GetBackers Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures In Bansitting ❯ Part 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part 7:
 
Ginji, after getting job details from Hevn and leaving a message on Himiko's cell phone, bade farewell to Hevn and Paul and went out to the car. He had everything he needed to take care of Ban… well, as best that he could, considering he was living in a car. After making sure Ban was secure in the car seat, Ginji tilted the front seat back and sighed. He was exhausted, and pretty sure Ban was too, from the way the infant fell right asleep. Ginji reached up to stroke the baby's head. “Hey, Ban-chan. You doing okay? I'm doing my best by you. I wanna take care of you the way you took care of me when I first left Mugenjou with you.” He made sure that Ban was wrapped securely in the blanket to ward off the chill. “It's okay, Ban-chan. You're safe with me.” Ginji stroked a fingertip down Ban's chubby cheek. “I have a job lined up for tomorrow, Ban-chan… I don't want to go, but I have to. I have you to take care of. You're my most precious person, Ban-chan. So…be good for Shido, alright?” Ban sighed in his sleep and nuzzled against Ginji's hand. “You and Shido will be fine.” Ginji said, mostly to reassure himself.
 
Oh how wrong he was.
 
~~
 
“…and you have to be sure he stays warm! Ban-chan's really sensitive to the cold.” Ginji was telling Shido before going to meet with the client. Himiko was waiting at the Honky Tonk for him.
 
“Ginji, Snake Baby and I will be fine, okay? Go do your job.”
 
Ginji kissed Ban on the head before heading back to the Ladybug. “Be good, Ban-chan. I promise I'll come back to get you, okay? See you guys later~!” He trotted off with a wave.
 
“It's just you and me, Snake Baby.” Shido said as he and Ban watched Ginji drive off. “So let's-” Ban started wailing the minute the Ladybug was out of sight, practically screaming his tiny head off. “Hey now, enough of that. Ginji promised he was coming back, didn't he?” Shido patted Ban's back soothingly. “Come on, stop crying… please?” Ban continued to wail. “Alright, how about a bottle, hm? Are you hungry?” Ban just cried harder, reaching out in the direction that Ginji had gone in. “Damn it, Snake Baby, he said he was coming back!” He turned and carried Ban into the house. “He promised, and Ginji never breaks his promises to you.” Ban's crying was slowing down as Ban started to fall asleep. “Shhh, it's alright. Ginji promised he was coming back, okay? So stop crying.” Shido murmured.
 
`You suck at raising cubs, Shido.' His lioness yawned. `Feed him. He is the runt of the litter and needs extra nutrients, since you humans are soooo picky about leaving the weak ones to die.'
 
“He's not weak.” Shido grumbled. He'd been punched by Ban enough to know that, even if the Snake Bastard pulled his punches when they fought, never mind that Shido did as well.
 
`Whatever, little one. Just feed the cub and put him to bed.'
 
“Stupid old hag.” Shido grumbled as he carried the now sniffling Ban into the kitchen. “It's okay, little one. We're gonna give you a bottle, and then take a nap. Okay? Okay.”
 
Ban sniffled and stared at the door. “Bagoo…”
 
“Bagoo? You mean Ginji?”
 
“Bagoo!”
 
“Ginji's coming back later.”
 
“BAGOO!” Ban started wailing again.
 
“Bagoo's not here right now, okay?!” Shido's patience was wearing thin as he prepped a bottle for Ban. “Please, for the love of GOD, stop crying!”
 
“Bagoo…” Ban reached for the bottle in Shido's hand.
 
“Bagoo…means bottle? You want your bottle?” Shido started feeding Ban. “Okay, there, see? You got your bagoo.”
 
Ban started eating, holding onto the bottle over Shido's hands.
 
“Geez… You really are a pain in the ass, you know that?”
 
Ban sniffled around the bottle.
 
“Now don't start that again.” Shido pulled the bottle away once it was empty and began burping Ban. “It's okay…we'll have lots of fun. But we'll have a nap first. Watching you cry wore me out.”
 
“Eh?”
 
“Yeah, it did. Naptime, okay?”
 
“…Abbu?”
 
Shido gave Ban a blank look. “Right….whatever that means.”
 
“Abbuuuuuuu.”
 
“You are way too chatty for my liking, Snake Baby.” Shido scowled, annoyed.
 
Secretly, though? He was enjoying himself.
 
End Part 7