Gall Force Fan Fiction ❯ Another Journey, Another Story ❯ Chapter 16

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gall Force: Another Journey, Another Story
Part Sixteen
 
Catty sat in the center seat in the computer room, the purple haired communication officer's expression even more blank than usual. A cable went from a hidden port beneath her ear to the computer terminals, screens at three of the terminals covered with programming code.
 
"You know," Karin sighed, the black haired engineer rubbing at her eyes tiredly, "this may take even longer than I thought."
 
Davies looked up from her own terminal, giving her boss a wry smile. "And to think, we've been at it two days and have barely ran through a third of her operating system," the sandy haired woman commented.
 
Allaine looked mildly apologetic as she said, "I'm sorry I haven't been more help, but my bridge duties...." The dark brown haired commander shrugged slightly, running a hand tiredly through her short hair.
 
"It's understandable," Karin flashed her a smile, "you're busier than any of us, working with Sara to incorporate the newcomers into the crew."
 
A chime announced there was someone at the computer room's door, then Jame entered carrying a loaded tray. "I thought you could use a break," she smiled, the green haired woman putting down food and drinks for them safely away from the terminals and electronics.
 
"Great timing," Davies got up to get a glass, drinking down the stimulant happily then grabbing one of the sandwiches.
 
"Thanks," a smiling Karin grabbed another sandwich absentmindedly and took a bite while studying another page of code, then she blinked in surprise. "My favorite," she looked up at Jame curiously, "how did you know?"
 
Jame felt herself blushing slightly, "You usually have someone grab that for lunch, so...." She looked at the statue still form of Catty and frowned slightly, "Is she asleep?"
 
Kari looked up at Jame from her seat, the two close together. "She's in a diagnostic mode for now," she explained as Jame curiously looked over her shoulder at the computer code, "we'll revive her once we're finished debugging."
 
Allaine had to smile slightly, watching the engineer and younger woman interact. It was clear to her that Karin was more than just kind to Jame, and more importantly Jame had begun to hesitantly respond to her as well. Making a quick decision she got up, "I'd say we've made enough progress, do you want to call it a day?"
 
"Sounds like a plan," Davies snagged a second sandwich before getting up to leave. "Boss, I'm on shift next in engineering, you've got a few hours free."
 
"Thanks," Karin replied, feeling a moment of amusement at how obvious the other two women were being, but didn't say anything about it. Besides, it gave her a chance to be alone with Jame for a little while. "Are you on duty soon?" she asked Jame curiously.
 
"No," Jame shook her head, the simple uniform jumpsuit she wore spotlessly clean, "I was just going off duty when I remembered you were still here."
 
Karin hesitated, then summoned up her nerve. "I kind of missed lunch earlier," she asked, "would you care to join me in the cafeteria for something?"
 
Jame nodded, "I'd like that."
 
Carefully hidden behind a nearby corner Davies watched the two head out of the computer room, smiling in satisfaction as they talked together happily. It wasn't that she really wanted to match-make, exactly, it was just that those two were so inept, they wouldn't get anywhere without help.
 
"What do you think you're doing?" the cool voice came from behind Davies.
 
Jumping slightly in surprise Davies quickly turned around to see Allaine still there, the ship's second in command looking mildly amused at her spying. "Just seeing if we were successful, ma'am," she answered her honestly.
 
Allaine actually chuckled softly. "Fair enough," she admitted, the two heading off in the direction of the lifts. "Try to keep this news from reaching Meris if you can," Allaine said dryly, "I understand she's had some interest in Jame, too."
 
Davies had to shake her head, "I'm always impressed in how much you know about what's going on in this ship."
 
"My spies are everywhere," Allaine shrugged casually, a slight smile teasing her lips. They reached the lifts and Allaine waved her in first, "I'll see you later."
 
"Ma'am," Davies tossed off a casual salute as she descended towards engineering.
 
'That woman doesn't take anything seriously,' Allaine thought as she took the lift up to the bridge, 'thankfully.' That kind of irreverence was refreshing, as long as the young woman didn't break with the command structure. Exiting onto the bridge Allaine swept the chamber with her eyes, quickly assessing the situation.
 
Ensign Rakka sat at navigation, the pink haired former militia officer calmly handling the controls. Danielle stood beside Hari, the little redhead looking a bit nervous as the tactical officer ran the young woman through drills on that station. The only other new arrival was Sara, the golden haired lieutenant-commander who had suddenly found herself leading watches on the bridge.
 
"Attention! The Commander is on the bridge," Sara tossed off a textbook salute, smoothly rising to her feet.
 
"At ease," Allaine answered calmly as Sara shifted to the second in command seat and Allaine took the captain's chair. "Status?" she asked crisply.
 
Sara sat on the edge of her seat, the only real sign of her nerves. "Bridge situation is normal," she reported, "we're running drills while maintaining standard readiness."
 
"Good," Allaine answered then asked, "has engineering passed up the plans to move the SD power core yet?"
 
Sara passed over the data pad, "There are three different plans to move the Star Destroyer power core, actually."
 
"Karin's usual thoroughness," Allaine nodded as she scrolled through the report. Along with the technical details there were notes on crew disruption and other possible problems, something Karin normally wouldn't include, and jumping to the end she noted that Jame had contributed to the report. 'She compliments Karin nicely,' Allaine thought.
 
"I assume we'll need to pass this on to the captain for authorization?" Sara asked softly as conversation and work continued around the bridge.
 
"The final decision is Captain Gail's," Allaine answered simply. A faint smile, "Ideally I'd like us to drop out of hyper, blow the engineering hatches and haul the SD core around with a shuttle but it's not exactly practical right now."
 
Keeping her voice down Sara asked, "The Paranoid aren't that close, are they?"
 
Dropping her own voice Allaine answered, "They've shown a remarkable ability to find us, in all honestly. In theory our drives are better, but we don't seem to be able to gain much of a lead."
 
Sara sighed softly, "Too bad we can't get farther ahead, then."
 
Allaine hesitated a moment, "One of the crazies down in Engineering have rigged up a engine modification, supposedly for greater speed. If I bring up activating it to the captain again, will you support me on it?"
 
"What are the risks?" Sara asked curiously.
 
"Davies designed it," Allaine answered, "she's a drive field expert, apparently, and says that the system will allow faster transit in hyper. Talking to her the downside is the risk of losing the drive field if Engineering doesn't keep a handle on the energy flux."
 
"So the drive will be more temperamental," Sara noted. She smiled faintly, "I don't know what influence my vote will have, but I'm willing to try."
 
"You're on the command staff," Allaine said seriously, "of course your voice counts."
 
"This is going to take some getting used to," Sara conceded, "my last commander was a very spit-and-polish type." She smiled in a slightly self mocking sort of way, "As you can probably tell."
 
"You'll adapt," Allaine said confidently.
 
Keeping one eye on everything that was happening on the bridge Sara added, "I still can't quite get over how large this vessel is."
 
Allaine blinked. knowing that Lady Grace was really just a small cruiser, but then she understood. 'Compared to that underground command center Sara and her people had been living in, the Grace must seem like a palace,' she mused.
 
To be continued...