unknown dangers and he'd been made to promise he'd stay put. He'd never felt so frustrated in his whole life. But...Chiri was strong. He could still remember that incident with Hikou and all that water.

Never had he experienced such a wave of pure energy. He'd been momentarily breathless. Chiri had been fighting to protect him as well as the others and he'd definitely grown a new respect for the power he wielded with such ease. He never had reason to fear when they were together. But now all his concern was for Chichiri.

Sitting by the fire in a huff he checked the food and found it ready. But he wasn't anywhere near hungry now. He wracked his brain for any little thing he could do to help while still keeping his promise to stay put. Chiri had recently begun trying to teach him a bit of his own magic. But he admitted to himself that he was a lousy pupil.

His attention span was non-existent and he didn't understand all the complicated chants Chiri could do and make it look so easy. One time he'd been trying to learn how to summon fire without the aid of his beloved flame fan and had only succeeded in bringing a downpour down on their heads.

For the rest of the day it was hard for Chiri not to laugh everytime he looked at him. He was sure he'd done it right but Chiri had said he'd forgotten a very important inflection near the end which changed the element from fire to water. Well, he said he'd do better next time and he promised to himself that if Chiri came out of this alive and whole he'd master any task he set for him or die trying.

It was getting late as he watched the stars winking into life in the heavens. A single star dashed across the quickly darkening sky and he made a wish, feeling a bit like a foolish kid again. But it couldn't hurt to have insurance at a time like this. He got up and walked over to their gear, carefully retrieving Chiris kesa and inhaling deeply of his scent.

It never failed to calm his nerves, just his scent could do that to him. He wrapped it snugly around him and returned to the fire, still thinking of what he could do to help. He couldn't bare the thought of Chiri facing this alone and he could feel tears of frustration welling up again in his eyes.

He scrubbed them away with a corner of the kesa, letting the softness of the cloth linger against his cheek. He had a lot of memories associated with this thing and they were all wonderful. Like the first time they'd shared it's warmth together. They'd been traveling in the cold region hunting for another artifact and had been forced to make camp as a blizzard hit.

If there was one thing he hated it was the cold and blizzards were no exception. He'd been sharing a tent with Chiri and Nuriko. He couldn't stop his shivering and he hadn't known Chiri was still awake. Chiri had come to sit by him and draped his kesa around them both. That blessed warmth had been his undoing.

He'd quickly dozed off but it must have only been a few moments that had passed. Something warm was tracing the curve of his jaw and he soon realized exactly where he was. Even now he blushed as he recalled how easily Chiri had coaxed that first kiss from him. His feelings for the older monk had been steadily growing through their adventures together.

But he didn't dare to hope that he returned his feelings to. He'd felt giddy as they kissed shamelessly beneath the kesa while Chiri worked a magic on him he'd never felt before, with his very touch he felt as if he'd been branded by him. Nothing would ever be the same between them and he couldn't have been happier.

They'd talked long into the night and Chiri had confessed he'd been waiting for an oppurtune time to reveal his feelings to him. He hadn't had his mask on that night, that's how knew that he'd meant it when he'd confessed his love to him. Chiri was like two different people. When he wore his mask he was always happy and doing crazy things to make people laugh.

But when he was without it, that's when the real Chichiri came out. That one warm brown eye of his could convey so much with just a look. That's why he hated the mask now. He knew he didn't really need it anymore, but he still occasionaly fell back on it when his strong emotions made him feel vulnerable. He'd much rather see his real self anytime.

He couldn't help but fall hopelessly in love with the man. But as strong willed and stubborn as he knew himself to be there was no question who wore the pants in the relationship. When he occasionaly forgot his place Chiri took great pleasure in reminding him who was boss. He was never cruel or hurtful about it though. He exerted his will with love and gentleness and it showed in how much he'd changed since being involved with the monk.

A deeper feeling of balance pervaded his life and he was grateful for the lessons he'd been taught at the hands of his lover. Longing touched his heart, wanting so badly to be with him now. But if he broke his promise he feared Chiri would never forgive him. Nor would he forgive himself. This was getting him nowhere! He couldn't just sit here doing nothing while Chiri was put through a dangerous test like this.

Suddenly he recalled something he'd seen Chiri do when they'd been looking for one of their fellow warriors. He'd pulled a round mirror from his kesa and it had magicly showed them their friends location. Unwrapping himself from the kesa he poked around for a pocket or something where a mirror might be found.

But he found nothing and sat down again, the kesa folded in his lap. He felt a sudden weight settle in his lap and carefully moved the kesa aside only to reveal the mirror he'd been seeking right in front of him. He didn't know or care how it had happened but he was grateful for this small blessing.

He picked it up and carefully looked into it's dark surface, not knowing how to make it work or what he'd see. The thought of Chiri in mortal peril clarified his thoughts and the mirror reacted at once, showing him a clear image of Chichiri....dangling from a cliff?!

"Chiri...!!" he heard himself yell out at the mirror but of course he couldn't hear him. He was terrified that he might lose the only person he'd ever truly loved and was torn between breaking his word to rescue him and sitting to stare at the mirror. His hands were gripping the frame of the mirror tightly as he sent up a silent prayer to all the gods to let him live.

The image of Chichiri in the mirror had slowly begun to pull himself to safety when a load of boulders came crashing down the side and took him with them. Tasuki felt a cold terror clutch his heart and his own voice screaming his name before the world around him faded out in a haze of red.

TBC~