Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Saiyuki Outside ❯ Chapter 32: Zeltorfe ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 32: Zeltorfe

Beyond the icy chamber lies a dark stairs. Voices from afar could be heard from deep within. Pitter patters of feet walking up the steps were echoed down.

"These steps seem endless! I'm tired of seeing stairs already…"

"Well, we better hurry up or else we'll never get to see another day."

Shyirin stopped climbing. She breathed tiredly. She put her hand onto the wall. It seemed like almost forever. They've been climbing steps from a long time ago. Sanzo was not far ahead.

"Sanzo, where are you?"

"I'm still climbing up…"

"Wait for me!"

Shyirin picked up her feet and ran. Tired as she may be, she wasn't going to let Sanzo leave her behind. She ran until she finally came to a halt. Sanzo was also there standing in front of a door. Shyirin caught her breath.

"Is this it?"

"I hope so…"

"Let's go on in then…"

Sanzo nodded. He twisted the knob. He could feel a slight breeze coming through. He took out his gun as Shyirin prepared herself. They opened it and aimed.

"MORE STAIRS?!"

Shyirin groaned again. They were at the corridor of the steps. The narrow stairs surrounded a large empty hole in the middle. Shyirin looked above. The top was very far ahead. She shook her head and then, turned her eyes to the hole. It seemed like an endless drop. She could not see the end but she could feel a strong gust of wind blowing around them which seemed that the hole seemed to be its source. Shyirin gulped at the sight of it.

"M-must we go, Sanzo?"

"Seems like it…. Come on."

"The stairs are really narrow… and if we fall…"

"Don't worry…. Just follow my lead and you'll be safe."

Shyirin nodded as Sanzo took her by the hand and together, the both of them walked up the narrow stairs.

"Hakkai! The ice is melting!"

"Looks like Sanzo did it…"

"That means the ice is easier to break now! Here goes!"

The fallen pillar shattered as the impact of Gojyo's chain-staff hit it hard. Gojyo looked above and climbed above. He looked around cautiously and then, waved his hand, signaling that the coast is clear. Hakkai and Goku climbed up, trailing behind Gojyo. They looked around for Sanzo. He was not at sight.

"Where did that corrupt monk go?"

"Perhaps he went to the stairs over there…"

"Are you sure about this, Hakkai?"

"Hakkai's a gambler. Let's just go with him."

The three of them walked forward and reached the foot of the stairs, then making a move to climb up.

"Let's just hope the corrupt monk is safe…"

Shyirin felt the wind trying to push her away. She clung onto Sanzo as he braved the strong wind. She closed her eyes. They were nearly there. The top seemed like a few steps away. Shyirin followed Sanzo closely, afraid of falling down.

`We're gonna make it… Just a little bit more, Shyirin. You can do it…'

On top of the end, Zeltorfe sat on his throne, with a cup of deep red wine in his hand. He shook the cup a little, causing the wine to spin within a moment and then, stopped. He put his lips towards the cup and sipped a little. An infantry ran forward and bowed before Zeltorfe.

"Sir, Sanzo and a young girl is about 5 meters from us. They are closing in on us. Should I release `Gilgamesh' now, sir?"

Zeltorfe looked at the infantry through his dark raven hair which covered his shining peridot eyes. He shook the cup once more and then, crushed the cup within his grasp. The glass shattered as the wine and his blood trickled down. Zeltorfe's expression turned gloomy.

"Release Gilgamesh, now…"

Shyirin felt relieved. They were nearly there. A few more baby steps and they will be in front of the steps.

"We're almost there, Shyirin… Hang on…"

"Okay…"

Suddenly, they felt a sudden tremor. Shyirin nearly lost her balance but edged back to the wall. Sanzo felt worried.

"What's that?"

They heard some noise that was sounded unearthly. It was deep growl and a piercing shriek at the same time. Sanzo quickly grabbed Shyirin's hand and ran.

"Sanzo!"

"Shyirin, run as fast your feet can carry you!"

"Why?"

"Just do it if you wanna live!"

Shyirin and Sanzo began to pack up pace. They could hear something headed fast. Shyirin looked down and looked horrified. It was a large greenish-blue worm with huge tiny teeth surrounding his mouth which was as big as the hole began crunching up the stairs as it goes. Shyirin could feel her heart in terror. They were nearly there but the worm was gaining on them. Suddenly, Sanzo halted.

"What now?"

There was a large gap between them and the end. The pieces of the stairs had crumbled when the tremor struck. Sanzo felt the pressure on him.

"Sanzo, hurry!"

Sanzo had no time to think. The only thing can do now is…

"Shyirin, on the count of three, we jump. Okay? One, two, THREE!"

Sanzo and Shyirin made a leap for it. Sanzo reached the ground safely and pulled Shyirin in with him. In the nick of time, they went reached the end and went into the little space as the worm passed by them rapidly. Shyirin held close to Sanzo as they watch the worm disappear from sight. It was all over. The worst for now was over. Sanzo and Shyirin stood there, catching their breath. They calmed down and walked on forward. They were at the front of the door.

"This is it. Are you ready, Shyirin?"

Shyirin nodded. They've gone this far. There's no turning back now. Sanzo twisted the doorknob open…

The air was cold and filled with murderous intentions. Shyirin felt her body jolt as she walked following Sanzo's back. It was as if the electricity was moving in the floor, causing a static charge. The lightning struck and thunder echoed through the empty halls. It was dark but they could make out a little when the lightning struck. Shyirin shook her head and held Sanzo's hand.

"What's wrong, Shyirin?"

"………"

Her hand was shaking like a frail flower in the wind. She was holding his hand in one hand and the other clasping her ear.

"I forgot… you were always afraid of thunder and lightning."

"……"

"You don't have to go on if you don't want to."

She shook her head and held Sanzo's hand tightly. Sanzo sighed again and smacked his head.

"I also forgot you're afraid of being alone more than anything else in this world. I hate this situation we're in as well but the lightning is not going to end soon, I'm afraid. Come on. Let's go."

He led her as they walked even faster. Finally, they came to a halt as they could see a dark figure in the dark. Lightning struck again. Zeltorfe was in front of them with his gigantic sword as the raging wind blew, carrying his torn robes and dark locks to float momentarily in the air.

"You must be Zeltorfe."

"Well said, Genjo Sanzo. How do you like the place so far?"

"Terrible. You'd make a terrible interior decorator."

"…Suits my mood."

"Enough games, Zeltorfe! Let's end this matter now."

"Don't rush this. Is this a death wish? Wouldn't you like to say anything to your girlfriend?"

Then, lightning struck once more and Zeltorfe was gone. Sanzo looked around franticly.

"Where'd he go?"

"Sanzo…"

There was hysterical, malicious laughter in the air. He could see a bolt of lightning coming at them.

"Shyirin, run!"

He pushed Shyirin's hand away as they both got separated. Lightning struck at the place where they were standing before. The ground sizzled. Sanzo knew this was far too dangerous. He and Shyirin got separated. He had no idea where Zeltorfe is. This felt like a disadvantage game. It was as if Zeltorfe had been waiting for them all.

"Look out, Sanzo… I'll kill you with my hands and make you suffer. You'll regret not dying now."

"I'm a tough nut. You can't beat me that easy. What do you want?"

"I want… revenge… and I'll get it…"