Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Return of Evil ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I couldn't even bribe the owners of Fushigi Yuugi to let me have them. So, I selfishly borrow the characters for this fic and have every intention of returning them, except maybe Hotohori.

Dedication: To Valy, who inspired me to write the first time, and the second time. Hugs and kisses, Valy. My fanfic life would me nothing without you. Breathe the scent of LIFE!!! Love and peace.

Author's Note: I got this idea from the wedding scene in the opening song of Fushigi Yuugi. Therefore, it starts from that scene, where she is getting married to Tamahome.

The Return of Evil

Chapter 1

Miaka was undergoing preparations for her marriage to Tamahome. She tried to stop from shaking but sweat formed all over her body. The maids helped her put on the red gown over the white outfit, with the veil over her. She couldn't stop giggling, which soon grabbed hold of the maids, too. The giggling fit soon changed into a blushing contest when the maids revealed they were a tiny bit jealous that Miaka was the one marrying Tamahome, instead of them. They couldn't deny how handsome he was, but Miaka saw beyond the handsome face. The maids giggled and blushed some more as they took her in front of the mirror to get the approval of the Priestess of Suzaku. Miaka sat down in front of the vanity mirror in her room, while the golden ribbon was tied around her waist. Trying to hold the comb straight in her trembling hands, she combed her shoulder-length brown hair. Her fingers ran over her lips, wondering if she had too much lipstick on. She stepped into her red slippers, while putting on her golden bangles. Her hair was put up and she was in the process of losing herself in her thoughts. She was lost in a fantasy about how perfect the wedding would be.

A perfect kiss to end the wedding and the rest of their lives to love each other. Smiling, she went through her memories with Tamahome, and suddenly, her fears began to rise one by one, due to the wedding. Tamahome did say he didn't feel the same way for her when she told him she was falling in love with him. He was very greedy when it came to money. If she hadn't chased him down in the city when she was trying to find him, she wouldn't be here today. He also never listened to her when she asked him to. But she always ended up thanking him for disobeying her. Though he wasn't as wonderful as she thought he was, he loved her was all that mattered. All the times he put his life on the line for her proved just how much he loved her. She couldn't wait to spend the rest of her life with Tamahome.

She was finally ready to get married to the man she loved. The maids left the room, still giggling. A feeling of loneliness filled the room. Miaka was not used to being alone. She hated the feeling of being alone. If it wasn't for Tamahome, she probably would be alone right now. But, he left her feeling so filled with hopes and dreams. Suddenly Miaka felt the air grow heavy. While she was looking at herself in the mirror, she heard an evil laugh come from her reflection in the mirror. She gasped as her reflection stepped out of the mirror and introduced herself.

"Remember me, Miaka? I'm your evil twin! I'm here for revenge and my freedom! How will you beat me this time?"

With obvious surprise, the real Miaka screamed as she fell off her chair. On the ground, she realized she couldn't move her body.

Struggling, she choked, "W-why are you here?! What do you…want?"

The evil Miaka wrapped her fingers around Miaka's throat and laughed, "I'm here to become queen, of course! This time you won't defeat me! I shall have my freedom in this world and you shall be forever trapped in the mirror as MY reflection!"

Miaka cried, "How…can this be? Taiitsukun isn't here. "

Evil nails dug into the real Miaka's neck.

"I am my own mistress now. I don't need anyone to serve. I know deep in your heart you still love the emperor, Hotohori. I want to be empress of all of Konan. But, you chose that thief, Tamahome. The only choice I have is to kill Tamahome and marry Hotohori. You're the cause of it, aren't you? If you had chosen Hotohori, none of this had to happen."

Miaka gasped, "Liar! Even if I had chosen Hotohori, you would have come back and taken him away from me, right?"

"Yes, you may be right, Miaka. If something should happen to him, it will be your fault. Then Tamahome will be next in line to become emperor, since he is the fiancé of the Priestess of Suzaku, who is second in command under the emperor. Hmmm…and how would you feel if I killed Hotohori instead and married Tamahome, Miaka?"

"No! Don't!"

"Shut up! That's not for you to decide!"

The evil Miaka laughed and waved her hand to pull the real Miaka into the vanity mirror where she came from. The real Miaka tried to scream but found that she still couldn't move. Mentally, she screamed for help, but she could only watch as her reflection splashed on some perfume and got ready to leave for the wedding.

In the royal courtyard where the marriage was going to take place, Hotohori realized something is amiss. Tamahome was beyond thrilled, which was normal since he was getting ready to marry the woman he loved. But the atmosphere was heavy, as if filled with death. Hotohori couldn't help but feel a seething jealousy, as he looked at Tamahome. Hotohori spent the past couple of nights away from the kingdom, away from the festivities. He couldn't bear to face Miaka and smile at giving her away to Tamahome. He cried himself to sleep every night, as the nights got closer to their wedding day. He had hoped against hope that some miracle would happen and cancel the wedding. But the other half wished for Miaka to be happy. That was part of the reason he was attending the wedding. The other reason was that he was the Emperor of Konan, and he couldn't disgrace his people by not showing up at the wedding of the Suzaku No Miko. If he had his way, he would order the wedding to be stopped and Tamahome tied down to watch him steal Miaka away and take her to the top of a mountain, where no one could reach them and spend the rest of his life making her happy. But, fate was cruel to him. Instead, he was watching the preparations for the wedding, and Suzaku help him, he was even planning the wedding of the woman he loved to anther man. Yes, fate dealt him a cruel hand. But, he was willing to play, if only to see Miaka smile at the happiest moment of her life, her wedding day, even if she was getting married to someone else.

Tears threatened to spill. He cursed, thinking that he had cried out all his tears. Last night was the worst of the cry fests he had had lately. He knew tonight's tears would be at their worst, but he would not let them show, while Miaka was smiling at him, while in love with someone else. Suddenly, in the middle of his self-pity, he felt his symbol blaze. Realizing Miaka was in trouble, he immediately left, running as fast as his legs could carry him to her room to answer her calls. Pushing open the door to her room, he found Miaka crouching in a corner, trembling.

Concerned, he cried, "Miaka, what's wrong?!"

He crouched down next to her and held her tightly. The evil Miaka cast an evil look to the mirror where the real Miaka was trapped. The real Miaka shouted out that she was the one who was about to marry Tamahome. Well, now she couldn't marry Tamahome because she was trapped in this mirror. Couldn't Hotohori tell that the girl in his arms wasn't her? Well she was her but she was evil!

The real Miaka screamed from inside the mirror to Hotohori. Hotohori heard her cries and loosened his hold on Miaka. Holding her shoulders, he faced her.

He repeated, "What's wrong? Please tell me."

"N-N-Nothing…I-I thought I saw evil Miaka. She scared me."

He gasped, but quickly recovered.

"It's okay. You're safe with me now."

"Hotohori…It's bad luck to see the bride before the ceremony. You should get back to the courtyard before someone misses you."

Not answering, Hotohori left the room, but not without one last look at Miaka and a quick sweep of the room with his eyes. Sighing, he left.

After he exited the room, the evil Miaka laughed, "I can't believe you actually care for that! He didn't have a clue who I really am! Such stupid men you fall for, Miaka! Your own seishi don't know you as well as you think they do."

She walked back to the mirror where the real Miaka was trapped.

"Well, I'm off to marry Tamahome! Then when I'm through with him, he'll be Emperor of Konan! One word of advice, don't get too close to Hotohori. I'm going to kill him!"

In the mirror, Miaka screamed at her to stop and let her go, as she regained use of her limbs, but could only watch as the evil Miaka trotted off in her wedding gown to marry Tamahome and assassinate Hotohori.