Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Some Things Never Change ❯ Some Things Never Change ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

I had to write this, because I haven't seen it done before, and if it actually hasn't been done, then it really needed to be done. It's just a sweet little one-shot fic. I'm not going to explain any more. Just read it.

Oh yes: I will get back to Scars soon. I just need to think a little more about it.

Disclaimer: I don't own FY.

Warning: THIS STORY IS SHOUNEN AI. If you don't know what that is/don't like it, I suggest you hit the back button on your browser. There are plenty of fics out there where guys like girls.

----Some Things Never Change----

We've pretty much stopped traveling around the country now. I get stiff so much more easily, and Chichiri's joints ache in bad weather. Still, every so often the old wanderlust will take hold of him, and I'll wake up one morning to find him dressed for a trip.

"Do you want to come, no da?" he'll ask, his one eye sparkling. Stupid question. I always come.

It's harder for us to walk for as long. Chichiri will teleport us wherever it is we want to go, and we'll stroll through the area for a while. We rarely stay away from home for longer than a day or two.

This time we're walking in southern Konan. The late afternoon sun is shining on Chichiri's silvered hair and his staff jingles merrily as it strikes the road. There is a broad smile on his face that highlights the laugh lines he's acquired over the years we've been together. It's a real smile; he doesn't wear his mask anymore. I had the pleasure of burning the damn thing about twenty years ago.

I'm smiling too, but that's no surprise. I don't care how sappy and cliched it sounds, it's true: When I'm with Chichiri, I'm happy.

***

I love walking in weather like this. It's sunny and warm, and there's a slight breeze blowing my bangs into my face. All right, that part's a little annoying, but still, the weather's nearly perfect.

Sure, a lot of things are different from when I first went traveling with Tasuki. More and more people use carriages rather than walking to their destinations. Instead of dirt, a few roads are now covered with flat stones. We sometimes get caught by someone who knows that we're Suzaku Seishi, and they want to hear about our adventures. But Tasuki's still with me, and that's what matters.

"Ne, `Chiri, I don't s'pose we could rest fer a while, could we?"

Looking back at him, I laugh a little; he sounds almost exactly as he did the first time he asked me that. In spite of the fact that his hair is shot with white and the skin around his mouth and eyes is more wrinkled now, he manages to have nearly the same expression on his face as well.

I look to the west and see that the sun is beginning to dip below the horizon, giving the sky around it a reddish glow.

"All right, Tasuki, no da."

I take his hand and lead him off the road and onto the grass beside it. I sit slowly, and pat the ground beside me. Tasuki sits down.

"We'll watch the sunset and then I'll take us home, no da. How's that?"

Tasuki smiles. "That's fine."

He slides his arm around my shoulders and I lean against him. "I love you, Tasuki," I murmur.

He rests his head against mine. "I love you, too, Chichiri."

Some things never change.

---owari----

I hope you liked it! I think it needed to be written; there's all these fics that talk about Tasuki and Chichiri being together forever, but how many people actually write about them when they're old? If they aren't killed in accidents/fights/etc., they are going to get old. And if they're together forever, then they'll grow old together. ::ramble ramble:: *ahem* Sorry about that. It just seemed like something like this needed to be written. I'm sorry if I didn't do too well.

Please tell me what you think!

~Ambika