Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Surprises ❯ Chapter Two - Falling ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Piece by piece, I come undone.
Lose my equilibrium
but I don't care.
All around and down we go
swimming in the undertow
with you there is
no fear.”

- Falling, Susanna Hoffs, Susanna Hoffs, 1996
 
K groaned as he rolled onto his side and glanced at his alarm clock. Three a.m. and his phone was ringing. Not a good way to get a good night's sleep.
 
Stifling a yawn, K hauled himself out of his bed and shuffled into his kitchen, flipping the lights on as he went. He picked up on about the seventh ring and pressed the receiver against his ear. “Hello?”
 
“Claude?” the voice on the other line sounded familiar . . . and panicked.
 
“Judy?” he blinked, his senses becoming a little more alert. “What is it? What's wrong?”
 
“Claude, oh thank god I got a hold of you,” Judy sobbed. “I didn't think you'd be awake at this hour.”
 
“I am,” he assured her. “So what is it? What's going on?”
 
“I want to come home, Claude . . . I can't take this anymore! I . . .”
 
“Calm down, Judy,” K soothed. “Calm down. Tell me what's going on.”
 
“Everything is so messed up . . . Claude, I need your help . . .”
 
* * *
 
The flight from New York took less than eight hours but, to K, it felt like twenty-four. After he'd hung up with Judy, he'd gotten on the first flight to Los Angeles. The girl had become frightened and for good reason. She had confided in him that the director had been making passes at her and groping her then began to cut back on her lines when she rebuffed him. If there was anything that K hated more, it was someone taking advantage of one of his clients, especially his female clients. But, with Judy, it ran a little deeper. K knew it. He just didn't have a name for it. Yet.
 
Once his flight had landed, he flagged down the first taxi that he could and headed straight for Judy's hotel. He had just walked into the lobby as she stepped off the elevator.
 
“Claude!” She launched himself into his arms and immediately began to sob once more. Before she'd flung herself at him, he'd been able to get a good look at her.
 
'Dark eyes, pinched cheeks . . . poor girl hasn't been sleeping right.'
 
“It's all right,” he murmured, wrapping his arms around her. “It's all right. I'm here now. No one's going to bother you like that again. I promise.”
 
“You promise?” she gazed at him, her tired eyes becoming hopeful.
 
“I promise. Come on. You need to get some sleep.”
 
“But I have to be on the set . . .”
 
“Don't worry about it,” K grinned. “You're taking today off, just like the rest of the crew will be. They just don't know it yet.”
 
“What are you going to do?” Judy inquired, a frown creasing her features.
 
“Nothing too terribly drastic. Come on. Back to your room.”
 
He ushered her back into the elevator and to her room. Once he had her settled safe and snug in her bed, he picked up the phone . . .
 
* * *
 
“This is an outrage!” the weaselly-looking man fumed. “You can't do this!”
 
K sighed and shook his head, his own mood matching the director's . . . only blacker. Lack of sleep, an eight-hour flight, and concern for his client's well-being were finally taking their toll on him.
 
“Well, I have,” he snapped, resisting the urge to backhand the fool. “I've already told the producers about your harassment of Judy and you are now on notice. Keep it up and, not only will you be looking for a new job, you'll be dealing with me. Again. You don't want to do that.”
 
“Bah! You're just her manager! What could you possibly do to me?” came the growl.
 
Before the man had time to blink, K had him in a chokehold, the butt of his gun pressed against the back of his head. As soon as he was on his knees, he began to struggle but K's grip was hard to break.
 
“I've served in the United States Air Force,” K breathed, keeping his tone smooth and ice cold. “Special Ops. I've killed men for lesser offenses than this because of that service. Do not underestimate me or what it is that I can do to you. Now. You will cease and desist with your advances on Judy. She doesn't want you nor does she need you. Keep it up and I will do worse than this. Much worse. This is your final warning.”
 
Slowly, K eased up and allowed the man to get back on his feet. Without sparing him a second glance, K strode towards the door, flicking back his hair and only pausing when the director spoke again.
 
“In all my years of directing, I have never met a manager who acts like you. Why? What's the deal, anyway? She's a client.”
 
“I take my job seriously,” he replied simply. “It's my duty to make sure that my clients are treated with dignity and respect, and to ensure that they get the jobs worthy of them. I just like to go above and beyond the call of duty.”
 
He slammed the door shut, his final words having been spoken.
 
'Time to tell Judy she's got nothing to worry about.'
 
* * *
 
“He won't be bothering me anymore?”
 
“Nope,” K smiled. “I talked to him personally.”
 
Judy sat there, digesting the information he had given her. Then she glanced up at him and smiled in return.
 
“Thanks, Claude. You didn't have to do that, you know.”
 
“I wanted to,” he told her. “As I told him, I take my job seriously, and I'll go beyond what's necessary to make sure that you get what you deserve.”
 
“I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like you, Claude,” she murmured, her eyes lowering almost shyly. “You're . . . different.”
 
“Don't mention it, Judy. Don't mention it.”
 
* * *
 
Night had fallen over the California coastline but, with all of the businesses still open and the streetlights on, it was almost impossible to tell. K stared out the window and watched as cars drove by then turned his head to the sleeping female on the bed. Already, he had begun to form plans on training her to be able to defend herself from creeps like that director, and she had accepted his proposal gratefully and eagerly. He allowed himself a tiny smile.
 
'She looks so angelic . . . so peaceful . . . She isn't afraid to fight. I could fall in love with a woman like her. I really could.'
 
A yawn erupted from him and he shook his head. He had to get some sleep and soon. His exhaustion was beginning to take its toll on him.
 
“Sleep well, Judy,” he whispered as he sat in the large recliner chair. “I'll be here to watch over you. I promise.”
 
He fell asleep a few minutes later.