Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Goodbye, Gojyo? ❯ What?! He's Sick?! ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Goodbye, Gojyo?

Don’t worry, this has a happy ending. Enjoy!

Hakkai paced in the waiting room of the hospital. All others were looking at him strangely, but he was too worried so he totally disregarded their stares. He stopped in his tracks when a doctor came towards him.
“Are you the one who brought in the half-breed an hour ago?” the kindly doctor asked.
“Yes, I am,” Hakkai replied.
“He’s requesting your presence. Please come with me.”
Hakkai nodded. He followed the doctor, fearing the worst.

Hakkai saw Gojyo in a bed, pillows were helping to prop him up. “Gojyo, is everything okay?”
Gojyo smiled weakly. “We’ll find out in a second.”
The demon noticed the seat beside the bed. He sat down on it.
The doctor cleared his throat. “I’m afraid this is very serious, gentlemen.”
“How serious?”
“I’m afraid that Mr. Gojyo here has caught the disease which can only affect half-human,
half-demon beings. I trust you’ve heard about it?”
Gojyo nodded. “It’s pretty deadly from what I’ve heard.”
‘Deadly?!’ Hakkai thought. Good thing he was sitting down or he’d be on the floor. His eyes widened.
“So, give it to me straight, doc. How long do I have to live?”
“I am afraid we cannot answer that yet, not until we’ve run more tests, so you’ll have to stay in hospital overnight. Our results will be in the day after tomorrow, but I’ll try to get them by tomorrow. I’ll go organise everything with our specialists.” The doctor left.
“Well, whadda ya know? I’m sicker than I originally thought,” Gojyo chuckled weakly.
Hakkai couldn’t understand why Gojyo was laughing. “Gojyo, how can you laugh like that? You’ve just been told that you have a deadly illness.”
“I don’t know how long I’ve got though. But, I’m okay. I’ve had a good run. So whether it’s ten days or ten years, I’ll be fine.”
‘Fine, you say?’ He sighed. “You’re already accepting your fate. However…I can never accept that. I can’t accept that you’re going to leave us all so soon.” He gripped his pants tightly, so tightly his knuckles turned white.
“Hey, maybe you should go home now. The specialists will be coming shortly.”
“Yes, you’re right.” Hakkai got to his feet.
“Hey, before you go…remember, you don’t have to be strong for me. I’m okay.”
“We’ll see, Gojyo. I’ll pick you up tomorrow.” He left the room. He saw the same doctor. “Excuse me, please tell me what his chances are?”
The doctor sighed. “With this disease, he has a 10% chance of survival, even with treatment.”
He gasped. “I…see. Thank you.” He then walked straight out of the hospital, a blank look on his face.

He opened the door to the house and stepped inside. Hakuryu didn’t fly over to him, so the white dragon must’ve been asleep. That was good then. He started to clean up the mess from when Gojyo had collapsed. He closed his eyes tight.
Hakkai was doing his routine clean-up. “So, you going out tonight, Gojyo?”
Sitting at the table and flipping through a magazine, Gojyo shook his head. “Nah. I think I might be coming down with something.”
“Do you need to see a doctor?”
“No, it’s probably just a cold.”
“In any case, just make sure you take it easy, okay? I would just hate to have to peel you off the floor.”
“Yeah yeah.” Gojyo got to his feet and stepped away from the table. He suddenly felt very dizzy.
“You should go to bed and rest,” Hakkai said as he turned to face his friend. But, just as he did, he saw the half-breed collapse. “GOJYO!!!” He hurried to his friend’s side. He felt his forehead---no fever. He checked his pulse---normal. He listened to his breathing---normal. So, why did he just collapse like that? “Hang in there, Gojyo, I’ll get you some help!”
“I was only joking when I said I’d hate to have to peel him off the floor. And now, he’s…” Tears dripped onto the back of his hands. “Oh, Gojyo…” He then wiped his eyes. “He says he’s okay, but he always says that when he isn’t. I must be strong for him, I must. He…he needs me. Alright, Hakkai, no more tears.” He then continued to clean.

Hakkai went back to the hospital the next day. This time, Hakuryu stayed so they wouldn’t have to walk. He went to Gojyo’s room and knocked on the door. “Gojyo?” He opened the door, entered, then closed the door after himself. “Hello, Gojyo, how are you today?”
“Sore, but okay. Damn, all of those tests required me to be a half-human pin cushion.”
“Are you able to come home?”
Gojyo’s smirk faded. “Sit down, Hakkai.”
Wordlessly, he did so.
“The results came in this morning, but we couldn’t wait until you came. Plus, it’s probably best to hear it from your best friend.”
“Then it’s not good news, is it?”
“No.” Gojyo weakly reached over and rested a hand on one of Hakkai’s. “Not good at all. I only have two weeks.”
“What?!”
“I’m in the final stages.”
“No…no, it can’t be.” Hakkai wanted to cry, but he forced the tears back and swallowed the lump in his throat.
“I know that yesterday I said I’m fine with what happens, but I was only kidding myself. I didn’t want you to worry. But, still, you don’t have to be strong. Not for me, because I need to be strong for you, even though I’m the one who’s dying. I’m leaving you alone after all.”
“It always seems to happen to those I love. You’re the closest I have to a brother and now…”
“I need you to tell the stinkin’ monk, the stupid monkey and the girls at the bar. Can you do that for me?”
“Of course, Gojyo, of course I’ll tell them.”
“Tell my brother too, if you can.”
“Of course.”
“It’s a shame. I’m going to miss so much.”
“And you’re really gonna be missed by many.”
“Yeah, but that’s just because I’m such a popular guy.”