Ghost Hunt Fan Fiction ❯ No More Words ❯ Haunted ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Imjustwritingabunchofuselesstextherebecauseicantseemtogetdividers towork.
 
Bou-san emitted a low whistle as they walked up the gravel path to the front door of what could very well become Mai's new home. “Damn, girly, you didn't tell me these people were loaded.”
Mai blew a whisp of hair away from her face, struggling to hold her suitcase, which she had accidentally over-packed. “They're not. According to Shizumasa-san, this house was sold to them dirt-cheap.” She said as she glanced around. The 120-year old mansion looked exactly its age, with washed-out white paint, peeling walls, and cracked windows. It was located at the top of a cliff, overlooking a beach, and she could see the Pacific Ocean from where she was standing. She shuddered slightly, realizing that this house could pass off as a stereo-typical haunted mansion, something which she wasn't too happy to note.
“So are you going to stand there staring at the house, or are you going to knock?” drawled Ayako, walking up behind the rest of them. Naru was standing off to the side with Lin, taking in the house's surroundings, and keeping a careful eye on Masako, who seemed to be looking around slightly suspicious. Mai rang the doorbell, and she could hear it echoing throughout the house. A woman in her mid-40's opened the door, wearing a smile that would shame a clown.
“Mai-chan! I'm so glad to see you're finally here! Oh, and these must be your friends! Come in, come in!” she ushered them enthusiastically, and Mai could already tell that the next two weeks were going to be something out of a comedy movie.
She was half-right.
 
Weemoreuselesstextjimmycrackcornandidonttcarejimmycrackcornandido ntcare
 
Mai's great-aunt, Keiko Shizumasa, was from her mother's side of the family, thrice removed. She had only recently found out that she had a niece, and thus had proceeded to hunt her down. Thankfully, she merely showed everyone to their rooms and left the pestering and question-asking for later, after they had all been settled in. Their rooms were located on the third floor, and resembled hotel rooms in a way. The house was big enough that everyone could have their own rooms, something which that the women appreciated immensely.
Mai looked around her room - that sounded strange to her…HER room - and began to unpack, taking out her shirts and opening a drawer to place them in. For a second, something red and glittering caught her eye, but when she looked again, the drawer was empty, as it had always been. While she was learning that it was never a good idea to brush off instances such as these, she decided that it had probably been her imagination, and finished unpacking. Once she was finished, she opened the French-doors to the balcony and stepped out into the warm sea breeze. She looked down, over the edge of the balcony and was suddenly struck with vertigo. The balcony was suspended directly over the cliff, and if she wasn't careful, she could fall over the edge. `What a horrible way to go.' She thought, walking back inside and leaving her room to go see how the others were settling in. She saw Takigawa, Ayako, Masako, and John had already left their rooms and seemed to be headed for Naru's room. She stopped at the doorway, looking in, and saw him talking seriously to Masako, who had a perplexed look on her face.
“Something wrong, Naru?” she asked, fighting back a wave of jealousy that always threatened to overcome her whenever Naru and Masako were within ten feet of each other.
“Masako senses a spirit in the house.” He replied, nodding at Lin to start setting up base. Mai groaned inwardly. `I shouldn't have jinxed it.'
“It's not a vengeful spirit…” supplied Masako, glancing around, “though it seems to be searching for something.”
“Mai, set up the infrared cameras in every room on the third floor and take the temperatures of all the rooms in the house.” ordered Naru, causing Mai to make a face at him when he had turned his back. Masako giggled against her will as Mai grabbed the equipment she needed and headed out to begin her task.
So much for a short vacation.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
When Mai returned with the temperature readings, she found the others spread out in Naru's room.
“I'm positive it's an earth spirit.” Piped Ayako, causing the others to snicker.
“Because it's always an earth spirit, right Mai?” scoffed Bou-san, looking up at the girl from his seat on the floor. She grinned, walking to Naru and handing him the readings, which he proceeded to examine.
“The third room down the corridor, Mai's room, has a low temperature, but not low enough to be unusual.” He stated mildly. “Everything else looks fine, but we'll continue to keep an eye on things.” There was a moment of silence while everyone realized that Naru hadn't issued out any new orders, and in fact, didn't seem all that interested in getting too in depth with the ghost hunting, meaning they were home-free for the time being. Takigawa stood up and stretched, making a bee-line for the door.
“Well, if that's it, then I'm off to the beach. The water looks awfully inviting, and it's rather hot today.” he said, winking at the others to follow suit. Everyone agreed that it seemed like a good idea, and headed to their rooms to change. Mai, the last to leave, looked back to where Naru was sitting, typing away on his keyboard.
“Are you coming?” she asked, though she knew exactly what his answer would be.
Silence.
In Kazuya Shibuya's book, stupid questions merit no response.