Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex Fan Fiction ❯ Lanslide ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Togusa got home late, as usual. His daughter was already in bed, but he found his wife awake, rocking the baby. She smiled at him as he bent to kiss his sleeping son.
"I'll be right out." She whispered. "Dinner's in the fridge."
When she came out the plate was rotating in the microwave. Togusa leaned on the counter, his eyes closed.
"Long day." She kissed his cheek. It wasn't a question; they were all long days. "Sit down. I'll bring you dinner."
He obeyed. "Kids okay?"
"Little angels. Except when they're not."
He smiled. "Oh, hey. I have a question. Maybe you can give me insight. Women's intuition."
"Women's intuition? Sexist much?"
"It's relationship stuff, but if you don't want to know…"
She laughed. "Sure. Shoot."
"It's about work. My boss, she's usually pretty tough. A while back, something must have happened in her personal life. I don't know what it was, but she got pretty depressed about it. She just…lost interest. Really weird. Then, last week, she changed again. She turned really irritable, just…bitchy. And she's been avoiding my supervisor. You know, the big guy?"
"With the weird optical implants?"
"Yeah. They were always buddy-buddy before, they were in the army together before this job. They trusted each other, I guess. But now everything is messed up. She's bitchy to us, but she just ignores him. It's really uncomfortable when they're in a room together."
His wife thought a moment, chewing her lower lip. Finally she said, "They probably slept together."
Togusa choked. "No. No way. That would never happen."
"How do you know? I love you, but you can be really dense about stuff like that. It's not your fault. You're a man, after all."
"So enlighten me."
"Remember when you were on trial for shooting that horrible man?"
"No, I don't remember. Are you kidding?"
"I met your boss and your supervisor then. Only for a minute, and I was sort of distracted, but I got a definite vibe from them."
"Vibe?"
"They're both scary people, right? They tried to be nice, but they couldn't totally hide the scary-ness. But when they looked at each other…" She shrugged. "It's hard to explain. They softened. There was respect, yes, and something else too. Romantic tension, maybe. I sound like a chick lit novel."
"No, you're right. Everyone knows he's got a serious thing for her. But her…"
"But you said she was upset about something. People do crazy things when they're feeling vulnerable. Trust me, she's got something for him too. And maybe it just happened. Nothing screws up a work environment as badly as employees sleeping together."
Togusa raised an eyebrow. "How would you know?"
"I wasn't always a stay at home mom, you know. I had a job once. Oh, don't look at me like that. I didn't sleep with my co-workers."
"Good to know." Togusa carried his plate to the sink. "That's crazy, though. I never would have guessed."
His wife stood up. "If I'm right. Come on, you look beat. Let's go to bed."

Converting /tmp/php66NHrq to /dev/stdout