GetBackers Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete Data ❯ Fleißige Umstände ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part 2

Fleißige Umstände

 

 

~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~

 

 

We didn't know what was happening.

 

We just knew it was wrong.

 

They weren't from here

 

They just wanted to go back home

 

She shouldn't have done what she did.

 

Shouldn't of said what she said.

 

"Strenuous circumstances"

 

Was her explanation.

 

We all know there were other things on Une's mind

 

 

~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~

 

 

"Ok, let me get this straight, you're retrieval specialists."

 

"Yes."

 

"Ok, I buy that. And how did you get here?" Duo asked.

 

"I don't know." Ban replied.

 

"You don't know, or you don't remember?" Heero asked skeptically

 

"In case you hadn't noticed, I was out cold."

 

"Until you tried to kill my partner."

 

"Listen, if I really was gonna kill your partner, he'd've been long dead and nothing more then a puddle of blood and crushed brains on the ground." Ban said.

 

"Why do I have a hard time believing that?" Heero retorted.

 

"'Cause I'm not an obvious person." Ban deadpanned.

 

Duo just blinked at that. "Well, at least he's got a sense of humor… If not extremely twisted and dark."

 

"Grotesque, don't forget grotesque." Emishi chimed in with a manic grin on his face.

 

"Ok, do you even know where you are?" Duo asked.

 

"Judging that you both are speaking Japanese, I'd say somewhere in Japan." Shido said mocking them. Ban snickered. Ginji giggled and Emishi began whistling.

 

"Ok…Stupid question. Where were you before?"

 

"Hitochii Labs, in Tokyo, Japan." Ban said.

 

Heero and Duo stared at each other.

 

"What?"

 

"There is no Hitochii Labs, anywhere, in Japan." Duo said.

 

"What?" Ban asked dryly.

 

"Seriously, there isn't one. And as far as I know, there's never been one."

 

"B-but, the machine, the flash, the light, the VENTS!" Ginji's arms were flailing around.

 

"Um… Flash?" Duo looked confused.

 

"Yeah! We were in a lab with this huge machine and this little button started blinking and then there was a flash and-"

 

"Ginji, stop." Ban interrupted. "We were told it was a it was some type of molecular accelerator. We were sent to retrieve disks that had supposedly been stolen by Hitochii Hitaru."

 

"Hitochii Hitaru… Wow, sounds like the kind of name some American would pull out of their ass when writing some random fanfic." Duo said.

 

"That's what I said." Emishi replied.

 

Ban and Heero both looked mildly horrified by that.

 

"Ahem," Shido cut in, breaking the silence "Anyway, it looks like we've been screwed over though."

 

"Yeah, distinctly. If it had been indeed a molecular accelerator, we'd be dead, not standing in some old decrepit warehouse with a pair of gun wielding cops."

 

"We are not cops, we're Preventers. There is a difference you know." Duo said sounding distinctly annoyed.

 

"I might if I'd ever heard of one." Emishi replied.

 

"You've never heard of the Preventers?" Heero asked looking extremely lost.

 

"Um, well, no…" Emishi said.

 

"Should we've?" Shido asked.

 

"Um, we've only been maintaining the peace and preventing the outbreak of another war between the Colonies and Earth for the past two years. Quite publicly I might add."

 

"Colonies? What colonies?" Ginji asked.

 

Heero and Duo just stared at each other.

 

"You've never heard of the Colonies? How can you not know about the Colonies? They've only been around for 200 YEARS!" Duo swore these people have lost they're minds. "Did that flash spasm your brain or something!?" Heero placed a hand on Duo's shoulder as he tried to calm him down.

 

"Ok, how much do you remember from before the blast, or whatever, happened?"

 

"Everything, all the way back to living in Mugenjou."

 

"MUGENJOU!?" Heero and Duo said in perfect unison

 

"Um, yeah." Ginji blinked at then.

 

"That's definitely not likely." Heero said.

 

"Um, why?"

 

"Mugenjou's been gone, supposedly, for, oh man, let me think, about 250 years." Duo said.

 

Ban, Ginji, Emishi and Shido just gaped at them.

 

 

 

~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~

 

 

"What do you think?" Duo asked his partner as they made their way down the corridor of Preventers HQ to Une's office.

 

"I don't know. If it's the truth, we have 4 legends on our hands. If they're lying, they're really good at it."

 

"Or they're insane and actually believe what they told us."

 

"There's that too."

 

"I almost believe them. I mean, I don't know, from what they told us, it seems too much like they've actually lived it."

 

"Not like they read all the stories and are reenacting them." Heero said thoughtfully.

 

"Exactly," Duo replied. "What they told us is different from all the stories I've read about them."

 

"Like Mugenjou. It's always was depicted as a anarchistic haven, not the hell they described."

 

"It's kind of like, if you take all the right pieces from all the stories and put them together right, you'll get the true story." Duo said kind of wistfully

 

"But if it's true, how the hell did they get here?" Heero asked.

 

~\*/~\*/~\*/~\*/~\*/~\*/~\*/~

 

The retrieval specialists were all in a waiting room in main Preventers HQ in Tokyo. Ginji was sitting next to Emishi snuggled up against his side, his big brown eyes opened wide. Emishi was rubbing Ginji's side trying to reassure his lover. Shido was sitting next to Emishi watching Ban pace back and forth through the waiting area.

 

"Ban, you planning on getting water when you're done to make an indoor lake?"

 

"Yes, want to help? You could be a dear and get some water." Ban replied, not losing stride.

 

"I see…" Shido grabbed Ban's wrist and pulled him down into the seat next to him. "You're making me nervous."

 

Ban blinked up at him. He then glared and started mumbling something under his breath.

 

"Okay," Duo said entering the waiting room. "Une wants to talk to you guys now." Duo looked a bit strained.

 

The four retrieval specialists got up and followed the Preventer down a corridor and into a good sized corner office. Standing behind a desk covered in manila file folders was a medium height brunette woman. Her hair up in a tight bun, wearing a pair of wide round wire frame glasses and a gray 2-piece pants suit, she made Ban cringe slightly. This woman's scary… Ban thought to himself.

 

Ginji was still keeping a firm grip on Emishi's arm, which grew tighter when he looked at the stern looking woman.

 

~\*/~\*/~\*/~\*/~\*/~\*/~\*/~

 

They're a motley group, thought Une All of their clothes are either too big, torn, or old. They sort of look like they belong in a gang… Especially the skinny one. If they are who Duo and Heero seem to think they are, then it fits…I suppose…

 

"Ahem," Une cleared her throat, "So far, what I seem to have on my hands here are a few legends."

 

"So we've heard." Ban  replied cautiously.

 

Une raised an eyebrow at that. "I see. Now, any of you four want to tell me how you all apparently were thrown a good 250-350 years into the future?"

 

"Hundred year interval? A bit broad ain't it?" The long-haired one asked.

 

"Well since your existence has been seen only as legend at best by anyone over the age of 15, save our Mr. Maxwell here," Une said gesturing to the braided Preventer, "At exactly what point you all were alive is rather difficult to determine. Especially because birth records of only a few of the said "legends" have been found , and only one of them is standing in my office. There have been a few documents including a few of the other people who supposedly existed during your time, so it's been a bit hard to pinpoint when exactly you all existed, or if any of the names were real."

 

"2004." Ban spoke up

 

"Excuse me?" Une raised an eyebrow at him

 

"July 18th, 2004 was the date when we were ever so nicely plopped down in this pleasant time."

 

"Uh-hu. You seem to have been 'plopped' a good 300 years forward in time."

 

"Lovely."

 

"I think you all should sit down." Une held her hand out to the six chairs. Only Emishi and Ginji sat down. The two Preventers, Ban and Shido stayed standing. Une sighed.

 

"Say, for a moment, I believe you. How much of the stories are true?"

 

"That depends, what are the stories?"

 

"Let's see," Duo said "You, Ban, are supposedly a snake god incarnate, Ginji's like, Thor or Zeus or something, Shido was some type of Beast Master, and Emishi was supposed to be some type of trickster."

 

"Oh, yes Duo, let's act like you haven't read the manga, watched the anime and read all the books several hundred times."

 

"Shuddup, destructo boy. You had a few too." Duo sulked.

 

"Um… Right, I'm gonna ignore that for now…" Ban said "Now, now, I am not a snake god, I have one in my arm."

 

"You're kidding me right?" Une asked.

 

"No, no I'm not. And about Ginji, he's not a god, but a walking talking human version of an electric eel with split personalities."

 

"Yup, that's about the best way to describe him…" Emishi said.

 

"Electric eel?" Heero asked.

 

"Yeah," Ginji said and shifted "Emishi, move so I don't hurt you."

 

Emishi scooted over and smirked.

 

Ginji held out his hand, which was immediately engulfed in electricity. Soon, his entire body was.

 

Duo nudged Heero in the ribs and smirked "How much you wanna bet that that Goddess chick's ficcy about Ban's hair was true?" Duo muttered

 

Heero looked from Ban to Ginji "I dunno… It's possible…"

 

Shido's eyes flicked between Duo and Heero, then he glanced at Ban, who had an "I don't wanna know." look on his face.

 

"Impressive…"

 

Ban spoke up again "Also, I'd like to point out that Shido is indeed the Beast Master, and Emishi was known as the Bloody Joker."

 

Une glanced between Duo and Emishi looking slightly nervous.

 

"That's…Unsettling." Heero said.

 

"Why?" Emishi asked.

 

Heero pointed a thumb at Duo "Shinigami."

 

"Oh…"

 

 

~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~

 

 

The Retrieval Specialists had been placed in two rooms in a hotel near HQ. As far as they could tell, they were receiving a lot of trust from Une, a lot more then should be allotted 4 complete strangers with no records that appeared quite conveniently in a warehouse that was being used for a stake out.

 

Ban and Shido were sharing a room and Emishi & Ginji were across the hall. Heero and Duo had gotten them checked in and had left them with their home numbers to contact them if they needed anything. Heero also had to show them how to use the vidphone. Luckily, it was close enough to a regular telephone that they all caught on quickly.

 

Ban was sitting on the edge of the bed, Shido was sitting in an armchair.

 

"Is it just me who thinks this is a bit odd."

 

"No."

 

"Oh, good. So I'm not crazy."

 

"Now I didn't say that…"

 

"Ha ha, very funny Shido. Really."

 

"Um, did you notice that we were automatically roomed together, in a room with one bed…" Shido asked.

 

Ban blinked for a moment then punched a hole into a brick wall and glared through it. Something that sounded like a cross between a hyena and an old hag laughing could be heard on the other side as Shido moved Ban away from it then proceeded to fix the wall.

 

 

~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~

 

 

"I think Une's gonna try to make them Preventers." Heero said.

 

"That's always good… Not." Duo replied

 

"I know. I get the distinct impression that they don't want to be here."

 

"Talk about it. Ginji looked like he was gonna cry."

 

"That would've been a travesty."

 

"Really, he had the kicked puppy look goin' there."

 

"Kinda' reminds me of Quatre… I wonder if he'd walk out of a mobile suit with hands up and say 'Let's make piece!'"

 

"Probably… Or act like an EMP and short it out…" Duo snickered.

 

"Well, there is that." Heero deadpanned

 

"You think they'll have a choice?"

 

"Nope."

 

 

~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~

 

 

"I want you four to join the Preventers."

 

"You want us to what?" Ban asked, staring at Une as if she'd grown five or six extra heads.

 

"For now, we have no way of getting you all home, but until then, I'd like to make use of your skills." Une replied.

 

The retrieval specialists were all standing in front of Une's desk looking like they all wanted to kill her.

 

"Not. A chance. In Hell." Ban said.

 

"Ok, so you'd rather sit in a prison cell?" Une said conversationally.

 

"What?" Emishi asked "You're kidding me right?"

 

"No."

 

"Wow… That's just wow." Shido said shaking his head.

 

"Well, your decision is…?"

 

Ban looked back at Ginji, then Shido and Emishi. They all nodded their heads. "Fine."

 

"Good, so we're at an agreement?" Une didn't wait for an answer before pushing on "Now, we will need to create backgrounds for you, just in case, though I don't think we'll need them. Thanks to Vice Foreign Minister Dorlin, The Preventers pretty much go unchecked. We'll also need to get you fitted for uniforms-"

 

"No." Shido and Ban said in unison.

 

"What was that?" Une asked casually… Er, as casually as possible for her.

 

"I refuse, on all counts, to wear a uniform. I'll take your stupid desk job, I'll go out on all your little missions and help keep the piece and all that shit, but I refuse to wear a uniform." Ban said.

 

"I'm with him on this." Shido supplied.

 

Une took a deep breath pushing her glasses up on her face. "Right. Any other objections?"

 

 

 

~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~/*\~

 

 

"Okay, you got it?" Duo asked.

 

Ban looked over the papers, ran his hand through his spiked hair, and sighed. "Yeah, I think. So after every mission we gotta write up one of these?"

 

"Yeah. You might wanna keep 'em short though. Some of the people here can seriously stretch fifty words into fifty pages."

 

"How do you stretch 'These people died and we won.' into a fifty pager?"

 

"Don't ask. I personally think they're trying to impress Une, where in all reality they're just aggravating her."

 

"It would aggravate the hell out of me."

 

Duo snorted as a Chinese guy who looked to be about the same age, and was relatively the same height as Duo, approached them with a file "Here Duo, Lady Une told me to bring this back to you."

 

"Oh, thanks 'Fei-"

 

"Wufei." He corrected. It seemed to Ban as if he really didn't care.

 

"-This is Mido Ban. He's been recruited as of yesterday."

 

"Oh," Wufei said, bowing slightly to Ban and held out his hand. "Duo and Heero have told me about you and your friends. You're also the buzz of the office, so I'm pretty sure there are a good fifty rumors going around about who you four are and where you came from."

 

Ban smirked and shook Wufei's hand "Yeah, I never really liked desk and office jobs for that reason. Too many people talking, not enough saying anything."

 

Wufei laughed.

 

"Hey," Duo said "I got an idea. How about you, along with Emishi, Ginji and Shido come with us tomorrow night to Tonk's. It's a karaoke bar we go to every Friday after work to keep sane. Kinda' our weekly ritual, if you will. This way you can meet all the cool people first, then ignore the rest without worrying you're missing out on anything."

 

Ban snerked. "Is everything this easy now?"

 

Duo gave him a cocky grin "Naw, you're just lucky to know me."

 

Wufei pinched him "Bad Duo, what have I told you about showing off your greatness?"

 

"I know, I know, not at work, yak, yak, yak…"