Gasaraki Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Project Mile Two ❯ Contractual Obligations ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Project Mile Two


By Lord Raa


Chapter 9


Contractual Obligations





*********************


Nabiki nearly wept when she saw the estimate for the repairs to the Tendo house and dojo.

She needed to do something, but felt that the best she could do was call a meeting with rest of her family.

"This is what it's going to cost to get the house fixed. We can't afford it. As I see it we have two options. One, somebody marries into a rich family."

Soun looked towards Kasumi, hope shining in his eyes.

Kasumi shook her head. "Kuno? He's well mannered, but I do think that something's missing upstairs with him."

Nabiki glared at her father. "I want nothing more to do with the fool. There's more chance of you marrying Kodachi, daddy."

Soun shuddered then held his face in his hands, sobbing gently.

"I will not let you force Akane into another marriage." Nabiki was adamant. Continuing, "Option two, somebody gets a job."

Her father's sobbing became bawling, everybody else in the room just looked downcast. Genma munched on some bamboo casting panicked glances across the room, having been turned into a panda by Soun's waterworks.

The legendary 'Ice Queen of Furinken' looked at her family and realised just how much they took her and Kasumi for granted. 'I don't believe you lot. Hang on, Ranma said if I needed help, just to call him.' "I've got an idea. Dad do I have your permission to do what I need to save our family home?"

Soun nodded, his weeping like a little girlie-man subsided for the moment.

"Right then, I've got to make some arrangements. I'll be back later."

"Thank you Nabiki," Kasumi, at least, acknowledged her efforts.

Nabiki left the room to set up a meeting with Ranma's family.


*********************


When Ranma found out that Nabiki was in trouble, he insisted that his family help her and Kasumi.


At the meeting Nabiki and Kasumi sat at the table opposite Nodoka, Ranma and Kiyoharu.

After explaining the incident involving Taro and her family, Nabiki was desperate. "So you can see why we need help _now_."

"Yes. So, has your father tried to engage any of you yet?" Kiyoharu asked not so innocently.

Nabiki was nodded. "He tried to engage Akane to Kuno at first, we told him that there was more chance of him marrying Kodachi."

Ranma shuddered. 'That's not nice.'

"That sounds like something your father and Genma would try," Nodoka spoke honestly.

"Well, the only other option I see to keep you family home is for someone to get a job," Kiyoharu commented. "What makes you think that we have one going for a 17 year old girl that's not even finished high school? Even if we did, it wouldn't pay enough for the repairs to your house."

Nabiki looked downcast. Kasumi looked ready to weep. They had both put so much effort into keeping the house running over the years; now it looked like that would be in vain.

After Kiyoharu conferred with his cousins, he spoke, "We have a suggestion. We will loan you the money to repair the house. Nabiki will pay the money back in the form of a garnished salary by working as a personal assistant."

"To whom?" Nabiki had a feeling.

"To Ranma," Kiyoharu confirmed. "He will be taking a more active role in the Group. But, I'm sure that you are well aware that when it comes to business deals, he's somewhat lacking in the wisdom department."

Kasumi nodded. While Ranma was a nice young man, he lacked a certain understanding about the world outside of martial arts.

Ranma looked at his family. "You didn't mention anything about this earlier."

Nodoka noted the look on Ranma's face, "Yes, well son, we think that you need to experience the real world. Plus with the death of Yushiro, the future of the Gowa Group would be in better hands if you knew what you were doing."

"What kind of role are we talking about here?" Nabiki was interested in this offer. It would save her family and get her a job working for one of the largest conglomerates in Japan.

Kiyoharu smiled, 'That's good, she's interested'. "There is the usual secretarial aspect of organising appointments, making sure he's in the right place at the right time. Also we need you to coach him in the ways of the polite society and business etiquette."

"What about my schooling? As you said, I've not finished high school yet, and neither has Ranma for that matter." Nabiki had wondered what they planned to do about Ranma's poor education.

"You will attend Ranma's privately tutored sessions," Nodoka spoke up. "Part of your job is to look after Ranma."

"What about the dojo?" Nabiki wondered out loud.

"How many students were taught at the dojo in the last year, Nabiki?" Nodoka enquired.
"Not counting Ranma and Akane."

The Tendos looked down at their teacups.

"That many?" Kiyoharu sarcasm was painful. Taking a more reasonable tone, he spoke again, "I don't see why you should put yourself into greater debt over it. But for argument's sake, let's say that we rebuild the dojo. Who's going to teach there?"

Nabiki realised that they if they were relying on their father to save them, they were going to lose everything.

"If your father wants the dojo, he will have to work for it," Kiyoharu decided. It was his opinion that, even if it were just an illusion, having options was always good.

"Do we have an agreement?" Nodoka was anxious to allow Ranma the chance to get to know Nabiki better. And by better, she meant in the most intimate way possible. 'Nabiki would be good for him.'

Nabiki and Kasumi conferred for a moment. "We'll need to go over the terms of the contract with our father. Can you give us a couple of days?"

"Yes, you know how to contact us. We'll courier over a copy for you to look at tomorrow. Unless there is something else that you wanted to discuss?" Kiyoharu drank from his teacup. Seeing a negative response from the Tendos, he bid them farewell.


*********************


The Tendo sisters made their way home. Or to what was left of it.

"Well Nabiki, what do you think father will do?"

"To tell you the truth; I don't know, Kasumi. I hope he will agree to the terms but Ranma's family is right about the dojo."


*********************


After Ranma had left to practice a few kata, Kiyoharu turned to Nodoka, "Nabiki seems to be the sort that is honest if it pays them to be. If you think that the she would make a good match for your son, then I would let them fall in love; it would do Ranma good not to be forced into something."

Nodoka agreed with her cousin. "How do we deal with Genma? I want to make sure that he suffers for his crimes against Ranma."

"Kiyotsugu mentioned that he thought the Jusenkyo curse were interesting," Kiyoharu smiled. "Scientifically speaking, that is. I think that Genma could prove useful in its investigation."

Realisation washed over Nodoka's face. "Do you think that Kiyotsugu will need to perform all sorts of tests, you know the ones with really big needles?"

Her cousin was about to reply when his phone rang. "Kiyotsugu, what is it?"

*I looked at some of the results from the most recent set of tests we did on Ranma. I think that it would be wise for Ranma get regular check ups.*

"What for?"

*Because he regenerated certain tissues in his body, I'm concerned that he might be at greater risk of developing cancer.*

"Right, I'll tell his mother. She wants to know Do you want to experiment on Genma?

*What do you mean? *

"You know his curse?"

*For what he did to Ranma? I have certain 'tests' I want to perform.*

"I'll let her know about Ranma. Talk to you later."

*Bye.*

"My brother says that he has news about Ranma." Taking a deep breath, Kiyoharu chose his words carefully. "Ranma might be more susceptible to cancer."

Nodoka looked scared.

"But we can't be sure. That's why he thinks Ranma should have regular check ups." Kiyoharu left to draw up terms for the contract.


*********************


Nabiki called another meeting with her family.

"Right then, I have negotiated a deal to save our house."

Soun face brightened.

Akane looked at her sister, "with who? Not Kuno I hope!"

"No," Kasumi answered. "We managed to find help from an acquaintance of Auntie Nodoka's."

'Well, I guess that's one way of putting it,' Nabiki thought. "Yes, a courier's bringing the contract round tomorrow. We will have two days at the most to decide whether or not to accept the terms."

Soun looked at his daughter, "what about the dojo?"

"I did what I could, but they wanted too much to re-build it," Nabiki replied. "But if you are willing to help out with the repayment, then we can save it."

Soun thought about the idea. "Who are we dealing with?"

"The Gowa group."

'There goes the idea of running out on that debt,' Soun thought to himself. "Well, we shall see what their conditions for this loan are."


*********************


At the Gowa house, Ranma was outside jumping around like a caffeinated grasshopper, punching and kick at invisible enemies.

As he landing gently, something moved, catching his eye.

"Meow!"

"Arrgh!" Ranma backed away from the cat.

"Meow?" the tortoise shell cat moved in closer.

"Back off kitty," Ranma was starting to panic.

The cat sniffed.

Sweat poured of Ranma's face.

The cat took a step forward, "Meow?"

"Arrgh!"

Ranma's voice changed pitch.

"What's happening? Help!" Ranma-chan started running to the house looking for hot water or anything to change him back.

Nodoka ran towards her son, "Ranma what happened to you?"

"I-I dunno. I was practicing and something scar- er surprised me and I changed into a girl."

Nodoka saw that Ranma was scared about something and needed calming down. "Ranma, come with me inside. We need find out what happened to change you."

Leading her child inside, Nodoka motioned for some one to run a bath. "Ranma we're going to try something, let me get some hot water."

"Ok, mom." Ranma managed after taking a few breaths.


Pouring the hot water, Nodoka asked, "how much water did it take to change you?"

"A-about a cup, I think." Ranma-chan answered. She started to panic again after the water rolled off her head. "Mom I'm still a girl!"

Nodoka frowned, 'that's odd. I thought he was cured.' "I know Ranma, maybe we need to submerge you in hot water. Let's get you in the bath."


*********************


Kiyotsugu answered his mobile phone, "what's up?"

*Ranma has changed into a girl and we can't change him back.*

"I'll be there shortly," he hung up. "This is not good. Hajime, I'm going home. There's been an emergency."

"Ok boss, I'll see you later."


Arriving at the Gowa house, Kiyotsugu was greeted by a panicked Nodoka.

"Tell me what happened, No-chan."

"Well, I heard a scream in the garden. Rushing to investigate, I saw Ranma in his cursed form. We poured hot water on him but he stayed female."

"Then what?"

"I told Ranma to take a bath, I called you whilst he got ready."

"Right," Kiyotsugu decided to look at Ranma himself.

Knocking on the bathroom door, he asked, "Ranma is everything alright in there?"

"Yes," came the muffled reply.

"Can I come in?"

"Just let me but something on."

Kiyotsugu waited a minute and opened the door. He was greeted by the sight of Ranma-chan looking more relaxed and clean.

"How are you?"

"I'm feelin' better now I had a bath, but I want to know about the change or why I ain't changed back."

"Relax, Ranma. I want to help you."

Ranma took a few deep, cleansing breaths.

"Better?"

She nodded, having allowed the last of the tension to drain.

Suddenly she grew in height.

"What?"

Kiyotsugu looked on in interest. "I have an idea why hot water didn't change you, Ranma."

Ranma looked on expectantly.

"I think that stress might bring on the change." He stepped closer to his cousin. "I heard that something surprised you, so you changed into your girl side. You couldn't change back with hot water;, that caused you more anxiety. But the hot bath relaxed you so you changed back."

"So I changed when I get stressed?"

Kiyotsugu nodded. "That might prove to be a problem with the TA program."

"No, it's what I want to do," Ranma insisted.

"Well, we'll see. I don't want you hurt."


*********************


The next morning a courier arrived with the contract for the Tendo's approval.

Nabiki read out the major points. "1, Nabiki Tendo will repay the loan in the form of a garnished salary working for the Gowa group. She will be required to be on site for most of the time, and as such will be transferred from Furinken and be privately tutored. Room and board will be provided as part of her job. 2, Should she, or any Tendo be found guilty of any criminal activity against the Gowa Group, the Gowa Group will foreclose on the loan and seize control of any and all Tendo property. 3, Genma Saotome and Happosai will no longer be allowed to live in the Tendo residence. 4, Should any of these conditions be broken, the loan will be foreclosed."

Soun looked at his daughters. "Well," he voice was weak, "what do you think? Should we do accept?"

Akane nodded.

"Yes father," Kasumi agreed.

"What about you, Nabiki? You seem to be the lynch-pin for this whole deal." His voice was more confident. The house could still be saved.

Nabiki looked at her family. She would be leaving them for now, but she would visit them again. It was what she wanted; a foot in the door of a major corporation, but she would just be a personal assistant to Ranma. She would have a chance with Ranma, but would he be interested in her? If she married Ranma, surely her his family would cancel the debt as a wedding present, but no doubt they would have a pre-nuptial agreement in the event of a divorce. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"I'm in. I'll sign the contract. Daddy, we've saved the house."

Soun started to weep with joy. He was about to open a bottle of sake to celebrate, when Genma spoke up.

"But what about me?"

"Do you want to know why the Gowas don't want you to stay here?"

"Yes," Genma still was under the impression that he'd done no wrong.

Nabiki thought that it was now time to reveal the identity of her benefactor. "What's Auntie Nodoka's maiden name?"

"I can't remember," Genma looked at Nabiki quizzically. 'What is she planning?'

"It's Gowa."

The room fell silent.

"Gowa?"

"Yes, and now it seems that Ranma is heir to part of the Gowa group. Your son, the young man you threw out because he couldn't take over the dojo after he was injured saving Shampoo. The person you sold off numerous times, including his cursed form," she reveled in Genma's discomfort. "That same person you abused for ten years is the only thing that is going to save our house. So you can see why they don't want you to have a roof over your head."


"Well daddy, it's your family of your 'friend'. Who are you going to save?" Akane asked.

Soun looked at his middle daughter, "What did they say about the dojo, Nabiki?"

"If you want it, then you will have to work for it. That I should not put myself in further debt because of it."

Soun considered that argument. The dojo had been his dream, but who would teach now? He was out of practice; Akane was not up to scratch. Ranma was the hope, but why should he teach at their dojo after the way he was treated? He sighed. "It seems that it's time to move on with our lives. I will sign the contract."

Genma looked at his friend, "Soun, but what about the pledge to unite the schools?"

Kasumi looked at the overweight martial artist. "But Mr Saotome, what about Ukyo Kuonji? Or that young man who visited a few weeks ago? Or any number of the fiancées you arranged for Ranma?"

Genma was speechless.

Nabiki smiled at her sister's questions. "Yes, it seems that the pledge has been broken several times. I don't think that we would lose face over not fulfilling it."


*********************


Ryoga wandered; it was what he did best. Crossing oceans and valleys and he'd clocked up a fair bit of mileage over the years. He was depressed, that was also a common thing with the young Hibiki.

"Damn you Ranma!" He raged. "It's all your fault! Because of you I've seen Hell!"

Ryoga was not paying attention to where he was going; it happened on a regular basis. Unfortunately he had stumbled on to some very private property.

"Excuse me, where do you think you're going?"

"Where am I?"

"You're on Gowa land, young man. I suggest you leave now." A security guard in a suit replied.

"Are you threatening me?" Ryoga grinned. This was just what he needed to work out his frustration.

"What if I am?"

"Then prepare to suffer the consequences of angering Ryoga Hibiki!"

The suited man moved into a stance. "This is private property that means you're trespassing. Leave now, before we have you arrested."

"Make me," Ryoga insisted, pulling out his weighted umbrella.

The man spoke into a microphone. "We have a situation here at the south pond, requesting assistance."

*Acknowledged.*

"Calling for help? How cowardly!"

The man shook his head. "No, just prudent."


He moved to get Ryoga away from the house, when Ranma showed up.

"What you doin' here, Bacon Breath?"

"Ranma," the lost boy snarled. "Because of you, I've seen hell! Prepare to die!"

Ranma tensed his legs, ready for Ryoga's attack. He leapt towards the wandering martial artist having decided that he was beginning to get rusty without a sparring partner.

Ryoga jabbed his umbrella at Ranma's stomach.

Ranma dodged to his left and noted that Ryoga's speed had improved. "You're faster, Pig-boy. This should be fun." Inwardly though, Ranma was concerned that Ryoga might have learned a few new tricks while he had stood still.

Ryoga snarled again. "I'll make you pay for what you did to me. Because of you, Akane hates me!"

Ranma's expression didn't change as he threw a quick barrage of punches at Hibiki, most of them connecting. Leaping back he taunted Ryoga. "Why? Because you slept in her bed? Because you were the pervert she said I was?"

Ryoga just saw red and charged like an enraged bull.

Ranma opted to lead his opponent into a spiral pattern away from the house. Throwing in kicks and punches, he attempted wear Ryoga down. 'Damn this is going too slowly, I'll tire before he does.'

*SPLASH*

Ranma looked to direction the water came from. "Mom?"

"Ranma, I'm sorry for interfering in your fight, but this 'man' has caused enough trouble." Nodoka was most upset with Ryoga.

P-chan recovered and leapt at Ranma but was batted into the pond.

"Do you see what I mean, Ranma? You considered him a friend, but he has repeatedly took taken advantage of your generous nature. I know that you don't have many friends, but he has not acted like any friend I would want my son associating with." Nodoka took a disapproving tone with her son.

Ranma was at a loss for words. On one hand, she was right about Ryoga's behaviour; but on the other, he could count the number of his friends on the fingers of that hand.

Ryoga climbed out of the pond and glared at Nodoka. Deciding that is would be good time to get lost, he tried to sneak away.

The suited security guard thought that he would be negligent in his duty to allow that to happen. "Excuse me, Mistress Nodoka. What do you want to do with this?" he held up P-chan by the collar.

Ranma was still out of it, so Nodoka took the initative. She whispered to the man, "Take it to a vet. Get it neutered, that should deal with its urges. Ranma!"

"Huh? Yes mom?"

"Come inside, I've got something to tell you."

Ranma was a little unsure about his mother's words. He still felt a little guilty about Ryoga's Jusenkyo curse.


*********************


Inside, Nodoka motioned for Ranma to sit down.

"Son, the Tendos have agreed to the terms of the contract. Nabiki will be moving in here the day after tomorrow, that's when we will begin your studies again."

Ranma nodded, but the look on his face told her that he didn't like the idea of schoolwork.
Realising that he needed more of a carrot rather then a stick as a motivating factor, Nodoka offered a compromise. "If your work is of a high enough standard, I will allow training trips and visits to various dojo masters. I'm sure that there are a few techniques that you want to learn."

When Ranma's eye lit up, she knew that she had found the right incentive. "Maybe you could start you own style, for use in the TA?"

Ranma could barely sit still he was that excited about the idea. It was one thing to adapt a technique to his needs, but to create a whole new style? That truly appealed to him.

"Do you really think that I could do that?"

"My son, I doubt that there's much you can't do. No go and decide what would work in your new school of TA martial arts." Nodoka smiled at her beloved son.


*********************


The next morning a lawyer knocked on the door of the Tendo household.

"Yes, can I help you?" Kasumi asked.

"I hope so. I'm from the Gowa group, I believe you have a contract for me to pick up?"

Nabiki walked up to the door, "You said something about a contract?"

"Yes, is it ready?"

Nabiki handed it over, the lawyer bowed in thanks.

"Is that your father over there?"

"Daddy, can you come here for a moment?" Nabiki called out.

"Can I help you sir?"

"I just wanted you to know that we will be keeping tabs on Genma Saotome. These gentlemen are going to start rebuilding today if you are ready for them."

"Already?" Kasumi was a little surprised.

The foreman walked up to the door. "Our apologies for any inconvience we cause you."


*********************


To be continued.


Thanks go out to Chi Vayne for his assistance.



Opinions, thoughts, questions, comments and suggestions are all welcome.

Please deliver them by your usual method.


Email:

(lordraa) (@) (digitalpimp) (.co.uk)