Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Start ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Back to Start
Author: Resident-Bishounen
Series: Gensoumaden Saiyuki
Timeline: Any.
Pairings: Mainly 5/8 with light hinting at 3/9. Shounen-ai at best.
Spoilers: Hakkai's past. Gojyo's past as it ties into Hakkai's.
 
“I'm sorry, have we met?” Hakkai stared up at Gojyo blankly, as he never had before, not even when they first met. There's no way he didn't recognize him. They'd lived together for three years! Not to mention they'd been together for who-knew-how-long on this rotten trip.
 
“Very funny, Hakkai.” Gojyo said. Did Hakkai think the youkai were still hiding around here somewhere? He wished Hakkai wasn't so reserved. Gojyo had no idea what was going on inside that pretty little head of his. Hakkai thought quietly for a moment. It seemed to Gojyo to be ages before he finally spoke.
 
“Hakkai?” He eventually said. “I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone else. My name is Cho Gonou.” Gojyo was stunned into silence. The guy was serious, wasn't he? He honestly thought he was Gonou?
 
“What are you talking about?! You're not Gonou anymore, you're Hakkai!” Goku insisted loudly. He and Sanzo had finished with their half of the youkai, and had come looking for them. Goku still looked tense, full of adrenaline, ready to fight again at any time, and almost as confused as Hakkai. Sanzo, on the other hand, had his arms folded, wearing an expression on his face that just said, “I'm surrounded by idiots.”
 
“Look, let's just get to the next town before nightfall. I am NOT camping out with you morons.”
 
Gojyo hated to admit it, but Sanzo was right. Staying there wasn't going to accomplish anything, and they could figure out what the hell was going on when they got there. He stood up and offered Hakkai, er, Gonou a hand. Gonou took it, and pulled himself up.
 
“How are we going to make it? We seem to be in the middle of a forest.” He asked. Gojyo grinned back at him and gave him a thumbs-up sign.
 
“We've got it covered.” Gojyo said confidently. Sanzo turned abruptly and led the group back to the road where the jeep stood waiting. It kyuued happily as the party emerged from the woods, physically unharmed. Sanzo and Goku were quick to take their customary seats, but Gonou reached out to take Gojyo's arm and stop him before he could do the same.
 
“Um... excuse me... uh... mister . . .,” he said, not remembering Gojyo's name.
 
“It's Gojyo.” Gojyo supplied.
 
“Gojyo-san... did that jeep just make a noise... on its own?”
 
“Yep.”
 
“How?”
 
“Because it's alive.”
 
“Alive? How?”
 
“It's a transforming dragon.”
 
This piqued Gonou's curiosity, and he circled the jeep, inspecting it, tapping it in places. The jeep gave out a confused “Kyuu?” It wasn't difficult to notice how oddly its master was acting.
 
“Wherever did you find it?” Gonou asked.
 
“Uh, you did.” said Gojyo.
 
“But... I can't drive.”
 
Throughout this whole exchange, Sanzo's patience wore steadily thinner. He didn't care whose dragon it was, as long as they got MOVING already. Eventually, he could restrain himself no longer.
 
“Just GET IN or I'm leaving you BOTH BEHIND!!” He bellowed. The threat worked, and Gonou set aside his curiosity and took a seat in the back, beside Goku, leaving Gojyo to drive.
 
 
By early evening, the Sanzo party had arrived at the next town and had located an Inn. They only had two rooms available, but luckily for them, they were both double rooms. As the four headed upstairs to the rooms, Sanzo dictated the sleeping arrangements.
 
“Goku is with me in room 208.” He said, pointing to the closer of the two rooms. “Gojyo and the amnesiac get 212.” He dictated.
 
“Yaaay! I don't have to room with Gojyo!” Goku cheered, obviously satisfied with the deal.
“Hey! Don't sound so cheerful!” Gojyo complained. “And what about Hakkai?”
 
“That's your problem.” Sanzo said. Gojyo couldn't believe his ears.
 
“And you're just going to go sit back with a cigarette and a newspaper?” He accused.
 
“No. I'm going to get supplies. Come on, Goku.”
 
Gojyo stood there blinking as the monk left with his pet. Was he going deaf? Genjo Sanzo? Doing his OWN shopping? Somebody, alert the press! Well, that made up for being abandoned with Gonou. Things would be perfect if only Hakkai were back to normal.
 
“Fine.” he said, and turned back to Gonou.
 
 
Gonou followed Gojyo and his friends to the Inn and waited politely as they decided who would be stuck with him. Gonou hated this. He felt so helpless. He hated being such a burden on Gojyo, but until he found out where he was, and how he'd gotten here, not to mention what had happened to Kanan, he couldn't really do much else. Besides, who was this `Hakkai' they kept mistaking him for, and where had he gone? Once a decision had been made, Gojyo turned back to him.
 
“Come on, our room's this way.” Gojyo said, and led Gonou down the hall to another room. Lacking any other options, Gonou followed. He hated to be such a burden to Gojyo-san and his friends, but as long as he didn't know where he was, or what he was doing here, he didn't really have much choice. With any luck, he could repay them later. Once he and Gojyo arrived at their room, Gonou took a seat on the bed as Gojyo paced in front of him, trying to explain the situation.
 
“So, where are we?” Gonou asked, taking a deep breath. He hadn't recognized anything on the road as they had headed into town. The town itself was new to him, and because they'd rented rooms at an inn told Gonou that it was new to Gojyo and his friends, too. He could tell he wasn't going to like Gojyo's answer.
 
“Uh, I don't know exactly, but we've been heading west for quite a while now.” Gojyo explained, fidgeting nervously. Heading west? Why would he do that? He had everything he had ever wanted back home: a decent job doing something he enjoyed, a nice house, and his precious Kanan at his side.
 
“Why? Where's Kanan?” He asked. Gojyo paced the room nervously for a moment more before answering.
 
“We're tagging along with Sanzo and his monkey to stop some nutcase's attempts to revive Gyuumaou, partly because he's bad news, and partly because it's spreading minus waves that are making the youkai go crazy.” Gojyo said. Gonou sprang to his feet, alarmed, and took a step towards Gojyo.
 
“What? If that's true, I can't stay here! I need to go back and protect Kanan!” he started towards the door, but before he could reach it, Gojyo held out his hands to stop him. Apparently, he hadn't finished speaking.
 
“You can't.” He said, continuing before Gonou could do anything but open his mouth. “I know this is the last thing you need to hear right now, and I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but...” Gojyo trailed off, shifting his weight from foot to foot.
 
“But?” prompted Gonou. Gojyo took a deep breath and continued.
 
“But she's... dead. She died over three years ago.”
 
“That's impossible!” Gonou protested, growing more irritated by the second. Gojyo tried to explain what had happened. He told Gonou bout the sacrifice. About Gonou's desperate attempts to rescue her. About being turned into a youkai. About Gojyo finding him there in the dirt and taking him home, and finally, about turning himself over to Sanzo and being given a new chance at life. He was rewarded with a glare as cold as ice.
 
“How DARE you make up a story like that.” He said.
 
“It's not a story, its true! If I'm lying, then why is that scar there on your stomach?” Gojyo sounded desperate for Gonou to believe him, but he couldn't. He refused to. Something so horrific couldn't be true. Gonou had to get out. He couldn't listen to this anymore. Kanan, sacrificed to a youkai lord? He would never have allowed it!
 
“I just can't believe that.” He said softly, and left the room, letting the door swing shut behind him.