Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Oolong Tea ❯ Oolong Tea ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Saiyuki is owned by Minekura Kazuya
 
Oolong Tea
 
“What'll ya' have?”
“Oolong tea.” The human bartender gave him a look that said, `Oolong tea? In a bar? What's with this guy?' which he easily ignored. What would a human know of the complexities of tea? Perhaps he should have brought a songbird along with him to add to the enjoyment of the beverage and to drown out the prattle of the humans gathered around him. He eyed the small group of three at a table in the corner - youkais, too. They were disguised as humans but they couldn't hide their auras. He sighed, wondering if he even would enjoy any tea served here. Nevertheless, he stayed within his wont and ordered his favored repast. He doubted the humans knew any different.
He could have gone to a teahouse rather than a tavern, but he'd found that that would make the disappointment worse. And it was here that the war prince wanted to meet. He suspected what it was Homura wished to talk to him about and he still wondered at his response.
The human behind the bar brought a tea tray and set it before him before leaving him alone to pour his own tea. Shien hadn't expected anything better from these lowly humans as the man went to serve the group of workers at the other end of the bar and Shien reached for the metal teakettle, gripping the wooden handle. There was no presentation vessel for him to choose his own leaves and, lifting the lid to the teapot, he found the leaves already measured out, inside the pot. He poured the hot water - too much to hope for that the water was filtered - into the pot and let it sit a bit before pouring the tea into the serving pitcher.
A shadow fell over him and he greeted the war prince without needing to turn. “Homura.”
“Shien.” The prince's voice smoothly flowed over the din of the human conversations around them, easily reaching his ears. “General Kenren has been reborn.”
“General Kenren, is it? I imagined one of them had been found.” He motioned for another cup to be brought for the tea. “Have some tea. It is of poor quality but appears to be the best this insignificant establishment has to offer.” He ignored the glare the insulted tavern owner threw his way as the man set an additional tea cup down, rather forcibly, next to the drainer tray.
The metallic sound of heavy iron chains clinking together made a poor substitute for birdsong as the heretic god took the seat next to him, “Yes, and I have a lead on Field Marshal Tenpou.” Homura paused, choosing his words. “The General has been reincarnated as a hanyou.” The conversations around them had somewhat died away as the other patrons took note of the two of them.
Shien's eyes opened in surprise. “A hanyou? That is unexpected. What of Konzen and Son Goku, have they been found?” He poured a cup of tea for the war prince.
Homura took the offered beverage and brought it up to his face inhale its steam. “Not yet. But I'm sure they will be located soon.”
“So the time has come. You actually plan to go through with it?” Shien sipped demurely from his cup, one hand wrapped around the body with his other bracing the bottom, both hands tilting the vessel back.
“Do you doubt me? Do you doubt my cause?”
“That is the question. The reason you've asked me to meet you here.”
Before coming here to meet with Homura, he had gone to see the comatose body of Nataku, immobilized on his throne. He stood looking at him as he had done many times before, trying to puzzle out why he had done as he had. What was the boy's fascination with the lower worlds, that he would try to extend his time here as long as possible? Or had he simply wished to stay down here longer so he wouldn't have to return to the heavens?
The two gods drank their tea in silence in the quiet of the tavern as all the other occupants watched them. Finally, Shien set his cup down and answered Homura. “I do not doubt you or your cause. I believe you to be just in your planned actions.”
“You will join with me in my cause?” the War Prince pressed.
“Yes, I will join your cause.” Shien's voice was soft but firm as he rose from his stool next to Homura. As they turned to leave, the other occupants in the room also stood and moved to block their exit.
“See,” the human bartender began, standing at the head of the group. “We don't take kindly to those who disrespect my establishment.”
“Then perhaps you should keep a better establishment,” was Shien's reply. A low growl rumbled from the humans and youkai and, as Shien glanced towards Homura, he found the prince looking at their opponents, smiling lazily. Now he understood why Homura wished to meet at such a place. “Should I leave you to this then, Homura?”
Some of the tavern patrons laughed at Shien's question while others looked confused. After all, they outnumbered the two of them five-to-one.
“Yes, Shien. And my thanks. Together, we will create a better world.”
Shien bowed his head to the War God and made his way to the exit, simply throwing any of the patrons out of his way when they attempted to stop him. It took no effort at all and he almost felt like he was waving away pesky insects that came too close. He hadn't gotten very far when he heard the familiar roar and felt the warm chi of Homura's sword, followed by the brief shouts and screams of those foolish enough to stand against Heaven's War God.
He wondered, as he casually left the town, what it would feel like to take a life. If he would feel anything at all. What did Homura feel, when he did it. What did Nataku feel? He gathered his own chi close to his body in a warm yellow ball and allowed himself rise up and return to the heavens above.
He figured he would find out soon enough.