Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Despairing departure ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Instead of melting away, the anger continues to grow and swell, like a whirlwind literally tearing through the room. Nakago, eyes wide for the first time since his arrival, takes a few steps back. The barrier around them disappears. But Zoku has a barrier of her own now. It is golden in color, and snaps with a vengeance. Zoku’s face, contorted into a mask of rage, turns towards Nakago. The look in her eyes sends a shiver down his spine.

“When I say stop,” she emphasizes the word, and like an arrow it flies towards Nakago, striking him in the arm. Grunting, Nakago clutches his arm. It burns with a sharp pain. “…I mean stop, damnit!” She cries. Her anger, like a thousand tiny arms, reaches out, encompassing Nakago. The general, caught off guard, is soon enveloped in their grasp. The breath is forced from his lungs by their iron grip.

A cry from Tasuke startles Zoku. Whirling around, Zoku sees Chichiri and Tasuke on their knees, clutching at their throats. The invisible hands grasp them as well. Eyes widening, Zoku steps forward, outstretching her hand. “No,” she commands softly, but her anger is no longer her own. It is wild and ferocious. Distant. Zoku no longer has control over these stranger powers. “I didn’t want this to happen!” she cries, trying to move towards Tasuke through the whirlwind. The battering winds try forcing her to her knees, but diligently she struggles on, lips tightening into a thin determined line. But it seems as though her very presence hurts Tasuke and Chichiri, for they cringe as she steps forward.

Stopping her advance, Zoku places a hand to her chest, eyes wide. “I-I…Stop! Please stop! This wasn’t supposed to happen!” she wails, eyes closing in dismal hope. She never wanted Tasuke to get hurt! Or his friend with the weird spiky blue hair! She wanted to help them.

“Z-Zoku…” The soft gruff voice of Tasuke penetrates through her seething anger. Opening her eyes, Zoku glances over at the red haired youth. He’s kneeling on the ground, barely keeping himself from falling by propping himself up with an arm. One eye is closed against the pain of her anger, and the other is squinting shut.

Zoku’s eyes waver. “Tasuke. I can’t stop it. I dunno what happened. I was just-“A loud, shrill note cuts off her words. Jerking backwards, Zoku glances towards the door. There stands the youngest Suzaku warrior, only about 13 years of age. His soft sandy brown hair flutters madly in the rampaging wind. A small leaf flute is pressed to his lips, and the trilling note is coming from the instrument. The large man, Mitsukake, stands at his back, gazing in on the scene with a mask of detachment.

A splitting headache consumes Zoku instantly. Grunting in pain, Zoku squeezes her eyes shut, clamping her hands over her ears. Still, she seems to hear the noise through her hands. It is bone chilling, and sends a dull throb throughout her entire body. It seems to penetrate her very mind. A dull, aching pain. ‘It hurts! Oh god, it hurts!’

Slowly but surely, the tornado loses its ferocity, until it’s merely a swift moving wind. As Zoku is forced to her knees by the pain of the music, the wind turns into a soft breeze. Prying one eye open, Zoku glances over at Chiriko, panting. The boy continues to play, despite her obvious pain. ‘Why? Why is he trying to hurt me?’ Zoku asks in confusion. She tries to tell herself it’s just to save Tasuke and Chichiri.

The breeze melts away. The end of it, a weak wisp of air, brushes gently against Zoku’s cheek. Crying out against the pressure in her head, Zoku willingly falls to her knees, instead of trying to stumble to her feet. Finally, the golden barrier around her disappears. Diligently, she fights the effects of the music, gritting her teeth against the pain.

But the instrument continues to play that one, high, ear splitting note. Eyes narrowing, Zoku forces herself to glance towards Chiriko. The pounding in her head intensifies. The young boy is watching her with saddened eyes. Mitsukake, with an expressionless look, watches her as well. Tasuke, recovering slightly from the ferocious wind, staggers to his feet. A drop of blood splatters to the floor.

“Chiriko, stop!” he calls. The boy ignores his warning. Chichiri takes in a deep breath, before he begins coughing. His lungs ache from the loss of air.

“W-what…are you doing?” Zoku gasps, addressing the young boy with the flute. She was barely able to speak the words. “What the hell…do you think you’re doing!” Chiriko frowns. The pain intensifies, and with a cry Zoku hunches over, her entire body quivering. No! They were her friends…weren’t they?

‘If they were my friends, they wouldn’t try to hurt me.’ A smooth, blue streak flies towards Chiriko. Startled, Chiriko barely manages to dart to the side as the energy hurtles past. Mitsukake moves aside as well, watching Nakago.

The pain in Zoku’s head stops abruptly, though a dull throb remains. Moaning against the pain, Zoku slumps to the floor, her entire body quivering. Nakago steps forward, a hand outstretched towards Chiriko. A blue barrier forms around the general and the shaking girl. Panting heavily, Zoku watches as Nakago walks over to her and kneels down, holding out a hand to her.

“You see, my lady? They are not your friends. If they are your friends, then why are they trying to hurt you,” Nakago says in a gentle voice. The ache that had sunk into Zoku’s bones slowly fades. Swallowing her sorrow, Zoku grasps Nakago’s hand and rises to her feet. “Are you ready to go now?” He asks. With a final glance at the Suzaku warriors, Zoku nods firmly.

Tasuke lurches forward. “Zoku, wait!” he barks out. Startled, Zoku turns towards the fire haired youth. Tears form in her eyes. “Don’t go! He’s lying!” The man calls in desperation.

“No, you’re the one who’s lying!” Zoku retorts in anguish, a single tear sliding down her cheek. “You aren’t really my friends. You don’t even care about me. All you care about is summoning Suzaku.” Her features turn to stone. “Hell, I don’t even know you. For all I know, you’re the reason I can’t remember anything. You’re the reason I showed up here, half dead!”

“No, it’s not like that, not at all!” Tasuke replies. “Zoku, Nakago is powerful-“He cuts off what he’s about to say with a frown. A strange light enters Zoku’s eyes. Slightly apprehensive, Tasuke leans away from the girl in the blue barrier.

“Oh.” Its more of a sigh than a word that parts Zoku’s lips. Her eyes flash. “I see. You were trying to keep me from going with Nakago, because you’re afraid of what we can do together. Selfish ass. “She closes her eyes, forcing out a few more tears. “I can’t believe this. I can’t believe I was fooled that easily! I actually thought, for the first time in my life, that I had a friend.” Tasuke’s head jerks backwards at the girls harsh words. With a sharp sob, Zoku places one hand in front of her eyes to hide her tears.

“My lady,” Nakago says, holding out a hand. Zoku shakes her head, the sobs racking her entire body

“Go,” Zoku commands Nakago in a harsh tone, as Tasuke starts limping forward. “Go. Now!” She cries. Letting his hand fall back to his side, Nakago nods. Nakago raises his hands once more, the rune glowing.

“Zoku!” Tasuke roars, leaping forward. In a blinding flash, they are gone. The only thing that remains is a small golden pendent that clatters to the floor at their departure.