GetBackers Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures In Bansitting ❯ Part 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part 9
Shido sighed as he held the phone between his ear and his shoulder. “I'm telling you Kazuki, every day this past week I've watched Ban, he'd sit in front of the front door after he had his nap and won't move until Ginji returns. If he needs his diaper changed, I have to do it there or he screams himself raw. And when he's hungry, he screeches `Bagoo' at the top of his lungs and-”
 
“Wait…'Bagoo'?”
 
“His word for bottle,” Shido rolled his eyes. “Anyway, he screams `Bagoo' at the top of his lungs and when I try to move him, he screams more. At least he's stopped screaming when Ginji leaves.” Shido had asked Ginji to leave something that smells like him behind for when Shido needed to get Ban to take a nap, so now Ban clutched Ginji's green bandana like it was a security blanket, dragging the poor piece of cloth everywhere.
 
“I have never known you to be so patient with Ban.” Kazuki mused.
 
“He's just a baby, Kazuki; of course I need patience with him. But seriously, it's starting to drive me nuts! I can't take him out of the house if he's gonna be like that and we need groceries.”
 
“Maybe he needs to get out of the house? Tell you what, I'll be over soon and we can take him food shopping.”
 
“You'll come with us?”
 
“Of course. I promised Ginji-san I would help out and seeing you suffer in public has always been a favorite pastime of mine.”
 
“…I hope he gives you split ends, you vile cu-”
 
“I'll be there in a half an hour. Ta~” and the other end of the line ended with a click.
 
“Snake Baby, why haven't I killed him yet?”
 
“Abbu?”
 
“No, not naptime. Kazuki.”
 
“Zuza?”
 
“Yes. Kazuki.” Shido was beginning to decipher Ban's baby-talk. “Bagoo” meant bottle; “Abbu” meant nap; “Zuza” was Kazuki, and Shido had somehow become “Eebo”. The only person who hadn't gotten a nickname had been Ginji, but Ban never said his name, and Emishi, who hadn't met the tiny Snake Baby yet. “We're leaving once Kazuki gets here, so do you want food?”

“Bagoo.”
 
“Right.” Shido started making Ban a bottle, in addition to making extras to take with him incase Ban got hungry while they were out.
 
~~
 
Kazuki carried Ban in his arms as they walked around the store, a pacifier firmly in Ban's mouth and Ginji's green bandana clutched tightly in one pudgy hand. “So other than juice, milk and eggs, what do we need?”
 
“We need-” Shido was cut off by a feminine squeal.
 
“Fuyuki-san, I can't believe you were hiding this from me~ I didn't know you were married!” The woman standing before them was a small, heavy-set woman who had to be in at least her sixties. “And your baby is so cute~! How old is he?”
 
“Uh-” Kazuki opened his mouth to explain the situation when Shido cut him off.
 
“Sorry about that, Todomori-san. This is Ban, and my wife, Kazuki.” Shido fought back an evil chuckle. `Take that, Kazuki! Who's suffering now?! Mwuahahahahahaaa!' He thought, smiling down at Kazuki.
 
“Oh, you must be so proud to have such a beautiful baby!”
 
“Yeah, Ban here is our pride and joy.”
 
Thankfully, Todomori and Shido both missed the looks Kazuki and Ban were giving Shido. One clearly said `Are you out of your MIND?!!', and the other, `Eebo, the old lady smells funny.'
 
Kazuki was seething. No one made a fool of the Prince of Battle Terror, Kazuki of the Strings, and got away with it! Not even the Beastmaster. Kazuki smirked as a plan started to form in his mind. He wrapped his free arm around Shido's waist and stood on tiptoes to kiss the taller man's cheek. “Why don't you stay here and catch up with Todomori-san while Banban and I go on ahead, darling?” Kazuki batted his lashes at Shido before taking the basket from him and padding off, smirking in satisfaction at the stunned look on the man's face. `Take that Fuyuki! You talked your way into this lie, and now you can deal with it.
 
Kazuki hadn't expected to be cornered in the bread aisle by a group of very angry women.
 
~~
 
“How dare you?!”
 
“You tramp!”
 
“How dare you steal Fuyuki-san away from us?!”
 
Kazuki clutched Ban to his chest. “What-?”
 
“Who the hell are you to steal Fuyuki-san right out from under us?! And bear his child, no less!”
 
“Ban isn't Shido's.” Kazuki said.
 
WHAT?!?!?!!!! YOU CHEATED ON FUYUKI-SAN?!?!?!?!?!!!
 
Ban was watching this with an irritated expression.
 
“No! That's not it at all! Shido knows Ban isn't his! I had Ban before I even started dating Shido!” `I can't believe I'm catering to his bullshit.' Kazuki growled to himself as he began to weave a tale about his and Shido's whirlwind romance, and Ban's `deceased' father.
 
~~
 
“-and so Shido and I got married.” Kazuki finished. He sent a silent apology to Juubei for killing him off in such a horrible manner and made a mental note to call his friend later. He'd probably be amused by the tale Kazuki had spun.
 
They were all sitting in a semi circle in the bread aisle, eating the chocolate chip cookies one woman had opened and sniffling.
 
“That's so romantic.”
 
“Fuyuki-san is such a sweet and noble man, raising your son like he was his own…” The group of women all nodded and as a group then stood, bowed to Kazuki and left.
 
Kazuki sighed and let his head drop forward. “I can't believe they bought that load of bull.” He muttered to Ban, who had fallen asleep during the whole ordeal.
 
“Me neither.” Shido said, leaning against the edge of the shelves of bread.
 
“How long have you been there?!” Kazuki snapped.
 
“I just got here, but I heard the whole story while I was talking to Todomori-san. Good thing too, since she asked how we met, and I just repeated your story to her.” Shido held out a hand to help Kazuki up. “How'd you come up with such sappy drivel?”
 
“I read it in one of Sakura's romance novels.”
 
“Ah.” Shido picked up their basket and brushed his thumb across Kazuki's lower lip. “You've got some chocolate here…” Shido licked the chocolate and cookie crumbs off his thumb, watching Kazuki blush with half lidded eyes.
 
“Don't do that sort of thing in public, you perverted barbarian!” Kazuki hissed, covering Ban's eyes.
 
“If we're married, we should act the part, hm?”
 
“Die.” Kazuki growled. “Die and be reborn a decent human being.”
 
Shido laughed and followed Kazuki down the bread aisle.
 
End Part 9