Gargoyles Fan Fiction / Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Wings of the Night ❯ James and Dylan ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimers: As much as I may want to claim ownership of these two productions, I can’t because both Harry Potter and Disney’s Gargoyles belong to a whole lot of different companies that I can’t remember the names of at the moment. Any characters that appear in this fic that are not a part of either original series, belong to me so don’t take them without asking first.

Timeframe: The Harry Potter part of the storyline in the prologue takes place two months after Voldemort’s attack on October 31, making Harry a year and five months old; while the Gargoyles part takes place four months before Alexander Xanatos is born.

Summary: (Gargoyles crossover) What if, James and Lily survive Voldemort’s attack, and Harry’s twin brother, Dylan, is chosen as the BWL? After a major fight with James over Harry, Lily divorces him and takes Harry with her, and moves to America to start a new life with the help of some relatives.

Glossary:
§§ §§“ - Parseltongue

Wings of the Night
Chapter 1: James and Dylan
By: Sakura Lisel
======================================

~ -July 29, 1991, Potter Mansion, England

James Potter sat in his living room chair, sitting in front of the fireplace in his home, and he watched the flames flicker before him, as he took a sip of wine from the glass he held in his left hand, as he let out a loud sigh.

James was a wizard and a confirmed bachelor, who lived alone in the stately manor with his nine year old son, Dylan Potter. Dylan was considered the wizarding worlds savior because he had managed to do what no one else had been able to do by defeating the dark lord, Lord Voldemort when Dylan was only fifteen months old.

Dylan had been part of a set of twins born on the night of July 31, 1981, and Dylan had an older brother named Harry, who was older than Dylan by ten minutes.

Nine years ago, after a major fight with his now ex-wife, Lily Evans-Potter, over how he had been treating Harry since Voldemort’s attack, Lily had packed up her things and left while taking Harry with her to who knows where, after divorcing him, and James hadn’t heard from either one since then.

I can’t believe it’s really been nine years since Lily’s left me. I wonder how both Harry and her are doing these days,’ James thought silently to himself as he let out a another loud sigh of irritation, as he leaned back in his chair, as he let out a loud sigh as he reached up with one hand to rake his fingers through his messy black hair, ‘and I haven’t heard a word from her in all this time. Well hopefully when it comes time for the boys to go to Hogwarts I can see her when she brings Harry to Diagon Alley...


~-Flashback~-

-~January 16, 1982-~

James woke up that morning to the sound of his alarm clock ringing, and automatically went through his usual routine of getting ready for work at the ministry as an Auror. Grumbling a bit, he reluctantly climbed out of bed and headed for the door that led into the adjoining bathroom to shave, and take a quick shower, before leaving the bathroom wearing only a towel.

As he toweled himself off, his mind wondered back to the previous nights events, as he remembered how angry Lily had been when both Dumbledore and himself had approached her about sending Harry away so they could focus all their time on Dylan, and her response to their suggestion caused him to feel uneasy.

He still couldn’t believe it when Lily suddenly announced that she wanted a divorce from him, when the two men had refused to listen to her when she refused to agree to sending Harry away, saying that she was fed up with how everything was going between them, and how he’d been treating Harry ever since the attack, and that telling her that it would be good for everyone involved to give Harry away to her sister of all people was the last straw.

Lily had ranted and raved at the two men for nearly over ten minutes or more before she turned away from them and hurried out of the living room and stormed upstairs to her bedroom, and the house echoed with the sound of her bedroom door being slammed shut behind her.

James knew that the two of them had been having problems in their marriage ever since the night Voldemort attacked their family and Dylan had been declared their world’s savior, but despite her accusations towards how he treated the boys, he truly didn’t see anything wrong with what he was doing in how he handled Harry, and their ensuing arguments had led to the two of them now sleeping in separate bedrooms for the last couple of weeks, and barely saying more than a few words to each other when they were in the same room.

As far as both James and Dumbledore were concerned, young Harry was simply in the way of what needed to be done to ensure that Dylan was prepared for the chance that Voldemort ever came back, but Lily had disagreed, saying that Harry deserved to be as much a part of their family as Dylan was.

When Dumbledore brought up the subject of sending Harry away to live elsewhere, saying that he would be a distraction for Lily and James to deal with, one that could put him in danger if he stayed with them. Dumbledore also told him that because both James and Lily would need to dedicate all of their time preparing Dylan so that he’d be ready in case Voldemort return, Harry would probably wind up growing up neglected, and could become jealous and resentful over the attention Dylan would be receiving over the years, and that sending Harry away would ensure that wouldn’t happen.

After hearing the explanation, James had readily agreed to the plan, deciding that sending Harry away was a good idea, especially if it was to help the Light Sides cause, and believed that Lily would agree once they explained things to her, but after last night James had become worried over what Lily had told him she was going to do.

He didn’t want to believe that she was serious about what she had said, and hoped that after a good nights sleep she’d have calmed down enough to have changed her mind about leaving him.

I can’t believe that Lily’s being so unreasonable. What’s she thinking by saying she wants to divorce me?’ James thought angrily to himself as he pulled on his robes over his normal clothes as he got ready for work, letting out a loud sigh of irritation as he straightened his robes for a moment while standing in front of a full length wall mirror, ‘ I’m sure that our marriage hasn’t gotten so bad that it’s come to this! Maybe after she’s cooled off a bit, she’ll be willing to listen to reason about Harry and stay here with me and Dill.

As he entered the kitchen to eat a quick breakfast, he had expected to see Lily in there feeding the twins like she always did, but was surprised to find one of the house elves feeding Dylan his breakfast, with Lily and Harry nowhere in sight.

A quick glance at the stove revealed another house elf was busily fixing breakfast on the stove, but what really caught James attention was that the meal looked like it was only enough for just one person instead of two, and the kitchen table was also set up for one person.

Worried now, James turned towards Quistis, the house elf that was feeding Dylan and demanded to know where his wife and older son were, and why wasn’t Lily there taking care of Dylan instead, when Quistis happened to look up from what she was doing and spotted him as he approached.

“Good morning Master James! How did master sleep last night?” Quistis exclaimed happily, smiling brightly at her master as she set down Dylan’s food bowl and pointed a finger at one of the dining room chairs to push it back for him “Please take a seat, and breakfast will be ready for you soon.”

“Quistis, why are you taking care of Dylan this morning?” James demanded as he reluctantly took a seat in the offered chair, as he watched as Quistis returned her attention towards Dylan who was now making angry noises at her for having stopped feeding him, “Where’s Lily and Harry, and why isn’t Lily taking care of Dylan instead?”

“Mistress Lily packed up all her belongings and left late last night with master Harry, master James.” Quistis said simply as she spooned what was left of Dylan’s baby food into his mouth, and set down the food bowl and zapped up a wet face towel to clean up Dylan’s face, “She left me in charge of taking care of Master Dylan’s needs until you woke up this morning to give me further orders.”

“She did what?!” James shouted, his outburst startling everyone in the kitchen and causing Dylan to burst into loud sobs, “Why the hell did she leave! Did she tell you where she was going?”

“The mistress didn’t tell me why she was leaving, just that she had to go last night,” Quistis said simply, as she tried to calm down Dylan, before glancing over at the elder Potter for a moment, taking in the shocked look on his face as she continued speaking, as she pulled out the letter Lily had left behind and handed it over to James, “and she told me to give this letter to you for you to read.”

James snatched up the letter out of Quistis hands, and after scanning the single line on the envelope he recognized Lily’s handwriting. Quickly standing up, he pushed back his chair, and nearly knocking it over as he stood up, and turned to leave the kitchen, and headed for his study.

Once inside, he walked over to his desk and sat on the other side, as he tore open the envelope and pulled out the letter that Lily had left for him.

Dear James,

By the time you receive this letter, I will be long gone. I’ve packed and shrunken all of my things and I’m taking Harry with me and getting a room at the Leaky Cauldron, and I will be contacting a lawyer to start divorce proceedings as soon as possible. Don’t bother coming to the Leaky Cauldron to try and talk me out of leaving you, because I have made up my mind and absolutely nothing you say or do will make me come back to you after what you and Dumbledore tried to pull last night.

Both you and Dumbledore have gone too far this time by even suggesting that I send even one of my sons away, especially to my sister of all people! You know what Petunia’s like, and yet you’d still agree with Dumbledore and try and insist that we send him to her family just to get him out of the way?! I absolutely refuse to send either one of my babies to live with Petunia, or anyone else for that matter, for any reason. He deserves to be raised and loved by his own family and since you don’t seem to want him anymore, then I will take him away and raise him on my own if I have to.

I was almost willing to give this marriage a second chance for the boys sake, but after last night I absolutely refuse to continue living with a man who thinks it’s okay to abandon one child in favor of another, just because the other child is more famous. If this is how you treat Harry now, then I’m terrified to even think of how you would treat any other children we might have had in the future if we had remained together.

I know that it may seem like I’m doing exactly the same thing here by leaving you and Dylan, but I’m not. I love Dylan just as much as I love Harry and would take him with me if I thought I could, but I know I would have problems if I tried taking him with us thanks to his new role as the Boy Who Lived, so I’m leaving him with you to raise by yourself as you see fit, while I will raise Harry by myself.

As I told you last night, once the divorce goes through I plan to take Harry far away from everything that’s going on. I won’t fight with you over custody over Dylan, as long as you leave Harry and myself alone.

So I’ll end this letter by saying goodbye and good luck on whatever the future brings you and Dylan.

Sincerely,
Lily Evans

After reaching the end of the letter, James could only stare in shock at the parchment he was now clutching tightly in his hands, as he reread the letter two more times to make sure that he hadn’t read it wrong, before letting out a loud string of curses as he tossed the letter onto the desk and hurried, as he rushed out of the library and back upstairs to the room Lily slept in only to find it empty with the bed already made and looking like it hadn’t been slept in.

She can’t be serious! She’s pulling a prank on me just to get back at me for last night.’ James thought frantically to himself, as he refused that Lily had truly left him, as he started flinging open the closet door and drawers only to find them empty of her belongings, ‘She’ll probably be back in a couple of hours and we’ll have a good laugh and...

As he looked around, he turned around to look at the bed again, and his eyes widened in shock as he spotted Lily’s wedding ring lying on the nightstand, and quickly walked over to the nightstand and snatched it up and stared down at in disbelief for a moment before turning on his heel and storming out of the bedroom and back downstairs.

Once he was downstairs once more he hurried back into his library, while yelling for Quistis who met him in the library with a loud pop just as James was getting a fire started in the fireplace.

As soon as the house elf showed up before him with a loud pop, James told her to continue watching over Dylan until he returned, hopefully with Lily and Harry in tow, and the house elf quickly nodded her head in acknowledgment to his command before disappearing once more.

Making a quick firecall to the office, James called in sick and told them he wouldn’t be able to come into work that day because of a family emergency that he needed to deal with immediately, and he was given the day off instantly.

Once cutting off the connection, James grabbed a hold of some of the Floo powder and tossed it into the fireplace while shouting out the Leaky Cauldron’s name and disappeared in a burst of green flames as he left for the Leaky Cauldron to retrieve his wife.


Once he had reached the Leaky Cauldron, he instantly went to the owner and asked if Lily had checked in, and was told that she was booked in one of the rooms upstairs. Once he received her room number, he hurried upstairs and started pounding on the bedroom door for a few minutes before Lily flung the door wide open.

Lily had still been sound asleep in bed after a busy night with Harry had kept her up until late that morning, and was cranky as hell to have her sleep broken by whoever was pounding on the door, and after casting a quick silencing spell around Harry so that the noise wouldn’t wake him up, she got out of bed and threw on her bathrobe and marched over to the door to tell off whoever was bothering them that early in the morning.

As soon as she flung open the door, with a scathing remark on her lips for her intruder, her words had died on her lips as soon as she saw who it was on the other side of the door, and would have slammed the door shut again in James’s face if he hadn’t stuck his foot in the doorway just as it was about to slam closed, which caused him to let out a loud yelp of pain, which caused Lily to pull the door back home in order to release his foot.

As soon as the door was opened, James forced his way into the room before Lily could close it on him again, and he demanded to know what she was thinking by leaving in the middle of the night like that with Harry, and demanded that she return back to the Potter mansion as soon as possible, which Lily immediately refused saying that she had left him and had no intention of going back with him for any reason.

The two of them launched into a full scale argument, which lasted over an hour, with both of them arguing back and forth over why she had left in the first place, with James telling her that she was being unreasonable about everything, and even going on to tell how selfish she was being by leaving both him and Dylan behind like that and all because of Harry.

He told her that if she was so against sending Harry to the Dursleys, then he was sure that one of their friends would be more than willing to take the boy in and watch over him until they can come and take him back in a few years once Dylan was properly prepared and wouldn’t need all of their attention anymore.

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, James realized that they were the wrong thing to say as he remembered what Lily’s letter had said, when he suddenly felt a stinging pain hit him across the left side of his face where Lily had just slapped him.

As he stood there, Lily pulled out her wand and threatened to hex him into the next millennium if he didn’t leave her hotel room that minute, and informed him that she was contacting a magical divorce lawyer later that day so that they can end their marriage as soon as possible. Not long after that confrontation, James received the divorce papers a day later, along with a court date hearing for who gets custody of the boys.

At first James had refused to sign the divorce papers, refusing to believe that she would really willing to go through with the whole thing, stalling for more time, as he continued to make multiple attempts to try and talk to Lily again to try and get her to see reason and come back to him, but Lily refused to talk to him at all. If she saw him in Diagon Alley, she made it a point to avoid him at all costs.

Even Remus, Sirius and Albus had tried to help him out, by going to talk to her, but she ignored all of their attempts and refused to back down in her decision to leave James and take off with Harry.

After a full week and a half of having his attempts at reconciliation with Lily and get her to listen to him were all met with failure, James reluctantly finally realized that she was serious about wanting to leave him, and unwillingly signed the divorce papers and sent them off to the Ministry, and within hours the two of them were officially divorced in the eyes of the magical world.

At the custody hearing, James didn’t put up a fight as he agreed to grant Lily full custody over Harry, to raise him in any way that she wanted while he gained custody of Dylan.

Before the hearing was over, the judge ordered him to sign a magically binding contract that Lily’s lawyer had drawn up saying that he wouldn’t try to contact Harry or her, unless Harry himself decided that he wanted to meet with him and actually invited him to wherever it was that they were living, or to even try and take Harry back for any reason in the foreseeable future, James stood to risk losing custody of Dylan to Lily if he broke what was listed in the contract, while Lily also signed a similar contract stating the same things in Dylan’s case.

Despite Lily’s protests that she didn’t want anything else from him, James insisted on paying child support so that she and Harry would have some financial support over the years, and opened up a bank account in Gringotts for Harry in Lily’s name, with a monthly deposit of ten thousand gallons into the account every month so that Harry would have some money to buy school supplies when it came time for him to go to Hogwarts.

After the court hearing ended, Lily had let James say goodbye Harry while she tearfully said goodbye to Dylan, before she finally turned away and simply walked out of their lives with Harry in her arms, and James never saw either one again since then.

~-End Flashback~-


After the divorce, Lily seemed to have simply disappeared without a trace with Harry, and no one in the UK wizarding world knew where she could have gone, except for Remus Lupin who still kept in contact with her after she had left. Remus was only one of the Marauders who still cared enough about both Lily and Harry to want to still be a part of their lives, and was in contact with Lily via Owl mail, and he wouldn’t tell anyone else where she was if they asked him.

During one of his stops to Gringotts James to make a deposit in the account he had opened up for Lily and Harry, he discovered from the Goblins that Lily was having all of the money he deposited to the account be automatically transferred to another account that she had opened near where ever she was now living.

At first James had thought that Lily might have been using the money after all if she had it transferred, but he later got back a bank statement from the goblins that showed that despite the money getting transferred to another account, the statements always showed that the amount of money stored in the vault never decreased no matter how much money was put in it by him, which meant that Lily never touched even a knut of the child support money.

Nearly all of Lily’s other friends in the wizarding world had either been killed during Voldemorts reign of terror, or while any others had turned their backs on her completely for leaving James and Dylan behind.

After the divorce had been finalized, James two remaining friends, Sirius Black and Remus Lupin, moved into the Potter mansion to help James take care of Dylan and train him for what was expected of him when the time came. Both James and Sirius spoiled Dylan rotten, giving the toddler anything he wanted, and distracting him whenever he asked about Lily and Harry, until Dylan finally stopped asking after a two months, seemingly having forgotten about his missing mother and brother as his father and uncles spent all their time with him.

Nearly half a year had gone by after Lily and Harry had left home, James had gotten into a fight with one his long time school friends, Remus Lupin, who had been named as Dylan’s godfather at the boys birth, and the werewolf was upset at how things had gone between him and Lily, and Remus had openly disapproved of how he had chosen to raise Dylan.

During the argument, Remus had announced that he had never really approved over how both James and Sirius had handled the whole situation with Lily and Harry, and had really told Sirius off about how he had been treating Harry in the months since Voldemorts attack, telling the dog animagus that he should be ashamed of himself for neglecting his godson, and treating him like he wasn’t important anymore, before really laying into James about his own treatment over Harry.

As Remus yelled at James, Sirius stepped in and stood up for James, telling Remus that there was nothing wrong with how they were raising Dylan, and that Remus had been overreacting, and the trio wound had argued for hours afterwards.

In the end, the fight had reached the breaking point in the former Marauders relationship, as angry words were exchanged between the group and their friendship was ended. Remus decided to cut his loses with the situation, and packed up his belongings and left the mansion angry still at his two friends, and their friendship had been broken up since then, despite both James and Sirius’ attempts at apologizing.

Two weeks after Remus left the Potter household for good, Sirius and James finally received a letter via Owl from Remus, that informed them that he was leaving going out of the country for awhile, to go visit Lily and Harry to see how they were doing, and to also attend Lily’s wedding to another man.

As soon as he heard that his ex-wife was already getting married to another man, all of James secret hopes and dreams that Lily might change her mind and come back to him were completely ruined, and he went on a rampage around the house, destroying everything that reminded him of Lily except a few pictures which he locked up in his study safe after he had calmed down.

Once he had finally calmed down after his rampage was over, he quickly became depressed for two weeks, barely leaving the house except for work related emergencies, or to take care of Dylan and trained him in magic with Sirius and Dumbledore’s help as the boy got older.

A few weeks after he left for the wedding, both Sirius and James received another letter from Remus informing them that he wasn’t coming back to England, saying that he had a gotten newer and better paying job where he was, and that he had accepted an invitation from Lily and her new family to come live with them, until he found a place of his own to live and that he wished all of them luck in the following years.

Ever since the news of Lily’s second marriage and Remus’ permanent departure from England, James had dated a lot of women off and on over the next nine years, but none of the relationships lasted any longer than a few weeks, before he broke it off when it looked like the women he was seeing were starting to expect more from him than he was willing to give. Unlike Lily, he wasn’t so ready to get remarried again anytime soon.

Over the following years he had tried sending out letters to both Remus and Lily to find out how they were doing since they had left, but all of the letters were returned to him unopened.

Dylan became friends with the Weasley kids, and spent most of his time playing and hanging out with the family when he wasn’t training with the adults, and was best friends with the twins, Fred and George Weasley, who he got along with a lot better than their younger brother, Ron, and their sister Ginny, who simply creeped him out with her constant hero worshipping. The trio were always getting into trouble with pranks or other kinds of mischief whenever the three of them were together.

Besides Fred and George, some of Dylan’s other best friends were Neville Longbottom, and Draco Malfoy.

Since the Longbottom family were long time friends of the Potters, Neville’s grandmother sometimes brought him over to the Potter home to play with Dylan to keep the other boy company, and to get Neville out of her hair for a few hours while she attended to business, though she would never admit that as the reason for leaving Neville at the Potters. The two boys had immediately hit it off and became close friends over the years.

Shortly after the fall of Voldemort years ago, Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy were worried about their son’s future, and didn’t want him to wind up being forced to join Voldemort in case the Dark Lord ever returned, so they went to Dumbledore for help and joined Order of the Phoenix as spies for the Light side.

When they are in public, the Malfoys still put on airs about pureblood superiority amongst their pureblooded friends so not to draw attention to themselves that anything was different about them, but when they were in private and with people who knew the truth about them they showed who’s side they were really on, and both him and Dylan quickly became friends after awhile.

As Dylan got older he started asking questions about where his mother was and why he didn’t have a mother around like other kids his age, and James simply told him that he and Lily stopped getting along with each other when he was a baby, and had decided to split up, while leaving out everything that had to do with Harry, and that he hadn’t seen or heard anything from her since she had left them.

When Dylan persisted in his questions about Lily and wanting to know what she looked like, James fished out one of the old photo’s of Lily out of his safe and gave it to Dylan to keep, which the youth now kept in a picture frame on his bedside table.

About a week after Dylan’s seventh birthday, they received a letter delivered by a silver and gold feathered hawk from a school called the Lunaris Aster Academy of Magic, which enrolled their students when they were seven years old and up. James had barely glanced at the school information that had been sent along with the invitation, before writing back to the school and informing them that Dylan was enrolled into Hogwarts, and wouldn’t be going to their school, and that was the last time they heard from the school.

After nine years had gone by without a word from either Lily or Remus, James was almost looking forward to when Dylan was going to start attending Hogwarts, since he hoped to see Lily in Diagon Alley shopping for Harry’s school supplies, only to have his expectations destroyed once more a week after the Hogwarts letters had been shipped out to students.

A week after the Hogwarts letters had been shipped out, Dumbledore called James into his office and informed him that Professor McGonagall had received a letter from Lily stating that Harry was already in accepted into another magic school where they were living, and wouldn’t be attending Hogwarts anytime soon.

After hearing the news James became angry at the idea of Harry not coming to Hogwarts. It didn’t seem natural that Harry wasn’t coming to Hogwarts, since in the history of their family, the Potters had always went to Hogwarts for their schooling, and he believed that she was only doing this to get back at him for what happened between them years ago.

After talking with Dumbledore some more, the two of them agreed that they had to try and get in contact with Lily and make her listen to reason about where Harry was to do his magical schooling, and left the headmaster’s office via port key.

Once he was back home, James hurried to his office, where he immediately started writing a letter to Lily, demanding to know what the heck she thought she was doing by not sending Harry to Hogwarts where he belonged, and if she couldn’t be bothered to come back from wherever she was to bring him herself, then he was more than willing to come get Harry himself to get his Hogwarts school supplies.

As he finished writing the letter and sealing it up, James looked down at the parchment for a moment, as he realized that if he sent it the way it was now as a simple letter, Lily would probably disregard it and send it back without even opening it like she had done with everything else he’d sent her over the years.

Coming to a decision, and knowing that it was probably the only way she’d pay attention to the letter even if it pissed her off afterwards, he cast a spell on the parchment that turned it into a Howler, before carrying into the rookery where the Potters kept their owls, and attached it to the leg of one of the owls and sent it off.


Meanwhile back at Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore was just as upset at the news that Harry wasn’t coming to Hogwarts, because he had big plans for the eldest Potter boy when he came to Hogwarts. He had hoped to try and win the boy over to seeing his side of things, and try to get him to open up to James and Dylan and bond with them.

Over the past nine years since Lily had left with Harry, during the time he spent training Dylan with James and Sirius, Dumbledore had started to notice that Dylan didn’t seem to be as powerful as he would have thought the boy who had beaten Lord Voldemort while surviving the Killing Curse as a baby should have been.

After watching Dylan grow up over the years with no visible change in his magic level, Dumbledore’s started to speculate over whether or not he had made a mistake all those years ago when he had chosen Dylan as the one who had beaten Voldemort that night.

Harry had been knocked out cold, while Dylan had sat next to him crying his eyes out, when the Order had arrived on the scene after stopping to revive the stunned Potters, and Dumbledore had decided then and there and Dylan must have been the one to defeat Voldemort while somehow protecting his older brother from harm when Voldemort fired the killing curse at them, which left him a star shaped scar on his forehead, which marked him as Voldemort’s equal just like the prophecy had said.

Harry had been lying on his stomach when they had entered the room and Dumbledore had announced that Dylan was their worlds savior, but it wasn’t until after they had picked him up and turned him over that they had discovered that Harry had also been marked by Voldemort, in a way that had left the green eyed boy with a lightning bolt shaped scar on his forehead, but Albus marked it off as a coincidence that both boys had been marked by Voldemort. But since Dylan had been the one chosen as the prophesized child, he hadn’t bothered to try and see if he had made a mistake in his choice.

Albus didn’t tell anyone about his suspicions about the Potter boys, just in case his speculations were wrong, but if he was right he needed Harry Potter to come to Hogwarts so he can keep careful an eye on the boy, and see how he does compared to Dylan, and if his speculations were right, have the boy trained alongside Dylan so that they both could be prepared in case Voldemort came back.

But now it seemed that Harry wouldn’t be coming to Hogwarts at all if Lily had her say in the matter.


It wasn’t until three days later that James finally received Lily’s answer to the Howler he had sent to her. He was just sitting down to dinner with Dylan and Sirius, as the trio were talking about Quidditch along with Dylan’s upcoming school year, when a snow white owl swooped into the dining room and dropped a now smoking Howler on James’ plate.

“Dang Prongs, who did you piss off this time that they’d send you a Howler?” Sirius asked, just as Howler finally opened and three males were immediately treated by the irritated loud shrieks of the former Mrs Lily Potter as laid into James.

“Aw nuts!” James exclaimed as he stared at the Howler in horror, as he started to reach for his wand as the smoking Howler started to unwrap itself, and Lily’s angry voice came shrieking out of the red paper at full volume.

JAMES NATHANIEL FORSYTHE POTTER!!! YOU INSUFFERABLE GIT! HOW DARE YOU SEND ME A HOWLER AND SAY THOSE KIND OF THINGS CONCERNING MY SON! NEED I REMIND YOU THAT YOU LOST ANY RIGHT TO MAKE THOSE DECISIONS NINE YEARS AGO WHEN YOU REJECTED HIM, AND YOU LEGALLY SIGNED AWAY YOUR RIGHTS ON DECIDING HOW HIS LIFE GOES!! FOR YOUR INFORMATION POTTER, I AM NOT PREVENTING HARRY FROM GETTING A PROPER MAGICAL EDUCATION BY NOT SENDING HIM TO HOGWARTS JUST TO GET BACK AT YOU AND DUMBLEDORE! IN FACT, I LET HARRY HAVE A CHOICE,” Lily’s voice roared through the Howler in full volume, causing everyone in the room to cover their ears in pain as the voice seemed to grow louder with each word, as the howler continued yelling, as her voice seemed to echo throughout the room as the Howler continued on repeating it’s message, “ON WHETHER OR NOT HE GOES TO HOGWARTS, AND HE CHOOSES NOT TO GO! HE’S QUITE HAPPY AT THE MAGIC SCHOOL HE’S ALREADY BEEN ATTENDING FOR THE LAST FOUR YEARS! IF I SEE EITHER YOU OR DUMBLEDORE ANYWHERE NEAR MY HOME WITHOUT AN INVITATION, I SWEAR THAT I WILL ACTIVATE THE CONDITIONS ON THE CONTRACT YOU SIGNED NINE YEARS AGO, AND YOU AND THE UK WIZARDING WORLD WILL NEVER SEE DYLAN AGAIN! IT SEEMS NINE YEARS HASN’T MADE YOU GROW UP SINCE I LAST SAW YOU, SO TRY AND LEARN SOME MANNERS BEFORE TRYING TO CONTACT ME AGAIN! DYLAN, HONEY IF YOU ARE AROUND WHEN YOUR DAD GET’S THIS HOWLER, I’M SORRY FOR THE BAD IMPRESSION YOU’RE GETTING OF ME, BUT YOUR DAD BRINGS OUT THE WORSE IN ME. NOW HERE’S AN EXTRA MESSAGE FROM HARRY!
For a few seconds the Howler went silent, and everyone around let out a sigh of relief, believing that the Howler must have been finished with it’s message, when it suddenly started up again, this time with another voice speaking through the red letter, with this one like a young boys voice who sounded just as angry as his mother.
MR. POTTER, THIS IS HARRY, THE SON YOU DECIDED TO GIVE UP YEARS AGO. AS MY MOM HAS JUST SAID, I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR YOUR STUPID LITTLE SCHOOL, SINCE I’M ALREADY IN MAGIC SCHOOL WHERE I AM. MOM NEVER TOLD ME ANYTHING ABOUT YOU AND WHAT YOU DID UNTIL AFTER I GOT MY HOGWARTS LETTER WITH MY OLD LAST NAME ON IT, AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT I DIDN’T LIKE WHAT I HEARD ABOUT YOU,” Harry’s voice roared through the Howler in full volume, causing everyone in the room to cover their ears in pain once more as the voice seemed to grow louder with each word, as the howler continued yelling, “ESPECIALLY AFTER GETTING THAT HOWLER YOU SENT US. I’M WRITING TO TELL YOU THAT I DON’T WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU EVER!! MY LAST NAME IS NO LONGER POTTER. YOU’RE NOT MY DAD, MR. POTTER, AND YOU WILL NEVER WILL BE AGAIN. YOU MIGHT HAVE HELPED CREATE ME BUT YOU WERE NEVER A REAL DAD TO ME, WHILE MY STEPDAD WAS. YOU’RE NOT WELCOME ANYWHERE NEAR ME OR MY FAMILY. BUT DYLAN IS ANOTHER MATTER, SINCE I WANT TO GET TO KNOW MY TWIN BROTHER IF HE EVER WANTS TO TALK.

As soon as Harry’s message ended, the Howler burst into flames which quickly died out and leaving only a pile of ash in its wake on the table.

“Damn it, I didn’t know Howlers could even reach that volume pitch,” James said through clenched teeth, wincing a bit in pain as he rubbed his still ringing gears gingerly, “Great, Lily’s really pissed off at me now.”

“Say what? Repeat that please would you? I think I went slightly deaf in this ear!” Sirius exclaimed as he cupped one hand to his left ear, before turning on his friend with a cheeky grin on his face for a moment, “Did you really send her a Howler? What did you say that got her so mad that she said your full name like that?”

“Yes I did, and it seemed like a good idea at the time when I did it. Since she always sent back the letters I mailed her without bothering to open them first,” James snapped, as he glared at his friends smirking face, before turning away from him to brush off the ashes from the Howler from the table into a napkin, and summoned a house elf to take it away, “I told you already that she wasn’t letting Harry come to Hogwarts where he belonged. So I thought the Howler would get her attention, since she had no choice to listen to it once she got it.”

“Well, look at the bright side, Prongs,” Sirius said as he shook his head a bit to try and stop the ringing in his ears caused by the Howler as he shot James a cheeky grin, “at least she finally responded to one of the letters you sent her.”

“Dad? Uncle Sirius?”

At the sound of Dylan’s voice, both James and Sirius froze for a moment, as they remembered that the younger boy was still in the room with them when the Howler arrived, as they both turned to look at him only to find Dylan looking at them in confusion which was evident on his young face as he stared at them in shock.

“That was my mom? Why’d you send her a Howler for, and who’s this ‘Harry’ that you wanted to come to Hogwarts with me?” Dylan asked, his eyes narrowing a bit as he remembered the rest of the Howler’s message echoed in his mind, as he remembered what Harry had called him in his message, “And since when do I have a twin brother?!”

James looked over towards Sirius for help only to find the dog animagus shaking his head at James as he pushed back his chair and stood up, and got ready to leave the room.

“Don’t look at me Prongs, you can deal with this one yourself,” Sirius said cheerfully as he glanced over at his godson for a moment, before turning back to James, “you’re the one who got yourself into this mess by not telling Dylan about Harry.”

“Oh sure, big help you are!” James shouted at Sirius’ retreating back, waving a fist angrily for a moment as he glared a bit when Sirius’ laughter could be heard through the walls, before he reluctantly turned back to Dylan who was now watching him through narrowed eyes and let out a sigh, “I just knew this day was coming. Look Dylan, let’s go to the library and I’ll tell you what’s going on.”


After leading Dylan into the library, James reluctantly sat his son down and told him everything about what had happened nine years ago, that led up to the big fight and breakup between him and Lily to his mother taking Harry away and starting over elsewhere, and that she had apparently gotten remarried and had a new family.

At first Dylan was in shock over the news, then became angry, as he realized that it was both his father and Dumbledore’s fault that he no longer had a mom or twin around anymore, but didn’t let it show as he let his father think that he understood the reason behind why things had happened the way it did in their family.

After their talk, Dylan asked James if he could write back to Harry and Lily, since Harry did say in the Howler that he wanted to get to know him despite everything, and James reluctantly agreed to the request, deciding that it couldn’t hurt anything, and let Dylan leave the library.

Once he was out of the library, Dylan headed straight up to his bedroom and headed towards his desk, and pulled out an inkpot an quil, along with a blank piece of parchment as he sat down and started writing two letters to both Lily and Harry.

The letters took over half an hour to write, before he sealed them up in envelopes and sent them off via the owl that had delivered the Howler, who was still waiting downstairs in the dining room, and within a few days he received letters back from both Lily and Harry.

In the ensuing weeks before school, Dylan started writing letters to both Lily and Harry, which were immediately responded to by the other two, as the trio wrote back and forth to each other almost every other day as soon as the latest letter arrived.

To James and Sirius’ surprise, Dylan was also soon receiving letters from the rest of Lily’s new family, along with pictures that he let them look at when they asked, only to discover that Lily now had given birth to three other children along with Harry and Dylan with her new husband.

One of the pictures that were sent showed two groups of kids sitting together in a room as they posed for the camera, that was attached to a letter telling who was who in the picture.

Harry was sitting on the black couch, with a red haired boy sitting on the left side of him while a strawberry blond haired girl sat on the right, while around them were three younger kids on both sides of the trio. One of the younger kids had dark brown hair and green eyes, and was looking at the camera boredly, while the other two were a boy and girl with blond hair and blue-green eyes, who looked to be about the same age as the first one, who stared at the camera with mischievous looks on their features.

The letter stated that the boy sitting next to Harry was their cousin, Alexander, and the girl on his side of the couch were Alexander’s sister, Lynx.

The letter then went on to tell them that the girl sitting on Harry’s right, was their younger sister, Willow, who was younger than them by two years, while the blondes were their younger twin siblings, Hope and Lance.

Over the following yeas since that day, Dylan kept in contact with Lily’s family when he was in school, as he sent letters to both them and James and Sirius, as he told them about his days at school and the adventures he went through with his friends, some of which got him scolded by Lily in some of her letters, while Harry and the others cheered him on.

During Dylan’s first year at Hogwarts, Dumbledore brought Nicholas Flamel’s Philosopher's Stone to Hogwarts to protect in from the wrong hands. That year Dylan nearly got himself and his friends killed trying to save a fellow housemate named Hermione Granger from a rampaging troll on Halloween night, who later became close friends with the group of boys, and helped them out of tight spots. A few weeks before the end of the school year, the group had managed to save the Philosopher's Stone from the DADA teacher, Professor Quirrell, who turned out to be possessed by Voldemort thanks to a spell that Dylan had learned from one of the letters Harry had sent to him, which had forcibly ejected Voldemort from Professor Quirrell’s body, and left the man in a catatonic state and now resided in St. Mungo’s psychiatric ward.

During second year, the Chamber of Secrets was opened up again, and Dylan and his friends had to face off with a basilisk in order to save the life of Ginny Weasley who was being manipulated by a cursed diary possessing a piece of Lord Voldemort’s soul, and the book was destroyed during the battle.

During third year, the Potters received news that Peter Pettigrew had broken out of Azkaban, and was now on the run. The Ministry put out wanted posters that had the traitors face on it, and alerted the Muggle authorities to be on the lookout for Peter, and sent Dementors to help protect Hogwarts. Sirius took a job at Hogwarts as the new DADA, to keep a lookout for Peter and help protect the school. By the end of third year, Peter tried to kidnap Dylan, but was stopped and captured by Sirius, and Peter was given the Dementor’s Kiss for his crimes.

The summer after Third Year, Dylan finally managed to talk James and Dumbledore into letting him go visit lily and Harry in New York City, and get to know his other family better, and while there he learned about his Sidhé heritage but promised not to tell anyone back in England about it. While in New York in between hanging out and seeing the local sights that New York had to offer, Dylan learned some basic Sidhé magic spells from Owen while he was there until it was time to return to England for another year at Hogwarts.

During his fourth year, Dylan was forced to compete in the TriWizard tournament as the fourth champion when his name came out of the Goblet of Fire, and was almost killed during the first task. He asked Hermione Granger to be his date for the Yule Ball, and she gladly accepted the invitation much to the jealousy of most of the girls in Hogwarts.

On Christmas day, Dylan was surprised when he opened one of the presents he had gotten from Harry that turned out to be a multi way mirror that was tied to several other mirrors that his Harry’s family owned, and if he ever wanted to talk to one of them all he had to do was call their name while holding the mirror and be connected to the other persons mirror, and a gold necklace with a red jewel on it from his stepfather, Owen, along with a message telling him to keep it on him at all times, and that if he ever needed help to touch the jewel.

It wasn’t until during the third task, that Dylan along with another competitor named Cedric Diggory were kidnapped via a portkey that was placed on the object they were supposed to retrieve, and were transported to a cemetery, where Voldemort was waiting for them. Upon their arrival, Voldemort ordered his minions to kill Cedric since he wasn’t needed, and Dylan reacted on instinct by casting a silent wandless protection spell that Owen had taught him over the summer at Cedric just as the killing curse hit the older boy who’s limp body fell soundlessly to the ground once both spells hit. The spell Dylan cast instantly nullified the effects of the killing curse, but it put Cedric in a suspended state that made it look like he was dead so the death eaters wouldn’t try to kill him again.

After Cedric’s ‘death’, Voldemort had Dylan tied down on top of a tombstone, as Dylan’s blood was used in a ceremony to revive Lord Voldemort and give him a new body.

As Dylan was being held prisoner as Death Eaters started appearing in the cemetery to welcome back their leader, as Voldemort started gloating over how all his plans had fallen into place.

Voldemort then announced to everyone that was gathered that Dumbledore had made a mistake fifteen years ago when he had picked the wrong Potter boy as the one who defeated him all those years ago, and that it had been Harry who had done it, and that once he had gotten Dylan out of the way he was going to go after Harry and Lily wherever they were and kill them once and for all so no one would be able to stop him.

After making the announcement, Voldemort had his followers untie Dylan and challenged him to a Wizards Duel to at least give him a fighting chance before he ended his life. Dylan managed to last a few minutes before he was knocked down by one of Voldemort’s spells, and landed next to Cedrics body.

Gasping for breath from the blow, Dylan looked up to see Voldemort standing over him with his wand pointed directly at him.

“You led me a merry chase, Dylan Potter, but it was all for nothing. This ends here tonight,” Voldemort said with a slight smirk on his features as he stared down at the cowering boy for a moment, “and once your gone, I’ll deal with your foolish brother wherever he may be.”

Moving quickly, Dylan reached into the neckline of his robes and pulled out the necklace Owen had sent to him with one hand, while grabbing a hold of Cedric’s robes with his other hand, as he touched the red jewel on the necklace, and thought about New York City and Castle Wyvern.

As his fingers connected with the jewel, he felt a warmth suddenly course through his body, that seemed to spread from the jewel, as he half noticed a faint glow seem to appear around his body and cover Cedric’s prone form, just as a wind started to pick up around him and send the death eaters scattering.

As the glow became brighter, Dylan suddenly felt a tugging sensation hit him, before the Graveyard suddenly disappeared from sight, as he heard the faint sounds of Voldemort and his followers cursing, just as both Dylan and Cedric suddenly faded from view.

For a few seconds, it seemed like Dylan was flying through nothing but air without a broom, as everything sped past him, as he kept a firm grip on Cedrics body with both hands, for what seemed like hours, before he suddenly found himself hitting a stone floor with a loud thump, with Cedric’s body lying next to him.

What the hell? Where am I?’ Dylan thought silently to himself, as he looked around his new surroundings and immediately recognized the room he was in as the game room in Castle Wyvern, ‘I don’t believe it. I’m home...

“Dylan!!!”

Startled by the sudden sound of his name being called, he stiffened a bit, as he slowly turned around to see Harry and the other kids rushing towards him. Smiling a bit he started to stand up to greet them, when a sudden wave a dizziness and nausea hit him, and the next thing he knew the floor was suddenly rushing up to meet his face as darkness filled him.

Just as darkness claimed him, the last thing he remembered was seeing Harry reach his side just in time to catch him just before he fully hit the ground.

To be continued...

==================
Author’ s Notes:
Sorry for the LONG wait in this chapter, but I’ve had a MAJOR case of writes block for most of my stories, but here is the next chapter for ‘Wings of the Night’ completed at 16 pages. I hope all of you like it.

Anyone who wants to know what the first part of the academy name means, ‘Lunaris Aster’ it means ‘Lunar Star’.

I know there wasn’t much speaking scenes between the characters, but I was bored, and decided to skip straight to describing what was going on, and describing what the characters were supposedly saying to each other.