Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Because of You ❯ chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Because of You
 
Sequel to: This I Promise You
 
Written by: Chocho
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Gravitation or the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of this story.
 
Summary: The only thing they have in common is their abhorrence for Shuichi. Karin claims he murdered her brother. Scott maintains that he is responsible for the death of his daughter. Karin and Scott's meeting may have been coincidental, but their plan to assassinate Shuichi is not.
 
Chapter summary: While Scott is once again on the run from the police, letting his sister to deal with the police, Shuichi and Eiri finally make it to the hospital.
 
Warning: Angst, drama, m-preg, language, m/m sexual content
 
Inserts: Slight reference to “Parental Revenge”
 
A/N: For those of you who were not sure who Riku was, you should know who he is by now. He is Kitazawa Yuki's son. I believe in Gravitation Ex Vol. 1 he's more like ten or something, but I made him five because I'm not completely sure. In Gravitation Ex vol. 1, we learn that ever since his mother died five years before Eiri and Shu met him in New York, Yoshiki (Kitazawa Yuki's younger transgender brother turned sister) has been taking care of him. Seeing as Riku became instantly attached to Shu (calls him “mama”) and Eiri (who is pathetically jealous of him) that I had them adopt him, but he goes back and forth between New York and Japan on a regular basis. Does that make sense?
 
 
***
 
 
Chapter 23
 
 
[He typed the name into the computer and the answer popped onto the screen.
 
“Rinjin Yasashii…Deceased…,” he paraphrased from the report.
 
Now he remembered. This was the guy who stalked Shindou. He ended up murdering Shindou's two bodyguards before abducting Shindou as he was leaving for the studio. The guy held the singer captive and tried to murder him. There was a struggle. The railing, which had been loose, snapped under their weight, sending Rinjin and Shindou plummeting from the second floor of the condo. Rinjin's neck snapped in the fall. He died instantly. Shindou had been left temporary paralyzed.
 
“Only living relative is…Rinjin Karin.”
 
The owner of the Honda, Ehara realized with a start.
 
“Relationship to the deceased…Sister.”
 
Sister? If she blamed Shindou for her brother's death, then that certainly would explain a lot.
 
Sirens sounded in the distance.
 
This lady had to be stopped. She may not a pro, but she was dangerous. That was evident in the fact that she had no problem going after three innocent children and attempting to commit vehicular manslaughter. If she would go that far, then what else would she do?]
 
 
***
 
 
(Osaka, Japan)
 
Shuichi was not sure how they knew they were inside the van pulling up to the emergency room entrance at Osaka University Hospital, the van was brand new, it being a Christmas present from the Seguchi's, and had darkly tinted windows, but as soon as Tohma turned off the busy main street and drove up to the emergency room doors under the carport on the west side of the hospital, the mass of media personnel swarmed the van like vultures who had spotted a quick, easy meal.
 
Shuichi cringed away from the sight and buried his face in Eiri's shirt. This was not something he wanted to have to deal with right now. All he wanted was to see his boys.
 
Eiri tightened his hold on Shuichi. “Seguchi…!”
 
“Don't worry,” Tohma assured his brother's-in law. “It's been taken care of.”
 
Eiri was not sure what that meant, but he trusted his sister's husband.
 
 
~*~
 
 
(Upstate New York)
 
“What am I being arrested for?” Matilda shouted angrily. “I didn't do nothin'.”
 
“Matilda Schild, you are under arrest for aiding and abetting a fugitive.”
 
“You can't prove nothin'!”
 
Matilda Schild struggled against the handcuffs chewing into her wrists that trapped her hands behind her back and fought against the solid grips of the officers on either side of her as they dragged her kicking and screaming to the awaiting patrol car.
 
As long as her brother got away, she did not care what happened to her.
 
The woman officer on her right said, “You have the right to remain silent. You have the right…”
 
Matilda tuned the woman out as she was read her Miranda rights. She ignored the swarm of police officers surrounding and invading her house. The news, both local and national, was disregarded. Her neighbors went unobserved, but she caught sight of Sibilia in the crowd and caught her eye briefly. Sibilia gave the slightest of nods.
 
Matilda sneered as anther patrol car pulled into the drive. They could bring any amount of their comrades as they wanted, but it would do them no good. Her brother was long gone by now.
 
She went white when she read what was written on the side of the car. It was a K-9 unit.
 
She prayed as she was put none-too-gently into the backseat of the police car.
 
Please, be safe out there, she thought to her brother.
 
 
~*~
 
 
Scott ripped through the thicket of undergrowth and tore past the abundant foliage, tripping over clumps of vines and exposed roots. Things reached out for him like hungry hands, scratching and clawing at his face, ripping at the button up shirt he had borrowed from a laundry mat. It would not do to be seen in his prison uniform. He was trying to avoid being sent back to jail.
 
He flew through the forest like a madman. Panic surged through him. Sweat danced on his skin, soaking through his shirt. His heart was pounding, beating hard against his ribcage.
 
Suddenly the ground underneath him vanished and he found himself staring down a ten-foot high overhang. He reached out blindly and was able to grab the trunk of a nearby tree. Hugging the tree for dear life, his pulse pounding in terror, he glanced with wide eyes over the jut. Below him was what he assumed was a dried up stream.
 
Risking a swift glance over his shoulder, a huge surge of relief swept through him when he saw that nobody appeared to be chasing after him. He sagged back against the tree and doubled over with his hands on his thighs and his head hung low, panting heavily as he tried to catch his breath.
 
Scott glanced back over his shoulder in the general direction of his sister's cabin. He was worried about her. He had not known what to expect when he showed up at her door, but luckily for him she welcomed him with open arms and had even agreed to hide him until things settled down. Unfortunately, it seems that not everybody was as generous as Matilda. He had to remember to thank Sibilia, his sister's neighbor and best friend since childhood, for giving them a heads up. A second later and he would even now be watching these woods through the backseat window of a New York State Police patrol car.
 
No. He refused to return to prison until the job was done. Shindou had to pay for what he did to his little girl.
 
Maybe what that idiot girl did was a good thing after all. He had yelled at her for screwing up their plans, but now that he thought about it, it was tit for tat was it not? Shindou killed his only child and now with the help of Karin, Shindou was even now experiencing the same pain he has been suffering through for the past decade. He had been raised to believe that two wrongs did not make a right. He knew doing this was not going to bring back his baby girl, but Deborah needed to be able to rest in peace and this was the only way to ease her suffering.
 
A sudden blinding flash of lightening illuminated the entire area briefly as if it were the middle of the day, taking him by complete surprise. Then there was a deafening explosion of thunder that ripped through the night air. Scott cried out as the ground suddenly gave away beneath him. He watched helplessly as the ground rushed up to meet him. All the air was pushed out of his lungs in one fell swoop as he slammed hard into the ground. He covered his head with his arms as wooden shards rained down around him.
 
When all was quiet again, he glanced behind him. Where just seconds before he had been standing was nothing more then the chard remains of what had been a tree.
 
The distant yelp of a dog slashed through the almost unnatural stillness that had followed the explosion.
 
“Shit,” he hissed.
 
His heart jumping out of his chest, he ignored the buzzing in his ear and the annoying trickle down his cheek and staggered to his feet. He tore across the long gone stream into the thick grove of trees, pushing past the branches and undergrowth as they tried to hold him back.
 
The night sky flashed strobe-like with brilliant light. The air rumbled with a clap of thunder.
 
With a surprised yelp, he tripped over an exposed root. Regaining his balance and cursing soundly, he pushed back to his feet and continued his flight through the nearly impenetrable forest just as the sky opened above him and hard pellets of water rained down upon him in sheets.
 
Dammit! This was all he needed!
 
 
***TBC***
 
 
A/N: You know, I'm curious. What would “Miranda Rights” be called in Japan? What are they? And what about an APB (All Points Bulletin)? Just curious.
 
In the next chapter, we will learn what has become of the boys.