Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ An interrupted Reunion ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
“Hotohori! I’m back!” Miaka calls as she steps into the Emperor’s chambers. Hotohori, his long hair let lose to cascade down his muscular back, turns in his stiff chair to peer at Miaka. A gentle smile crosses his features, eyes kind as he places a slender hand on the arm rest of the chair.

“It’s good to see your smiling face again, Miaka,” he replies, long imperial robes sweeping out around his legs. Tamahome stands back and to the right of Miaka, an indifferent look on his features as he watches the exchange between Miaka and the emperor. A desk sits before the Emperor’s chair, and on top of it sits a large mirror. Tamahome catches a glimpse of his own reflexion, and is surprised to see a scornful look on his features. He quickly averts his eyes back to the Emperor.

Miaka has her hands clasped delicately at her waist, a smile on her features. Hotohori gives her his full attention. “So what have I missed?” Closing his eyes as if anticipating this question, Hotohori turns back around to his desk, reaching out a robed sleeve to place a hand wearily on its surface. Miaka’s smile fades.

“We have had no luck in finding the location of the Shin Zao. Even though Taitscoon said it was in Genbou, our delegates haven’t reported anything,” he says in a solemn voice. Making a thoughtful noise, Miaka glances towards the floor, features bright. Tamahome clenches one hand into a fist.

“Could the seiryu warriors already have it?” Tamahome voices his concern, drawing a startled look from Miaka. Back stiffening at the thought, Miaka brings both hands up to her chest, glancing quizzically towards Hotohori. The emperor studies the surface of his desk thoughtfully.

“We have explored that possibility, and found it isn’t so.” A relieved sigh from Miaka is mirrored by Tamahome. Hotohori leans back in his seat. Small thin lines web out from his eyes, showing his weariness. Lines that hadn’t been there the last time Miaka checked. “There have been regular attacks on the castle by Kouto assassins, so we think they have not found it either and assume we already have it. That would explain the attacks.” Miaka glances worriedly at the Emperor’s reflexion in the brass mirror. ‘Regular attacks? Oh I hope everyone is ok!” Thinks Miaka.

“The thing I don’t get,” Hotohori says, once again leaning forward in his chair, his back to Tamahome and Miaka, “is why wasn’t the Shin Zao at Genbou? Taitscoon is the creator of the universe, so she should know where everything is. The only thing I can think of to explain this coincidence is someone’s intervention.” Opening his eyes once more, Hotohori rises to his feet and turns towards Tamahome and Miaka. Tamahome stands very still, watching Hotohori with a calm expression. He seems to comprehend everything.

Miaka’s features aren’t as promising. A strained look is on her face as she tries to piece together what the emperor had told them. A bland look shines in her eyes. “So, you’re saying…” she swishes her arms around in the space in front of her face as if she was creating the scene with her hands. Chuckling to himself, Tamahome steps forward and places his hands on Miaka’s shoulders, stilling her movements.

“He means that someone must have gone in and moved the Shin Zao without our or Taitscoon’s knowing,” he says softly into her ear. Grinning sheepishly, Miaka nods her head, the delicate tussles of her bangs brushing against her cheeks.

“Oh yeah, right. So what you’re saying is…” she crosses one arm over her chest, while with the other she taps her chin thoughtfully, “…we have to find this person who moved the Shin Zao, and figure out why they did it. And umm…where we can get it!” She announces, once again raising her arm in triumph. She isn’t as dumb as she looks. An exasperated look crossing his features, Tamahome folds his arms behind his head, peering down at Miaka.

“It’s not as easy as it looks,” he points out. Miaka blushes, while Hotohori smiles.

“You are indeed correct, Tamahome,” he says with a nod. Tamahome sticks his tongue out at Miaka. In response, Miaka sighs, eyes closing in defeat. Hotohori grins. “Miaka, however, also has a point.” Spirits soaring, Miaka turns towards Tamahome, back stiffening with a dignified sigh as she returns the gesture. Tamahome merely shrugs. “Now, the first thing we should do-“

“Your highness!” A high, shrill voice calls as Nuriko bursts into the room, trailed by a panting Tasuke. Hotohori turns towards them, a frown on his features. His long hair fans around him at the slight movement. His gaze is stern.

“This is a private meeting, Nuriko. I told you not to disturb us,” he says in a scolding tone. Finally catching his breath, Tasuke sighs deeply before resting his thumbs against his belt. Nuriko bows her head respectfully with her eyes closed, hands clasped at her chest.

“Begging your pardon, sire, but I thought you might find this important. Come, quickly!” she cries, rising to her feet before turning towards the door. Tasuke had already beat her to that point, hovering in the doorway before gesturing them on.

“Come on, hurry!” he says in a gruff tone, before disappearing around the corner. With a curt nod, Nuriko hurries after him, ushering Miaka, Hotohori, and Tamahome from the room. They go out of the courtyard into the streets themselves, before leaving the city altogether.

“Where on earth are you taking us, Nuriko?” Hotohori demands, looking dignified as he is shuffled along by a cross dressing power house. A sulking look is on his features. A vein pulsing in her temple, Nuriko fwacks him in the head with the flat of her fist.

“Get over it, you big baby. We’re almost there.” Miaka remains quiet as she is shuffled along. From the moment she’d stepped into the world of Konan, something had tugged at her. Now, the tug was even stronger, and it was growing stronger with each step they took. Tamahome, seeing the intense look on Miaka’s features, frowns.

“Miaka?” he asks. Blinking in surprise, Miaka glances over and up at him with a smile.

“Yeah, what is it?” she responds. His frown deepens.

“Are you alright?” Hotohori watches her as well, though Nuriko is too busy keeping up with Tasuke to notice. Features’ shifting suddenly, Miaka gives them one of her horribly fake grins, waving her arms around cheerfully.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine, don’t worry about me! What would I have to worry about? We’re just taking a walk outside Konan’s capital!” she chuckles nervously. Hotohori laughs in response to her pleasant little comment, but Tamahome isn’t fooled. Turning back to gaze at the path before them, Tamahome keeps half an eye out for Miaka, not at all convinced everything is fine. She appears more absent minded than usual.

Ahead of them, Tasuke halts before a wide oak tree that’s peak soars high above the rest. Nuriko slows her pace as she reaches the flame haired youth, stopping at his side. The long sleeves of her robes obscure her arms, but the hems are drawn together in worry. Hotohori halts next to the two of them, while Miaka steps forward to see what they are all gazing at.

Resting against the sturdy oak is the petite figure of a young woman, about Miaka’s age. Her lithe form rests comfortably upon the spongy grass, and the slight light that filters through the trees illuminates her body in a sort of simple radiance. Her eyes are closed, yet they seem to be pinched as if she was dreaming something dreadful. Her long, mousy brown hair looks clipped and uneven, and spills out of a ribbon to frame her alabaster features. The long trusses curl all the way down to the small of her back, though the girls’ bangs are cut short to brush lightly against her high cheekbones.

The rest of the group stares at the girl in wonder. Miaka soon finds out why. She is garbed in nothing but a plain gray robe, and even that is in mere tatters. And yet, there seems to be something else that surprises them, for they aren’t gazing at the state of her clothes. They stare in awe at her delicate features. Miaka glances sidelong at the small group, frowning.

“What’s the big deal? So there’s a girl who’s taking a nap,” she says, gesturing towards the girl as if that was explanation enough. Tamahome takes his gaze away from the girl to peer at Miaka.

“Don’t you see it?” he asks her in a slightly annoyed voice. Miaka blinks, glancing back at the girl.

“See what?” This time it is Nuriko who responds to her query.

“Her features. They don’t belong to anyone I’ve seen in this world,” Nuriko says, voice slightly confused as she glances over at Miaka. The priestess soon realizes they are all gazing at her. An unreadable light lit their eyes. Feeling slightly nervous, Miaka places a hand to the back of her head and grins unsteadily at them.

“What?” she asks again, features hopelessly lost. Nuriko glances back towards the young girl, a frown marring her features.

“Could she be from your world, Miaka?” That catches Miaka off guard. She and Yui were the only ones who knew about the book, to her knowledge. Turning her full attention to the figure doubled over in front of the oak, Miaka squints her eyes and takes a step forward. She can feel the air around the clearing change suddenly. Apprehension hangs in the air, as the group behind her awaits Miaka’s final observation.

With a hearty sigh Miaka steps over to the girl, kneeling down and taking the small hand in her own. The fingers are calloused and chapped. Miaka figures the girl was used to hard psychical labor, and smiles. It was good to see someone, especially a girl, pulling her own weight in the world. But that wasn’t the reason for her inspection. Lightly shaking her head, Miaka places her thumb to the girls’ wrist, feeling for a pulse.

A weak beat responds to Miaka’s delicate touch. Now that she’s close enough to see the girl’s true features in the dim light, Miaka can definitely tell she doesn’t belong to this world. Sighing, Miaka rises to her feet and turns back to the group, one hand clasped at her chest.

“You’re right, Nuriko,” she replies to the earlier question. Nuriko nods, gaze fixed upon the girl at Miaka’s feet. Hotohori continues to gaze at the girl as well, features thoughtful. Tamahome watches Miaka with a mixture of curiosity and realization, and Tasuke glances towards the girl. His expression seems different from Hotohori’s and Nuriko’s, somehow. Miaka can’t quite place her finger on it.

“What is she doing here?” Hotohori asks in a gentle voice. Miaka shrugs, turning back to the girl once more.

“I don’t know,” she replies, gaze locked on the girl’s chest. It rises laboriously, before dropping back down in ragged spurts of breath. It’s the clipped rhythm of sleep, if an unsettled sleep. Kneeling down, Miaka places a palm to the girl’s forehead. She stirs, a soft sigh escaping her parched lips. Miaka frowns. “She’s burning up, and needs help. Let’s get her back to the palace.” Nodding in unison, Tamahome and Tasuke step forward to help pick the girl up. Despite her firm muscular build, she’s as light as a feather and in the end it’s Tasuke who carries the girl back to the palace, trailed by Miaka, Tamahome, Nuriko, and Hotohori.