Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Compassion? ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slipping silently into the room she shares with Yui, Zoku strides over to her bed, careful of the delicate object tucked in her arm. Little Pedru had trilled a chorus of lovely notes for her all the way to the room. Some were joyful, for simply being alive, other apprehensive, as a shadow had slipped across the walls. Most of all, however, they were curious. Sympathetic. The hawk could sense Zoku’s sorrow.

“Here we are, baby,” Zoku announces, setting Pedru down on the bed. The hawk strains against the shawl wrapped around his majestic form. Brushing a hand gently against his exposed, fluffy belly, a smile broadening across her features. Furious that he continues to be held down by this soft thing wrapped around him, Pedru struggles around on the bed, trilling at Zoku.

Chuckling softly, Zoku sits down on the bed next to the hawk, slowly untangling the shawl from around him. Pedru, finally free of his restraints, wriggles around on the bed. His strong wing flaps around, but his wounded wing hangs limply at his side. A frown marring her features, Zoku rises to her feet and hurries over to the dresser near her bed. Taking down a basin and a jug of water, as well as a towel and some herbs and bandages, Zoku hurries back to the bed.

Setting the basin and vase on the ground, Zoku sets the herbs and bandages on the bed next to Pedru. Having since stopped his struggling, Pedru watches Zoku closely as she unbinds the strip of cloth around his wound.

The sight that beholds her vision causes her to wince. The gash, clearly visible through the lack of feathers in the bird’s wing, stretches across the length of Pedru’s wing. The blood had stopped, but Zoku fears she’d need to sow the wound shut.

“Kyoko,” Zoku calls. Instantly her lady in waiting hurries forward with a curtsy. Without taking her eyes off of Pedru, Zoku asks the girl for a thread and needle. Curtsying once more, Kyoko hurries off to comply with her wishes. As she waits, Zoku smiles down at Pedru.

“You know, me and you aren’t that different Pedru. Both lost. Both alone. Both frightened.” A slow grin spreads across her features as Pedru cocks his head to the side. It was as if he could understand her. “The only difference, however, is your nature. You’re so rebellious, so wild, so free. And me? I’m just so…” Zoku’s voice trails off, gaze traveling around the room. “I dunno what I am. But whatever it is, it’s not good, I’ll tell you that,” she mutters beneath her breath.

Pedru trills a consoling tone, clicking his beak together sharply. Forcing a toothy smile, Zoku ruffles the bird’s forelock with her finger. Trilling, Pedru nips playfully at her finger. “You’re a darling, my sweet Pedru.” Her gaze wavers gently as she strokes Pedru’s head. At first, the hawk nips at her hand in actual warning. But then he calms down, and soon closes his eyes in delight as Zoku’s gentle hands caress his crest.

“And yet…I wonder, dear sweet Pedru. Will you leave me? I know it’s selfish of me to want to keep you with me forever and ever, but I can’t help it.” A sad smile crosses her features. Pedru’s eyes fly open as he peers at her with gentle eyes. “You’ll probably leave after your arm gets better.” She sighs sadly. “Oh well. Until that time, I’ll just enjoy my time with you.” The hawk warbles pleasantly at her.

Just then, Kyoko returns, carrying with her a needle and thread. Relieving the maid of her burdens, Zoku smiles gratefully at the woman before dismissing her for the night. With a tentative smile, Kyoko curtsies before hurrying from the room. Turning back to Pedru, Zoku takes the needle and places the tip of it in the fire of the candle sitting next to her bed. Once it is sterile, she threads a bit of string through the loop, before setting the needle on the bed next to them.

Reaching down for the basin at her feet, Zoku pours a bit of the water from the vase into the tub. Dipping the cloth in the water, Zoku waits until it is soaked through before thoroughly cleaning out the wound. Satisfied with her work, Zoku picks up the needle once more before bending over the hawk.

Tenderly, she places her fingers around the wound. As gently as possible, she pushes the two ends of skin together, before piercing the skin lightly with the needle. Instantly Pedru rebels, flapping his good wing ferociously with a series of clicks and shrill whistles.

With a frown, Zoku calms the hawk by placing a finger tenderly to his beak. Snapping at the extended finger, Pedru doesn’t exactly catch any skin. It was merely a threat. Instead of moving her finger, however, Zoku strokes the hawk’s beak.

“I’m not going to hurt you. You have to trust me,” she says, once more pressing the two lose flaps of skin together. Very gently, she pierces the skin with the needle once more. This time, other than shaking his tail feathers, Pedru remains still. Breathing in a sigh of relief, Zoku threads together the wound. After a while, she finishes.

Leaning back to examine her handy work, Zoku brushes a finger over the wound quite tenderly. Pedru, eyes sliding closed, drops to sleep. Blinking to keep herself awake, Zoku lets lose a mighty yawn before cleaning up the materials. Pushing everything to the ground, Zoku curls herself around Pedru before drifting to sleep. One hand rests gently on the hawks’ belly.

Yui arrives a few moments later to see Zoku snoring on her bed. Curled gently at her belly is Pedru, his head resting gently against her arm. His chest rises and falls with an easy rhythm. Yui frowns.