Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Goodbye, Gojyo? ❯ Learning The Sad Truth ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
After half an hour, Hakkai left the hospital. He climbed into the jeep. “Let’s go see Sanzo and Goku.”
Hakuryu chirped in response as he drove off. He could tell his master wasn’t feeling alright, especially when halfway, he had to pull over.
“I just don’t know what to do, Hakuryu. I just found out that Gojyo is dying. I told myself yesterday that I would not cry, that I would be strong, but today I was told Gojyo will only be with us for another two weeks.” He rested his forehead against the top of the steering wheel and shut his eyes tight as his shoulders shook. “I just don’t know what I should do, pal.” He heard some reassuring chirps and squeals. His eyes snapped open. “Aw, thanks for comforting me, you’re a true friend.” He sat up again. “Well then, shall we continue to the temple?” Another chirp and off they went.

“Hey, Sanzo, Hakkai’s here!” Goku shouted as he saw Hakkai walking up the path. He happily ran out to greet him. “Hey, Hakkai. How’s it going?”
Hakkai looked at the innocent monkey-boy. He just shrugged.
“Well, come on in! I’m sure Sanzo will be glad to see you! But, where’s Gojyo? How come he isn’t here?”
“I’ll explain when we’re inside.”
“Okay then.” Goku lead Hakkai inside and noticed the older demon had shut the door. “Hey, leave the door open!” He went to open it.
“Leave it, Goku, the door has to be shut.”
“Hakkai?”
Sanzo looked up from the newspaper. “Hello, Hakkai. Just you today? I’d have thought Gojyo would be with you.”
Hakkai walked over to a wall. “He’s never coming again.”
Goku blinked. “What do you mean?” He turned to Hakkai at the tone of his voice---soft and sad, no, more like depressed. He saw him hang his head. “Why isn’t Gojyo coming?”
“He’s in the hospital.”
“The hospital?”
“Yes. He was admitted yesterday. He was supposed to come home today.”
“What’s wrong with him?”
“Have you heard about the disease going around? The one that infects only half-bloods?”
“Yeah…”
“Gojyo has it. He was told this morning that his collapse yesterday meant he was in the final stages. The doctors are giving him two weeks at the most.”
“You mean to say that Gojyo…”
“…is dying?” Sanzo added to the question.
Hakkai knew he’d tear up which was why he was facing the wall. He bit his bottom lip. “Yes, he is. He wanted me to tell you both.”
“Can we go see him?” Goku asked eagerly.
Hakkai opened his mouth to say ‘yes’, but then he remembered.
“I will bring you a home-cooked meal, okay?’ Hakkai asked as he got to his feet.
“Sounds good. See you soon.”
“Yes.”
“Oh, before you go…”
“Yes?”
“I don’t want Goku and Sanzo to see me.”
“What?”
“I don’t want them to see me in this pitiful condition, so don’t let them, okay? Promise me.”
Hakkai looked into Gojyo’s eyes. “Alright then. I promise. But, you know, pride hurts the worst.”
“Nah, it’s not exactly pride. It’s vanity.”
Hakkai closed his eyes and shook his head. “They’re basically the same thing, my friend.”
“Yeah, I know.”
“No, not yet. Maybe next week, but not yet.”
“Okay then.”
Hakkai turned slightly so he could look at Goku, but Goku couldn’t see his tears. He noticed Goku was really down.
Goku had tears welling in his golden eyes. “I know that at times I said some awful things to Gojyo, but I never meant any of them.”
He turned to Goku fully, forgetting the tears flowing down his cheeks. He held Goku close. “He knows, you two were just teasing each other all the time. But, that’s not why he doesn’t want you to see him. He still needs time, that’s all.” He looked over to Sanzo and saw the priest was still looking stoic. He knew Sanzo cared, but he never wanted to show it. He looked back down at Goku when he heard him start sobbing. How could he comfort the boy this time? He couldn’t say it would be alright, because he’d be lying, not just to Goku, but to himself and Sanzo.