Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction / Saiyuki Reload Fan Fiction ❯ Closing Time ❯ Three kisses. ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"That was odd," Hakkai remarked, sorting his purchases from the marketplace.

"Hn? Oh, the kid? Yeah," the half-breed replied noncommittally, shrugging off his jacket and dropping it onto his assigned bed for the night. "I don't know. I guess I attract strays or something."

Hakkai hid a smile behind a package of dried jerky. "That's one way of putting it, yes."

"You implying something?" Gojyo mock-glared. He laughed and shook his head. "I'm going down to the bar. Tell Sanzo that's where I am if he wants his serving boy to light his cigarette for him."

"So early?" Hakkai saw the waning light from the sunset coming through the window. His raised eyebrow drew Gojyo's attention.

"What? What's wrong with that?"

The demon held up the box of strawberries they'd purchased earlier. "I thought we'd eat these before going down to dinner."

Gojyo stared at Hakkai. "Seriously?"

"Why not?" He plucked a berry out of the package and held it up to his mouth. "Think of it as a mid-afternoon snack."

"I hope you realize that I'm missing out on prime examples of womankind for this." The half-demon smirked, stretching his arms as he reached for one of the red berries.

"A pity, I'm sure," Hakkai returned, holding the box steady while Gojyo took a strawberry and then bit into it.

"Mmm, yes. What will they do without my charms?" Gojyo swallowed, licking his lips.

"They'll manage somehow." The demon sat down on the edge of the bed, picking out another berry for himself. He ate with less relish than Gojyo who sat beside him, already finished with his first strawberry and reaching for another one.

Midway through his second strawberry, Gojyo glanced out of the corner of his eye at the demon. "Any particular reason you're feeling nostalgic today, Hakkai?"

"Oh? Was I obvious?" he answered, returning the look that Gojyo gave him evenly.

"Only a little."

Hakkai continued, "I suppose I felt the need to remind myself that there are always good things that are red."

"Good things that are red? Why not go with apples again?" Gojyo asked, one eyebrow quirking upwards.

"Apples," Hakkai countered, "have been done already."

"What about tomatoes or radishes?"

"Too plain, and they're not really things that you'd want to share with a friend," the demon replied, giving Gojyo a half-smile. In the back of his mind, Hakkai finished the phrase 'or with someone closer than that.' He brushed the thought aside.

Gojyo examined the ends of his hair. "Flair is overrated," he mumbled. "It's nice sometimes, but not all the time."

"I disagree," Hakkai found himself saying. "I wouldn't have tried to burden you with my troubles if I did not like ...flair." He touched his fingertips to Gojyo's hand.

"You like it, huh?" The half-demon looked down. "I guess there's not accounting for taste."

"Don't say that. You'll just hurt my feelings." Hakkai ducked his head, trying to catch Gojyo's eye. Impulsively, Hakkai brought Gojyo's hand to his mouth and kissed the half-demon's palm.

Gojyo, his mouth open, struggled to find something to say, and he ended up blurting out, "That's not where friends kiss each other."

"Oh? Where do they kiss each other then?" Hakkai asked, inviting Gojyo to make the next move. Inside, his heart beat quickly, and he tried not to hope for too much. Being allowed a kiss to the palm was enough.

"Here. They kiss here." Gojyo kissed Hakkai's cheek so quickly that the demon barely had time to register the sensation.

Cheeks lightly flushed, Hakkai found himself pushing his luck further. "And what if friends want to be more? Where then do they kiss?"

"Hakkai, you're killing me," Gojyo murmured as he lowered his mouth to the demon's.

"Is it so bad?" Hakkai returned and deepened the kiss. He set aside the strawberries and reached up to mold his hand to Gojyo's scarred cheek.

Teasing the kiss out of Gojyo had been a surprise for both of them, and they pulled apart, blinking.

It was a strange idea, but Hakkai hoped that Gojyo would come to him for affection instead of seeking it from unknown women.