Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Tear-diluted Beer for the Brokenhearted ❯ Tear-diluted Beer for the Brokenhearted ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey, another Saiyuki one-shot. :) Oooo and it's a songfic…these are so fun! :P Don't ask me why, but I was listening to the Dixie Chicks the other day and I had another idea at Goku's expense. It had me entertained; hopefully you will be too at least a little bit.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Saiyuki or anything related. Kazuya Minekura is responsible for all that. I am only a humble story-maker - a squirrel just trying to get a nut, if you will, and this is one good way to exercise my craft. I didn't receive nor do I want any compensation for this. And the song is courtesy of the Dixie Chicks.
 
Final note: As always, please enjoy.
 
Tear-diluted Beer for the Brokenhearted
 
The music drifting from the side of the room was low and not to his particular tastes, the lighting was shabby, the wood of the tables and counter were soggy from the endless spilling of drinks, and the drinks were nothing but the lowest kind of swill. Not that he had much experience in places like this or beverages such as the one he was nursing, but even Son Goku could see this was one of the seediest bars in town. He didn't care though; he was quite capable of taking care of himself! A bitter smile and loud scoff flew from his lips and he guzzled the remaining portion at the bottom of his third bottle. A flash of a certain, swiped gold card and another bottle was placed in front of his limp hand.
 
Everyone was miserable here. It seemed there was a bright Day-Glow sign over the establishment that flashed “YE OF HEARTBROKEN SELF-LOATHING, HALF OFF ON FIRST TEN BEERS!!” How could Goku ignore such a steal? The bottle found its way to his lips and he sucked the disgusting, sickly amber colored liquid into his warming stomach before slamming it down and burying his head in the crook of his arm, mumbling in a pathetic voice about suns and undying love. Silence drifted around the room as the music stopped and all voices grew quieter to keep secret their own personal Hells. The metallic noise of a coin falling through a slot and then a voice came out over the speaker.
 
“For the life of me, I can't believe
That you're on your knees, beggin' please.
All the pushin' away and puttin' down,
Can't you see you're gettin' the run around?”
 
Great, just what he needed. Goku scoffed again and accidentally nudged the drunk next to him. Country music - the music of heartache.
 
“Why?” Goku mumbled and ran his hands through his hair, making it stick up further. “I'm his little saru.” He said and looked to the same person he hit earlier with large golden eyes, fogged with drunkenness. They had no answers for him and turned their back while taking their drink with them. Said “little saru” pouted at being ignored but kept to himself after that.
 
“Oh it's plain to see you'd rescue me
From my loneliness, so called unhappiness.
Oh I didn't mean to cause you pain,
I've got nothin' to lose and nothin' to gain.”
 
His ears perked up while he sipped his Bahama Mama - compliments of the sympathetic bartender - with his umbrella straw and played with the small sword. Pausing from etching “Goku luvs Sanzo 4Eva” into the bar with his booze covered toy, he listened and his heart thrummed in his throat at the words the twangy voice was belting out.
 
“Ever since the mountain!” Goku hiccupped and nodded toward his new friend, Ms. Leather Skirt Lady. “Yep. You know, he set me free? The chains fell right off! And—“ Goku stopped to take another drink and failed to continue with his story. “Why won't he love me?” He whined to no one in particular and proceeded to slip from his balance on his elbow and smacked his head into the bar.
 
“And don't waste your heart on a wild thing,
She's got a soul that won't settle on one thing.
Whoa this bird can't sing when you've tied its wings,
Don't waste your heart on me.”
 
“Gods, they know!” Goku shot his head up. “How can they know my torment?” He asked an elderly lady of the evening who only shrugged and patted his hand while he played with her fluffy fox wrap about her shoulders. She had no idea he was talking about the song; her old ears couldn't hear it anyway. “I mean, of course, they're talking about a girl and Sanzo's a guy but basically it's the same difference, right?”
 
“It's funny how the girls get burned,
And honey as far as I'm concerned
The tables have turned.”
 
“I guess that just means,” Goku's lip started its trembling `I'm-a-sad-unloved-monkey-and-I-need-a-hug' movements. “That what I'm feelin' ain't nothin' new and it's not anything but meaningless feelings and Sanzo doesn't love me and he never will and I might as well be dead!” He wailed and threw his head back down, crying until a puddle of sparkling Goku Tears â„¢ encircled his lowered face.
 
“And don't waste your heart on a wild thing,
She's got a soul that won't settle on one thing.
Whoa this bird can't sing when you've tied its wings,
Don't waste your heart on me.”
 
“Are you quite finished with badgering the local drunks, Son Goku?” Goku stopped and sniffled, he knew that voice. Oh man, did he not need this right now!
 
“Leave me alone you, you…uh…erm…” Homura chuckled at his earth spirit's drunken repartee, which Goku didn't enjoy at all his mocking of his pain. “Shut up! Pervert, let me drown my sorrows in peace!” He turned, throwing his little sword at him and it bounced off the war god's chest with a plastic thud. Firm hands grabbed him by the arms and gently pulled him from his stool and onto wobbly legs.
 
“I think you've done that for long enough, my little one.” He smirked softly, something he was the master and inventor of, and looked down at the shiny-eyed demon. “Come on, it's no challenge to beat you when you reek of self-pity and rum. I'll walk you home. Wouldn't want my Gaia baby to befall a horrible fate and be taken advantage of in his vulnerable condition, would I?” He added. Grabbing the gold card and shoving it in his back pocket, Goku leaned on him for support.
 
“And I'm here to apologize,
My heart can't compromise.
Don't waste your heart on me.”
 
“Homura, why couldn't you have golden hair?” He asked and Homura almost snorted a laugh at his ridiculous but still very adorable monkey. Goku raised his hand to touch Homura's hair. The god held his breath, waiting for the longed for contact when the boy went limp in his hold and his hand fell to dangle at his side - he was completely out. He sighed, baka saru, and picked him up to carry him out the door. Sanzo better appreciate how honorable I really am.
 
Fin
 
Something about Homura getting hit by a tiny, plastic sword just tickles me to no end. *snorts*