Gall Force Fan Fiction ❯ The Day After ❯ Discovery ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Gall Force: The Day After
By Fred Herriot
gorgo@kwangju.net
**** **** ****
Edited by E.B. Kushnir
kush1@iaw.on.ca
**** **** ****
Based on the "Gall Force" series created by MOVIC.
**** **** ****

PART NINE - DISCOVERY

"Good afternoon," Catty answers the phone. "Catty Ross speaking."

"Hi, Catty," a strange woman's voice calls over the line. "It's Denise Schultz."

The android smiles on recognizing the voice of Derek's friend from Halifax. "Hello, Denise. Can I help you?"

"Geez, you must be making money now," Denise laughs. "No, you can't help me, Catty. But are you free tonight?"

Catty quickly runs the question "are you free tonight?" through her cultural idiom subroutine. It was a question which was normally asked when someone wanted someone to do something, usually go on a date. "No, I am not busy this evening, Denise. Why?"

"I heard that Derek and the boys are bringing their lovely ladies to the pub tonight. Want to come along?"

"I do not see why not," Catty smiles.

"Great! See you, gorgeous," Denise replies, then hangs up.

Catty stares quizzically at the phone. As she continued her studies about Terrans, she discovered that there were certain males and females who preferred the intimate company of their own gender. Usually classified under the generic term "homosexual," they were split into gays and lesbians. Was Denise a lesbian? If so, how should Catty react? Hanging up, Catty proceeds to her room to change.

Undressing, she stares at herself in the mirror. Two nights before, Lisa had introduced her to sexual intercourse, both in girl-girl and girl-guy format. It had been an insane experience. Her nervous system was a mix of sensory nodes with real organic nerves, carefully constructed to perfectly replicate a real Solnoid's nervous system. Catty had discovered how sensitive her system was when Lisa's hand brushed her clitoris. It was as if every neuroprocessor in her body had catastrophically malfunctioned all at once! That did not describe the wonderful sensations she felt when their waiter friend John had penetrated her. Catty had come to realize why Lisa had become addicted to sex. It was the most pleasant experience she had ever undergone.

She realizes what was missing from her life: a companion. All her organic friends had a companion or the potential to gain one if they wished. Why should she be left out? Then a brutal realization dawns on her. She, along with her sisters, had been built to outlast anything conceivable. Her organic parts could regenerate themselves thanks to her micro-fusion reactor-replicator, which could generate new material to replace dead flesh. It also worked on her non-organic parts. She could live indefinitely, if given a constant supply of food and oxygen. Denise was not so blessed. Her organic systems would start to fail within a couple of decades. She would grow old and die while Catty would remain young, immortal.

"I cannot be her lover," Catty gasps as tears flow down her cheeks. The only way this could ever have a HOPE of working out was that the android would have to reveal to the Terran what she was right away. But would Denise accept that, or panic and flee? Derek had warned that Terran history was rife with incidents where people, on confronting the unknown, gave in to fear and panic in lieu of reason. Did Catty have the right to force such a shock on Denise, who seemed a nice, wonderful person? She did not...and that realization hurt!

"I HATE THIS!!!!" Catty's hand lashes out, shattering the mirror!

The android gasps as she realizes what she did. Questioning meows are then heard. Catty turns to see Pericles and Archimadies staring quizzically at her from her bed. She smiles as she holds her wounded hand up, watching as Solnoid cybergenetic science worked its wonders in repairing the lacerations. "You, dear friends, can at least have mates of your own," she reaches out with her good hand to stroke their heads. "I am denied that right."

The cats purr, sensing their friend's sadness...

* * *

"Are you sure the manager knows that Amy and Miti are coming, old chap?" Chet inquires.

"I told him," Derek sighs as he manoeuvres his car into the pub's parking lot. "He'll have all the booze locked up."

"Geez, Miti can probably outdrink half the students at Dalhousie," Lufy snorts as she gets out of the car.

"It's their planet, Lufy," Rabby reminds the Attacker. "Their rules."

"Yes, Mother!" Lufy moans. "Even if some of them don't make any sense?"

"Even if some of them don't make sense," Rabby nods.

The other cars come up to deposit their passengers. Shildy had surprised everyone by coming in a kimono, a special present from Akira. They were also surprised to that Catty chose to accompany them. Given the android's touch of self-consciousness towards her uniqueness, her willingness to attend stunned her friends. "Can I not enjoy myself?" Catty inquired.

A concerned Shildy watches the lavender-haired woman she had come to depend upon as friend and confidant over a dozen battles. Something was eating at Catty. Normally, she was calm and cool, the measure of a reserved, disciplined intelligence officer. But something had shattered that demeanor. Had it been Catty's meeting with her sister? No, this change of behaviour had come on more recently. Catty had briefed the others about Lisa's warnings, but Eluza decided that there was no need to become alarmed. They were all tired after their long conflict. They needed to gather their wits before contemplating new campaigns.

"Catty!!!" a familiar voice cries.

Catty smiles as Denise Schultz runs up. Not working tonight, the red-haired Charlottetown native was dressed in a loose-fitting light wool sweater, a tank-top T-shirt and an ankle-length flowing skirt, a look Shildy once heard described as "bohemian" or "ethnic." The waitress leans over to kiss the android on the cheek. "You look great tonight, Catty," she smiles.

"Thank you," Catty nods as she allows Denise to take her into the pub.

Shildy sighs. She now realized what had happened to her friend. Denise was now romantically interested in Catty. "You don't know what you're getting yourself into, Denise," the intelligence officer mutters to herself.

"Something wrong?" Akira stares quizzically at her.

"Hopefully not," she smiles at him.

The others proceed inside. Signs warning that this was a dry night were posted on the pub's walls. A large place in the middle of the room had been cleared for a dance floor. A band's equipment had been set up by one wall. Despite the lack of alcoholic beverages, the place was jam-packed. "Hey, there you all are!" the pub's manager walks up. "Nice and dry, just like you asked, Derek."

"We appreciate it, Glenn," Derek nods to him.

"And there you two are," Glenn turns to Rabby and Eluza. "Care to entrance us like the Sirens do to unsuspecting mariners this evening?"

Both Solnoids laugh, then nod. Over the past while, Rabby and Eluza had discovered a hidden talent for singing. Terran music was quite easy to master and its sheer variety astounded and challenged them. Further, the other "Starleaf" crewmembers had begun to pick and play at the instruments, although Glenn usually had either professional musicians or volunteers from the crowd at his beck and call should the need arise.

Rabby and Eluza mount the stage, basking in the ovation from the crowd. Their popularity astounded both of them. "Thanks," Rabby calls out to the crowd. "Well, anyone in the mood for dancing?"

Cheers answer them. Some students from the university music department, along with Patty and Mal, took control of the other instruments. "Let's start with a little of Mr. Sedaka's repertoire!" Eluza takes electric guitar in hand, then starts strumming the first notes of "Laughter in the Rain."

"Want to dance?" Denise asks Catty.

Catty stares at the waitress. There was want in her eyes. The android finds herself nodding, then is nearly dragged onto the dance floor by the excited Denise. I do not believe this is such a good idea! Catty muses to herself as they begin to dance...

* * *

"Look at them," a hissing voice echoes from inside a small van parked in front of the pub. "Dancing and singing away like this was some sort of festival. We're still at war!"

"Patience," another voice cautions. "The Paranoids will be found soon enough. But first, we must deal with the traitorous slime in our own camp...especially her."

Feral eyes narrow as they gaze at Rabby...

* * *

Catty sighs as she and Denise sit down at a booth to relax. Eluza and Rabby had started a storm. The dance floor was clogged with people. "I can't believe how good your friends really are," Denise claps as the group swings into a rendition of "The Immigrant."

"They are indeed," Catty smiles as she reaches over to hold Denise's hand.

The waitress blinks, then leans her head on the android's shoulders. What am I doing?!! Catty demands to herself as she tries to pull her hand away. However, Denise was applying considerable pressure to keep the hand in place. Catty feels shame flush her face. How could she shatter this woman's innocence by revealing what she was?

"I can't believe how good of a dancer you are," Denise huskily whispers in Catty's ear.

"I learned it from my partner," Catty stares at her.

"Why, thank you," Denise smiles.

They stare at each other, then passionately kiss. Denise blinks in happy surprise at that gesture. "Let's go for a walk."

Catty numbly nods. Was she malfunctioning? She could not allow this to continue! She cared for Denise too much to allow her to suffer from a broken heart...

Oh, Mother, am I falling in love with her?!

The two proceed outside. "Whoo!" Denise laughs, then embraces Catty. "Boy, this is wild! C'mon!!"

The two proceed down the street. Behind them, the van moves off to trail them from a distance. Ahead, Catty feels herself succumbing into the comfortable feeling of holding Denise's hand, walking down the street. Perhaps they were going to the waitress' apartment, on a street bordering Point Pleasant Park at the south end of the central part of Halifax. If they get there, what then? Would Denise try to seduce her? She had to end this now...but did she want to?

"Catty?" Denise hums.

"Yes, Denise?"

"There's a truck following us."

Catty blinks, then moves to look. "Don't look," Denise hisses. "Oh, shit, what a time for this to happen. Probably a bunch of drunk bastards looking for a pair of girls to be their love toys. Keep walking."

The android nods. Rape. The forcing of sexual intercourse on an unwilling person. Usually male-instigated, Chet warned them. If they were indeed just a pair of fools out to harm them, Catty could deal with them. A parting present to Denise. My only act of love, the android shakes her head. "Denise?"

"Yeah, Catty?"

"I...I love you."

Denise blinks. "Wow, and this is our first date."

Catty wanted to cry. "But because I love you, I will have to let you go."

"What?! Why?!"

"I..."

The waitress stares at her. "Oh, God! You got AIDS!"

Catty nearly falls over laughing. "No, I am not diseased."

Denise lets out a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness! But... what's wrong?! Don't you like me?!"

"Of course I like you, Denise..."

"Then tell me what's wrong."

This was insane! They were being pursued by malcontents and Catty was trying to sever emotional contact with Denise, especially when part of her desired to enhance that contact. The Solnoid pauses, then tries a neutral tact. "Denise, even if I told you the truth, you would think me either insane or that I'm insulting you by lying."

"Catty, I know in my heart you would never lie, not to me or anyone else," Denise holds her hands. "And I don't think you're crazy."

"Thank you," Catty nods, realizing that the moment of truth had arrived. Holding up her right arm, she sighs. "Denise, I will shock you."

Denise looks down. "What?"

Catty taps a point on her arm, allowing a circuit hatch to pop open. The waitress nearly chokes on seeing the complex wires and circuitry...and Catty's arm was not fake! Taking a moment to take that image in, she looks dead ahead. "I didn't see that."

"I warned you that I would shock you."

Denise nods. No denying that. She looks again. She had never seen electronics that complicated, not even on "Star Trek: The Next Generation!" And Catty was right beside her. Further, the artificial musculature simulating real muscles looked as if they were flesh and blood. And the bones, while metal, were properly shaped lower arm bones. Further, the conduits in the arm seemed to fill the same function as blood vessels. And were those nerves connected to some wires?

She looks ahead. "Catty, what are you?"

"I am an android," Catty closes the circuit hatch.

Denise blinks. Why did she ask that question? "I...can see that...but how?"

"How what?"

"How could you exist?!" the waitress looks at her. "Nothing I know of can create something like you...unless...oh, God...!"

"Yes," Catty nods. "I am not from Earth."

Denise takes a moment to take that in. At first trying desperately to deny it, the evidence was overwhelming. Catty's mannerism, her formal speech, her quirky naive innocence. Everything confirmed what Catty had revealed. "I can see what I'll tell my mom next time I'm in Charlottetown," she wryly smiles. "'Gee, Mom, I just fell in love with an alien android.'"

"And the next time I see my mother, I will tell her that I was forced to break a friend's heart when I realized that I would outlive her, I could not bear offspring with her and I would remain frozen in time and be forced to watch her die," Catty looks down.

Denise gasps. Her problems were insanely simple in comparison to Catty's. Looking at the woman beside her, the waitress blinks on seeing tears flow down her face. "This is too whacky," she looks ahead, reaching over to take Catty's hand, then blinks on feeling something. "Catty, why do I feel a pulse?"

"I have an internal systems regulator which works in the same manner as your heart," Catty explains.

"And you can cry...and sweat...and, oh boy!" Denise shakes her head. "Oh, Catty, I'm so sorry I forced you into this."

"Please, there is no need to apologize," Catty smiles. "I do care for you, though."

"As I care for you," Denise leans over to kiss her cheek. She glances at the truck out of the corner of her eye. "They're still back there."

"I can hear their engine," Catty nods. "Denise, do you have your mirror and lipstick?"

"Yeah," Denise pulls out the requested items from her purse. "What do you intend to do?"

"Ascertain how many of them are there," Catty lifts the mirror up, acting as if she was darkening her lips. Her eyes switch to infra-red mode as she detects two life-forms in the vehicle. Both were females. Curious. Altering to low-level light format, she concentrates on their faces. Both were bald...and had a very familiar tattoo on their foreheads!

What were the Solnoid Central Guard doing here?!

Catty completes darkening her lips, then hands the items back to Denise. "They are not would-be rapists," she announces.

"They're not?!" Denise blinks, then gasps. "Oh, thank heavens!"

"They are far worse than that."

The waitress gulps. "I was afraid you'd say that."

Catty slips her arm around Denise's. "I don't have time to explain everything. This I will tell you. I come from a world which was destroyed long ago in a terrible war. I and many others like me came to Earth because it was the only place which could sustain our form of life. However, I recently learned that there are certain among us who would wreck untold havoc on this world. Believe me, Denise, I did not want this to happen."

"And the people behind us?" Denise gulps.

"They, I believe, are some of those malcontents."

"Oh, boy."

The two approach the entrance of a dead-end street. Quickly glancing down the street, Catty thinks. "Denise, which direction is Point Pleasant Park?"

"South," the waitress tenses.

"Excellent," Catty nods, switching all power reserves to arms and legs as she scoops the waitress in her arms, then runs at full speed down the dead-end street.

The van breaks as the Guardswomen realize what is happening. Too late. Catty crouches, then leaps into the air, skyrocketing out of sight before she could be fired upon. "Damn it!!!" one of the women snaps.

Denise nearly passes out from the pressure on her mind as Catty clears a kilometre in one leap. The android adjusts herself as a bed of trees at the north end of Point Pleasant Park race up. Catty slams into one, snapping the top of it like a twig breaking, then drops through several layers of branches before punching a fair-sized hole in the ground! "Ouch!!!" the android yelps as she drops off her feet, her leg servos screaming at her.

Denise rolls out of Catty's arms as the android nearly passes out, trying to make sense of what just happened. "Oh, my head..." she moans, then shakes her mind clear as the android's pained features come into her vision. "Catty, are you okay?!"

"No," the lavender-haired woman moans. "I think I did myself a considerable injury."

"Did you twist your legs?!"

"No, my skeletal structure is intact, but many of my leg muscles are damaged," Catty pants. "I'm afraid that you'll have to carry me, Denise. I do not weigh much more than a normal human my size. Please hurry; the Central Guard are still a threat."

Denise nods as she scoops Catty into her arms. "I never thought our first date would be like this," she grunts.

"I will permit you to seduce me when we are safe," Catty smiles.

The two plunge into the forest, clearing away from the crash site. In a minute, they come into the clear near a Martello tower. "Yes!" Denise smiles as she carries Catty inside, ascending the darkened stairs to the upper level.

In a minute, they relax in the observation gallery. Denise places Catty down, then sits beside her, glancing out a window. No one in sight. "What's going on here?" she inquires. "Who is this Central Guard?"

"They are...they were...the guardians of my people's leader, Journey," Catty grunts. "My mother...my template, Catty Nebulart, took command of my people after our final battle. Journey was dead by this time. The Central Guard believe my mother's actions to be nothing short of high treason, and by appearances now will not stop until we are punished."

"These jokers sound like Hamas or the I.R.A.!" Denise gulps.

"That is an understatement, Denise," Catty moans. "I realize that my words still confuse you. But, I'm afraid we may not have the chance at present for me to better explain the situation."

"Got that right," Denise nods.

Reaching into her own purse, Catty pulls out a small device shaped like a computer mouse. She begins to press the lone control in a steady, rhythmic motion. "What are you doing?" Denise looks curious.

"Summoning assistance," the android grits her teeth.

* * *

Shildy winces as she feels a vibration in her ear. Three small jolts, three long jolts, three small jolts. Morse for SOS, the international distress call. The intelligence officer looks around. Everyone was here...except Catty! "She's in trouble!" Shildy gasps, then moves towards Lufy to appraise the Attacker of the situation...

* * *

Denise and Catty relax in the Martello tower, holding hands. The android keeps her ears tuned to hear any possible movement in the forest around them. So far, nothing. Perhaps the Central Guard had retreated. Doubtful. "Do you think they're still around?" the waitress whispers.

"I cannot hear them," Catty quietly responds. "But be assured, I know their kind. They are fanatic to the extreme."

Denise looks outside a small window. No one in sight. "Now, I think it's time I get the whole story from you."

Catty nods, then quickly explains the situation between the Solnoid and Paranoid. How, when weapons of mass destruction were created, the war lost all sense of control. The battle of Sigma Narse, the great amount of survivors and the peace between their races. The Solnoids' migration to Earth, shifting forward three million years in time to find a world full of sentients waiting for them. The integration of Solnoids in Terran society. The news of malcontents intent on destroying the peaceful life so many wanted. At the end of it, Denise lets out a low whistle. "Wow! You mean I could have known a bunch of your people all along?"

"No, I believe we are the only ones in Nova Scotia," Catty shakes her head.

"'We?!'" Denise looks confused, then her eyes widen. "You mean...Rabby, Eluza, Lufy, Shildy...they're all...?!"

"Yes. We all came at the same time."

The waitress shakes her head. "My God."

"Are you upset?" the android looks nervous.

Denise bites her lip. "Confused, not upset. I mean, what you people went through...it's more than understandable that you just want to live your lives in peace. But...I guess I'm upset at my own people for not having the guts to take what could be coming to us from out there."

"Are you upset at me?"

"What for?"

"For lying to you?"

"You didn't lie to me, Catty," Denise smiles. "You just didn't feel the time was right for you to tell me...that is until I fell in love with you."

Catty stares at her. "And do you love me now?"

"More than ever."

They drift into each others arms, passionately kissing...until an angry voice challenges them from outside. "Android! We know you're here!! Show yourself!"

Catty and Denise stare outside. "Oh, shit, they brought friends," the waitress mutters.

There were now a half-dozen of them in the clearing beside the tower. One of them had what looked like a tricorder in hand. "They came this way!" she snarls to another in Solnoid.

"Android!!" their leader snarls, holding a machine pistol in hand. "You have our word that the Terran with you will be let go!! Our business is not with them!! Surrender yourself!"

Catty blinks, then throws her voice so perfectly, a ventriloquist would be awed. "And if I refuse?!"

The Central Guard spin around, their weapons turning towards a point in the forest. "There!!!" one yells.

The machine pistols fire. Fortunately, all are equipped with silencers, hence the noise is reduced to a burst of air. "Oh, God, they are crazy!" Denise moans, shuddering fearfully.

"Please, Shildy, come quickly," Catty mutters to herself.

After a sustained fire, one of the Guardswomen move towards the forest. Sweeping it with her weapon's barrel, she snarls. "Nothing! Curse Nebulart and her pathetic doubles!! They're all a bunch of sorceresses!!"

Suddenly, a bunch of shadows fall on them from behind. They form into the "Starleaf's" crew plus Chet, Akira and Oskar. Before the Guardswomen knew what was happening, they were all disarmed and knocked to the ground, the other Solnoids moving to tie them up. "I do say, ladies," Chet picks up one of the machine pistols, "...don't you know this country has laws against using weapons like this?! And with these," he pulls off the silencer. "Tsk-tsk."

Eluza walks up, taking a pistol and aiming it at the leader of the Guard. "Talk!! What are you doing here?!"

The woman angrily glares back. "Do you think we'll permit any of you to live?!" she sneers.

By that time, Catty and Denise have removed themselves from the tower, the android leaning on the waitress. "Guys!!" Denise waves to get their attention.

"Denise! Catty!!" Amy gasps, then runs over to help her friend. "What happened?!"

"She took a leap and forgot where she was jumping to," Denise grunts.

"Idiot!!" Amy snarls as she starts to examine Catty's legs. "You're an android, but you're not Wonder Woman...oh!!" she catches herself on realizing who else is there.

"It's okay," Denise smiles. "Catty told me everything."

Rabby walks up. "Looks like you're a part of us now, Denise. Sorry to crash your sense of self like this."

"It's what I deserve for falling in love with an android," the waitress smiles. "Will she be fine?"

"Her micro-fusion reactor will start building new parts for her legs right away," Amy gently shifts Catty's damaged muscles around to better align them. "Her self-repair systems are the finest Solnoid technology ever produced. She'll be back on her feet in a day or so. She'll be hungrier than anything after that."

"Give me a couple servings of poutine," the android sighs. "That should do for me."

"Watch it with the junk food," Denise grips Catty's hand. "We don't want you to get fat, you know."

"I shall keep my figure as slim as possible," Catty chuckles.

Derek finishes tying up one of the Guardswomen, then turns to Eluza. "So what do we do with our punk-rocker friends here?"

"We can't turn them over to the local constabulary," Chet shakes his head. "Perhaps we should call Catty's sister and see if her Ranger friends would like a crack at them."

The captured Solnoids pale. "You're right about that, Chet," Rabby walks up. "I'm sure the Rangers would love to make these microbes talk...like tell us where the rest of the conspirators are!"

The Guard leader sneers. "It'll be a cold day in Hell before you'll ever make us talk, traitor!" she growls, then bites down on something.

Shildy sees it right away. "Poison!!!"

The captured Solnoids jerk, then drop dead to the ground. "Merciful God!" Maurice gasps. "What on Earth did they just do...?!"

Eluza kneels beside the Guard's leader. Opening her mouth, she finds a shattered capsule inside. The faint smell of burnt almonds drifts from the mouth. "Careful you don't breathe that!" Oskar warns. "That's cyanide. It's lethal."

"Ghastly," Chet shudders.

"They chose suicide over the shame of surrender," Akira sighs. "Admirable, even for them."

"But...why?!!" Denise cries. "They didn't have to die!!"

"That's how determined people like them are," Shildy shakes her head. "So, now what?!"

"Find their vehicle," Eluza orders. "I want it searched from stem to stern. It might have clues as to where their friends are. If we can, we'll hit them as soon as possible."

"The war doesn't end, does it?" Amy looks sad.

"For some, no," Shildy nods.

"What about the bodies?" Derek muses. "We just can't leave them for the Halifax Police to find. Their friends will be sure to learn that you're in Nova Scotia if the news got public."

Lufy snaps her fingers. "I know the perfect place to hide them. The Blossom!"

"You mean deep-six them?!" Dave stares at the Attacker, then shrugs. "Hell, why not! The sharks could use the snack."

"I'd feel sorry for them, then," Jack looks up.

"For them?!" Dave points to the Guardswomen.

"No, the sharks," Jack smiles. "They'll get indigestion."

Everyone nearly falls over laughing...

* * *

A day later, the "Enterprise" makes a quiet trip to the Blossom's gravesite. Catty, dressed in her spacesuit and with her legs back at full operation, takes the weighed and canvas-covered bodies of the six Central Guard warriors to be buried in the escape pod's cargo bay. At the trawler's bow, Lufy and Miti keep lookout. By the bridge, Patty, dressed in a white monk's robe with the Solnoid insignia on one side, administers the Sensualist prayers for the dead. "Merciful Mother of all Creation, take these lost daughters of Malthus unto Your bosom. Show them the light which they lost sight of in this world, teach them the error of their ways and allow them to join their sisters in the Eternal World, to live in peace and harmony until the end of time and beyond."

"Amen," the Christians mutter, several crossing themselves. Nearby, Akira and Oskar call upon their own faiths to pray for the dead.

Finally, after Catty returns to the trawler, Dave directs her back to land. Derek walks up to Lufy, who sits on the guardrail, allowing the spray of the Atlantic to splash over her. "You okay?" he gently inquires.

"I never had reason to believe anything other than in life and death," the Attacker shakes her head. "In a sense, I'm no different than those we just put down there. I was as fanatic as they."

"That's right," he straightens himself, gripping her shoulders warmly. "You WERE as fanatic as the Central Guard, Lufy. But you're better than they are. You learned how much harm fanaticism can do. They couldn't learn."

"Yeah," she leans back, drawing his arms around her. "You know, there's a fourth Attacker credo. It's one I came up with."

"What's that?"

"'The one who lives at battle's end is the one who wins...for she can learn more.'"

"That's true," he nods, kissing her forehead. "After all, it's a strong belief here on Earth that the only time you really stop learning is the day you die."

Lufy nods, tears in her eyes. "Oh, Mother, will I ever be free of death? Will the killing ever stop?"

"Not until the day comes that all people learn that there are other ways to deal with problems than resorting to arms," Derek reaches up to brush her tears away. "And that might not be for a while to come yet. But for you, maybe soon. There can't be many of people like them around," he nods aft to indicate the Guardswomen they had just confronted.

"Peace," she sighs. "Maybe it'll finally come. Then again, maybe not."

"The born cynic."

"Hey, it's kept me alive all this time, buster!"

Both chuckle as they stare ahead towards home...

* * *

"They came on their own?" Eluza looks surprised.

Catty nods. In the android's hand is a small book emblazoned with the Solnoid national insignia. "That's correct," she nods. "This group of the Central Guard were actually not even looking for us. No one in the bands of malcontents, I believe, is aware that we are now on this planet. They were just here on vacation when they spotted Rabby near the University...and of course, the Central Guard have not forgotten nor forgiven what happened over Chaos."

"We were lucky," Rabby sits back in her chair. "This time."

"Next time, it could be a different story," Shildy nods. "So now what?"

Eluza looks down. She had avoided this decision for some time, despite Lisa's and Barbara's warnings that a confrontation was coming. Peace was so close, but not close enough. "We will have to prepare," she stares at her two senior officers. "I want both of you to get your crews ready. Run them through all the equipment, update them on anything they need to learn."

"And what about us, pray tell?" Chet muses.

The Solnoids turn to the Terrans. "What does that mean?!" Spea looks surprised.

"Good God, Spea, if you think you're going off to face the lions alone, you're terribly mistaken," the Englishman snorts. "I agree that only Oskar and Akira have experience when it comes to the arts of war, but we can learn."

"We'll have no choice but to learn," Derek adds. "People like the Central Guard are lunatics of the first order. They won't hesitate to come after us just to get at you."

The "Starleaf's" captain looks sad. "I had hoped to avoid this, but by the looks of it now, we've got no choice," she turns to Rabby and Shildy. "When the chances do arise, get them checked out on the equipment, too. Especially the Bronzs and the struggle suits. They offer the best protection against incoming fire."

"Right," both commanders nod.

"There's also one thing we should do," Lufy stands.

"What's that, Lufy?" Amy looks curious.

The Attacker walks over to the small bag containing her Solnoid clothing, then grabs a bottle of gin. "I say, whatever is she doing?" Chet scratches the back of his head.

Everyone follows Lufy outside. She proceeds to the beach, finds two small logs, puts them together, then lays her clothing atop it. She even draws out her Attacker medal, tossing it into the pile. Emptying the bottle of gin over it, she strikes a match, then drops it. The clothing immediately catches fire. Lufy watches the black clothing disintegrate in the flames.

"Why?" Rabby's voice softly inquires.

Lufy smiles. "This is my planet now."

The other Solnoid nod, then proceed back to the apartment. In minutes, a raging bonfire burns away the last personal vestiges of everyone's life on Malthus and in space. Lufy smiles as she watches the flame. "Take up our quarrel with the foe," she mutters to herself, then finds herself drawn into Derek's embrace.

She stares at him. He smiles, nodding understandingly. "The dead of Flanders would approve," he gently whispers.

Lufy smiles, then kisses him...

* * *

To be continued...