Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Seeing Beyond the Light ❯ Conversations with the Seiryuu ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own lots of things that my parents got me for Christmas, but Fushigi Yuugi was not among them. :(

Warnings: Tasuki language (very minor) Spoilers for the end of the first season.

"..." - Human speak
//...// - Thought speak
*...* - Godspeak
~...~ - Telepathy


Seeing Beyond the Light:

Chapter 3: Conversations with the Seiryu

Chichiri ended up fielding all the questions, as Kizuka was once again lost to laughter. Once all the important questions were covered (including several from a surprised emperor on why exactly a HAREM GIRL was having such close contact with 'him'), the seishi retired to a council chamber to discuss what to do next.

Hotohori started off. "The most important thing is how to retrieve Tamahome from the Koutu palace."

Kizuka leaned over to Chichiri and spoke in an undertone, "Why is Tamahome in Koutu?!"

Chichiri whispered back, "The Koutu army was threatening small villages along the border, including Tamahome's. The general, Nakago, sent an ultimatum that unless Tamahome turned himself over to them, the devastation would continue. He complied with their demands, but promised to return when all the seishi were gathered."

Kizuka almost told him at that point that all the Suzaku seishi WEREN'T there, but they were interrupted by a shout from Miaka.

"I'll go! I'll go and get the scroll! It's my fault that it was lost so I need to get it!"

"We need to coordinate everything with Tamahome first, no da"

"Can you set up a spell to speak with him?" Kizuka asked.

"Hai, no da. It will take a little preparation, though"

With that Miaka was off and running to get ready to see Tamahome. Everyone sweatdropped a little as Chichiri set off after her at a more moderate pace. The conference broke up as some went to unpack. Kizuka decided to follow Hotohori, Nuriko, and Tasuki. She joined them just in time to hear Tasuki's outburst.

"B-but I thought you and Miaka were a couple!"

Kizuka ducked quickly as Nuriko's seishi stripe flared bright red and Tasuki went flying into the wall behind her.

"Let's leave the subtlety-challenged behind, shall we?" Nuriko followed Hotohori down the walkway.

Kizuka paused next to Tasuki and knelt down, smothering giggles. "Are you all right?"

"I'm FINE! Dammit, this is why I hate women!"

"Demo... Nuriko's a guy."

"I KNOW! But he behaves like a girl! Stupid crossdressing freak..." He stormed off in the opposite direction from Hotohori and Nuriko, mumbling curses under his breath.

Kizuka was left alone on the walkway. She sighed a little, then walked over to the rail and leaned on it carefully. //Seiryu, we need to talk//

*What.* The voice was hard and flat

A singsong voice interrupted, *Oooo, somebody's in trouble.*

//Shut UP, Byakko!// Kizuka's demand was echoed by three Gods and a Creator.

//Seiryu,// she began sweetly, //do you have any idea why one of YOUR seishi is fooling the Suzaku no Miko into believing that he is one of her seishi?//

*Obviously Nakago has a brilliant plan. I rather like the way his mind works.*

//What is it with you people?! Why does everything have to be a competition for you?//

*It's the way to survive.*

//You're a God! You don't need to worry about survival!//

*But my people do. Take a look at Koutu sometime, little girl. I can't do anything about bad emperors or no farmland. This is the only way I can directly affect my country!*

//So you allow a situation to develop where a 15 or 16 year old kid can't screw up or he'll be killed? Where he has to kill those he has made friends with?//

*Why should you care? He's not your seishi to protect! You are the one who chose the Suzaku seishi.* Seiryu was getting angrier by the moment.

Kizuka chose to remain silent, as she could see that speaking would only make Sieryu livid. Besides, the others were gathering along the walkway. Apparently everything was arranged. Kizuka turned around to see Tasuki bribing his way into the rescue team.

Chichiri turned to see Kizuka watching Tasuki's performance. "Do you want to come as well, no da? You are not a Suzaku seishi, so I don't think the barrier will be a problem, no da." He watched as she considered.

"I don't think so. I will remain here to guard your return in case something goes wrong. I might not be needed, and if I don't go there is less of a chance that the Sieryu will discover me." She couldn't help glancing at the imposter at this.

"Alright, na no da!" Chichiri removed his kesa and laid it on the floor.

"Wait a moment." Kizuka walked over to the three. Closing her eyes, she placed her hand on each one's chest in turn. Each felt a small tugging at their heart.

"What the HELL was THAT!?"

Kizuka opened to eyes to view her handiwork and a very agitated bandit. His colors were swirling so fast that it made her a little dizzy. In explanation she closed her eyes again and concentrated a little. The walkway flooded with light.

"Nani?"

Kizuka heard the sound of Hotohori drawing his sword. "What have you done with the Suzaku no Miko?"

She opened her eyes to face the three people affected. Trailing from each of them to herself was a thin thread of light, each glowing a slightly different color. She fingered each while giving some answers.

"When I put my hand on their chests I marked them with a tiny amount of my chi. What you are seeing is mostly that, but the threads contain a little of each person's chi as well. This way I can tell over great distance what they are doing, and how they are feeling. I think I could even speak to them telepathically, if I made the connection stronger."

"Will this go through the barrier, no da?"

"Yes, it should. It is my spell and mostly my chi. I am not sure what would happen if I have to do anything more, as that would require more of your chi."

"Ano...why are they different colors?" Nuriko asked.

"Because they come from different people. The orange is Tasuki, for his brashness; the yellow Miaka, for her cheerfulness. Chichiri is blue green for his sadness and guilt. The colors are the basis of the chi."

At the reasoning for Chichiri's colors, Nuriko and Miaka gave a big laugh, Chichiri went chibi with a "Da!", and even Hotohori was chuckling. Nuriko finally gave the perplexed guardian a break. "Chichiri...blue from sadness? You've got to be kidding!"

Kizuka blinked at Nuriko, then looked at Chichiri. For the first time she looked at him as others saw him. //They can't see past the mask. I suppose that's good on one level, for not scaring people away, but he's going to have to take off the mask sometime.//

"Kizuka?" Miaka sounded worried when she didn't appreciate the joke.

Kizuka smiled a little while looking at Chichiri's anxiously churning chi. "Yes, I guess that does sound silly, doesn't it?" She relaxed when Chichiri's chi calmed down.

After another laugh or so the party headed out through Chichiri's kesa. Kizuka, concentrating on the threads before her, chuckled. "Chichiri needs to work on his landings."

* * *

"Something is wrong. They should have been back long before now." Nuriko agreed quickly with Hotohori's statement.

Kizuka bit her lip and averted her eyes. Something had gone wrong almost as soon as they left. She could feel Miaka's fear as if it was her own. So far nothing had happened that the seishi could not handle. She closed her eyes and concentrated on the threads before her. //Miaka still has hope, but they are separated. Chichiri is worried and trying to hide it and Tasuki...//

Here she was interrupted by a body slamming into her. "Gomen, Kizu-chan!" Nuriko chirped, then turned to the person who had been thrown into her, "Give me that flute!"

Once the stars stopped swirling around her head, Kizuka got up and saw Nuriko fighting over the flute. She sighed and smiled a little, then spoke up. "Hotohori-sama, I will step out a bit to be able to concentrate. Maybe I can figure out what is going on."

Mitzukake watched as she left then looked at the scuffle that continued on the other side of the room. "Your majesty has a lot of boyfriends."

Hotohori put his head in his hands, "My majesty has a headache."

Mizukake chuckled, then escaped the argument by walking outside. He looked at Kizuka, who was facing East and concentrating closely on the task at hand. He stopped a moment to wonder at the whims of the Gods. According to her own information, this slim little girl was the divine protector sent from Tai Itsukun to guard them. He had a little trouble believing that; not that he doubted her word, he just doubted her ability to protect seven people. She looked incredibly small and delicate in the oversize courtesan's robes she was wearing. Petite, she looked barely strong enough to stand against a strong wind, much less a Seiryu seishi. He glanced behind him as Chiriko ran out of the room apparently having lost the battle for the flute. He sat next to the boy to comfort him.

Kizuka glanced over at the pair. She was still worried about the trio in Koutu, but with them separated she could not do much. She strengthened Miaka's thread to keep a better lookout, and wandered over to the pair, attracting their attention. She smiled. "I see Nuriko grabbed the flute."

She could hear the tears in his voice when he responded quietly, "It was my mother's flute."

Kizuka winced a little as a few tortured notes escaped the room behind them. "That playing sounds painful. Perhaps we should put Hotohori out of his misery before Nuriko's 'soothing music' does it for us."

The boy cracked a smile at the comment, which caused Kizuka to chuckle quietly at the lightening of his chi. A few more notes drifted past, and Kizuka doubled over in pain, moaning softly. Even Mitzukake laughed at the playacting. However, Kizuka was no longer smiling. Mitzukake looked at her in concern and alarm as she clutched her arm and bit back a scream.

"Are you alright?"

It took Kizuka a few moments to separate the sensations coursing through her. It felt like her arm had been crushed, but when she touched it, the arm was whole. She cracked her eyes open a little to see Miaka's line pulse with pain.

Mitzukake was relieved when Kizuka opened her eyes. She swallowed and shook a little, then looked at him, still clutching her arm. "It's not my pain. Something is terribly wrong."

Kizuka stood and slowly walked back to the railing. She closed her eyes and concentrated on a thread. ~Chichiri!~

~Nani?~

~It's Kizuka. Listen, Miaka's been hurt. I can help you get back here through the barrier, but you need to get close together.~

~Where is she, no da?~

Kizuka concentrated. The pain increased when she touched Miaka, but she gritted her teeth and found Chichiri again. ~She's being escorted down a hall near you.~

~Arigato.~

She opened her eyes and turned around to find both of the others looking at her. She ducked her head, knowing she must have looked exceedingly strange. She drew in a quick breath and spoke. "Miaka's been hurt, but I can't do anything to get them back until they are closer together."

"What happened to you?" She could see doubt amongst the concern in Mitzukake's chi, and wondered at the cause.

"Apparently an unfortunate side effect of the chi bonding is reciprocal sensations. I was too closely connected to Miaka when she was injured, so I received some of her pain. I minimized the connection, so I only feel a little of it now." She winced as pain of an entirely different sort filtered through the door in the form of Nuriko's flute playing. "Perhaps we should put your flute out of its misery. Hotohori and Nuriko should know this."

With that she walked back into the room, leaving the others to follow. The playing got worse when she opened the door.

"Is Heika-sama soothed by my music?" Nuriko asked.

Kizuka saved the emperor from having to answer by interrupting with, "Hotohori-sama, something has gone wrong. Miaka-" here she was disturbed by a tug on one of the strings. "Gomen, but Chichiri is calling. Mitzukake, can you explain?"

She barely got an assent from the healer before she concentrated on the blue string before her. ~Chichiri? You're all together?~

~Hai, but we need to fimd Tamahome. Can you sense him, no da?~

~Hold on a minute~ It was hard, but she used the trio as a base with which to search the palace. Miaka seemed almost reluctant to let her search, which she found curious, but dismissed in the need to find the missing seishi. ~Chichiri, I can't sense another Suzaku seishi anywhere in the palace.~

~Alright, guess I'll have to search myself.~

~Is that safe?~

~I have a disguise of Nakago, no da.~

~That only works if you don't run into Nakago.~ She could hear his mental chuckle as he left the group. She smiled and opened her eyes to four people staring at her in puzzlement.

"Didn't Mitzukake explain it to you?"

Hotohori spoke up, "We only know that Miaka is hurt. What is going on?"

"They went to the arranged place, but something went wrong and they were separated. Miaka was injured, but they're back together and Chichiri is going to look for Tamahome."

"How-"

"That's all I really know right now. We will have to hear the full story from the others. Once they're together I think I can break through the barrier." She concentrated on the threads again, and gave an exasperated sigh. "Your priestess is very impulsive," she said wryly. "She has run off again."

Kizuka ignored the protests of the others as she called Chichiri and updated him on the situation. ~She's headed for the garden, probably where you were going to meet Tamahome.~

~Arigato, no da.~

She sensed Chichiri meet up with Tasuki and head for the gardens then she turned her attention back to Miaka. She felt her arm start to ache again, but pushed past that. Miaka was scared and heartbroken, confronting someone whom Kizuka did not recognize. The chi was twisted with the blood red of anger and hate; a churning murky mess that she could not look at for long. The man raised up his arm as if to strike her, and Kizuka cried out involuntarily. Miaka cringed back in fear, but Tasuki came between him and blocked the weapon. Kizuka could feel Miaka's terror rolling off her in waves, not fear for herself but for Tasuki and the attacker.

~Chichiri, what's going on? Who is that?~

~Tamahome. Apparently he is the one that attacked her, no da.~

~That's not Tamahome. He doesn't bear Suzaku's mark on his chi.~

Kizuka was broken out of her link by someone shaking her madly. She looked up to see Nuriko holding her. "What's going on? You stopped responding, then clutched your arm in pain, then gave a yell that nearly woke the dead!"

"There's no time to explain. Tasuki is fighting off an attacker, but they are all together, so I can finally do something to get them back." She spoke both mentally and physically, "Chichiri! I can get you back, I think. Get as close together as possible. I will bind your chi together for a moment, then pull you through a hole in the barrier. Tell me the instant you are ready."

She glanced around the room, then thanked the Gods for Nakago's plans. The imposter might be the only one who could help her lower or at least lessen the strength of the barrier. Nakago had taken great care to keep out Suzaku magic, but not Seiryu. "Chiriko, I'll need your help. The barrier is currently too strong for me to break a big enough hole for the three to get through. Play your flute to weaken the barrier." He nodded, picked up the flute from Nuriko and began to play.

Kizuka checked with her thread's again. "Nuriko, I'll need you help as well. Tasuki's getting quite a beating, so when I contact him close enough to make this happen, I'm not sure what will happen to me. If I pass out or don't come out of the meditation a few minutes after they get back, pull on this." She tossed him a glowing strand of her own chi. "I'll need all of your seishi strength to help."

She caught his nod and turned to the other two. "Mitzukake, be ready for when they come. Tasuki-" She gasped as she lightly touched his strand, "Tasuki will need your help."

Hotohori looked at the girl, assured and calm, and wondered how one so small could show such strength. She was hardly bigger than Nuriko, yet she could save them all. "How can I help?"

She glanced at him, and just for a second he could see the mask drop and was startled by the fear he saw. But the next moment it was gone as she smiled and scratched the back of her head. "Start praying, because I'm not sure any of this is going to work."

Kizuka felt the tug on Chichiri's string and turned toward the East. "Now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: So what do you think? I am taking a poll. Do you like longer chapters that you wait for or shorter ones more frequently?

Any comments or suggestions could be put in a review, or sent to muellerje@hendrix.edu. Please write constructive criticism. Much as I like "you rock" reviews, it does not help me improve my writing. I'll return the favor if you tell me about your stories in a review.

The next chapter should be out soon due to a tornado at Target (where I work) during which I was able to write more.